Valentine’s Date (All In One)
46 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                Koemi Tanaka was trapped. She struggled weakly against her binds before falling back, exhausted. It was humiliating if she was honest. How, exactly, did one get stuck in their own blankets? Was it even possible? Evidently, yes. Yes, it was. She thought about calling for her assistant before remembering she’d given her the day off.

                To say she’d been in a similar situation before wouldn’t be too gross an overstatement. Though she’d never been innocent of blame before. Usually, she’d been too blown out from partying the night before. This time she was sick. She’d been called in by Sachi for yet another in an endless series of vocal retakes and had been subsequently trapped by her overachieving older sister for hours in the studio to get the “proper tonal inflection” in one line. She groaned and tried to flail about; the blankets wrapped around her made it impossible to do more than writhe piteously.  She was sick and absolutely, uselessly miserable.

                After working late into the night Koemi hadn’t even had the energy left to go dancing. She’d simply gone home, crawled into bed, and wrapped herself in blankets to ward off the sudden chill from her fever. In hindsight the blankets might have been a bad idea seeing how her current situation was playing out. What could she do?

                She could call Sachi, but it was Valentine’s Day and no doubt her and Akari were going to spend the day getting slippery. Though she had no doubt Sachi would come over and rescue her if she called, she would never be allowed to live down the humiliation of needing to be rescued from her own blankets. No, Sachi wasn’t an option and, by extension, neither was Akari. Mari and Yukiko were most likely similarly engaged in eating kitty, and she didn’t mean sketchy chicken from some back street food stall.

                “Heh,” Koemi chuckled weakly at her own naughtiness. Rei? No, not an option since she was “antiquing” today, whatever the hell that meant. It was Valentine’s day so, maybe she was going on a date with some old person? No, there was no one to help. She’d simply have to extricate herself.

                “Nooooooo!” Koemi groaned as she rolled about on her bed. The sheets were satin and, though they seemed like a good idea at the time, were not cooperating in the least. The shiny grey demon fabric exacerbated her predicament, making it impossible to get any purchase. Finally, lacking options Koemi rolled off the bed completely with a thud and groan of pain and then across the floor like an egg roll coming undone. Mmm, she thought, egg rolls sounded good.

                Leaving the blankets sprawled on the bedroom floor Koemi staggered to her feet and made her way to the bathroom. Nineteen varieties of eyeshadow, twenty lipsticks, blush by the dozens, mascaras, creams, ointments, bases, everything under the sun she could find to make herself look beautiful or edgy or however she was feeling that day could be found in her bathroom. Not one thing to make her feel better, though. A tactical blunder to be sure, Koemi thought ruefully. Thousands of yen spent on making her already staggeringly amazing beauty more staggeringly amazing (staggeringlyer?) and not a single goddamn pain reliever? Yes. A blunder to be sure.

                Reluctantly pulling on a pair of grey sweats and over-sized “Sexah Kittah” shirt with a stencil of a cat looking over its tail, she prepared herself for the horror of going outside. Completing her ensemble with a pair of tennis shoes and a Chunichi Dragons baseball cap she made her way downstairs toward the drug store.

                Koemi realized immediately on exiting her apartment building she’d made yet another tactical blunder by failing to realize it was mid-February in Tokyo. The wind blew cold and vicious through the steel and glass towers surrounding her and caused her eyes to water as she stood stock still and shivering in the cold. She looked down the street to the lights of the drugstore and then glanced back toward the door of her apartment, her already aching head and body shivering uncontrollably. Did she go back to get a jacket or did she just chance hypothermia and go to the drugstore? Her laziness finally won out and she trudged as quickly as she was able down the street toward the distant doors. Her stomach growled angrily, as if prompted by her incessant shivering to speak up for itself.

                The warmth of the drug store was immediately offset by the peculiar smell which seemed to linger in the place, reminding Koemi vaguely of her grandmother’s bathroom. Mothballs, medication, old lady scented shampoo and the smell of pills used to control every ailment known to man coalesced into an olfactory assault Koemi could barely stomach in her current weakened state. Resolving herself to get in and out as quickly as possible she made her way to the cashier staring blankly up at something in the rafters.

                “Pain killers?” She asked, fighting down the urge to look at what he was staring at. He blinked and looked in her direction, though several centimeters over her head as if unwilling to make any sort of eye contact.

                “Do you have a prescription?” He tried to affect a helpful tone but stopped somewhere around disinterested obligation and let his tone stay there. She shook her head. “Aisle 4, then.” Koemi thanked him and stumbled toward Aisle 4.

                “How are there so many different types of pain pills?” She muttered to herself in frustration. The entire right side of the aisle was filled with bottles, pouches and powders all proclaiming themselves to be the best pain killer money could buy. They couldn’t all be the best and, honestly, she couldn’t be bothered to read labels so, taking a more is better approach, she simply grabbed four bottles which seemed the most convincing and made her way back to the cashier who’d switched his attention to the windowsill behind him. She dragged the credit card from her pocket and paid for her purchases before reluctantly heading back outside.

