Chapter Ten: B: The Testament of Arela Hawks
77 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I clung to Josie tightly, not wanting to let go. The moment I had seen her and Miss Shana return to the manor I was filled with an overabundance of worry and shock. Their clothes soaked and in tatters. Their bodies were bloodied and bruised. It was horrifying to see them so hurt, so broken! I had to wait almost an hour before Karakahl and some other witches had been able to treat their injuries, but the moment Josie stepped out into the hall I grabbed onto her. I wanted to cry, I didn’t know what had happened, and I didn’t even need to know. I was just so, sooo worried for them both. 

“It’s okay, Reli,” Josie said, patting my head, “I’ll be fine.” She smiled at me, but her smile felt empty. She was hiding something, something that had wounded her in ways even Lady Karakahl couldn’t heal. I wanted to ask her what happened, to learn everything I could, and help her anyway I could. But I knew better than to ask. I could read it in her eyes, whatever it was that happened, she wasn’t going to be able to talk about it. She pulled herself out of my arms, and stepped away. “I don’t... I don’t think I can really stand any more touching right now. Between you and Shana and Kara... I just need to be left alone okay.”

Shana, what did Shana do? I was confused, and maybe jumping to conclusions, but if I wanted to know what had happened then maybe I’d have to ask Miz Shana. I wanted to protest, but she made it clear. My hugging wasn’t helping her, at least not right then. I hope I didn’t hurt her, or make her mad. I began to worry that she was upset with me, that she wouldn’t want to talk to me. I tried apologizing, but she just shrugged it off. Told me it wasn’t my fault, and went to her own room. The pain in her eyes made my heart ache. It was almost unbearable seeing someone that was normally so happy, and strong, look so sad and defeated. It was as if the woman I knew had been replaced by someone else. But no, it was Josie, she was the same person, she was just...hurt. 

I had been so focused on Josie that I almost forgot about Shana, but the second Josie was out of sight I began brimming with worry over Miz Shana too. I hesitated, thinking I’d only be a bother to her like I was towards Josie, but then at Miki’s egging, I knocked on Shana and Karakahls door. 

“Yes love, come in.” Lady Karkahl invited me into the room.

I pushed open the door, and after a brief pause, lost my better senses, and ran to Miss Shana to hug her tightly. 

“Hey kiddo, it’s okay, we’re alive.” She said with a dry voice as she returned my hug. I could tell she had been crying, just as Josie had, though she was also too tough to let me know that was the case.

“Miz Shana, I was so worried for you two. What happened?” I nearly cried myself.

“The mission got a little hairy, that’s all.” She tried to dismiss my concern, but even I could tell that wasn’t all there was to it. “I really shouldn’t say Kid. That’s really between Josie and me, you know.”

I exhaled through my nose, then buried my face into her chest, “I know, I just... I want to know that you are okay. Both of you. I want to help any way I can.”

“Hey, your concern is help enough,” she chuckled, rustling my hair. “As far as Josie goes, I’m sure things will be fine between you two. She seems to really like you, you know?”

“You sure?” I tilted my head. I know that Josie and I spent most mornings together. Or every morning. And sometimes we spent the night together. But I was just another client right? I didn’t pay her, but Lady Karakahl covered all my expenses. Josie was a professional, and I was a customer. Right? 

“I’m absolutely positive!” She flashed me a grin with a big thumbs up. 

“And you’re sure you’re not hurt? You’re going to be okay?” I saw the back of her neck briefly when they had returned, she had a big nasty burn across it. The kind of burn you’d get from touching red hot steel without welding gloves. If I had to guess, this burn wasn’t from hot metal though. No, she was burnt by malicite. 

“I’m fine kiddo, we got some excellent medical staff here it turns out. Plus lady Kara can always take the pain away.”  

“That doesn’t make me worry any less.” I sounded childish as I pouted. 

“I know, I know.” She sighed.

“Sweetheart, perhaps we should let Miz Shana be, she probably needs the rest,” Miki suggested. 

“Michael is right dear, you should let them get their rest,” Karakahl agreed. “It’s sweet of you to show concern, but they’ve been through a lot and need time to recuperate.”

“It’s not that big a deal,” Shana argued, before yawning with a big stretch, “though I guess I am pretty exhausted.”

“Alright, I’ll go. Good night Miz Shana. And you too Lady Karakahl.”

“Oh Reli darling, we talked about this, call me Kara.” 

“Sorry, Lady Kara.” I bowed my head, hugged Shana one last time, and left. I walked out into the hall, too antsy to return to my room, yet too anxious to go anywhere else, so I forced myself to go to the dining hall. I didn’t spend much time there normally, I prefer not being around too many people. Not to mention  Josie would always bring me my meals anyways, but it was better than boarding myself up in my room and letting my nerves get the best of me. 

It was late at night, so it was slow, the perfect time for me. Most of the people who worked this late were either in the private rooms, or the Starlet hall, so the dining hall was almost deserted. Still there were those who had more nocturnal sleeping habits, especially the Ferael’s. I was surprised to see Dario, and a strange girl sitting at the table talking over mugs of beer. 

