Chapter 7.02 – Battle For The Future Part 2
14 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raderius

My forces marched forward. Silent footsteps in perfect unity, if not for the magical bombardments annihilating many of my undead it would have been a perfect silence only disrupted by the clashing of steel and the enemies death screams. Instead, the colorful sounds of magic disrupt the silence. There's only so much I can unbind and the undead mages can block, especially when I need to reserve my strength for each of the Dukes, princes and the King.

I quickly analyze the battlefield through the eyes of thousands of undead.

Abominations lead the way redirecting and absorbing as much damage as they can. Some take more than the threshold of their regeneration allows them to recover from and perish. As long as they serve their defensive purpose, its a worthwhile sacrifice.

I see the ghouls rushing into walls of spear infantry, many perishing. Those who reach the front line begin disrupting the formation clawing and slashing, some ghouls get distracted mid-battle and begin feasting. I allow it, the sight should demoralize the enemy. The feasting incentivizes more ghouls, their speed becoming much greater, many spear strikes miss their mark as yet more ghouls find the opportunity to claw away. Spear formations becoming disrupted, swordsmen step in and the whole situation devolves into a brawl of steel, tooth and claw.

Skeletons face against their living counterparts in an even battle, this one a dark parody of traditional battle as the dead led by their skeleton champions match the enemy in perfect formation the flow of battle swings back and forth, the living are stronger the dead more numerous. Magic Knights turn the tide of battle at several locations. Equally so, wights from my forces turn the tide in yet other locations on the battlefield.

Groups of wights take on magic knights in what must feel like a desperate struggle from the knights perspective. Magic Knights higher than grade three have a solid advantage over wights able to use unique spells that give them the upper hand in a duel. Wights group up to try and change the tide against superior opponents. Even one lucky strike is sufficient to spell the beginning of the end as the damage to the soul disorients and disrupts the knights.

Revenants face off against the magic knights that are Grade 6 and above. The destruction of their battle obliterates their surroundings killing any stray soldier or minor undead. Each revenant is as unique as each magic knight, impossible to discern the flow of this battle at this early stage.

Skeletal cavalry supported by wraiths face the enemy cavalry, here the enemy has the clear advantage. Mounted magic knights supporting the cavalry are overwhelming my forces, even with how early the battle is I can tell they will need support. I quickly redirect some of the faster undead.

Specters hover around the edges of the battlefield, looking to hone in on and assassinate enemy mages.

Colossal Skeletons turn the tide of battle in the areas they're located. Faster than enemies expect and with powerful blows, they provide tough opposition wherever they are.

All of this I analyze in under ten seconds. If the enemy army has one advantage its that when working in unity they can overcome foes stronger than them and hold back the tide of overwhelming darkness that my undead present. At the battles current pace i'd estimate the enemy will suffer anywhere between 50%-75% casualty and achieve victory. Of course, thats only at the current pace.

I spot my first target. A man in golden armor wielding a silver tipped halberd. Each of his strikes annihilate the undead in his path. Simultaneously, he orders his soldiers expertly, maneuvering them to minimize casualty while maximizing the damage they can inflict in such a position. Clearly, Duke Eisner is well deserving of his moniker as the physically strongest Duke.

Lets create the first gap.

I move. A black blur of shadow to all who could notice me amidst the chaos of battle. I arrive before the Duke.

The golden man saw me, ordered his troops to stay away and aimed his halberd at me as he began a careful approach.

A boring man.

I rush him, he keeps up with my speed and manages to aim a blow for my head. I duck and continue my forward momentum, my blade skewers him like a pig.

A moment later, he turns on his men. The sight of their Duke being gutted as easily as a common man, as if here were a mere child before me, combined with their newfound lack of leadership and a strong undead approaching them meant victory in this part of the battle was as good as mine.

For me, this isn't so much a battlefield as it is a hunting ground. Now, where would be my next target?

King Christian Lemillious

Organizing this hellish excuse for a battle might be the death of me, even if we were to achieve victory, the amount of reports received and orders issued is overwhelming. I cannot delegate this duty though, all who I could rely on need to be on the field, upholding morale and turning the tide. The necromancers army is immense, but its inferior to my own. There are key undead that need to be isolated and destroyed, but otherwise with great sacrifice victory will be ours.