                “So far away,” she moaned, staring balefully at the apartment building entrance in the distance. Her head was swimming and the idea of walking down the street filled her with a sense of existential dread. Maybe call a taxi? It was ok to call a taxi for three blocks, right? She wasn’t sure but she was almost positive she’d pass out and roll into the sewers beneath Tokyo if she tried to walk that far. Suddenly, the smell of rice and beef and wonton floated to her nose and, like a primitive Pavlovian response she started to salivate, and her head swung to the right. Half a block away someone was coming out of a building and that very building was the source of the heavenly smell.

                Immediately she walked toward the now closed door. Even if she did manage to get home without becoming a sewer dweller, she still had only a couple bottles of wine and some dry noodles and whipped cream for food there. She wanted…no, she needed fried rice and jasmine tea and crab Rangoon and something pork-like.

                “Welcome!” The man at the host station greeted her warmly. He was handsome enough but put off something of a “dumb as a bag of sticks” vibe. Koemi nodded weakly and leaned on the counter for support. She drew closer to him and fixed him with a desperate gaze.

                “Char Siu,” she mumbled. “Stat.”

                “W-well, how about we get you a table first!” He enthused, grabbing a menu, and gesturing her to follow. She flung herself weakly into the booth he gestured to and struggled to open the intricately folded menu.

                “Nanami will be your server today and she’ll be right with you,” he smiled at her and cocked his head slightly to the side, looking a bit like a cocker spaniel. Koemi tried to smile, failed, and simply nodded. Her fever was getting worse, she thought. Her watery gaze wandered between the menu and the bag of pills as if trying to decide what the priority was right now. Her stomach finally won out and she grunted softly, trying to force the intransigent menu open.

                “Welcome, customer,” a voice said at her elbow. Koemi jumped in surprise and turned to the new voice. The woman standing there was, quite honestly, stunning. Her long black hair was delicately piled into a bun on top of her head and secured with two long hair pins. Her eyes were large and brown beneath her delicate eyebrows and her small nose perched adorably atop her full peach lips. Her body was clad in a thigh length purple Cheongsam, showing a tantalizing strip of skin where the slit ran up her leg. “My name is Nanami and I’ll be your waitress today. Can I start you off with something to drink?”

                “Jasmine tea,” Koemi muttered, not taking her eyes off the soft pale skin of the waitress’ thighs. 

                “I’ll be right back, then,” Nanami made a note on the pad she carried and walked away. You have an amazing butt, Koemi marveled, watching as her pert backside moved effortlessly as the waitress sashayed toward her station. “I’m sorry?” Nanami turned around and Koemi’s already flush face reddened dangerously.

                “Did I say that out loud?” Koemi asked herself out loud.

                “You did, yes, dear customer,” Nanami chuckled.

                “Not ideal,” Koemi told herself, again out loud. “Though true, I should apologize.” Koemi smiled and fixed Nanami with bleary eyes, unaware her inner monologue had somehow broken down. “I apologize!”

                “No need,” Nanami chuckled. “Thank you for the compliment.” Koemi grinned awkwardly as Nanami turned and continued on.

                “That went perfectly,” Koemi congratulated herself. She turned back to the stubborn menu and tugged listlessly at it for a moment before giving up. She knew what she wanted and didn’t need a troublesome menu anyway. She turned back to the bag and fished through it before dragging out a box with the picture of a happily oblivious child grinning at her mutely on the front. She ripped open the box and took the bottle from within, the same troubles which had beset her all morning continuing on with the bottle of pills. “Child safety lock, what the fuck?” Koemi muttered, straining to figure out how to open the top. “Can only kids open this thing? God dammit!” She banged the bottle on the table in front of her helplessly, the plastic silently judging her for her inability to get the lid open.

                “Do you need a hand, customer?” Nanami, who had reappeared beside the table asked as she set the pot of tea and a cup down.

                “A hand?” Koemi asked cocking her head to the side. A deliciously lewd thought raced through her mind and she giggled wildly.

                “I mean with the bottle, dear customer,” Nanami gestured at the bottle Koemi was still banging limply on the table.

                “It won’t open,” Koemi’s fevered brain wasn’t producing much in the way of coherent thought and it was becoming more and more difficult to focus. She pointed a finger of her other hand at it while still smacking it against the polished wood. “I think it’s only for kids to open.”

                “Let me help you with that,” Nanami took the bottle gently from her and pushed down and twisted the lid to open it.

                “Sugoi!” Koemi breathed in awe as Nanami handed the bottle back. Koemi shoved her finger through the foil film on top of the bottle and peered inside.

                “Those are children aspirin,” Nanami pointed out. “I’m not sure those will be helpful, dear customer. You seem to have a fever if I’m not mistaken.”

                “No, it’s ok, I have a fever,” Koemi mumbled incoherently.

                “Hmm, I’ll tell you what, my shift is pretty much over, would you like me to see you home?”

                “Home?” Koemi thought wistfully. “Yes. With Char Siu.”

                “Do you have any other pills in the bag?” Nanami asked patiently. Koemi held the bag out helpfully toward her.

                “Yes,” she agreed.

                “Here, take these,” Nanami opened a different bottle and handed two pills to Koemi. “I’ll be back in just a minute, ok?” Koemi stared at the pills in her hand and nodded. It was far more difficult manipulating the pills than she’d originally thought it would be, but after several starts and stops, she managed to get the pills down with the help of the glass of water on the table.