“Arela dear!” she called over to me with a jovial cheer, “come and sit with us!” she waved her hands, before patting down on the seat next to her. She was probably the only person who called me by my real name, I guess that’s what it felt like to Shana and Kara when I was formal with them, utterly embarrassing. With my cheeks changing hues, I timidly waddled over to them. 

“Hey there, you must be Orlandis and Jaqui’s kid,” the strange girl with round ears said. 

“You knew my parents?”

“I sure did. Your parents came to me when you were small, they needed me to introduce them to the witch queen. You were very sick, and they wanted her to heal you.”

“Oh, I don’t remember that.” I shook my head.

“You were barely two years old at the time. I’m not surprised you’d forget.” she chuckled, “you’re grown up now, but still adorable.” she turned to Dario, “You better keep her safe old friend, or I’ll have to hurt you.” 

Dario cracked a hoarse laugh like thunder, “My friend, you know you can count on me!”

“That goes for you too, Michael.” she said, turning to me.

“What is this familiarity I feel from you?” Miki asked, taking shape behind me. “You speak my true name, and know my presence.”

“Of course I know you, I’m the one who gave your carta to the Hawks family.”

So she was the one, I had always wondered who it was. Though this actually started to make some things make more sense to me. Was dad’s fascination with the Witch Queen because she healed me? Mom told me he wanted to learn the source of her power, so I always just assumed that was the case. And then there’s Miki, I knew someone gave her to my parents, and now I know who. So wait, if she knew the Witch Queen then that must have meant... “You’re the prophet?”

“Some call me the Prophet,” she answered, “Others call me Wanderer. Though you, little one, can call me Vox.”

“Okay, it’s nice to meet you Vox.” She was so young, but I had heard the rumors about the prophet before. Age didn’t seem to affect her in the same way it affected everyone else. I always thought they were just rumors, but then again if she was someone close to the Witch Queen, then I guess anything is possible. 

“You too hun,” she patted my head.

“I have to admit, you’re not what I was expecting the prophet to well… look like,” I said then quickly stammered out an apology,  “sor…sorry if that sounds rude Miss Vox!”

She laughed then patted my head again, “It’s okay sweetie,” she blushed as she giggled some more then said, “also Imma boy.”

“Oh! Oh I’m really sorry mister Vox!” I buried my face in my arms, afraid my cheeks would be so red they’d practically be glowing.

“It’s okay, I don’t mind it, honestly, but um please don’t call me mister either. Just vox is fine, okay?” his face glowed with a sweet smile.

“Okay, Vox, I am sorry though, I never met a shifter before so I was a little confused.”

“I'm not a shifter either, I’m just me,” he said and I felt as though my blunders would never cease. 

“Perhaps you should change the topic dear,” Mikki suggested.  

“Um, so do you mind if I ask, what are you doing here?” I blurted out.

“I came to see Lady Karakahl, she and I go way ya know. She’s invited me to stay here, till it is time for me to leave again.”

“Oh, so you gave Lady Kara her carta too right?”

“Hey, you’re pretty clever Arela, you really do take after your parents.” He brimmed with a big friendly smile.

“So the Witch Queen wanted you to give Miki to me and Gentle to lady Kara?”

“I wasn’t instructed by the Witch Queen,” he shook his head.

“Was it the goddess then?”

“No one told me who to give the carta to. I simply made my own decisions based on what I felt was best. In fact I even went and lost a couple along the way.”

“You lost the Witch Queen’s carta?” I couldn’t believe it. How could he be so careless? 

“Calm down sweetie, everything has turned out for the better. The Ram is with lady Kara, the Sower with you, Shana has the raven.” He insisted with a soothing yet almost aloof tone. “The River has been found, the Scarlet Flame is also not hard for me to find. All that leaves is the Storm.”

That was only six, Did he lose the seventh? “What about the Maiden?” 

“I’ve got her right here with me. You see I’m a unique case among boys, I can hear the voices of the familiars, but I’m still a boy, so I couldn’t be a witch.”

“So then why haven’t you given her to someone?”

“She has picky tastes.” Huh? Is he serious? I couldn’t imagine something so petty would ever be the reason.

“And you can’t just choose for her?”

“Would you force your friend into a marriage with someone they don’t love?”

“Guh...” So blunt, but he was right. I guess I didn’t think of that.

“They may be spirits, but familiars still have needs and wants. Your union isn’t a workers’ contract. It is a marriage no different from any others.”

For a moment, I almost felt selfish. Miki and I are married? I mean I always knew there was more than just a normal partnership involved, and that did explain a lot about our relationship. I did love her, though I guess I just thought because she was my familiar that it was different. It’s not like the church would recognize it that way after all. Then again, the church didn’t like us in the first place, so I suppose it doesn’t matter what they say, right?

“Miki, am I really your...type?”

“Reli sweetie, don’t be absurd, of course you are. Why would you question that now?”

“I guess I always felt I took you without really asking,” I said shyly.

“You know it was I who called out to you, I didn’t just do that on some whim, but because I desired to be your familiar.”

