1-2
67 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took Glub less than half an hour to cross a distance what would normally have taken even a Goblin double that time. That was because of Glub's Passive Skill. Swift Movement. It allowed Glub to run, climb, swim, and simply move twice as fast as the average Goblin. That is to say the average Goblin, not including Hobgoblins. Some of the Goblins in the tribe didn't consider it that useful of a passive. Not like the Chieftain's own. But even the Chieftain himself agreed with Glub that it was a useful Skill. Perfect for a Scout.

 

And in Glub's own opinion, the perfect Skill for a Goblin.

 

It was still early in the morning by the time Glub found his usual spot to watch the road. Glub had ran from three different monsters, avoided five more Eater Plants, and hid from a passing Bear after nearly getting eaten by the first Eater Plant on his journey. Just another day for the Goblin Scout named Glub.

 

The usual spot Glub chose to observe from was a shrub. A shrub with some small pink and white flowers that grew interesting yellow berries. It could have been poisonous. But it wasn't. The yellow berries were only sour and juicy. Glub would know since he's been snacking on them since his first day watching the road.

 

Yes. The berries could have been poisonous. Yes. Glub could have died. But Goblins have died over less than poisoned shrubs before. It was quite the experience too. For Glub had never tasted anything sour in his life before. It was love at first taste. If only Glub understood what the word 'love' meant.

 

With his natural green skin, the shrub's green leaves hid the Goblin Scout very well. No Human would ever be able to spot him traveling down the road. He was practically invisible!

 

So. As the morning sun rose above the trees. Glub crawled under the shrub and snacked on sour berries. And watched the road.

 

The first hour passed by and not a single traveler passed Glub by. During the second hour the road was just as empty as it had been during the first. By the third hour, Glub was getting a bad feeling in his tummy. He smacked his berry stained lips and groaned. Maybe he had one too many berries. The third hour was more eventful.

 

Glub spent the third hour a good distance away from the road, trying to quietly vomit behind a tree. The pain in his stomach slowly receding as he emptied the sour contents of his stomach. They might have been nice and sour on the way down. But they were the bitterest coming back up. It was a terrible experience that Glub was sure to learn from. But he was going to be here all day. And those berries were good. And they just kept growing back almost as fast as he could pick them. How could he not indulge himself a little?

 


 

They were a group of travelers. Mostly Merchants coming up from down south seeking better trade up here in the north. More specifically they were on the road to the city of Cenia.

 

The travelers consisted of a caravan of sixteen wagons, forty Knight's riding as escorts as their Lord had ordered, and several hunting dogs. The sixteen wagons, thirteen of which were filled with valuable goodies rare to the north and the remaining three wagons were filed with said Merchants hoping to make a fortune from this venture. Forty Knight's rode in groups in front, along the sides, and the back of the caravan. Their Lord had invested a small sum into this trip and was looking forwards to the gold that would hopefully fill his pockets. And the hunting dogs were for of course hunting. But also, hunting dogs were good at sniffing out monsters. Specifically, Goblins.

 

It was well known that Goblin tribes ran all across the northern side of the kingdom. Many neighboring Lords and Ladies complained and simply hailed Lord Marvin as a lay about for his continued inaction against the Goblins.

 

Goblins were not a world ending threat nor were they even that dangerous. As long as you kept them in check and kept their numbers low, they were no threat at all. Which every Lord and Lady did in each of their lands all across the kingdom. All except for Lord Marvin. While the neighboring Lords and Ladies encouraged Lord Marvin of Cenia to send out his armies to exterminate the pests once and for all, Lord Marvin was content with his precautions. Which were raising the bounties on Goblins and other monsters through bounty boards. It was effective... sort of.

 

It certainly attracted more monster hunting adventurer types towards Cenia more so than any of the other areas in the kingdom besides those that contained a dungeon. More often than not, it was a very attractive offer towards young Adventurers just starting out. Because everyone knew Goblins were weak monsters. And if they were worth more than any other beginner quest on the continent? Low Level Adventurers flocked to Cenia in droves. That was why Cenia was known as the City of Beginnings. It was where many young heroes began their epic journeys. There was only one example of a true hero coming from Cenia. And she left long ago for another continent in search of real adventure.

 

But low Leveled Adventurers weren't enough to beat down the Goblin population. Because Goblins knew how to hide and run. And new Adventurers were of course new. They didn't have any experience with hunting actual Goblins. So many Goblins evaded sword and spell, to live and repopulate.

 

This was the Goblin problem. They were not dangerous on their own or in little numbers. But Goblins had a very dangerous ability. They bred like rabbits. And under less attentive care, they could grow out of control. A dozen Goblins is not a problem. A hundred Goblins could be stopped by an army. Even a thousand Goblins could be stopped with the cooperation of several Lords and Ladies. But what about a hundred thousand Goblins? A million Goblins? It has happened before. A long time ago. Shaking the world just as much as any great Necromancer or evil Sorcerer ever had. So. In order to not repeat tragedy. Everyone hunted Goblins. It was just that Lord Marvin of Cenia wasn't in the right mood to hunt Goblins himself or send out his army. So... he simply gave paid incentive for other people to do it for him.

 

Thus. There were many Goblin tribes in the area around Cenia. Many that liked to raid the local farmers, villages, and lesser defended towns. And the roads. Especially the roads. Those were a prime target for most Goblin tribes. So. Sixteen wagons, forty mounted Knights, and several hunting dogs traveled up the road towards Cenia in hopes of wealth.