                “Ok, I’m ready,” Nanami was now covered in a long woolen coat and had a bag in her hands filled with luscious smells. “Where do you live, dear customer?”

                “Live?” Koemi thought for a long moment. Nanami sighed and shrugged.

                “I guess you live with me today,” she finally said. “Come along and let me help you up. What’s your name, anyway? I can’t just keep calling you ‘dear customer’ after all.”

                “I am Koemi,” Koemi declared proudly.

                “Come along, then, Koemi, let’s get you some rest.” Koemi nodded dumbly and, leaning heavily on Nanami, made her way outside into the cold.

                “Ugh,” Koemi muttered, eyelashes fluttering as she slowly regained consciousness. She opened her eyes and took in the strange surroundings around her. She had woken up in quite a few strange places in her time. None quite as odd as this, though. She assumed it was a bedroom, but it was the size of a closet. Clothes lay on a small dresser near a window opening onto what seemed to be a brick wall across the way. Koemi caught the damp rag as it fell off her head while she sat up gingerly. She glanced down at the rag and noticed her sweatshirt was missing, replaced by a large pale blue overshirt. Where the hell was she, and what the hell was going on?

                Had she been kidnapped? She’d read horror stories about celebrities being kidnapped and held for ransom. Was she being held for ransom? Would anyone pay? Sachi would probably insist the kidnappers teach her some discipline before paying a ransom. She was fairly sure Mirai would pay her ransom…but what if it were a lot of money? Would she be forced to pay it back?

What if she’d been violated? She had different clothes on so whoever kidnapped her had taken her clothes off. Was she still a virgin? The therapy bills for this would be ridiculous. When did Stockholm Syndrome kick in? Was there a timeframe when a victim would become a cold-blooded killer doing the bidding of their captors? Did she have to use a gun to be a cold-blooded, mind-controlled killer? Koemi wasn’t much on violence so hopefully she could just sort of cheerlead from the side as they took trains and stuff hostage. Would the courts give her a more lenient sentence if that happened? Would her family still throw her aside if she didn’t actually kill anyone? So many questions, none of which Koemi knew the answer to.

“Ah, you’re awake!” The woman said as she walked into the room through where the bedroom door would theoretically have been located had it not been leaning against the wall at a rakish angle a short distance away at the moment. Koemi recognized her…sort of. She was an extremely attractive woman with long black hair framing a soft, beautiful face with expressive eyes and a positively gorgeous pair of lips. If she were the kidnapper maybe things wouldn’t be so bad, Koemi thought. “Are you feeling better?” The woman nudged the bowl she was carrying onto the table beside the table and dipped a spoon into the bowl, holding it up for Koemi. A delicious and inviting smell drifted from the bowl, causing Koemi’s mouth to water.

“Ah, yes. I feel better, thanks. Do I know you?” Beating around the bush had never been one of Koemi’s strong suits. “My sister won’t pay a ransom, you know.”

“Ransom?” The woman cocked her eyebrow quizzically at Koemi. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, Koemi. You should eat some soup; it’ll help you feel better quicker.” Koemi stared down at the soup hungrily, yet warily. Was it poisoned? Was it like a hentai? She’d seen one once and the big-boobed main character started orgasming through her nipples after taking a drug and she did not want that to happen. Her hunger finally got the better of her and she took a sip. It was heavenly. She quickly wolfed down all the soup proffered, deciding she didn’t care if she did cum from her nipples, the soup was amazing. In fact, the whole nipple thing might not be all bad, she thought.

“This is incredible!” Koemi exclaimed. “Where did you buy it?”

“I made it,” Nanami replied. “It’s nothing special, just Miso.”

“You made this?” Koemi was aghast. People who could cook things were like sorcerers to her. She could microwave something usually, but to cook something was magical. Koemi quickly devoured the rest of the soup and lay back, satisfied. “That was awesome!” She sighed. Nanami smiled gently at her and stood up, taking the empty bowl in her hands. “So, where am I?”

“Ah, yeah, sorry about that,” Nanami grinned sheepishly. “I didn’t know where you lived, and you were kind of out of it so I brought you back to my place to take care of you.”

“Your…so this is your house?” Koemi glanced around, trying desperately to find anything charming about the postage stamp-sized bedroom. She failed miserably.

“I know, it’s shitty. It’s all I can afford working at the restaurant,” Nanami scowled. The last thing she needed was to be reminded her apartment was a shithole.

“Restaurant…” Koemi mumbled to herself. Finally, realization dawned on her, and she smiled broadly. “You’re the waitress!” Nanami winked conspiratorially at her and nodded.

“Yes, indeed.”

“And you took care of me?” Koemi was moved by the woman’s generosity, and more than a little smitten by her good looks, body, and ability to summon magically cooked things from the kitchen.

“Ha, yeah,” Nanami giggled, shaking her head slightly, causing her hair to sway gently on her shoulders. “No need to thank me too much, you were asleep for most of it, so you weren’t a problem.”

“How long was I asleep?” Koemi ran her hands over her face, trying to force her brain to crawl out of the lethargy she was still suffering from.

“About 5 hours or so,” Nanami shrugged.

“Oh, no! It’s Valentine’s Day, too! I’m sorry if I ruined your date with your boyfriend!” Nanami waved Koemi’s concerns away airily.

