Chapter Eleven: A different type of trial!
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hope you all enjoy the new chapter and have a brilliant day


Chapter Eleven: A different type of trial!

 

The Shadowspawn had everyone on edge. They were freaked out that it had appeared out of nowhere and were jumping at every little noise. Unfortunately, this only benefitted the Shadowspawn more. Twice more they fell victim to Shadowspawn attacks.

The first attack happened due to the group flinching repeatedly to a sound like nails being scratched down a chalkboard. The Shadowspawn had jumped out of Emily’s shadow and, before it could be overcome; it had landed a nasty cut on Emily’s thigh.

The second attack was more controlled. While the group could not stop the attack from coming, they at least prepared for it. When the Shadowspawn announced itself, this time as a woman sobbing, they had Matthew summon it and as soon as it appeared, stabbed it repeatedly before it could cause any harm.

Thankfully, after they had killed the third spawn, no more made themselves known, and they were able to continue down the tunnel unmolested.

Rory reached the end of the tunnel, gaping as he viewed the grand amphitheatre before them.

Hundreds of people sat in a rising tiers of seats surrounding a rock strewn sand pit. Impact craters littered the ground and scorch marks could be seen on nearly every surface.

Having no other option, they took a tentative step into the arena. They were met with a rapturous applause and a worrying announcement.

 

Welcome first human participants to the Amphitheatre of Merit!

For Suspected crimes against the Shadowspawn Empire, you have been charged with killing three of their kind and must face the consequences.

You will face three rounds of randomly selected opponents to prove your innocence.

Reward for defeating all three rounds will resolve you of your sins and allow you to leave the arena a free man or women.

Extra rewards are possible should your performance move the people.

 

As soon as the announcement ended, a stone block descended, sealing off the way they had come and trapping them in the pit.

Searching round frantically of a way to escape and not become entertainment for the hundreds of people present. Rory looked into the stands, finally realising that what he had mistaken at first for people were in fact Shadowspawn... Hundreds and hundreds of Shadowspawn.

“looks like we have no choice but to stand and fight guys,” Alex announced, trying to bolster everyone’s spirits.

They didn’t have to wait long before their first opponent arrived.

With a flash and then a bang, a bolt of lightning appeared in the middle of the arena. When the lightning cleared, it was revealed to be a robot two feet tall that twitched and spasmed uncontrollably, arms flailing about and body parts rotating wildly.

Lights flickered on and off across its body and a low humming noise could be heard coming from it. Scuff marks and dents could be clearly seen scattered throughout its frame.

The robot was quickly analysed to see what they were dealing with

 

Fizzletricks Toy Multibot 3001 – level 15

Description: fully automatic toy capable of meeting all your child’s needs. Has full support modules for evolving play patterns, housekeeping duties, babysitting duties, pest extermination, discipline protocol, body concealment, alibi generator and dressmaking.

Made by Fizzletricks Emporium — enslaved knoll number 314.

Disclaimer: Fizzletricks Emporium takes no liability for any damage caused by the use of this product*.

Warranty: we guarantee to repair or replace this unit, no questions asked** during the first hundred years of its life.

Voucher: receive 20% of your next purchase at Fizzletricks emporium***

* any attempts of slander will be met with cease and desist orders from Fizzletricks lawyers.

** multibot must be weekly serviced by a Fizzletricks certified engineer.

*** proof of previous purchase must be presented in triplicate to qualify for discount.

 

Sighing in frustration at the useless information, Rory summoned his shield and readied his spear.

All of a sudden, the robot stopped shaking, its head slowly turned so that its brightly lit red eyes stared directly at Rory and the group.

“childrren out offff d... d... d... signated areas aaaaffffttteeerr curfew. Ppprocessing appropriate punishment rrrrespponse.

Ppprocessing...

Punishment ssseleccted: teerminnnation.” The robot's voice was badly distorted and difficult for the group to understand.

With another bang, the robot exploded forward, lightning crackling across its frame as it moved at frightening speeds.

It shot straight at Rory, who brought his shield directly into its path and braced his feet for the impact.

A fraction of a second before the expected collision, the robot turned at impossible speeds, missing Rory completely and colliding with Alex, who was flung like a rag doll from the impact.

The closeness of the sudden turn caused sparks of lightning to arc away from the robots body and to land on Rory. every muscle in his body locked up in a tight contraction as muscles froze in place, his mind screaming at his body telling it to move, but he just fell face first into the ground.

Nothing responded to his command and the notification from being electrocuted appeared unwarranted in his vision.

 

Ding - Condition: temporary electrical paralysis received.