Is this all that my gut was telling me? The elimination of the majority of the kingdoms military strength? While the consequences will put us in a weaker position politically, overall that would still be a win as far as i'm concerned. Hmmm. Its a shame, but I can't see anything amiss.

"The necromancer has slain Duke Eisner and his men would be in a rout if they weren't backed into a corner! Furthermore, the necromancer raised Eisner and is using him!' a messenger reported.

Clementines husband, a shame. The man was gaudy but powerful. I accepted their marriage for a variety of reasons and if I had the time, I would be grieving on behalf of my granddaughter.

Alas, his name is just one among many at this point. Still, now that we know the location of the necromancer I dispatch the messenger to redeploy my son, Mecidius and have him intercept the necromancer. If he utilizes the magic knights effectively alongside his own strength, surely the necromancer will perish.

Mecidius Lemillious

The battlefield is where my heart is set ablaze. When I overpower my victims and feel their life leave their body. When I stand above the enemy as victor. Until now, that is always how I've viewed it.

Looking now I can see how wrong I've been. In this desperate struggle for survival, this must be how those I've fought felt. I can see now; why my father built the Kingdom of Milos to be peaceful. To avoid this horror being inflicted on his people. Its unfortunate, that this horror was thrust onto him instead. It would have been ironic, as his son destroys the peace he built. If I survive this battle, I will pursue a new strategy in the succession.

"Sir, left flank 60 plisecs away is the necromancer!" A messenger reported. "Your father wishes for you to redeploy your forces and engage!"

That location, its where Duke Eisner was deployed. If he was slain then any magic knight below 8th grade is dead weight. Some of the 8th and 9th grade Knights need to remain where they are or we'll get overwhelmed and possibly lose before we can even slay the necromancer. I take fifty grade eight knights and ten grade nines with me as well as requesting the back up of one mage as I set forth to face the necromancer.

Annette Lemillious

"Oh bountiful light, bring us your divine might and heal these wounded souls." I chant a invocation to my healing spell, its far less effective and inefficient than just casting heal with a quick hand gesture, but the wounded i'm attending to are rather strong and the longer I can delay their recovery to go back into the fray the more I can tip the battle into Raderius's favor. Of course, nobody but me realizes that and the power of my healing spell with a chant is still something to be acknowledged.

I use my oracle eyes, a spell that only works in daylight and lets me get a view of the entire battlefield. It seems father is about to engage the necromancer. Hmmm, the time to play my hand is approaching.

I feel so giddy! My heart races, I knew Raderius wouldn't disappoint me, now to take my man.

Mecidius Lemillious

I face against a monster wearing the trappings of a man. A pale complexion, dark hair and slightly slanted eyes adorning a noble visage. His weapon and aura betray his true nature. A power hungry freak.

The magic knights and I engage him, shockwaves from our swift charge echo across the battlefield as we unleash combat spell after combat spell. Some knights fly above him darting in and out in a relentless hit and run attack. Magically enhanced weapons supported by impossible bodies of power, the pride of Milos; leave the monster on the defensive unable to have a single opportunity to strike back.

Undead try to intercept this battle, the 7th grades and lower that I could afford to redeploy hold them back and enable us to continue this relentless barrage of blows.

No matter how well the necromancer unbinds, guards, parries and blocks with this many skilled warriors its inevitable that we land decisive strikes one after another. Frustratingly, it seems he doesn't register them as he regenerates from the carnage we inflict onto him.

Monster.

Every second the battle goes on against the monster increases the odds of his undead rescuing him. Its only for so long that the 7th grades and lower can hold back the tide.

We need a plan, he seems content to allow us to attack him until his undead create the opening he requires.

Decapitation. At the end of the day no matter how I paint him in a dark light the man is human. Even he will not survive without his head.

Still, its easier said than done, we would need a coordinated strike where all are attempting to decapitate him; if we wanted to guarantee success, but I can't organize the men like that mid battle.

Still, I need to try.

"Go for the head!" I yell out.