“See everything worked out!” Vox laughed sweet little giggle, and Dario joined with a jovial laugh. My face turned many different shades of red for the upteenth time, at least I think it did. 

I ate a little and spoke with them a little more, then when the night got late returned to my room. I wasn’t ready to sleep, and was doubtful I’d have been able to even if I tried, but I had my fill of social interaction and needed some space to think. I paced around my room feeling as though I was wandering a library. I’d been given a bigger room ever since lady Kara had officially accepted me into the coven, and honestly it may have been too big. Not that I wasn’t grateful, in fact in many ways it really was perfect.  There was a private bath, bigger than the one I had back home, and many different fragrant salts to bathe with. I also had a huge bookcase filled with so many fascinating texts. My favorites were the mechanical manuals for various different vehicles and machines, there were even a few on land ships. My bed was big enough for at least three people, maybe even more, and was filled with pillows and soft fuzzy blankets. 

Lady Kara had given me so much, and all I did was help steal a caboose. I felt like I didn’t deserve it. Unlike Shana, I never lived out in the wastes, I came from the inner circles, my life began in relative luxury, I only lost that when I lost my parents. Being a mechanic in the seventh circle came with benefits, though those benefits were gone now. Without my father or my mother to tie me to the church, and with this brand over my womb, I was cut off from the authority my name once had. That’s okay though, I’m a witch, and I’m in a coven that loves me, it’s better this way. 

Focusing on my room could only distract me for so long, my thoughts kept going back to Shana and Josie. I loved them both so much, I adored them! Shana was like the big sister I never had, she was just so cool. From the confidence she exuded with her every word and action, to the cocky aloof way she carried herself. I really looked up to her, wished I could be just like her, and well...less like me. It had seemed like nothing in the world would ever bring her down, until that day. I still didn’t know what had happened, and that made it all the more frustrating. I couldn’t help her, then again, even if I knew what was wrong I’d still not have been able to help her. I was so weak, and useless. 

This feeling intensified when I remember the way Josie recoiled the moment I hugged her. Even that little bit of love and support I could show her, did nothing to help her. She was hurting, and I didn’t know why. In some small way I blamed myself, maybe if I had gone with them I could have done something. Or maybe I would have just made things worse?

After dragging myself even further down with my guilt, I looked to my bookshelf for a distraction. I had already read many of the mechanical guides, though I wasn’t against re-reading them. I had also read a few of the ‘alternate history’ books, that is history books that hadn’t been officially printed by the church in the sixth circle. And I’ll admit a few of the sapphic romance novels caught my eye, though I feel I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to read them out of embarrassment. After taking a long time to make a decision, Miki pointed out something I hadn’t noticed.

“Reli dear, there’s a note on this one here.” She pulled a book from the top shelf, far too high for me to ever have reached on my own, and handed it to me. 

“Reli, darling, this book contains the sum of all knowledge on the pirate known as Deadman Jack, I hope this helps you in finding what it is you are seeking. Love Kara.” 

“Since the year 1847 there had been rumors of a pirate sailing across the sands of the wastes, sacking ships, and pillaging villages. Many of these rumors are most likely just that, rumors. For the last five years I have spent my time collecting all the information I could on this odd individual, the last pirate of the Wastes, Deadman Jack. Who is he? Is he truly the supernatural grim reaper of the Sands? And who truly is his target?” I continued to flip through the pages, like they said, there were alot of rumors. The most interesting of course was how Deadman Jack was a necromancer, who led a crew of living skeletons. Yeah, those kinds of theatrics made sense given what I knew about them. They always were dramatic... 

“The date matches, give or take a year.” I said thumbing through more of the rumors. “Ahah, this is it!” I came to a page with schematics of the ship. It was a heavy frigate, early 1800’s in build. Eighteen cannons, heavy duty treads, and a diesel steam hybrid engine. The information of the ship had been compiled together by multiple witnesses, the common consensus being that it was in fact a stolen vessel from the royal navy. The name scrawled on the side was “The Queen’s Faithful” meaning it was likely just “The Faithful” and the first half was carved in after the fact. 

“The Faithful, that was my father's ship!” This proved the connection, there was no doubt in my mind. I continued to read through the book, trying to pinpoint their most spotted locations. From what I found, they stuck to the inner circles, very rarely venturing out into the outers. They targeted naval vessels, till the Navy was completely disbanded, and then later they caused many trains to derail on their way to the inner circles.

I could not find anything about his identity, as too many rumors were founded on the idea he was some pirating boogeyman. By the time I had skimmed the entire tome I had learned so much, and yet so little. A sense of both excitement and frustration welled over me as I flipped over onto my back and stared up at the ceiling. 

“Are you satisfied dear?” Miki asked, laying beside me and draping her arm over my chest.

“Yes... I think I am.” I sighed. I knew more than I did before, but did I know what I needed to know? I didn’t have much time to contemplate this before I heard a knock at my door. 

“Reli dear,” Dario called from the other side, “Lady Kara has requested your presence in the throne room.”

6