Chapter Twenty-One: B: The Testament of Arela Hawks
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are we certain about this?” my knees shook as I stood suspended over the train tracks on a makeshift bridge extending between two buildings. The hastily built wooden structure wobbled beneath my feet as I did everything I could to maintain balance.

“Relax kiddo, we’ve got you,” Shana nearly slapped my back, but she must have thought better of it and instead gave me a reassuring thumbs up, “Gabby and I aren’t going to let anything happen to you, and I’m sure it’s the same for Miki.”

I forced a smile back at my friend, though my quivering lips made it hard, “yeah, thanks,” I mustered. The plan had a simplicity to it, at least that’s how Kara and Shana made it seem, but in the heat of the moment I couldn’t help but feel they under-exaggerated just how complicated it all really was.

“The train tracks run throughout the length of the city,” Kara had explained, “though jumping aboard the train from ground level will not be possible thanks to the tracks being elevated to prevent such a thing.”

“So do we hang out in the wastes and hop on board there?” Naomi asked.

“No, that wouldn’t be wise,” the Wanderer said, “the town watch has probably sealed off the gates after that little brush we had with the inquisitors, only way in or out right now is by train.”

“So then how are we going to get on the train?” I inquired.

“From above,” Shana gave her signature wide cocky grin.

And so I found myself in that ridiculous predicament. Jumping aboard a train from a horse was already scary enough, but at least then I was on the ground and still feeling the high rush of adrenaline Karas magic provided back in the manor. Now was a different story. 

“Is this really the only way?” I reiterated my concern.

“Don’t you have like leafy wings or something?” Shana asked.

“Yeah but they’re more for gliding short distances, I’ve never dropped down onto a speeding train with them before,” I practically yelled over a roaring gust of wind.

“Reli sweetie, I’ve got you,” Miki consoled me with her sweet soothing voice, “we can do this.”

Her reassurance was appreciated, though did little to calm my overactive imagination. Honestly it didn’t take much imagination to figure what would happen if things went wrong. We’d fall, scream “AAAAAHHHH” and then SPLAT! I think Shana and Miki both were being waaaay too calm about it all. 

“How long have we got till it gets here?” Shana asked her.

I looked at my pocket watch and began doing some mental math, “I think about fifteen minutes, if Delun was right about the model of train and their starting location,” he had told us it was a Clinechester diesel locomotive, a model I had worked on several times before. I was fascinated by trains, and typically knew what kind of speed they were capable of, and it was this knowledge that only added to my fear. “Have you ever jumped onto a speeding train like this miss Shana?”

“Don’t think about that,” Shana patted my head lightly, “what’s your favorite food?”

“My favorite food?” I wrinkled my nose, “why ask now”

“You can tell alot about a person by their favorite food,” Shana grinned.

I thought about it for a second, “Vinebaubles I guess.”

“Fancy stuff,” Shana whistled, “I’ve never tried them, too rich for my blood.”

“What about you Shana?” 

“Meat,” she answered with a mouthwatering smile, “don’t matter the animal, don’t matter how you cook it, so long as I got a glass of Whiskey mixed with Sourbush juice on the side, then I’m good.”

“Doesn’t that just mean your favorite food is booze?” I gave her a quizzical glare.

“Hehe, guess you’re right on the money kid,” Shana let out a goofy laugh, “you old enough to drink yet?”

“I told you when we met, I’m twenty-three,” I reminded her.

“After this I’ll take you out for a celebratory drink then, my treat. Hell, I'll treat everyone!”

“If we survive, I’ll buy you a drink.” I tried to joke.

“Come on don’t think about it, how about your type?” She asked.

“What?” Now she was just getting weird.

“Boys, girls, pretty, muscular? What’s your type?”

“Oh... I mean it doesn’t really matter if they’re a man or woman...”

“Hey, you like both just like me,” she grinned.

“Well, I mean it doesn’t matter. Like Josie, she’s a woman, but she’s well a different kind of woman. And that’s okay.”

“Oh yeah she is certainly a different kind, alright, but hey still pretty, right?”

“Yeah... Why are you asking this?” I still didn’t get it, we were dangling several feet above train tracks, was this really the appropriate time to be having a girl talk?

“Keeping your mind off death, duh!” Oh... I guess that was actually smart.

“So what’s your type then?” I played along.

“I like a nice mature woman.” She had a sly almost pervy smile.

“Lady Kara?”

“Damn kid, don’t call me out like that!”

“What about Gabby?” I had seen Gabby and talked with her. She was pretty, I’d even go as far to say adorable, but not what I’d call mature looking.

“Course she’s my type!” She shouted. “Guess I like alot of different types. Girly men are pretty cute too. And muscle girls.”

“But what about girly girls and muscular men?” I questioned her.

“I mean, yeah I guess that works too,” She shook her head, “though I think men are more likely to go overboard with the muscles.”

“Ah, like Mr. Dario,” I laughed. 

“Yeah, seriously dude put on some pants!” She laughed along with me. 

Suddenly our conversation was interrupted by static, then a voice, “Shana the trains about to enter the city, over,Naomi's voice came over a small, short distance radio that Kara had given us.

“Yeah, yeah copy that,” Shana responded.

“Do you read me? Confirm already!” Naomi said, her voice shaky.

“I said yeah!” Shana barked.

“Damn it Shana, hold the button when you talk!” 

“Oh…” Shana pressed down the radio talk button, “okay I heard you, we’re ready here.” Her face beat red as I giggled at her.

“My personal train is in position, get ready to jump girls,” now lady Kara was speaking on the radio.

“Copy,” Shana and Naomi said almost in unison. Almost, the radio wouldn’t have allowed it to be actually unison... 

This is it, I bit my lip hard, you can do this!

Shana grabbed my hand and stood close, “we got this kiddo,” I looked up and saw her giving a sweet reassuring smile, the most sincere smile Shana had ever given me.

I nodded, and squeezed Shana’s hand tight, then looked down to see the oncoming train emerging from the distant horizon, barreling towards us at extreme speeds.

“Alright, showtime,” Shana grinned.

“Leaving so soon Shana MacArthur?” Salem’s wicked voice called out.

2