Chapter 1: Prologue
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a single breath, color fills in the decrepit space before my eyes. The smell of homemade bread permeates and squanders the stench of the familiar grim coat of paint etched into the four surrounding walls. With safety as a second thought, I swiftly navigate the piles of junk scattered and strewn about my bloodstained floors to meet the heavenly smell leaking through the wooden door frame. Before I could reflect on my lapse in judgement, I was claimed yet again as its victim. As if strategically placed by some twisted entity for this very moment, its overly obnoxious yellow highlights wrap around my legs causing me to tumble.

"I promise you it wasn't me. I swear this place was clean before I went to bed."

Despite my begging and screaming, the woman standing at the open-door frame silently walks toward my fallen corpse. Clad in high heels, the sweet fragrance of strawberries encompasses my entire being and latch onto my limbs with great force. My eyes lock onto the crouched figure as its hand sets down what would be tainted forever.

"We both know I can change. Please mommy, give me one more chance!"

"You can have your breakfast when we are done."

My twelve-year-old body is effortlessly lifted into the air and blindly obeys each curve and bounce as if imitating the jet-black stream of hair trailing behind the normally docile and loving parent.

< WARNING: Defensive measures in effect >

"Sweetie… You're only making this harder on yourself."

< Initiating blood oath… 8% complete… 15% complete…>

<STABILIZING body modifications… 80% complete…>

When confronted with what allowed me to be enticed in the first place, I clung to its frame for protection against my mother's wrath. While digging my entire soul into my father's shoddy handiwork at best, my vision blurred. My once fair skin scaled over with black thorn like protrusions that pulsate and dance to the stimuli of my tainted blood. As if in defiance of the bleak outcome awaiting its master, the stream of blood leaking out of my palm slowly feeds and strengthens the demon's power trapped within my bicep. Red accents and purple highlights that stretched along the right side of my body were oblivious to the stupidity that would unfold.

"Honey, you won't beli—…"

A quick read of the room pieced together what was in progress.

"So, it's that time of the week, huh?" he says while peering into the boy's room for confirmation.

"Hey Malik… I don't live here and well…" his pot belly grumbled giving the stout man enough confidence to abandon his nephew. "I haven't had breakfast with my family yet."

"You know… that's a great idea! I'm going to come with you. I haven't seen my sister in ages! It would be great to catch up over a bite to eat!"

"But you all ate with us last nigh—"

My father's rugged hair flew in all directions as he unknowingly shoves his brother-in-law into the locked door. Panicked and full of remorse, the two hastily leave running away from my blood curdling screams. My mother's grip steadily intensifies as she siphons my life force further eroding away at my savior's foundation.

<WARNING!!! ... WARNING!!! …>

<10% HP threshold reached… battle parameters returning to normal>

<Post-transformation feedback in effect>

Between gasps for air and quick bursts of unintelligible apologies, my mother's smile radiates a kind of warmth contradicting the current atmosphere.  My attempts at a meaningful apology are met with the embrace of her loving arms.

"Ciel, I am so proud of you! When were you able to maintain your transformed state for that long? We fought only a few days ago. How did you manage to get this far?"

Her fingers prod and stretch the contours of my bleeding face further aggravating my relentless blood loss.

"Fear…"

0