Christos Lemillious

The woman before me is insane. Previously, I believed that Countess Neiros was using the necromancer to ascend. That she was fighting alongside him out of desperation. Yet, as I trade blows with her I can feel it. Her fervor, her devotion. She worships the necromancer like a God. She can feel my emotions to. The disgust that I have for her and she laughs at it as she strikes down at me.

A formidable opponent, branches aim precisely for joints in my armor while entire trees try to smack me down as the countess herself rains blows upon me, a relentless aggressive fighting style. One filled with gaps that I try to exploit, only to discover her recovery from any wound I deal.

I see, she's reckless because she has little to fear. A spell that powerful will require a strike to the heart or the removal of her head. Still, I can't seem to find an opening. Around me, my soldiers fight the dead and her living subordinates. I can't seem to spot Valentino amidst the carnage. Perhaps he's engaged in his own battle?

A branch pierces a joint and I yell out in pain. I keep fighting this desperate struggle. Slowly, I realize the truth. I'm going to die. Unless something changes I will lose the contest.

Then Valentino showed up, his armor is destroyed he's barely clinging to life. What sort of monster did he face? I only have a moment to ponder the question as he rushes the woman. He grabs lady Neiros and I see it, my opening to decapitate her.

I bring my sword down upon her, as her head leaves her body.

I go to help my friend up when to my horror I see it.

Valentino is dead, pierced by branches.

Valentino, your sacrifice. I will never forget it. I turn back to the corpse of Neiros only to be disturbed.

Her head is nowhere to be found.

Raderius

I hadn't quite anticipated the rapid redeployment of forces, this situation I find myself in, surrounded and desperately holding back the magic knights seeking to slay mem was, unexpected; to say the least. Its because of that mage. In the background, of our battle I've spotted him skulking. He must have an affinity that allows for teleportation, or some other way to travel at swift speeds. Still, there are more important matters at hand. It seems their commander has seen through my regeneration and identified my weakness. Though his low ranking subordinates are being overwhelmed and I'm sure the lack of these knights in the battlefield is causing chaos elsewhere, the enemy has chosen a strategy that seeks to eliminate me above all else.

Its always the same. These nobles, looking to sacrifice anyone to achieve a victory. Its tedious really.

Still, this predicament. I believe I've found a way out, but it'll render me useless for the rest of the battle. Everything will be left to my army.

Regardless, I have to gamble on that chance or the sheer number of the enemy forces will overwhelm me.

I channel my aura into arcane enhancement, feeding the basic spell with everything I've got.

Previously, I used this in short bursts to become a blur of speed. Something only possible due to my unprecedented quantity of aura. However, now, I was going to sustain it.

The ninth grade who flew above me had been going in and out. He knew that his blows were nothing but mere distraction, but persisted so that his comrades could land the killing blow. He worked in coordination with four grade 8 knights to make sure that I would have no room for counterattacking.

Or so they thought.

When they performed what at this point was a habitual maneuver, I struck.

In seconds four knights lay dead at my feet. The shock lasted three seconds. Enough time to slay six more knights.

I rampaged, my sword cutting down one knight after another in a motion so fast that for the first time in my life, my mind could not keep up with my body. The knights I slew rose. Together we overwhelmed the enemy. Most of the newly raised knights were destroyed and gone forevermore. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Next to me, one of my thralls stood, the leader of the group, one of the princes; of that I had no doubt. In addition to him I had seven new grade 8 servants and two grade nine. The enemy had destroyed my risen knights as quickly as I made them. To have slain 10 grade nines and 50 grade 8's plus one of the crown princes on my own. I felt pride in my accomplishment, but as I surveyed the battlefield, I saw the reality of my situation. Neiros was missing. Seven enemy Dukes were slain. The Mages were engaging my specters in a tense fight. The rest of my forces were engaged in battles all over that ranged from dominating victories to desperate defeats. This battle, victory or defeat would be a dice roll, fifty fifty odds. I retreat to a location a fair distance from the battlefield, keeping the newly risen undead with me to determine where they should be deployed.

Still, do I entrust my fate to luck and those fifty fifty odds?

As these thoughts entered my mind, a burst of light from deep in the battlefield rapidly approached me. Its entrance obliterated the newly risen knights and prince.