“We broke up two weeks ago and he’s a fucking asshole anyway, so it’s no problem.” Yes! Koemi silently cheered.

“Hmm,” Koemi did her best to look as innocent as possible. “Well, would it be ok if I paid back your kindness?”

“How do you mean?” Nanami’s brow furrowed slightly and Koemi nearly squealed at how adorable it was.

“I was thinking the only polite thing to do would be to take you out to a decent Valentine’s Day dinner and maybe a drink. I mean, if that’s ok, that is.”

“Uh, you know it’s like 4 pm on Valentine’s Day, right? There’s no way you’d get a reservation for anything this late. Besides, you’re sick. I don’t think drinking is good for you.”

“Well, let me worry about dinner reservations and maybe we could just go back to my apartment after dinner for a drink of…juice…or something?” Koemi did her best to sound suave and quickly realized she was failing miserably, possibly even coming across as a bit creepy.

“I see,” Hanami muttered. “Well, you seem like an interesting person and I am kind of hungry so…sure, dinner is fine and possibly juice. Just possibly, though!”

“Really?” Koemi enthused, clapping her hands together excitedly. “That’s awesome! I’ll go home and get ready! Wear something nice! Oh! I need your phone number so I can call you later. Oh! And address so I can come get you later!”

“Heh, ok,” Nanami chuckled at the ball of energy Koemi had suddenly become. Who cared if she was a girl? A free dinner is a free dinner, right?

“You are sexy,” Koemi muttered to herself, staring at her immaculate reflection in the mirror in the back of the limousine she’d hired. “You are a sexy sexy bitch.”

“What was that, ma’am?” The driver asked from the front. Koemi sighed in irritation as she realized she’d forgotten to close the divider between her and the mindlessly enthusiastic driver.

“I said Tokyo is a sassy ditch,” Koemi reassured him.

“Ah…” the driver replied, the smile on his face only briefly faltering.

“I’m going to put the divider up, now, ‘k?” Koemi smiled sweetly, pressing the button, and raising the tinted window. “Sassy ditch?” Koemi shook her head, her long pink hair brushing against her back.” That’s the best I can come up with? Hell, I don’t owe anyone an explanation anyway! I am a sexy bitch!” The limo pulled up in front of Nanami’s apartment building and Koemi’s excited grin grew even wider as she saw the woman standing outside, a heavy coat draped around her shoulders to keep her warm in the shimmering dress she wore. Nanami glanced at the long black limo for a moment, cocking her eyebrow in distaste, before continuing to look for Koemi. Yes! Koemi thought to herself. Shock and awe! Shock and awe indeed!

Koemi waited impatiently as the limo stopped and the driver took a decade and a half to come around and open her door. Did he forget where the door was? Koemi asked herself, tapping her foot impatiently. Finally, the door swung open and Koemi stepped outside as dramatically as she could, dressed in a long, flowing sky-blue dress that hugged her curves in a way she felt did them justice.

I’d pay for Sachi-sized tits at this point, she thought. Her sister’s boobs weren’t excessively large but, compared to hers, they were positively beastly. Goddamn dancing took away my tits, she thought. Nanami looked like she could donate three quarters of her tits to science and still be bigger than Koemi. Jealousy and a white-hot desire to see those very breasts unfettered surged within her as she waved at Nanami.

“Uh…Koemi?” Nanami stared at her, a mix of surprise and suspicion in her fox-shaped eyes.

“Aww,” Koemi pouted, “you guessed.”

“A limo? Where’d you get that?”

“I broke into the yard, kidnapped the driver and made him pick us up, of course,” Koemi snorted, waving her hand dismissively. Nanami’s eyes narrowed suspiciously and she took a step backward. “Kidding! I’m kidding! I rented it! I have a receipt and everything, I promise!”

“Aren’t you just full of surprises,” Nanami grinned.

“Oh, I am! And you’ve seen nothing, yet! Shall we away in our majestic steed, milady?” Koemi gestured dramatically at the open door. Nanami curtsied and stepped into the spacious interior with Koemi following a moment later.

“This car is the size of my apartment,” Nanami wondered, staring around her at the bar, obnoxiously spacious television, DVD player and gaming system all lit by gentle blue led lighting. “Are you like some kind of Yakuza Queen or something?”

“Nope! I just wanted to surprise you! Did I?” Koemi was positively bouncing with excitement as the limo pulled away from the curb and into traffic.

“Oh, yeah, definitely surprised,” Nanami breathed. “I mean, I’ve never ridden in a limo before. Hell, before I moved to Tokyo, I’d never even seen a limo.”

“I noticed you have a bit of an accent,” Koemi caught her gaze drifting down to where Nanami’s creamy thighs emerged from her dark burgundy dress. Desperate to not be caught, she forced her eyes back to the woman’s pretty face. “Where are you from?”

“Ugh… the accent’s noticeable, huh?” Nanami groaned.

“No! I mean, not much! I’ve got a good ear and such so I’d notice quicker than others, probably,” Koemi rushed to dismiss Nanami’s obvious discomfort.

“Well, I’m from Tottori so I guess it’s only natural,” Nanami replied with a sigh. Koemi blinked at her blankly. What was Tottori? A place? She searched through her barely remembered high school geography courses and drew a complete blank.

