Ch 34 – Past that is Lie
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oh man, you seem so serious about that explanation. I honestly don’t know how to take it. If what you said is truly true, then it could be the greatest despair I have ever encountered in my life” said Nagito.

“We know that, that’s why you gotta stay calm and listen to us.” said Kaede.

“I know it’s difficult. When Shuichi told me about this, I was pretty devastated too. But I don’t doubt Shuichi at all. That made the truth all the more horrible. But still, I’m standing here! My heart is beating and my will is my own! I don’t give a damn if I’m fictional or not” yelled Kaito.

“And how many people actually remember those events happening?” asked Nagito.

“Me, Maki, Himiko and Keebo remember those events. Even if all our memories were fabricated, it would only strengthen the fact that memories can be fabricated in the first place. Thus making your memories completely fallible too.” said Shuichi.  

Nagito could do nothing but smirk at the statement but Shuichi still remained calm and serious.

“Interesting. Definitely interesting.” said Nagito.

His face was becoming twisted and more white than usual.

“You know, I used to think I’m not very normal. But you yourself are abnormal too. At least what you remember that is…fine, I believe you” said Nagito with a smile.

“Umm, that easily?” asked Kaede.

“Yeah, there is no way people would team up just to tell such an absurd lie. As it stands, I was wrong. My friends at Jabberwock Island did not actually destroy the world. What a relief.” said Nagito, sarcasm in his tone.

“S-so, are you gonna get down from there? And maybe kindly turn yourself in?” asked Kazuichi.

“T-turn myself in? Guys what are you talking about? Did I do something wrong?” asked Nagito.

“You fucking bastard! You killed Teruteru and Mikan. Or did the future foundation erase your memory again?” yelled Fuyuhiko.

“Ahh, that. I’m so sorry. It was just a misunderstanding. I didn’t know the truth that we were all fabricated people. If you guys didn’t destroy the world and wouldn’t suddenly become super evil people, why would I ever hold a grudge against you guys? I did what I thought would be best for everyone, which is to kill all the remnants of despair.” said Nagito.

“Bullshit! You totally killed Byaku-, no, the Imposter for shits and giggles” yelled Kazuichi.

“You know it wasn’t for shits and giggles. And why even bother talking about that. According to Shuichi and the people here, everything we know about the past is fiction. Even some of the indecent things I did in the Jabberwock Island killing game is just fiction. Please don’t hold grudges, let’s just become friends again!” said Nagito happily.

“I-is he serious?” asked Peko.

“Hell nah. I know Nagito well enough, he is not the type of guy who just peacefully becomes an innocent goodie guy. He is a damn madman. Even before he knew we were remnants, he was still a maniac” yelled Fuyuhiko.

“Hey, maybe your memories have a problem. I definitely don’t consider myself a scary person.” said Nagito.                    

“Yeah, because you’re batshit insane!” yelled Kazuichi.

“Now that’s just rude. I’m honestly bummed out. Considering what I did at Jabberwock Island, I’m probably not gonna be accepted by the people there. Hey, gifted juvenile students. Can I become your friend and hang out with you guys here? I hope you guys would be okay with that.” said Nagito with a sad expression.

“Umm” mumbled Shuichi.

“Kehehe, Shuichi is such a forgiving individual. I’m sure his love and kindness knows no bounds.” said Korekiyo sarcastically.

“Stop putting words in his mouth. Trusting you was a risk enough. How are we just gonna accept someone who previously caused the death of two people and wanted to eradicate dozens of people who he knew beforehand.” said Maki.

“Neeheehee, true true. They definitely should have their guards up. Especially against cold blooded assassins who killed hundreds and thousands of people for a living. Even if their memories are fictional, the fact that their personality is created to be that way makes them a serious threat.” said Kokichi with laughter. 

Maki could only roll her eyes at the statement.  

“I honestly don’t know. I know nothing about your past.” said Shuichi.

“Does it matter? Whatever happened at the Jabberwock Island killing game is just fictional right? That’s what you said, not me.” said Nagito with a smile.

“The past in itself is a lie, it doesn’t exist in the present moment. But still, the memories of your past seem to be defining you a lot, even in this game. You caused two people to die today and have talked about your vile intentions. Korekiyo here has the memory and personality of a serial killer, but even he can function without trying to kill us all.” said Shuichi somberly.

“S-serial killer?” gasped Kazuichi and took distance from Korekiyo as much as possible.

Fuyuhiko looked at Korekiyo with a frown, Peko got between him and Korekiyo.

“Come on, I know I have been bad in the past. But I just wanna hang out with you because you seem to know so much and you seem so reliable. Even if my memories are fake and artificial, I still want to learn more and help you guys bring hope to the world.” said Nagito with brightness on his face.   

“Your idea of hope, is seriously fucked up.” said Fuyuhiko, frustrated.

Shuichi looked at Nagito, sweat poured down his chin.

“It’s not worth it, Shuichi. I can’t keep an eye on both Kiyo and this Nagito guy all the time.” said Maki.

“If his inclusion is just going to lead me to be suspected more, I also might advise against it. You’re trying to be fair for everyone. But that’s just not possible.” said Korekiyo. 

“I-I want…change.” said Shuichi.

“Change? Are you talking about change as in different currencies or the other meaning of the word change?”mumbled Kokichi.

“I want change just like I was able to change. Or how Maki was able to change. Even Kokichi, you were able to change.” said Shuichi.

“If you’re talking about me being usually in a vertical position only to then become horizontal and flat like a pancake due to being squashed, that's a bit insensitive but yeah, I guess that could be considered change.” said Kokichi with a bright smile.  

“I don’t know much about you Nagito. That’s also why I wanna talk to you, know you more, help you if you truly are just as malicious as people say you are.” said Shuichi.

“Help me? I’m honored. But I don’t think a trash like me deserves your help.” said Nagito. 

“Trash? Dude, seriously?! Why do you look down upon yourself like that?” asked Kaito, concerned. 

1