Epilogue
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elvira trundled up the Nova Dormitories northern staircase. The normal bustle of the ground floor was little more than a whisper, though it was improved from the deathly silence that loomed over the Academy last Thursday. The whole company was gripped in terrible uncertainty.

She wore a grey knee length skirt over white stockings pushed into a sturdy pair of black shoes. A blue patterned blouse was tucked into her belt, offering a splash of color to the ensemble. Her sword hung steady by her side. A cute charm dangled from a cord attached to the hilt, a small yellow rodent with puffy cheeks.

There was an elaborate silver marking high on her left cheek. It shimmered in the shifting light as she climbed each step. It was the sign she’d been officially accepted into the Nova Mercenary Company. A prestigious honor.

Nova had gone above and beyond with their emblem, as when she tapped it with a finger, a short list of nearby guild signals appeared in her eye. Right now, unsurprisingly, there were only other Nova mercenaries in range. She brushed the display away with her hand. There was a lingering soreness, which would fade in a few hours. Elvira was one of the few students to have it done today.

Although most Vital Nets on Esper were reinitialized, only a select few regained the benefits of an active VN, mostly elite mercenaries. In that regard this was excellent news for Nova, who had a near monopoly on contracts at the moment. It was perhaps less ideal for the rest of the world.

Problems for later though, as she reached the fifth floor. Elvira stopped at the landing and looked down.  Her own room was three stories ago. She turned her eyes up the hallway in front of her, then took a deep breath. There was nothing to it.

She started walking again, slowly passing room after room, until she arrived at her destination. Her feet carried her uncomfortably close to the door, so close that if she wanted she could tilt her head to rest against the cool surface.

She braced herself, then reached for the control panel.

 

Sorry for the cliffhanger-y ending,  when I wrote this I wasn't sure what Hitori's fate was, so I put off writing it (^_^;)

I've since figured it out, but I've also taken a liking to the ambiguous conclusion.  I hope you don't mind if I leave it like this :D

0