“O-oh!” Koemi stumbled trying to not let the silence hang in the air too long. “So, it’s…nice there?”

“You have no idea where Tottori is, do you?” Nanami chuckled.

“Uh…Thailand?” Koemi gave up bluffing. “No. I have no idea where that is.”

“It’s ok, no one else knows where it is, either. If you ask 100 high school students to point out Tottori on a map, they wouldn’t be able to. Not even the students in Tottori most likely. It’s a mole on the ass cheek of Japan. The end of the world, as my niece calls it.”

“Ah, I see,” Koemi nodded her head. “I take it, then, you aren’t planning on going back for weekends with the folks, then?”

“Hah, no,” Nanami shook her head. “My parents left years ago for Kagoshima, only my sister’s still in Tottori. She’s too mean to leave.”

“Hey! My sister’s a cold, heartless beast, too!” Koemi enthused.

“We should get our sisters together in the same room for a cage match,” Nanami giggled. “Two siblings enter, one leaves!”

“We could charge for television rights and make a mint!”

“Great idea! Hell, I’d pay for that in a second!”

“Me, too!” Koemi enthused. Sachi would probably ruin her, though, Koemi mused. Sachi had evil and martial arts on her side. Plus, Sachi hated losing and if things looked grim, she’d probably call in an airstrike or something.

“So, since you, strangely, had enough time to organize a limousine I assume you’ve managed to buy yourself a minister or two and arrange dinner somewhere.”

“Oh, ministers are easy to buy. 200 yen, a promise to vote for them and some illicit photos of them and local wildlife can buy you at least four. Even without the minister I did manage to get us a pretty decent place to eat.”

“Where is this ‘pretty decent place,’ may I ask?” Nanami asked suspiciously. “It’s not the place I work is it?”

“Oh, no, I wouldn’t do that to you. It’s too cruel. It won’t be long before we’re there, but I don’t want to wreck the surprise, yet. A girl has to have at least some small measure of mystery or people get bored.”

“Like how a girl can afford a limousine to take a waitress she met that day out to a dinner on Valentine’s Day at the literal last minute? Isn’t that mysterious enough?”

“Hmm, you have a point, but I will not be dissuaded! I will keep my secret for the next…ten minutes, at least!” Koemi declared proudly.

“You are a cruel woman to keep a girl in suspense like this,” Nanami smiled. Koemi shrugged.

“It’s one of my better charm points.” Koemi grinned at her.

 

 

“The Tokyo Skytree?” Nanami stared at the spire jutting into the night sky in front of her, mouth agape in wonder. “Seriously? Who did you kill to nab a reservation at the Skytree on Valentine’s Day?”

“Do you like the restaurant at the Skytree?” Koemi asked, feeling smugger by the second.

“How in the hell should I know?” Nanami breathed. “An appetizer there’s what I make in a year.”

“Well, I’ve only eaten here once, and the food was tasty so I figured it might be fun.”

“Who are you?” Nanami turned her gaze to Koemi and scowled. “Are you Yakuza? I mean, you seem nice and all, but I really don’t need to be sucked into the underworld. I just cannot fit breaking kneecaps into my busy schedule.”

“I promise! I’m not Yakuza! Oh!” Koemi looked down at her watch. “We need to hurry, or we’ll be late!” The pair reached the elevator in decent time and before they knew it the doors had opened, and they were quickly whisked to their table. The lights of Tokyo spread out beyond the window, a million fireflies against the black tapestry of the mid-February night.

“I’m glad I’m not scared of heights,” Nanami mumbled, peeking through the window at the ground far below where they sat.

“Right? That would have been unfortunate,” Koemi agreed, opening the menu and glancing through it.

“I can’t even pronounce half of this stuff is,” Nanami scowled. “Poisson? Who would willingly order something they plainly have warned you is dangerous?” Koemi giggled.

“Well, at least they warn you, right? If they tell you and you still order it, I think you get what you deserve.”

“You have a decent point,” Nanami nodded. The waitress appeared as if by magic at the side of the table and Nanami jumped slightly at her sudden appearance.

“Good evening, Miss Tanaka,” the waitress bowed nearly perpendicular to the table and both Nanami and Koemi shrunk back slightly in alarm. “Can I get you something to drink to start out?”

“I have promised not to drink alcohol tonight so I will have a carafe of the Green Tea,” Koemi smiled at the woman.

“And for you, ma’am?” The waitress turned the full glare of her deep red lipstick on Nanami who looked for a moment like a deer caught in headlights.

“Juice?” Nanami mumbled.

“Very good, we have Sicilian Orange, Apple, Wine Grape and Appletiser.”

“Sicilian…orange?”

“Thank you, I’ll be right back with your drinks.” Like a wind on a summer day she was gone, leaving a slightly shell-shocked Nanami to stare after her.

“I need to learn that trick,” Nanami wondered. “How do you suppose she just appears like that?”

“She may be a vampire or something,” Koemi tapped her lips with her finger thoughtfully. “I hear they can turn to mist.”

“Maybe she’s like a new type of vampire who lives off Wine Grape juice or something.”

“A kinder, gentler vampire,” Koemi nodded in agreement. “A vampire for a new age.”

