Vol. 1 Prologue – Time is ticking
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: ???

“Perhaps would you like to try again?”

“No I’m fine, I don’t think I would be able to beat you anytime soon. Something tells me it’s not a dream...”

Somewhere in the clouds, there were two people sitting in front of the table. On one side, there was relatively young man with chestnut hair wearing a suit, feeling a bit down after losing many games in a short span of time.

On other side of the table, there was a silhouette of a person wearing a white robe that along with mask covers almost everything expect their eyes with white pupils. As they were carefully observing the man right in front of them, they made a comment about his recent remark.

“And you would be correct. In fact you’re dead.”

“….!”

As soon as he heard that, the man snapped back into reality. He happened to said something random as several thoughts were in his mind at the time and yet to his surprise he received an answer.

“Strange. Despite your surprised look, you seem much more composed than I anticipated.”

“….I don’t think composed is a right word. More like I kinda given up? It’s not like I have any reason to return back from dead anyway.”

While he wouldn’t say, he had terrible life back on Earth there was also a fact that there weren’t any regrets that could came to his head.

His parents passed away when he was very young and during his childhood he was raised by his grandparents. After he graduated from university, he managed to find a decent job, had few friends and in the process lived somewhat humble life.

But he didn’t had any lovers or relatives to speak off. Both of his grandparents passed away shortly after the graduation. The only thing left for him is to look forward what’s next.

“So now what? Am I going to be judged or is me playing with you for eternity is my punishment?”

“Haha, I would appreciate to have a playmate but unfortunately this is not why you were summoned here.”

After being briefly amused by his comment, suddenly the environment was changed. Now it seems they were floating in space, surrounded by stars and planets which every single one has a distinctive look.

“Normally after mortal’s lifespan comes to the end, their souls come back to cycle of life and death and soon after the soul is being relocated onto another body, beginning life anew. However in case such as yours when a person dies prematurely, they have options to choose from. Those are the rules.”

“Options?”

Before could ask more about this, suddenly he was blinded by the light which forced him to cover his eyes. After the light slowly faded, he uncovered his eyes and saw two floating cards with shinning aura. However, he could only see back of the cards.

“These cards represent your choices. On your left, you would keep your body and your memories. On your right, you can start anew as infant in prominent family however you would lose all your memories from your previous life. Do not be hasty however, there is still time to consider all possibilities.”

As the man was considering his options, something came to mind. If he decided to take card on the left, he thought maybe he should ask more about the place itself just in case.

“Before I do that, I would like to know about the world I’m about to be send off. I don’t think that would be unreasonable.”

“The world is very different from you came from. Full of wonders and magic, extraordinary sights but also great danger. I would advise caution during your travels. There are many things that shouldn't be never discovered. I pray that you won’t have to find out in person.”

When he heard those words, he realized that the world is likely much more dangerous than hooded figure gives credit for. Unsurprisingly, he became anxious.

“Hold on, if there is magic involved won’t I receive any kind of powers or something to defend myself?”

“Unfortunately your soul doesn't possess any kind of specialized skills or talents and I’m not allowed to gift any new ones.”

It didn’t take long before the man became mildly depressed as he didn’t expect he will survive for long. However the following statement gave him a bit of hope.

“And yet despite not having any skills,  it’s seems your soul is capable of holding on a huge quantity of power of any kind. Take that as you will but you have great potential comparing to most mortals. ”

His feel of anxiety didn’t fade off but at least he was reassured that it wasn’t completely hopeless. That being said after some consideration, the man pointed his finger at the card on the left.

He may didn’t had many opportunities to bond with his parents but the idea of being a child of someone else was rubbing him up the wrong way. Perhaps that’s why he didn’t have to think for very long.

“It seems you made your choice. Do not worry, you will be teleported somewhere safe from danger.”

As the hooded figure shown their hand, it started to shine and soon after the magic circle appeared around the man. He was astounded by it to the point he tried to reach out of circle to see happens only to be prevented by some kind of barrier.

“Farewell mortal, I hope you will cherish your new live in Asgarth.”

Once again, the light was so bright to the point he was forced to cover his eyes once again. And once he took a look he realized now he is on his own. The journey now begins.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Location: Treacherous Plateau

The band of thieves were searching the convoy for valuables. They managed to set up an ambush and successfully kill all guards along with the drivers. It was a clean job.

After the business was done, the Bandit Leader selected someone as lookout just in case. But then that bandit was on a lookout duty, he saw a beam of light coming from the sky.

“What the hell!?”

Lookout’s shout drew attention of other bandits including their leader. The beam was coming from ruined fort that was used before the Calamity.

The Bandit Leader couldn’t help but to squint his eyes once he saw it. Afterward, he turn around and shouted to his men.

“Today is our lucky day boys. You, you and you stay here and look after the caravan. The rest will go with me. This is a rare opportunity for certain rare item to appear. It would be a shame to miss out, wouldn’t it?”

Although the band had no idea what the leader was referring to, they still shouted enthusiastically just at the thought of some rare loot.           

“So what are you waiting for?  Search those rubbles and get that damn loot!”

After pointing at the destination, the bandits were running toward the fort with the shiny glint in their eyes. However they weren’t the aware of the real reason behind his decision.

He wasn't searching for something but someone. And the leader was determined to see them dead as soon as possible.

0