After the End c27
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was 9PM. Kahlil was trying to decide whether to do another mission before going to bed, which would be his third of the day, or make a snack and go to bed early.  He decided that an early night would be well deserved.

His phone buzzed.  Stevo.

"Turn on the news, are you seeing this?"

Hmm, what's going on?  He grabbed the remote and turned the TV on.

"To summarize what little we know so far.  North Korea issued a bizarre statement, even by their standards, accusing the South of using 'Ghost Warriors' to attack them in several villages."

"Oh Shit!" Kahlil exclaimed to the empty room.  That's how they are going to do it!  Get us fighting amongst ourselves, then sweep up the broken pieces.

"Around fifteen minutes ago an artillery barrage from North Korea began, right along the border.  We know little details of casualties or damage so far, we are currently unable to reach our correspondent.  We hope that because she's seeking shelter."

Kahlil sent a message to Stevo, then to Debbie. 

"Get your Mum to the farm, it's time I think."

"Get to the farm with your Dad and Claire, it's time." 

Kahlil looked around his apartment one last time.  He'd already moved most of his stuff to the farm.  He decided to text his brother. 

"Things about to get very bad.  If you can, come to England with your fam NOW. I have a safe place, here's the address.  I love you bro."

Kahlil attached a link to Google maps, then sent the message.  All most immediately his phone rang. 

"Hello?" 

"Kahlil, it's Mr. White.  Have you seen the news?" 

"Yes, I am watching it now. This is it I think." 

"We think so too.  Get your team safe and hunker down.  We'll be in touch." 

Kahlil turned his attention back to the TV.  The South Korean's denied any knowledge of an attack on the North, obviously as it wasn't them, but vowed they would repel any attack, and meet 'fire with fire'. 

They were showing footage now of burning buildings and rubble in several South Korean settlements.

He turned off the TV, grabbed his "go bag" from by the door, and left his flat for the final time. 

------

Stevo parked his car outside his mother's house on the edge of town, and walked up the garden path between two immaculate flower beds.  He'd already phoned his Mum, and told her to pack a bag.  She'd agreed to stay with him for "a few days, until things calm down", but she thought Stevo was overreacting to the situation.  Korea was on the other side of the world after all! 

Stevo's mother stepped out of her house wearing a pair of Armani jeans and a navy blue Hollister sweater.  She also had on a new pair of white and peach Adidas sneakers to complete her look.  Although she wasn't a 'fashion victim', she always bought expensive brands and labels as she believed they were better quality.  For a 54 year old widow, Diana, was an attractive woman.  Stevo knew she had the occasional male friend stay over, but considered it none of his business. 

"Tell me again about this place we are going going to be staying at Steven."

"As I said on the phone, it's an old farmhouse a few miles outside of the town.  There is plenty of food and other supplies there, and it will be much safer than staying in town." 

"And who does it belong to?" 

"My friend Kahlil bought it, but I invested a little money.  The plan was to turn it into a guest house, but everything happened so fast."  Stevo hated lying to his mother, but she would feel better staying there if she knew he owned a stake in the place."

"You don't really think anything is going to happen do you, Steven?" 

"I don't know Mum.  I do know that I would feel dreadful if anything happened to you in town, when you could be safe and comfortable on the farm." 

Stevo's mum, was the only person who called him Steven, and nothing he said would ever change that.  She could be frustrating, and a bit of a snob at times, but he loved her. It was such a relief to get her in the car and moving, seemingly accepted that she was going to be his guest for a while.  He'd work on the rest later.

------

Debbie and Claire had struggled to convince their father to come with them.  He'd refused initially saying that he was too busy, and then by saying he was a grown man, who would live or die in his own home. 

It was only when the TV announced that North Korea had launched several missiles towards Japan, that he began to accept the seriousness of the situation.  Twenty minutes later, reports of Niigata and Akita being hit, and communications having been lost with Seoul, the South Korean capital, he finally consented to pack a bag and stay overnight at the farm, but he would still be going to work each morning!

And so it was that the group ended up at the farm, congregated in the kitchen, where Diana and Debbie had taken charge, having become fast friends, cooking up a big pot of pasta and sauce, while everyone sat glued to the TV watching events unfold. 

Fortunately the majority of the missiles North Korea had lobbed at Japan had been destroyed by Japanese air defence, and those that had hit their targets had been conventional rather than nuclear, causing limited damage and casualties.  The talking heads on the news programs thought these strikes were meant as a "warning" to Japan against getting involved. 

Reports from Seoul were grim, large swathes of the city had been smashed by North Korean rockets and artillery, with countless casualties.  The South Korean army had stopped the North Korean advance however, and were inflicting heavy losses on their enemy. 

China was said to be massing forces in the South, with an eye on Taiwan whilst the world is distracted.  The USA was sending a carrier group to the area, and several thousand extra troops to assist the South Koreans. 

Closer to home, there were reports of a man with a bow terrorizing a housing estate in Manchester, six people having been shot before he seemingly vanished. There were similar reports from other cities across Europe, leading to speculation this was the activity of a terrorist group of some sort. 

Debbie and Claire were alarmed to see how pale their father looked whilst watching the news, he'd complained of feeling 'tired', and quickly accepted when Kahlil offered to get him settled into one of the spare rooms.  Debbie and Claire kissed him goodnight, and promised to wake him for work the next day.  They both knew they wouldn't, but it was a white lie designed to put his mind at rest. 

Soon steaming hot bowls of pasta were being passed around to a grateful group.  They were surprised when there was a knock at the door.   Stevo went to answer it. 

"Room for one more?" Adam asked. "We've been ordered to dispurse from the cities and await instructions."

"Sure, come in Adam.  My mother Diana is in the kitchen, and not yet 'in the loop' regarding enlightenment etc." 

"Right you are, but now might be time to break it to her perhaps?  Having a member of His Magesty's security services around might make it easier to believe?" 

"Maybe Adam, but not tonight.  Let's see what tomorrow brings."

They walked into the kitchen, Stevo doing the introductions.

"Mum, this is a friend of ours Adam White, Adam, my mother Diana." 

"Pleased to meet you Diana." Adam said, taking her hand. 

"You too Adam, will you join us for a late meal?  Pasta with a cream and mushroom sauce." 

Adam accepted the food and joined the rest of the group watching the TV.  Not much had changed, there was some new video of the fighting in Korea, but neither side had made much progress. 

"I'm going to go and check on Dad, he didn't look well before." Claire announced. 

She walked off to nods from the others, who were busy with their food. 

Kahlil's phone buzzed, it was his brother. 

"Thanks for the offer, going to father-in-law's place in Bavaria. Keep safe,  I love you too Bro." 

Kahlil noticed lots of eyes looking at him. 

"It was a message from my brother.  He's safe, heading to Bavaria to stay with his wife's parents."

"Stevo!  Quick!" 

Claire yelled from the top of the stairs. 

"Dad's really struggling, he's holding his chest and he's sweating." She added. 

Stevo was on his feet in an instant, and ran into the bedroom with Debbie and Kahlil not far behind.  Adam and Diana hovering in the doorway. 

Stevo took one look at Debbie and Claire's father. Alan, and knew he was having a heart attack.  Stevo could save him, but then he'd have to explain everything to his mother,and indeed Alan. He'd have to do that sooner or later, it was going to be sooner.  He subvocalised his healing spell, Alan's complexion took on a much better colour in seconds.  His breathing became easier. 

"The pain's gone.  Stevo, what did you do to me?" asked Alan. 

"Yes, Steven. What did you just do?" echoed Diana. 

 

0