“An eco-friendly vegan vampire.”

“We could call them coffee shop vampires to differentiate them from your classic blood sucking ones.”

“I like it. She will be the-Wah!” As if summoned the waitress reappeared suddenly at their table with a tray.

“Your tea, Miss Tanaka. And the Sicilian Orange Juice for you, Miss. Are you ready to order or do you need more time?”

“I think I’m ready,” Koemi mused, glancing over the menu one last time.  “I’ll have the entrée froide, Nagasaki beef sirloin smoked truffle and wagyu sirloin and Neige. Go ahead and skip the petit four if you will, I’m not feeling it.”

                “As you wish,” the waitress’ hand barely seemed to move before she turned her attention to Nanami.

                “Uh…I’ll have the same thing,” Nanami said.

                “I’ll bring the appetizers very soon,” the waitress turned on a brilliant smile and was gone.

                “What, uh, did I just order?”

                “Don’t worry, it’s nothing nasty, I promise.” Koemi grinned, pouring herself a cup of tea from the carafe. “What do you think?”

                “I think I’m scared I’m going to get garden slugs with red sauce and bits of crabgrass on the side,” Nanami shook her head. “I should have read the menu more carefully. Or, you know, at all.”

                “Nah, no garden slugs. The crabgrass, though, is wholly optional. You don’t have to eat it if you don’t want to.”

                “This is amazing,” Nanami breathed, turning her gaze back to the bank of windows staring out over the city. “Kind of overwhelming, really.”

                “I know what you mean,” Koemi turned her eyes to the city spread out around them. “I’ve seen a lot of places but there’s nowhere quite like Tokyo.”

                “Excuse me,” a small voice came from behind them. They turned to find a girl no older than probably twelve standing nervously at the table, shifting slightly from foot to foot. “Are you Koemi?”

                “That I am!” Koemi grinned.

                “Oh my God! No way!” the girl breathed excitedly.

                “Yes, way, indeed!” Koemi smiled, taking the girl’s hand in greeting.

                “I knew it! I’m sorry for interrupting, but can I get your autograph?”

                “Sure, what’s your name, honey?”

                “Akari!” The girl straightened proudly.

                “Ah! I know another Akari, too!”

                “I knowwwww!” The girl squealed softly, barely containing her glee.

                “You’re the prettier Akari, though,” Koemi winked at her conspiratorially. “But don’t tell her I said that!”

                “No way! Akari is…Akari!” Koemi chuckled as she signed the paper the girl had given her.

                “Don’t sell yourself short!” Koemi handed back the paper and pen.

                “No one at school is going to believe this! This is incredible!” The young girl stared at the paper in her hand as if afraid it would vanish into thin air.

                “Well, do you have a phone?” Koemi asked. The girl nodded her head enthusiastically. “How about we take a selfie, then? You’ll have irrefutable proof!”

                “No way!” the girl repeatedly, looking like she may hyperventilate. “Really?”

                “Sure!” Koemi grinned. Koemi threw up a peace sign as she moved her head in next to the girl’s. The girl took the picture and, bowing and thanking Koemi over and over retreated from the table.

                “Ok, seriously. I get the mysterious bit and normally I respect that sort of thing, but you can’t keep me in the dark anymore. Who in the hell are you?” Nanami hissed.

                “I’m in Kunoichi,” Koemi sighed.

                “You’re a ninja?” Nanami cocked her head to the side. Koemi nearly spit her tea out as she laughed. Finally regaining her composure and managing to swallow her tea she shook her head.

                “No, not yet anyway. It’s a band.” Koemi shrugged.

                “So, you’re a musician?”

                “Well, I play the piano, so I guess I am, sort of. I’m more like a singer and dancer,” Koemi shrugged. “Akari’s more the actual musician.”

                “So, you’re like an idol or something?” Nanami asked.

                “Yeah,” Koemi nodded. “Something like that.”

                “That’s kind of cool. I’ve seen anime about them,” Nanami nodded. “You’re famous and stuff, then?”

                “Obviously not that famous since you’ve never heard of me,” Koemi pouted at her.

                “Oh, never judge anything by whether I’ve heard of it or not. I’m oblivious to things,” Nanami waved her hand dismissively. “Still, I’ve never met anyone famous before. That’s kind of cool. I’ll have to tell Kasumi I met an idol. She’ll love it. Not to mention being an idol’s better than being Yakuza.”

                “Fewer tattoos, too,” Koemi nodded as the waitress reappeared once more as if summoned from the ether and dropped off two plates with a small disk of what appeared to be pudding with lemon rinds attached in the center of each.

                “It’s…” Nanami trailed off, trying to figure out how best to describe it. “Small.” She finished.

                “Yeah,” Koemi prodded hers with her spoon and delighted in the ripple the spoon created. “I guess…itadakimasu!” With a single deft motion Koemi scooped the pudding up and popped it into her mouth, chewing delicately before swallowing. “Whew!” Koemi leaned back sighed dramatically. “Well, I’m full. How about you?”

                “Stuffed!” Nanami agreed, running her hand over her belly dramatically. “I can’t eat another bite.”

                “Almost seems a waste to use a whole plate for it,” Koemi stared down at the plate sadly.

