Chapter 9
96 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We spent pretty much the whole day walking and are now settling down to rest for the night. We set up camp and get a fire going. I'm in charge of cooking while Argentian checks the area and gathers more firewood, and Lorain sits next to me. My cooking is passable, but I wouldn't call it good. Argentian compliments it as better than field rations, so I can only wonder how terrible those must have been.

 

After dinner we settle the watch rotation. Me and Argentian will take turns keeping watch while Lorain sleeps. She tried to argue that she could take a turn on watch, but we talked her down. We're her escorts so it's only right we be the ones to keep watch. I ritual-cast an Alarm spell to go off if anything but common animals get too close and let Argentian take first watch. Goodnight.

 

It isn't much longer before my Alarm wakes me up and I hear Lorain screaming. “Noo! Let go! Stop!” I leap up and grab my amulet, which is my spell focus, and rush out of my tent. I come out to see a chaotic scene. Argentian is occupied with two human ruffians while two more drag away Lorain. One of them raises a club and hits her in the head, knocking her out and probably giving her a concussion.

 

The two kidnappers move away at startling speed but I can't chase them alone so I decide to help Argentian get rid of the two thugs blocking him first. So I cast Chromatic Orb at one of them, burning him alive in no time flat. Can't do that often but if it helps us catch up to them faster... as his friend burns the other thug, (or maybe they're just bandits?) anywhoozle, he attacks Argentian and manages to get past his guard, but only manages a shallow cut. Then Argentian counter attacks and slices his arm badly. Immidiatly after my casting is finished and I launch a Fire Bolt into his face, killing him. Me and Argentian rush after the kidnappers and discover a cave just as they disappear into it and two more bandits approach us.

 

I quickly launch another Fire Bolt at one of the bastards as he moves towards my companion, hitting him in the gut and burning his armor. Argentian catches the two grunt's attacks on his shield then counter attacks the one I previously hit, killing him. By then my next Fire Bolt goes off and grazes the last guy. You might wonder why I'm just launching cantrips at this point and it's because we don't know how many of them there are, so I can't be wasteful with my spell-slots. Again Argentian and the bandit exchange blows with Argentian coming out on top and killing another. Again we rush forward into the cave, which is dimly lit by scattered torches. We come across three more bandits guarding the cave passage.

 

Once again I lead the attack with a Fire Bolt and nail a thug in the gut. One of them takes exception to that and targets me but Argentian moves to block him and I put up a Shield spell. The bandit's attack is blocked and Argentian counter attacks, stabbing the idiot in the side. Another bandit attacks Argentian but it bounces off his shield and then he finishes off the guy who attacked me. The last thug tries to attack me just like the one before but between my Shield and Argentian his attacks bounces harmlessly off my defenses. I cast Fire Bolt at the thug attacking Argentian and burn him badly enough that he attempts to escape. Argentian's Sentinel allowed attack misses so he runs further into the cave. Argentian than stabs the last bandit through the eye in anger, freeing us of hostiles for the moment. We rush down the passage and I'm glad to report that it doesn't deviate or branch, instead leading to a small cavern containing the thug who ran, two more thugs, and a noble-looking man.

 

“How unfortunate that I'm not allowed to kill this inhuman filth. Quickly men, deal with this trash. This young lady didn't have what we needed so one of these two must have it.” The nobleman says as he steps back. I decide we've seen all they have to offer so there's no reason to hold back with my spells any longer. I cast Aganzzar's Scorcher and catch two of the bandits in the flame, turning them to charcoal instantly. Argentian rushes up to Lorain's side and attacks the nobleman, but is blocked by his scimitar. At the same time the last bandit attacks me but I put up another Shield spell to block the attack. I then hear Argentian cry out and turn to see him take two biting attacks from the nobleman. He cut through the joints in his armor dealing desperate damage to my friend. Knowing I have to help as soon as possible I decide to end my skirmish with the bandit by casting my signature spell, Blackhorn's Solar Palm. Grabbing his face I sear flesh from bone with the light of the sun. Argentian manages to stab the gentleman in the arm, causing one of his attacks to veer off course but catches him on the back swing and deals more damage. I decide to cast Chromatic Orb at spell level two and try to finish this fight, it hits and burns him badly but he survives and tries to flee. He blocks Argentian's opportunity attack but I manage to stab him as he was distracted. He flees out of the cavern but I manage to get off one more Chromatic Orb as a parting gift, hitting him square in the back; unfortunately he manages to escape. I turn back to Lorain just in time to see Argentian wake her up.

 

I walk over as Lorain heals herself and Argentian helps her stand. “What was that about?” I ask to no one in particular.

 

“I think he read my memories. They woke me up long enough to use some strange tool on me. I could feel a slimy presence in my mind rifling through my memories for a moment. I don't know what they were looking for but I don't think they found it in my head.” Lorain said while casting Cure Wounds on Argentian.

 

“Damn. Well, we drove off that strange guy so hopefully their plans are ruined. The way he talked I have the feeling they were a bunch of human supremacists, maybe the Church of Humanity. No way to know now.” I said with finality. The Church has been making some troubling moves lately. Trying to find a foothold in Petra, trying to convert the local humans. Nothing violent yet, but with them it's only a matter of time.

 

“I hope it wasn't those so called Church bastards! They give a bad name to religion! They only worship humanity not the gods, they don't deserve to be called a church.” Lorain spits with vitriol. Glad to know where she stands, though I guess that should have been obvious. The Norse Temples all do and have always stood in opposition to the Church of Humanity. It's good to know we non-humans have allies in good places.

 

“Let's head back to camp and pack up. We should prolly move before settling down 'gain. Don't want them comin back fer more.” Argentian said reasonably. So we march back to our camp and pack up before heading off down the road a ways and then off into the forest a little to set up again. It was pitch dark by this time and Argentian and Lorain had trouble seeing in the dark s I did most of the work. Once I had a fire going we settled in again and got some rest, me and Argentian switching off once during the night to keep watch.

 

The next morning I cooked us another meal, which turned out okay. Then we packed up and set off again. We had an uneventful time walking down the road and eventually made it to Bistole as the sun was starting to set. Finally we escorted Lorain to her temple and said our goodbyes.

 

“Thank you ever so much. I wouldn't have made it back without your help. May Eir bless you both.” Lorain said before heading in to report to her superiors.

 

Me and Argentian went our own way to find an inn. It wasn't hard to find inns, but I relied on Argentian to find a reputable one. We payed our dues and took a long rest, thankful to have a real bed after a night on the road.

 

The next morning we got up early and had a meal before heading on our way back to Petra. Thankfully nothing happened on this return trip other than less than ideal cooking. And finally we walked through the gates to our home town.

 

“Thanks a bunch Argnetian. You were the MVP this time. Anything you want to celebrate?” I said to my companion after we finally made it home.

 

“Naw, I'm good. But I am gonna have a chat with your uncle about those church bastards. If we're right their obviously makin moves near town, and I don' like that.” He said in response.

 

“Yeah, I have to report to my superiors about it too. That's going to be a fun conversation. Especially since we don't know for sure that it was the church.”

 

I gave a summery to my Uncle when we got back, supplemented by Argentian's commentary. And after a nights rest I reported to my superiors in the guild, but because there was nothing to go off of nothing happened and I went back to my regular routine. Little did I know we'd know for sure soon enough, and I'd regret not making more preparations.

 

The climax of this arc is coming up. The end of the first arc is upon us and I'm excited to write it. It'll be hard to portray well though. I wonder if my skills are up to it.

 

Thanks for reading! See ya later.

4