Chapter 21
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“After we left you with Jason and Margret we left the town and hoped to draw the church's attention away from you.” mother began.

 

Father continued, “We headed for the capitol using a roundabout path. We thought that the church would have more trouble catching us in a place under the watch of the royal family. But...”

 

 

“They must be using magic to track us. This is the second attack today!” Zendrik half-shouted in frustration, kicking a dead enemy's charred armor. We were only a few days away from Petra and they've already tracked us down. We weren't even following the road, but instead trekking through the wilderness, which didn't slow us down since we did so all the time during our adventuring days. But we have been attacked multiple times by teams of lower leveled paladins laying in wait along our course.

 

“We need to keep moving, the longer we wait the sooner they could attack again.” I say, trying to get us moving. We're still too close to Allure, I'm worried they'll target Petra if we don't draw them off.

 

“Right.” Zendrik said curtly, then followed me further into the forest. I change our course slightly after each attack, but it doesn't seem to matter; they still somehow figure out where to hide to ambush us. It's fortunate that the church hasn't sent anyone stronger to face us, but I can't help but be worried that they're sending these fodder to weaken us before moving in with the real forces. I know the simple solution is to ask the temples to shelter us, and they would for a time if we agreed to work for them, but that would undoubtedly make the temple and town sheltering us a target for the church's next purge. Our only real hope is to take refuge in the King's domain where the church doesn't dare make an open attack.

 

But even there we'll have to be on our guards for assassination or kidnapping attempts, so despite wanting to, we couldn't bring Allure with us. It would've been too dangerous. I promised her, and myself, that one day we would go back for her, but it won't be soon.

 

Noticing my mood dropping again Zendrik says, “Allure will be fine. She won't have to worry about the church and that's what's best for her now. I trust our friends to raise her right and once the church isn't breathing down our necks, we'll go back for her. Have faith.”

 

I sigh as I step over a fallen log, “I know. It's just hard not to worry about her. She's so young, so vulnerable. It's also hard knowing she might grow up without knowing us.”

 

“We will go back for her. We're not abandoning her, we're saving her from a life on the run, from daggers in the dark. We just have to bring down an organization of insane racists backed by some of the most powerful nobles in the kingdom.” Zendrik starts confidently before sighing in exasperation after the last part.

 

 

“We traveled for quite a wile, fighting off the daily ambushes and only stopping in any given town long enough to resupply before moving on. We did eventually make it to lands controlled by the royal family, where the attacks became less frequent. The fact that they didn't stop until we made it to the capitol itself speaks to the confidence and power of the church.” Mother said.

 

“Once we made it into the capitol the attacks stopped but another kind of harassment awaited us.” Father continued.

 

 

“Damn it! Another bust!” Zendrik shouted in frustration. We'd been searching for jobs related to fighting, such as being bodyguards or bouncers, seeing as that is what we're good at. Most merchants would usually jump at the chance to hire high level bodyguards like us, the fact that every one we've approached has turned us down is actually kinda suspicious.

 

“It's almost like they already know we're on the run, but that doesn't make much sense. We arrived just a few days ago.” I say, as I think things through. Could the church have gone ahead of us and announced us as their target to everyone? But acting openly like that would paint a target on their backs as much as ours. Would they really go so far just for a couple of tieflings, even knowing how high our levels are?

 

“Zendrik, I'm going to do some investigating tonight. Let's head back to the inn for now and make sure things look normal.” I whisper to my husband. He nods and we head back to rest for now.

 

After a short nap, I head out under the cover of night. The capitol city has a roaring nightlife so it's simple to blend in with the crowd and head towards that last merchant's place. Once I get close, I sneak into the alleys and blend in with the shadows. I'm thankful I only have to hide from the townsfolk and any nearby guards, all of whom are mostly low level. I find the back door and easily pick the lock to gain entree, but I only crack the door open a little and listen.

 

No one seems to be around so I quickly enter and softly close the door behind me, making sure it stays unlocked before moving on. I'm going to be searching for evidence of collusion with the church so I need to make my way into the offices. Hopefully everyone has gone home for the night.

 

The only things I find on the first floor are a small safe containing some coins. I leave it since I've long abandoned my thieving days, I can make more money exploring ruins and “dungeons” anyway. I silently make my way up onto the second floor where I have more luck. Unfortunately, after riffling through the first office I find there's no mention of the church. As I keep going I eventually come to the end of the second floor and see a light under one of the doors. Sneaking close I listen through it and hear the voice of the merchant we spoke to today, I think his name was something Reynolds, and someone else I don't recognize.

 

“-ey came just as you said they would. I turned them away like you asked.” Reynolds said.

 

“Good, excellent in fact. I'll release your daughter tomorrow. If you spread the word some more I might consider releasing your wife.” The other man said far too happily. His voice was a deep bass that sounded like it rumbled out from his chest. I heard the sound of metal scraping together, most likely plate armor from the sound. Hear it often enough and you begin to remember it.

 

“Please, I've done what you asked! Just give me back my family...”

 

“Oh, you'll get them back, but your attitude and your continued cooperation will determine the condition they're in when you do. Hehehe.” It sounded like he was closer now, moving towards the same door I was listening through. I'd only have a few moments to hide before whoever it was came through so I swiftly, but silently made my way to the next door and hid inside. Luckily it was unlocked and opened quietly.

 

I left the door open just a crack so I could look out and hopefully get a face to go with the voice. I heard the merchant's door open and the sharp clop of metal boots on the wooden floor as he walked towards the stairs. As he passed by I caught a glimpse of a tall man with short dark hair and chiseled features, he was carrying his steel helmet under his arm and his armor was marked with the symbols of the church of humanity. A spear was strapped to his back and looked well used; he was probably a veteran fighter, though truthfully it's hard to determine his class just from his superficial appearance.

 

He stopped just after passing the door I was hiding behind so I held my breath. He looked around for a moment before shrugging lightly and continuing on his way. I didn't release my breath until I was sure he was gone. Then I stepped out and turned to confront the merchant. If his family has been taken hostage then that explains why we were turned away, but it also represents an opportunity. If we can rescue them, he'll owe us a big favor; a favor we can use to keep ourselves safe from the church for a while.

 

I entered the room and found it to be a simple office with an unadorned desk to the right and brown leather couches for client meetings to the left. The merchant was sitting behind his desk and staring despondently at some papers, I don't think he really saw them so much as was lost in his misery. “What do you need now? I've already agreed to do as you've asked.” He said, sounding depressed. He didn't even realize I'm someone different.

 

“Good news, I'm not that church bastard. Better news, I can help you get your family back and defend you from the church's schemes.” He looks up sharply at the sound of my voice. I see recognition in his eyes for a moment before he turns away and clicks his tongue.

 

“You're already on the run from the church so your offer falls short of convincing.” He says with a sour look, keeping his eyes to the side.

 

“It's actually quite simple, we were on the run because we had no ground to stand on, but here in the capitol and with your help we could safely stand our ground and nothing short of a full offensive would be able to take me and my husband down. Trust me when I say we've been through our fair share of tough fights, I know how strong we are.” I respond with confidence. It's all true too, with a merchant's financial backing we could hold out almost indefinitely. Especially in the capitol where the church can't make any big, flashy moves. Yes, this could work.

 

Aaand this is the last of the chapters I had finished. I'm working on the next one, but I'm not sure if I'll have it done before next Saturday.

 

Only time will tell. Thanks for reading and I'll see ya next time!

0