Liability.
20 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orimi’s eyes widened. “But I thought… We were… Going on a mission…”

Miya’s seat turned to face Orimi. She then tapped her Proatrix, causing a hologram of half a long-board-shaped ship with sharp edges spanning at least 400 meters to appear in ripples.

“I don’t know exactly where they are or what this is, but my locator badge pinged a large vessel in Ketvas-25. That’s where I’m headed, without any backup or utility ships.” 

“W-wait, but that seems dangerous! Aren’t you going to ask for help or, or-“

Miya laughed, then shook her head. “Did your kin brief you on your current position as a Patroller?”

Orimi nodded. “Yeah, but it was a lot, so maybe I forgot some things, haha…”

Miya’s eyebrow twitched. “You’re making a game out of my duties. You know that? That sort of shit pisses me off.”

Orimi bent her head and balled her fingers into her lap.

“A situation like this, like exploring an unregistered vessel, means we don’t know who’s affiliated, their weapon systems, what’s on board, and where they’re heading.”

Miya then turned around, pressing keys on the overhead interface. “I can’t be responsible for someone so obviously unprepared and commit to my responsibilities as a Patroller. You wanna guess why?”

“Because I’d just… Hold you back…” Orimi whispered.

“Oh, look. You can think.” Miya rolled her eyes. “Go and inquire with Coordinant Qhiv'ith about another position that isn’t high-risk or impacts others. Or better yet, don’t come back at all. I don’t think you’re suited for this type of work.”

Orimi stood up, clenched her fist, but then put her foot back down.

“I can’t.”

Miya’s eyes widened. “What was that?”

“I said…” Orimi’s eyes squinted closed as her voice grew into a shout. “I said I can’t!”

In a sudden movement, Miya lunged and slid her leg across Orimi’s ankles, making her fall back into her seat, then slammed her fist near the side of Orimi’s chair, causing the entire cockpit to shake.

Orimi’s white sclera was shown around her widened, now watering eyes. She opened her mouth, but only a few hicks left her throat as her body shivered. She looked into Miya’s now crimson-red eyes, unable to break contact.

“You must’ve forgotten I outrank you here. If I tell you you’re dismissed, then you leave. That’s a direct order.”

“I-I’m not going back, so if you’re going to do something, just do it!”

Miya sneered. “Do you like pain and humiliation, you dam idiot? Your kin must really fucking hate you to be sending you to a position like this unprepared.”

“I’d like to think that wasn’t the case, but sometimes,” Orimi smiled while lowering her head, “I at least thought my father was different…”

“Wait, did you…” Miya looked to the side but then nodded her head. “You know what, whatever. If you want to get yourself killed, go ahead.”

 “Maybe, I want that for myself too.”

Miya shook her head. “You don’t mean that.”

“Y-yes, I do…!”

“No, you don’t. You’re just looking for an out. Along with someone to pity you while you soak in self-doubt and insecurity.”

Miya then lifted her hand and sat back in the pilot’s seat. “I can’t stop you. But leave a note explaining that you died on your own accord. I don’t want it to reflect badly that someone died on my team because of their own stupidity.”

Orimi sniffed while wiping the tears from her face. “I thought… I thought you were different when you fought to save me back then. But you… Really meant it when you said…”

“That it was only a part of the job? Yeah.”

Miya tapped a button on her side, causing the back ramp to lift. A set of blue and red control lights began flashing around the hangar as the ship began to rise.


2