Chapter 8.03 – Duke Raderius Lemillious
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raderius

Each day I bring power and prosperity to the people of Avantine. I have a vast network of vassals and delegates to enact my will. The people rejoice at their newfound wealth and freedom. My wife supports me each step of the way. Her brilliant mind suggesting plans that I hadn't considered. Her strength bringing me to a new level of confidence that I could tell was bordering on arrogance. Her intense love reaching my own heart and resonating with the new found emotional connection.

Yet, still I am not satisfied. I desire more.

Power, wealth, prestige. Every fiber of my body is asking me to break myself in training, to get stronger. My tastes have grown, they desire the most exotic delicacies. My soul yearns to bathe in the adoration of my people.

As my desires grow, the title of King Consort which ordinarily would be of no interest to me becomes more appealing. I've been filled in on the details of the royal selection. That there are essentially two camps between my wife and her brother. My instincts tell me to break Annettes brothers will, to assert my own claim to power and send him cowing in terror.

However, I've been warned and I've seen it myself, that taking such an action would be a path to ruling a Kingdom of Death. Such a Kingdom may be able to cater to my desire for power, my newfound taste for delicacies, but it would never satisfy my desire for adoration. Even if living residents remained they would inevitably only fear me, not worship me.

Worship. As soon as the word crosses my mind, the reality of it becomes all to apparent.

I don't desire mere adoration, I wish to be worshipped. To be the God of these mortals.

I slew two hundred thousand men with my own power. I can single handedly bring a country to its knees, what else could I be but a God?

Wait.

There's still a truth I cannot deny. If not for Annette, I would have had the possibility of defeat and fate choosing the victor that day. I cannot be a God if I am not invincible. My aura quantity is immense, but its not infinite. I ran out in that battle. I still rely on my senses to live, if my brain is destroyed, I will perish.

I wish to rectify this, to become truly immortal. Yet, I cannot see the path to achieving this power. Not yet anyway. As for the wealth I've grown accustomed to, even if I devote myself to my people the fact is that a base level of tax will be able to sate my every whim. The nobles who sought more luxury than the amount I now experience on a daily basis are truly a bunch of greedy failures. Of my three desires, this one is the most sated.

Worship. Now that I've had more than a few moments to understand this desire, reflecting on it I can't help but wonder if my own arrogance has grown. If I'm in the wrong for desiring more than adoration. Yet, I can't bring myself to rebuke the desire; to claim that it diminishes the value of my kindness is a notion I thoroughly reject! I may desire to ascend to a level in which I'm no longer associated with the common man, looming far above them, but that does not diminish the emotions I feel. The love, for it cannot be described as any other word that I feel for my people. Even still, I haven't lost my wits, I can recognize reality.

Nobody will worship me while they hold other Gods in esteem above me. Interestingly, religion that worships me, would need to start independently of me. However, once the spark of devotion is lit in my citizenry I merely need to fan the flame, however I cannot initiate that spark on my own. Frustrating as it may be, this desire may never be sated. Still, I can at least settle for adoration and work towards that.

Time passes, weeks from the battle that determined both my fate and the fate of Milos turned into months. My aura capacity has grown. The people of Avantine have accepted me in every way as their Lord. None remain who hold any fear for the undead. Those who did left the lands, a paltry few compared to the many who wished to settle here from other Duchies. News has spread about a Young Duke Lemillious, a benevolent necromancer who found love on the battlefield. Bards have exaggerated the details of the battle and turned it into a incident that people look on romantically rather than cruelly. I find it bizarre that such a turn of events has taken shape, but it makes me to happy to question.

At this rate, it would seem that Annette and I are going to win the royal selection. The support of the common man will weigh on the Dukes that are in my rivals camp. Given enough time they will have no choice but to break and change sides or face a loss in their own reputation.

As I reflect on this between listening to the troubles of my people and making proclamations a messenger from the King appears in my court.

"To the esteemed Duke Lemillious, King Lemillious has requested that you and Duchess Lemillious attend a royal ball. A celebration of the Kingdoms founding is to be held in two months. It is with great hope that bridges can be mended and that a peaceful resolution to succession can be found at the ball."

A surprising turn of events! To think that my father in law is taking personal involvement with the royal succession. For these past months he has largely stayed out of it, Annettes network of relations informed me that her brother sought audience with the King and desired interference in his favor but was swiftly rejected. The King had proclaimed he will not interfere in this succession. I wonder what changed his mind? Is there a scheme behind this? I don't wish to compete with a mind that was able to keep up with my own strategically, but it seems I'll have no choice. Its unlikely, considering his absence at our wedding, but it is possible that he means to support Annette.

"Tell the King that my wife and I will both be in attendance, and that we wish him good health and look forward to the path of peace he offers."

My wife sits by my side during moments like these, she does not speak often, ordinarily deferring to my authority. As it should be. However, while she is usually very attentive to both my words and the speakers I can tell that her mind is still focused on the messengers and hasn't processed my own. I'll ask her what she thinks tonight.

The rest of the day had rather mundane matters to take care of. After my work for the day had been completed I trained my mind, body and magic for the remainder of the evening. Missing dinner is not normal for me, but I feel that i'm on the edge of a new breakthrough in my power. As the hours got late, I sighed that I hadn't yet broken this threshold of strength and moved to return to my chambers.

Anette awaited me, her expression grim.

"My love do not be alarmed but I believe that father and brother will try to assassinate you at the ball. Well, not directly at the ball, but during the event they likely have concocted a plan to slay you. I don't know what method they've secured to feel confident enough to make a move, but I'm certain that if you go your life is in jeopardy!" Annette started calmly, but her voice grew more anxious as she kept speaking.

"You would have me write and decline the invitation?" I asked letting my displeasure at such a cowardly notion seep through my voice. If a contest is what they desire, then a contest they will have. I trust Annette. If she says that the event is meant to slay me, then that is what the purpose of it is. Still, I desired a peaceful resolution and to not have to stain my hands in more blood. Knowing that I will be slaying what should be my family makes my blood boil. To force his granddaughter to choose between her blood and our marriage leaves me utterly irate. For Annettes brother to be so callous and be a accomplice in this leaves me with nothing but disdain for my rival. I will crush them all.

"My love, to do so would put us back politically in the succession. I will not lie there are downsides to rejecting the invitation. That being said, it would not be sufficient for us to lose the entire war. I believe we should play it safe, to decline is not surrender, we will have another chance at supremacy." Annette walked close to me as she spoke, her former anxiousness did not show on her face or in her words. Her resolve was firm to me. I embraced her.

"You may be right, but I cannot let this insult to you stand. This insult to us. The terrible position that your family has put you in. I want to make them pay for it, even if I'll be at a disadvantage, I wish to fight." My words were soft, but I made it clear that my resolve was as firm as hers.

A mixture of emotions swept across Annettes face, but the meaning behind them was definitive. Love. Though I thought it no longer possible, seeing the care someone had for me, plain as day. I couldn't help but be happy.

"Very well my beloved. I will relent, however we will need to discuss strategy -"

I silence her with a kiss, knowing that she's relented to me I don't need to hear anymore. The kiss grows deeper, more passionate, my hands begin to undress her as our lips part and meet. Discussing our plans for the ball can wait. Right now, I'm much more interested in the beautiful figure of the woman who loves and adores me.

0