 

And woe to any unfortunate monster that happened across their path. Because these Knights were some of the best in the entire Kingdom. Out of the forty Knights, while most of them were simply Knights. There were those amongst them such as Archer Knights, Mage Knights, and Tracking Knights. It was these Tracking Knights who had brought along the hunting dogs.

 

Nothing would interfere with these Merchants and their journey to the city of Cenia. And once the Knights had arrived at Cenia and delivered their Lord's personal letter to Lord Marvin. They would begin exterminating every Goblin tribe in these lands until every last Goblin was dead. As per their Lord's instructions.

 


 

Glub was trying to resist.

 

He really was.

 

But he was just so hungry. The berries just weren't that filling. Sure they were tasty and were a nice snack. But they made him sick and hungry.

 

But they were so good! Sour!

 

But they were bad. They made his stomach hurt.

 

But Sour!

 

But hurt.

 

Glub rolled underneath of his sour berry shrub and looked up at the sour berries. He raised one claw. If it was just one berry? That wouldn't hurt. Would it?

 

No!

 

Glub smacked his claw down and holding his wrist down in the dirt. Yes! No! Yes! No! No!

 

That was when Glub started to wrestle with himself beneath the shrub. If he had been more focused and actually paying attention to the road like a Scout was supposed to. He would have noticed the signs. He would have heard the hooves and the wheels and the small voices in the distance. As it were, Glub could only hear his own voice arguing in his head, and the crunching and rustling of the shrub he was rolling around beneath.

 

It was an issue that stemmed from boredom. Glub was a Scout but he didn't have the patience of a Scout. Or at least, he didn't have the patience of a Scout meant to stay still. He was more of an action Scout. He liked doing things. What he didn't like was not doing anything.

 

So when Glub returned to the road to watch for enemies and prime targets for the tribe, he was often bored. And when he was bored...

 

It was madness! How could he have done this to himself? Oh the horror. A great and terrible mutiny has occurred! For Glub the Goblin Scout lost control of his own arm. What terrible monster could have done this?

 

Glub dove out of the shrub and grabbed at a stick. No. A sword! A sword of great power! And he aimed his stick-sword at the bush of sour berries and saw his true enemy. A great and terrible temptress. An evil Human Wizard Adventurer seeking his Chieftain's head! Never! Not while Glub the best Goblin Scout in the world was on duty!

 

He angled his stick-sword and parried an imaginary spell that would have made him throw up again. Glub brought the stick-sword close to his chest and lunged forwards, thrusting the stick-sword right into the shrub's side. The Adventurer howled in pain, shaking his head. What an impossible feat! The Human had been over Level 100! Glub could feel the energy surrounding him. He was going to Level up like no Goblin ever had before! He was going to Rank Up. He was turning into a Hobgoblin! He was unstoppable!

 

The world would fear him! The Humans would bow and grovel for mercy! The Chieftain would praise him, reward him. Because Glub was...

 

The small Goblin noticed something shiny passing by out of the corner of his eye. The Goblin Scout turned slowly and watched as five mounted Knight's trotted on passed him down the road. Glub stared with wide glowing eyes and numbly dropped the stick out of his hand.

 

Sweat dripped from his green forehead. Glub didn't dare move. Not even an inch. For whatever reason, none of the Knight's had noticed him. Probably because he was a Goblin, a creature with green skin standing in front of plenty of green foliage. Or maybe just as he had been distracted, they were too. It didn't really matter. If they had noticed him they would have rode him down, or dismounted and given chase. They were unlikely to catch him on foot. But if any of them was an archer? He'd be a dead Goblin scout. And the tribe would be in trouble. Because Humans despite common Goblin belief, were not stupid. They understood that when there was one Goblin. There was more.

 

So Glub also understood that if they found him. It wasn't just his life that was in danger. It was his tribe. His Chieftain. They were all in danger. Because these Human's were Knights. Glub knew about Knights. The Chieftain of the Bitter Bow Tribe told stories about all the terrible Classes Humans had and what to avoid at all cost. Knights were especially bad. They were bigger than normal Humans. They wore impenetrable shiny armor. They had the best weapons, sometimes enchanted to cut through a Goblin's own weapon. Sometimes they knew spells like a Mage would, only better. And they always rode on top of horses. Tall nightmarish creatures that loved to trample Goblins under hoof. Knights were bad news.

 

But. Knights were usually only around when Humans wanted to protect something. Like a Lord or Lady. Or even better. Food. Supplies. Weapons. Magic. Things that Glub's tribe could use.

 

And so Glub stood still, frozen against the shrubbery as more Knights passed and then the wagons rolled by. Most of them were covered in cloth like mobile tents. But Glub had a Goblin's nose and he could smell food. Food and something else. This was important. These Knights were guarding important stuff that Glub's tribe could use so-

 

So what was Glub supposed to do? Obviously he was supposed to report what he saw here to the Chieftain. But what if he got closer? What if he found out just what exactly was in those wagons? His Chieftain would be pleased. And Glub would be a good Goblin Scout. The best in the world. Even if he was only Level 2. Because Glub was a good Goblin Scout and he had a job to do.

 

Glub slowly bent over and began to crawl towards the road. Watching for the passing Knights and wagons. Glub was sneaky. Glub was clever. There was no way that these Humans would find him out. This was Glub's time to shine.

 

4