                “Well, fancy food requires a lot of plates, you know,” Nanami shrugged. “It makes you feel like you’ve eaten a lot when you see the lines of plates.”

                “Ah, the psychology of fanciness,” Koemi nodded her head in agreement. “I see, I see.”

                “So, you just sing and dance and stuff?”

                “In a nutshell,” Koemi shrugged. “I mean, we’re given a lot more freedom than some groups thanks to our management, so we write and produce our own songs. I say we but I don’t do much. Akari does most of the writing and my sister does the producing. I do some of the choreography and write some of the keyboard sections but that’s about it.”

                “I’ve always been fascinated by creative people,” Nanami admitted. “I’m just an uneducated slave to the food-going masses.”

                “Oh, I wouldn’t say that. What you do is far harder than what I do. You put up with some real jackholes every day. You have to remember things I could never hope to and you are constantly on your feet. I admire what you do, even if the others in the food-going masses don’t.”

                “I see you are a woman of culture,” Nanami blushed at the compliments. “Are you trying to charm me, madam?”

                “That depends,” Koemi shrugged.

                “Depends on what?”

                “Whether or not it’s working.”

                “Well, you’re not the only one who can be mysterious,” Nanami grinned.

                “Oh, you are a sly one!” Koemi laughed. “Well played!”

                “Your entrée froide,” The waitress reappeared again and set the plates in front of them, whisking the others away. “Is everything acceptable thus far?”

                “Yes, thank you,” Koemi nodded. The waitress bowed low one more time and disappeared. “I hope you like fish.”

                “Oh! Fish! Yeah.” Nanami exclaimed, looking less suspicious. “Is that a prawn?”

                “Ummm… yes, yes it is,” Koemi poked at the curled pink item on her plate.

                “It’s…staring at me,” Nanami peered closely at it.

                “Don’t give in!” Koemi cheered her on. “It’s trying to guilt trip you! Don’t let it play prawn mind games with you. You have to show dominance.”

                “How am I supposed to do that?”

                “I have no idea. Just pretend you’re a dog?”

                “What am I supposed to do? Hump it?” Koemi had to put a hand over her mouth quickly to stifle a laugh.

                “You’d better not! You’re my date tonight! Let the prawn get its own date.” Koemi finally managed.

                “How presumptuous the madam is!” Nanami affected a disapproving stare. “Besides, this prawn’s dating days are well behind it, I think.” Koemi picked the prawn off her plate and placed it carefully beside Nanami’s.

                “There, even the prawns are getting into the Valentine’s Day spirit.”

                “Aww, aren’t they adorable? They’re…hugging. Damn that’s creepy. I mean…really creepy. But adorable. Prawn love.”

                “Now that prawn can keep it’s beady black eyes on its own date and stop eyeballing mine.”

                “Agreed. Besides, they look like they’re getting on well.” Nanami picked up a piece of fish and brought it to her lips.

                “What about us?” Koemi asked slyly. “Do we look like we’re getting on well?”

                “Hmm,” Nanami chewed the fish thoughtfully. “Yes. I think it looks like we’re getting on pretty well.”

 

                “That was delicious,” Nanami sighed as they exited the elevator onto the upper observation deck of the Skytree.

                “It was,” Koemi walked beside the taller woman as they made their way to the windows overlooking Tokyo. “Not a lot there, though.”

                “The price you pay for fanciness,” Nanami shrugged, leaning on the railing. “But it was the best Valentine’s Date I’ve ever had.”

                “Same,” Koemi said, looking toward the black void of Tokyo Harbor.

                “Everything looks so small and so vast at the same time,” Nanami breathed, staring with eyes reflecting the shimmering glow of Tokyo over the vista before her.

                “Like we’re the only people on earth.”

                “Yeah, it does,” Nanami agreed with a nod.

                “Why did you come to Tokyo?” Koemi glanced over at Nanami.

                “I had to get away from Tottori. Everything’s so stodgy and conservative and petty there. You’re pigeonholed into a life you can’t ever break out of if you don’t leave young. Railroaded into being something you never wanted. For some people, like my sister, it suits them fine. For others, like me, it’s a nightmare. So…rather than do what I was told I did what I wanted, no matter how much it pissed everyone else off.”

                “Huh,” Koemi chuckled mirthlessly. “I know that feeling.”

                “I take it your parents weren’t keen on you becoming an idol?”

                “That’s putting it lightly. Honestly, the only reason I could was because of my sister. Sachi kind of took the hits for me. My dad wanted us to become lawyers like him. Sachi made a deal with him where she’d graduate top in her class and I got to do what I wanted.”

                “Sounds like she took one for the team,” Nanami scowled. “I thought you said your sister was in the band with you, though.”

                “Ah, that’s where Sachi out lawyered the lawyer,” Koemi grinned. “She graduated top of her class, passed her bar exam, became a lawyer, then quit the next week to join Kunoichi.”

                “Wow, got out on a technicality. Impressive.”

                “Oh, he was so pissed! I thought he was going to stroke out right there. I was in a different band at the time and only heard about it when I got back from the tour I was on, but he was raging for like two days straight.”

                “But you’re in the same band, now?”

