Ch 44 – Underground base
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“But do remember Aoi, that you are psychotic. You’re as violent and malicious as the rest of us.  Even if we had mistreated Sakura, we had a reason to be afraid of her. Her immense strength, fierce look, on top of the fact that she was the traitor. I think the way Yasuhiro and Toko acted was understandable if not predictable. So why try to act so moral and superior when you’ve used the flimsiest of excuses to unleash your violence upon us” said Byakuya. 

Aoi looked at the floor with guilt. Kyoko sighed and spoke. 

“I know what you’re trying to say, Byakuya. Human emotions are complex. And whatever moral system we have is whimsical, Monokuma’s killing game proved that. But that doesn’t mean we’re free to act as selfishly as we want. In fact, the difference between you and Aoi was the selflessness she showed during the trial” yelled Makoto.

“Khr, you talk as if being selfless is a good thing” said Byakuya.

“You’re the one who suggested that our moral system is skewed. So why are you trying to convince us that selfishness is good.” said Kyoko.

“Oh, please. I wasn’t trying to. You can do whatever you want so long as you don’t get in my way.” said Byakuya, clearly annoyed.

“Very well then. Sakura, we would like to do an experiment. I think you could help us. You have the monitor screen I left you, yes?” asked Kyoko in which Sakura nodded. 

“Chihiro, you wanna go with us? We might need your help on this” said Makoto.   

“O-of course.” said Chihiro.

“Great, carry that with you and let’s go then.” said Kyoko.

They all exited the dining hall.

“Let’s go to the entrance hall and enter Jabberwock Island.” said Kyoko. 

“U-umm, I don’t think you can” said Chihiro.

“Why?” asked Aoi.

“After Monokuma announced that the required 4 student deaths were reached, Kiyotaka and Mondo tried to enter Jabberwock Island. Strangely enough, they put their limbs into the portal and contacted a brick wall and couldn’t go past it.” said Chihiro.

“I see. They must have put up a wall in order to defend themselves from an attack. It’s fine. We can go to the gifted Juveniles Academy. We’ve contacted the people there and established a friendly relationship with them” said Kyoko with confidence.

The five of them went upstairs and soon reached the fifth floor then entered the dojo.  

“Alright, Sakura, Chihiro. You guys stay here. The three of us will enter the portal” said Makoto.

As they said, Kyoko, Makoto and Aoi entered the portal. When they entered no one was waiting for them in the narrow hallway behind the stage. After waiting a little bit they went back into the dojo to meet Chihiro and Sakura. 

“So, what happened?” asked Aoi.

“S-something strange” said Sakura. 

“Yeah. It is a very interesting result. The monitor said that you were positioned diagonally below the ground. 352 meters below.”  said Chihiro seriously.

“What? 352 meters?!” gasped Makoto.

“Hmm, 1 floor of Hope’s peak academy is around 3.2 meter tall. So Hope’s peak academy’s 5 story building is around 16 meter tall” said Kyoko.

“Which is nowhere near as long as the length between Hope’s peak and Gifted Juveniles!” yelled Aoi.

“I’m really surprised that the monitor is able to tell where the tracker is from underground like this. GPS uses satellites to function so having a working GPS underground is difficult as the earth blocks the satellite signals” said Chihiro.

“So, are we going to ignore the fact that the portal…well, actually teleports us?” asked Aoi.

“Yeah, I mean, we kinda figured that. What was your idea before?” asked Makoto, surprised by her comment.

“I dunno. Maybe I thought that there was some sort of a trick. And that the gifted juvenile academy is actually much closer to hope’s peak.” said Aoi.

“Yes, it is definitely impressive that such a technology is possible. But given how Junko managed to erase our memories and what Shuichi said was also quite strange. Given those memories and accounts we shouldn’t be closed off to new groundbreaking technology” said Kyoko. 

“Oh, that’s right. We haven’t listened to this” said Makoto as he pulled out the cassette recorder.

“Ahh, Shuichi told us to listen to this, right? Maybe he has an explanation for what's going on here” said Aoi. 

“Yeah, we should definitely go back to the dining hall and listen to this with the others there” said Makoto.

The other four nodded. They quickly went downstairs all the way to the first floor dining hall. When they entered the dining hall almost everyone was there. Kyoko counted quickly and said “Sayaka, Byakuya, Toko are not here.”

“It’s fine. I think it’s more than enough” said Makoto.

Makoto looked at all the students there.

“So, I grabbed a baseball bat from the ground and slammed the bastard with it on his butt. He yelped and cried like a little  puppy. Serves him right for messing with my gang” said Mondo with confidence.

“Wow, bro. That story was totally violent and probably wouldn’t be allowed in school. But those troublemakers broke the rules first and you punished them!” said Kiyotaka all energetic and slapped Mondo’s shoulder.

“Hey, my fame as the ultimate bike ganger is not for nothing!” said Mondo proudly.

“Yeah, that’s totally rad.” said Leon while he leaned on the back of the chair.

“Hey, everyone. I have something to tell you.” said Makoto loudly.

All eyes were on him now. Makoto pulled out the voice recorder and showed it to the people at the dining hall.

“This is the recording that Shuichi Saihara from the gifted juvenile academy gave us. He said it would explain everything he knows and might solve some of the confusion we are having in this killing game. So I want you all to listen to this carefully and silently.” said Makoto while eyeing each and every one of the people at the dining hall in front of him.

“Huh, those guys really know more than us?” asked Leon.

“I think they do. What they were talking about was definitely surprising and cryptic” said Kyoko.

“Well, we do not have anything better to do. And I was getting tired of hearing Mondo’s urban stories, so it might be a good change of pace” said Celestia with a smile.

“Right” said Makoto.

They all sat around the dining hall table and Makoto played the recorder and put it on the center of the table.

0