Chapter 11 – Can you… hear me?
93 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I gently strapped it to my head, subconsciously acting like it was fragile glass that would crack at the slightest touch.

A logo with the word 'Harmony' flashed past the screen.

The all so familiar male voice exclaimed deeply,

'Welcome, Game Tester El.

-Opening Destiny-

Please keep the following two things in mind.

First and foremost, please do not reveal to any of the NPC's that the world they are in is a game.

It leads to various bugs which we are currently fixing.

Secondly, you will assume the role of a godess, who is assisting the NPC's to improve their lives.

Now, please close your eyes.'

I obediently shut my eyes.

'Last but not least, please do enjoy yourself, and take care of your mental health.

Good Luck, Tester El.'

A few seconds passed, as I calmly waited with closed eyes.

'Ah. You can open your eyes now.'

The sight that met my eyes blew my breath away.

Nature stretched endlessly in front of my eyes.

I gulped, still stunned to the core.

Everything from the noise, to the smell, to what I was seeing... it felt alive.

It felt much more real than real life itself.

"So they weren't exaggerating." I muttered under my breath.

'Imagine yourself levitating, Tester,' The male voice uttered.

I imagined myself flying free-

"AAAAAGH!"

***

I lay on the ground with a pale face.

I was about ninety percent sure that I had vomited enough to fill those small inflatable swimming pools.

Imagining a person entering an inflatable swimming pool filled with vomit made me retch again.

I really needed to find a way to not imagine stuff like that.

'Do you want to repeat the flying tutorial?' The male voice, who I decided to call 'narrator' asked.

"No." I groaned. I had gotten a pretty firm handle on how to fly.

Most mechanics in this game seemed to run based on imagination, and they were relatively easy to master.

'Main Storyline Unlocked.'

A message popped up at the corner of my vision, and disappeared after a few seconds.

I sighed and sat up.

I had no time to dilly dally. I wanted to check on Adelle.

I gently levitated myself into the air and flew towards the village Adelle was in.

Luckily, the VR version of 'Destiny' has a mini-map, which made my life so much easier.

The narrator began speaking again.

'In your current state, the in-game characters will be able to see you.

Please imagine yourself turning invisible if you do not want to be seen by the in-game characters.'

I swiftly imagined myself vanishing in third person view, and continued my leisurely flight once more.

I kind of wanted to just fly around slowly for a while.

The scenery was just way too beautiful, and flying like this felt... magical.

But, as a hard working and diligent employee, I would, naturally, not ignore my duties.

After about half an hour, I reached Adelle's current location. I went into her alleyway when I suddenly remembered about yesterday.

She had been engulfed in a bright while light due to the monster core, and I had also not given her any food since around afternoon yesterday, had I?

I felt like a major piece of s***. Yes, I had been busy and excited, and a lot of things had happened, but forgetting about her completely till I arrived at her alley-

The thought that she was just a game character greatly eased my guilt.

I gently descended next to her and opened the shop.

I now had 2 DP.

It seems I had finally leveled up.

I was still a Blessed Human, though.

After a little bit of thought, I decided to give Adelle soup again. If I bought her bread, I'd also have to buy her the option I newly unlocked, a mineral water bottle. After all, she did not have access to a water source. I wanted to preserve at least one DP for emergencies.

A bowl of lukewarm soup appeared in my hands.

Adelle spun her head and stared at the soup for a few seconds, before calming down and smiling softly.

"She's really cute." I muttered, her actions reminding me of a stray cat.

Adelle stared at me with shock, her eyes and mouth widening.

'Wait, what?' I exclaimed in my mind.

With how advanced the VR headset was, I should have expected that Adelle could hear me, especially after the narrator had said that the NPC's could see me.

I asked nervously, "Um, Hello! Can you hear me, Adelle?"

She stared at me with nervousness spreading across her face for a few seconds before nodding her head vigorously.

'Kyaaaaa!' I squealed in my mind while grasping my heart.

This girl... her cuteness is seriously way too lethal! It's off the charts! It's over 9000!

"Who are you?" Adelle asked, interrupting my stream of thoughts.

'It should be okay to turn visible,' I thought. After all, I wasn't really all that uncomfortable with being visible to the NPC's.

I imagined myself turning visible and declared, "I... am a goddess."

***

-Adelle POV-

I stared at the wall in front of me while pondering about what I should do next.

I had awakened due to the stone that the invisible hunter had given me, but what now?

That aside, just what was that jewel?

I have never heard of a stone helping someone awaken. It definitely must be something very special and rare.

Just why did the invisible hunter give me, of all people, something like that?

Their kindness was... unreasonable.

I couldn't believe that their kindness had no whatsoever ulterior motive behind it.

Suddenly, a bowl of soup appeared at the corner of my vision.

I reflexively turned my head towards it, but calmed down when I realized it was probably the invisible awakened.

"She's really cute."

"Eh?" I grunted subconsciously.

'That... is that the invisible person's voice?!'

A series of thoughts flashed through my mind before I finally began processing the contents of what she had said.

'She... called me... me... cute?'

That made no whatsoever sense. I was caked in dirt and grime, and I was wearing rags that barely passed as clothed.

Even if I was completely clean, I was not really all that beautiful nor cute.

I stared at her blankly, not knowing how to respond.

People either shot me looks of disgust, or gave me their sympathy. I didn't really mind sympathy, since it was what allowed me to survive this long.

But for the first time, someone complimented me.

That too, that I was cute.

"Um, Hello! Can you hear me, Adelle?" The awakened asked.

'Why wouldn't I be able to hear you?' I pondered for a few seconds before nodding my head.

She seemed... surprised that I could hear her. Is that why she hadn't talked at all till now? Or maybe she did, but I couldn't hear her till now?

I let my mind simmer for a bit before deciding to have another go at asking her who she was and why she was helping me.

"Who are you?" I asked.

My heart felt like it was being devoured by a swarm of ants.

Should I even be asking her questions like these? What if she gets angry? What if she gets offended?

She was someone who was able to easily help me awaken, after all. She could probably crush me like I was a small bug, especially considering that I am an orphan with no whatsoever backing.

Powerful people did have eccentric temperaments, and could be easily angered.

I knew nothing about her, nor her intentions.

Suddenly, a girl materialized in front of me.

She looked to be about... fifteen?

"I... am a goddess," She declared, her voice filled with authority.

Author's Note:

I've edited the past few chapters. No major changes, just a few grammatical errors and a few flow issues. I'm also stockpiling chapters, so hopefully, you guys won't have to face my constant disappearances with no update of chapters. 

3