"Oops, sorry father." The voice laughed.

My eyes gazed upon the holder of that voice and I found myself entranced.

Golden hair, blue eyes, a sweet smile adorned a face that seemed to light up the world itself as brilliantly as her magic. A white dress, that despite having almost certainly been in mud remained unblemished, only a slight crease that indicated a pocket marred its beauty. A bodacious figure and generous assets, perhaps it was the fatigue of my previous fight, but lustful thoughts that I hadn't experienced in my adolescence for the first time were brought to bear.

I dispel the notion. She said father, she maintains a look of happiness and puts on a brave face, but I'm sure the grief of me killing her father will leave no room for negotiation. I curse my mind, to have not accounted for a taxing battle. I curse my fate, to be cut short when I'm on the precipice of greatness. I have no aura to resist and while my unenhanced physical might could be enough for a grade 4 or lower, I could tell by looking at her. She's stronger than grade 9.

"Raderius." My name came from her lips and I detested her dragging out my execution. Still, its true that I don't want to die. Why not have a final conversation and see if she leaves me an opening?

"My name precedes me, forgive me, but the King is rumored to have four beautiful granddaughters. Which are you?" I asked

"My name is Annette Lemilious." she replied in the same sweet voice that laughed at obliterating her fathers undead figure.

Ah, the unmarried one. She is as beautiful as the rumors described.

"What do you think of this battle, Raderius?" she continued with a question.

"If not for you, I think the odds are even, that it would be as good as a dice roll to determine who wins. I've maneuvered my forces best I could, and personally eliminated a significant portion of the elites of your army, but there are still plenty of strong knights and powerful undead on both sides. The battle will likely rage for a half hour more before the victor becomes clear. Of course, once you slay me it wont matter and victory will belong to your side." I said matter of factly.

"Yes, that is the tactical situation, but what do you think of the battle? Did you want it? Have you enjoyed it?" Annette reiterated the question a bit differently.

"The thrill of facing sixty powerful opponents at once was invigorating, even though I was at a disadvantage. Yes, I enjoyed it. As for wanting it, to be honest I was willing to be a loyal vassal of the King; but the prince, Clovis, he painted a picture of your family that was displeasing. I believed that if he was what the royal family amounted to, then the royal family should be eliminated for being to weak. Of course, having faced the other prince and now being met with your own great power. My opinion has changed. To late I suppose, an impulse getting me killed." I laugh at the notion. Its cruel, making me reflect on my mistake. To judge a family by one member of it, its like I was as ignorant as my departed father.

Still, I wonder if she recognizes that each second this conversation continues she is dooming the life of one of her soldiers. Actually, now that I think about it.

"Why didn't you assist your father? With that speed you just showed, you could have. A powerful individual like yourself would have been enough to tip the scales and secure victory." I questioned her motive. The more I thought about it, the less it made sense.

"Right now, a messenger is informing the King of my fathers passing and my sudden engagement in battle with you. You did well to retreat out of sight so that we could talk." she said all of this with an eager smile. Is it not a facade? Did she hate her father and is pleased by his passing?

"Oh no, nothing like that." as if she read my thoughts she replied.

"Father just needed to die for the current situation to occur. Its not like I wanted him dead, but I cant hold back my joy at our meeting, I've heard so much good about you. The kind of ruler you are." she explained frantically, as if worried that my question meant my opinion of her had decreased.

"Raderius, you have two choices right now. I have no desire to slay you, so you may roll the dice and see if my fathers army will emerge victorious, hunt you down and destroy you. You may emerge victorious; with that option, and be able to take over the kingdom. Though, it won't be much of a kingship when you don't know what you're doing and have to few loyal vassals. I suspect court intrigue will see you assassinated, or you'll rule a kingdom of the dead with no living subjects. Though, that wouldn't make you happy. I can tell from your rulership as Duke and from meeting you now what kind of person you are." she spoke true. I couldn't disagree with her assessment.

"And the other option?" I asked

She got down on her knees and withdrew a small box hidden within her dress. Inside was a crystal wedding band with a insignia adorning it.

"Marry me." she proposed.

0