Chapter 17 – Kral
68 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On a lone mountain, which seemed out of place, there stood an entourage of three adults who looked to be in their mid-thirties and ten young adults around 18 or 19 years old.

In front of them was a piece of magic apparatus, which looked like a sheet of paper, displaying images of 6 different individuals. The mountain was like a colossal watchtower; its peak was the highest point in the surrounding area. Those standing on it could clearly see the top of all the trees in the surrounding area.

"I can't believe there's only six from Blue city this year," A beautiful lady said as she looked into the magic apparatus.

"Yeah, me neither. It seems our requirements are too hard for most. It wasn't helpful that a certain someone decided to get all heated up for some reason," replied a burly man next to her.

"Just address me directly. Why act all sly about it?" asked a handsome man standing opposite the two.

"Oh, please, Lucas, there's no one here who didn't know who I was talking about," the burly man said as he gestured to the crowd of students behind them.

"Whatever. Laugh all you can while it lasts. I'm sure to be reunited with my gold soon," Lucas replied

"Hahaha, that's IF I give you the chance. Anyways Anna, going back to your point earlier. I think that although we only have six this year, things aren't as bad as they seem," Victor said as he looked toward the beautiful lady.

"Oh? Please do go on."

"Well, if you think about it. The quality of those three students is much higher than what we usually see each year. In fact, it's not even an exaggeration to say that those three are likely to become one of the top 10 ranked in the Academy" Victor raised his voice slightly, making sure that all the students behind him heard. He believed that competition would help motivate them.

"Top 10? How could that be? Aren't you getting ahead of yourself here?" Anna was doubtful of the words she heard.

"Of course not. Especially that scarlet-haired youth. I believe he will go far in the future if given a chance to spread his wings. Wouldn't you agree, Lucas?" Victor asked

"Huh? Scarlet haired? Ugh! He won't go very far with his shitty attitude. The kid has no respect for his elders."

"Hahaha, he seemed pretty respectful to me."

"Whatever."

"I just think he doesn't like you, to be honest. With the way you acted, whose fault would that be?" Victor questioned.

"I said whatever. Either way, he's not getting any help from me. In fact, he's lucky I don't discipline him myself" Lucas held out a clenched fist and started squeezing hard.

"Hahaha, one of the great teachers of our esteemed academy, getting all riled up over an 18-year-old. I wonder what old gramps would say if he heard about this"

"Huh, gramps? Where?" Lucas started looking around in a panicked state over the mention of this figure. This action was met with laughter from the rest of the people on the mountain.

It had been roughly 40 minutes since the start of the second trial, yet Silver hadn't managed to run into anyone or anything.

Is this place just an empty field? Surely this can't be all there is to the trial?

He wondered when he would see something other than this never-ending grass field. It is said that one never appreciates the true value of something until it is lost. Silver was about to understand the weight of these words shortly, as in the distance, a high-level D class beast was making its way towards him.

The beast was a Kral, known for its savage nature and man-eating habits. It was an abomination of a beast that looked like a cross between a rhino and a chicken. It was about two meters long and a meter tall, with a blade-like horn protruding from the middle of its eyes.

On either side of its thick hide were two feathery wings that most likely couldn't be used for flight. Any onlooker who saw this beast trotting along these grassy plains would feel deeply sorry for it and may even curse whoever made such a pitiful creature.

"MOOO!"

[ Wait a minute. Did I just hear a cow? ]

Silver asked himself as he looked in the direction the sound came from.

[ No, that's not a cow. That's a, a... Oh shit! What the hell is that thing? ]

Silver had no time to think and so decided to run away from the monstrosity that was now less than 100 meters from him.

"MOOO!"

The Kral was reluctant to give up its chase as it excitedly bounced around like a bull charging at a matador's cape. This continued for a while until Silver began to slow down.

[ Wait a minute, from the energy it exudes, I can tell that's definitely a D class beast. I can probably beat it, too, so why am I running? ]

Silver asked himself as he took a quick glance back at his pursuer.

[ Ah, yes. I remember now. ]

Silver had no intention whatsoever of battling against such a beast. This was mainly because it really was the most hideous thing he had ever seen. It was so much so that he felt even touching it might give him an incurable disease. With this thought in mind, he quickly picked up his pace.

About 10 kilometers in the direction Silver was running, Isabella had just finished killing a Kyder. Some parts of her clothing were ripped off, and her veil had been completely torn.

[ I really can't believe they put a D class beast in this trial. Are they trying to kill someone? ]

She thought to herself as she changed into new clothes and wore a new veil. The battle had taken a toll on her, and she was confident that besides herself and that scarlet-haired youngster, no one else would have survived the encounter.

[ Why am I thinking of him again? ]

Isabella asked herself as she looked into the distance.

[ Sigh. I'm even seeing him now,]

Isabella noticed a figure approaching her quickly, which became clearer the closer he got. She shook her head a few times, thinking it was just her thoughts, but then she soon found out he really was there as he came closer and closer.

Whoosh

A cool breeze brushed against her as the figure dashed passed. Isabella was shocked. Was she just ignored? Or did she perhaps become invisible?

As she looked up and followed the direction the figure had run off in, she saw the familiar scarlet-haired stranger come to an abrupt stop and shake his head as though he were contemplating something. He then looked back towards her and started running back to where she was standing.

[ Oh, not this again, please,]

Isabella grew anxious again for reasons she could not identify and had to fight a strong urge to look down.

"Hey, Uhm, I know we don't know each other or anything, but you need to start running. Preferably anywhere except that direction," Silver said as he pointed towards where he had first come running from.

"May I ask, why?" said Isabella in a calm voice which surprised even her

"Uhh... How should I say this? It's kind of hard to explain, and you will probably not believe me but let's just say, if you stay here, you will most likely be in great danger," Silver replied and started running off as though he no longer cared what the veiled woman chose to do.

Isabella was shocked. How could he just tell her she was in danger and then run away? Wasn't a man supposed to protect a lady? Had chivalry died? Or did he simply just not care about her. No, it definitely wasn't the last case. Had he not cared, he wouldn't have returned to warn her.

As she came to this realization, Isabella started blushing but soon sobered up as she remembered the look of struggle on Silver's face before turning back. He obviously had to think hard about that decision. What did she expect anyway? They were strangers, after all.

"MOOOO!"

[ What? Don't tell me he was afraid of a cow? ]

Isabella looked in the direction of the sound and almost fainted from shock.

[ Oh, crap. That really is hard to explain. ]

"Hey! Wait for me" She started running in the same direction as Silver, finding out he had been right all along.

3