Chapter Nineteen: A: The Testament of Shana MacArthur
48 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A torrent fired from my gun, the inquisitor stood firm as the wind bullet came barreling up at him, only for it to dissipate in an instant as it made contact with his helmet.

“Ha you dumb bitch!” He taunted, before being knocked down by a man running full force into him.

“Holy shit!” Naomi nearly fell back.

The half naked man stood over the inquisitor, his height and build so massive it made Salem appear as a child before him.

“Hol’ on, I know that guy!” I exclaimed.

“Good work, Dario,” Kara called as she stepped into sight, “now be a dear and finish that pest off would you?”

“Lady Kara,” I shouted, waving to my lover, er I mean friend...

“Shana darling, no time to celebrate yet,” She called back as she approached, the wanderer following behind.

“Pretty cocky if you think that you’re going to beat me unarmed like that,” Salem said, picking himself off the ground. His comment was promptly followed by a knee to his gut as the nearly naked man rushed him once again, “is that all you got?” His tone of voice seemed asynchronous from his broken posture. Dario folded his massive hands together and brought them down like a mighty hammer on the hunched back of the inquisitor. Salem crashed to the ground with a mighty crack, though I couldn’t tell if it were bones or gear that had broken.

“Remove his helmet, I need a clean shot,” I approached aiming my gun at the downed enemy.

Dario complied and pulled the helmet from the unconscious inquisitor's head.

“The hell is that?” I nearly dropped my gun in shock, “that’s not Salem!” Laying on the ground was in fact not the body of my hated uncle, but a stranger. His head was shaved, and his face scarred and burned. He had a crooked nose and purple skin, this man truly was an imposter.

“So you figured it out?” Salem said, approaching from around a building, “honestly I’m a bit hurt it took you so long,” he laughed, pointing his saber at me. 

“The hell kinda tricks you pullin now?” Naomi yelled, “too much of a coward to fight us yourself?”

“What some call cowardice others call tactics,” he answered back, his pace increasing to a dash. In seconds he was in front of me, ready to strike me down with his sword, only for Vox to force his way in between us, blocking with a sword of his own.

“Stay out of this interloper,” Salem hissed.

“But Salem old friend, we have a score to settle you, damn traitor!” The wanderer pushed Salem back with his blade and pursued with another strike, Salem attempted to parry, but the blade found its mark at the inquisitor's neck. 

“You just will not learn,” said the inquisitor’s head as it rolled to my feet.

“The hell is going on?” I cried, kicking the decapitated cranium away.

“There’s a radio in the helmet,” Naomi examined the first inquisitor’s mask, “bastards not even here to fight his own battles.”

“Whether the enemy before us is genuine or counterfeit does not matter,” Kara approached the other witch and I, “our friends are still struggling with their own battle.”

“Right,” I nodded, “Let’s go help them!”

We dashed off, running as though the devil herself were at our heels. My mind raced as fast as my heart as paranoia grew inside me. Don’t let Reli and Josie be dead, goddess damnitt! I prayed, or cursed, silently. I could only hope that Josie was better armed than we had been, if only I didn’t drop my gun! We could have gotten there faster if I had been able to kill Salem quicker. No, that wasn’t Salem. He really was a slimy coward, I honestly should have figured that he wouldn’t face us himself. He was very good at taking credit for other peoples actions. That didn’t matter though, all that mattered was that my legs move faster! The months spent at the manor really did soften me up, didn’t they? My lungs felt like they had been impaled with a million needles and my thighs were practically on fire. 

“What’s the matter Shana? Can’t you move faster to save your friends?” A voice taunted me from within. “If you just used my power you wouldn’t be in this predicament, little Shana,” it hissed in my ear.

“Shut up, shut up, shut up!” I shouted, pushing my body harder, moving my legs as fast as they could, before I collapsed. 

“Shana!” Kara rushed to my side, placing her hands on me to ease my body's pain. 

“We need to keep going,” I managed to say between deep gasps for air.

“You need to not push yourself,” she chastised me, cradling my head against her chest, “allow me to ease your pain, love.” 

“We don’t have time though!” 

“It’s gonna be okay, Shana,” Vox reassured me.

“That your prophecy?” 

“That’s my faith in our friends,” he smiled at me, “Reli and Josie are both tough girls, just like you Shana!” His adorable innocent smile eased my nerves, even if it was for just a moment. 

“Stay here and rest, we will go to them,” Dario picked my hat from the ground and placed it on my head.

“No, I’ll be okay,” I stood up, my legs wobbly but no longer on fire, “I appreciate it, but I gotta be there for them.” 

“She’s resolute, gotta give her that,” Naomi chuckled, “then what are we watin for? Lets go already.”

Regaining my footing, we took off running once more.

3