Description: you have fallen victim to multibot 3001's faulty battery. Due to lack of service the robots battery is cracked allowing the energies within to run wild.

You have been paralysed for five minutes.

Resistances and affinity may reduce this effect.

 

As Rory hit the ground, his face was forced to the side, where he could watch helplessly as the fight progressed. Alex had yet to regain his feet after the surprise hit, forcing Peter and the rest to fend off the robot, who had at this point had stopped sparking and instead had manifested a whirling circular saw and was swinging it wildly at anyone that came into range.

Spears and arrows bounced harmlessly off of the robot's armour. The only one able to inflict any damage was Peter and his sword, the blade itself causing small knicks and cuts to appear on the robot's frame.

Anger, pain and helplessness surged through Rory and sparks of lightning began to appear on his body. The orb that had refused to grant him its power for so long was now active. Angered by the foreign electrical charge, it came forth, its destructive properties coming into effect as it broke down the lightning binding Rory.

Rorys body spasmed, but once it had faded, he had control of his body, fuelled on by the orb's rage, he ran unheeded towards the robot, electricity crackling along his body, making his hair stand on end.

The robot, being distracted trying to dismember his teammates, failed to notice Rory until he was inches away from it. Trying to react, the robot's body rotated rapidly, trying to bring its saw to bear, however before it had a chance to fully rotate, Rory was upon it.

With muscles bulging up from the strain, Rorys hand grabbed hold of the robot's head. The electricity that had been coursing through Rory streamed into the robot where it made extremely worrying noises.

 

Warning!

Warning!

Fizzletricks Toy Multibot 3001 energy levels have reached critical failure!

Controlled self destruction protocol activated to minimise damage to environment and will commence in ten seconds!

Please evacuate to a safe distance and don’t forget to visit Fizzletricks Emporium! Where you know we sell quality as we make the Knolls do it!

 

Not wasting any time, Rory ran up to where Alex was laying and where the others had gathered around him.

Alex was totally unconscious and seemed to be suffering from the same condition Rory had.

Glancing back at the robot, it was starting to take on a blinding light as energy leaked out of its frame. With a start, Rory realised they had no chance of getting clear in time.

Crashing into everyone and pulling them to the ground on top of Alex, Rory summoned his barrier, which enveloped them in a golden barrier.

 

3

2

1

Self destruction commencing!

 

Nothing happened. Glancing back, Rory saw nothing had happened to the robot. He reached for the ring to dispel the barrier, but just as he was about to, a popping noise sounded from the robot. Crunching them sounded as the robot's body folded in upon itself, compacting to the size of a marble before suddenly releasing a vast shock wave of energy that expanded outwards and washed over the group. The barrier shattered instantly however, the wave had passed before it could injure them.

Like the sea hitting the shore, the wave slammed into the Amphitheatres stands a barrier sparkling into existence where it held, forcing the wave to shoot upwards hugging the frame of the barrier until it finally died out.

 

Congratulations!

You have survived round one and commenced your quest to be found not guilty.

Prepare yourself, as round two will commence shortly.

 

Looking around at the damage caused by the explosion, Rory realised that without the barrier, they would have had no chance of surviving.

Of the robot, nothing was left and in its place was a glittering purple orb.

Walking over to the orb, Rory noticed a storm of electricity crackling and swirling just below the orb's surface.

Identifying the object, Rory was shocked by what he saw.

 

Orb of Electrical Might (Ancient) (upgradeable)

Description: No one knows when they appeared or where they came from. What is indisputable is that their arrival changed the world forever. Contained within the orb is the potential for unlimited power and can consume related Orbs of equal or weaker power.

Effect: grants the bearer the ability to control and generate lightning. Receive a 5% reduction to Mana cost and 5% increase to damage. More easily learn physical skills that incorporate lightning.

5% increase to strength and intelligence. Indestructible.

 

Reaching out to touch the orb, a searing pain flashed across Rory’s chest, and with it, a notification.

 

Orb of Electrical Might has been rejected.

Your blessing of lightning has judged this orb of power unworthy. You will forever be barred from consuming this orb to increase your power.

 

When Rory tried again to pick up the orb, nothing stopped him, his blessing obviously content that he had been warned enough. He brought the orb back to the group, and it was decided to store the orb until after the challenge in case it caused any problems.

While they were waiting for the second round to start and for Alex to wake up, Rory sat down and activated his medication while he went through his other notifications for the fight.

 

Ding - you have defeated [Fizzletricks Toy Multibot 3001] experience earned reduced due to being in a group.

 

0