                “Yeah, some crap went down with one of our other bandmates awhile ago and I finagled my way in. Sachi was…not pleased. But things are good, now. But I get what you mean by being pigeonholed. Like you’ll drown if you don’t break free.”

                “Exactly!” Nanami nodded. “It’s not been easy. I have a shitty apartment, a shitty job, and a string of shitty exes for my troubles. But, every day with my shittiness is better than one second living with other people’s imposed on me. I may make every wrong decision known to man and then some, but at least they’re mine.”

                “What about now?” Koemi asked, shooting her an appraising look.

                “How do you mean?”

                “Do you regret this decision?”

                “Not yet,” Nanami smiled.

                “So, do you want to press our luck with juice at my apartment?”

                “Why not?” Nanami grinned.

“Excellent!” Koemi chuckled, taking her hand, and leading her back to the elevator.

                “Man did I get into the wrong business,” Nanami muttered as Koemi flicked the lights to her apartment on. “I think this apartment may be bigger than Tottori. Do you live here by yourself?”

                “I have a cat, but he’s an asshole and is probably taking a crap in my guest bathtub as retaliation for me going out. Would you like white grape, apple or non-Sicilian orange?”

                “I think I’ll be having the white grape this evening,” Nanami replied, sitting down heavily on the plush couch overlooking Tokyo Bay and letting out a long sigh.

                “Excellent choice, madam, the white grape is a very good week,” Koemi filled two glasses before putting the bottles in her woefully empty refrigerator.

                Koemi kicked off her shoes and handed Nanami a crystal wine glass filled with grape juice before sitting next to her on the couch. Nanami thought for a moment before kicking off her shoes as well, sighing with gratitude as she clenched her toes in the deep pile of the area rug.

                “Oh my god that is so good,” Nanami groaned, not realizing how tired her feet were.

                “Right? It’s some kind of rug my sister recommended to me. It’s supposed to help with tired feet and legs. I don’t know whether it’s a feature designed in or not, but it does help,” Koemi gripped her own toes in the carpet and sighed again.

                “I bet you have the same problem when you get home with your legs and feet aching since you dance all day,” Nanami repositioned herself slightly so she was facing Koemi. Koemi shifted slightly in answer and the two quickly found themselves face to face.

                “Honestly, I think your job is probably harder than mine. I’m usually moving around whereas you have to stop and start and probably find yourself standing in one place more often. That seems harder to me. It’s like retail, that’s gotta be awful,” Koemi shook her head in sympathy and sipped her juice.

                “You’re not wrong,” Nanami shook her head. “When I first moved to Tokyo and still had hopes of going to college, I got a job at a convenience store. The manager was a total asschimp and took the stool away since it ‘gave the wrong impression to customers.’”

                “Fuck that guy,” Koemi shook her head.

                “A friend of mine did just that and he got her pregnant then fired her!” Nanami growled angrily.

                “What? I would have beat his ass,” Koemi clenched her fist. “A quick upper cut! One-two!” Koemi jabbed her fist awkwardly at the back of the couch. Unlike Sachi, Koemi never had any interest in martial arts, it all seemed too tiresome to bother with.

                “Well, that sort of thing happens a lot,” Nanami shook her head. “Some of it might be mutual, but so many times it’s simply someone taking advantage of their position to drag some hapless girl into doing things she wouldn’t usually do.”

                “It happens more often than I care to even imagine in entertainment,” Koemi nodded. “These managers and executives and producers prey on young girls who want desperately to get noticed. They just want to get a toe in the door and so they do whatever these sleazy fucks say and then get tossed aside or, worse yet, strung along for years with a bone thrown here and there to keep them dangling.”

                “Did that happen to you?” Nanami asked.

                “Me? No, I was lucky. My dad had a lot of high-power contacts and he got me a couple of auditions with some reputable agents and I slipped into things pretty easily. But I’ve heard and seen so many horror stories I would have to say the rate of that crap happening is probably 70%. Some girls keep at it and make some headway, some fall by the wayside, others get ground up and tossed out and, a few lucky ones hit it big.”

                “I take it you hit it big, then?”

                “For now,” Koemi sighed, looking around at the apartment. “But the shelf-life of someone like me is measured in months sometimes. I’m one bad album or mental lapse or broken bone from being ground up and tossed out. Even with my management team. No one has a use for a dancer and singer that makes them no money.” Koemi chuckled. “Even if I don’t screw up, I won’t last into my thirties. It’s all ephemeral in this industry. We’re just pretty shadows waiting for the sun to move a bit and swallow us whole.”

                “What’ll you do if it all vanishes?”

                “Well, it’s more when rather than if but, honestly, I have no idea,” Koemi shrugged. “I’m lucky since Sachi is a genius when it comes to money and stuff and has been taking care of my finances since I first broke in, so I have a ton of money and investments and property and stuff available. Maybe I’ll go into management or something in the industry. Something where I can help these girls, so they don’t get taken advantage of.”

                “Oh, so you have no thought of taking advantage of me?” Nanami teased. “Inviting me out in a limo and to a fancy restaurant then taking me back to your spacious apartment on the two thousandth floor and plying me with grape juice: I’m wise to you entertainment types!”

                “You wound me, madam!” Koemi gasped in mock horror. “My intentions are pure as the snows of Mt. Fuji itself!”

                “You know the snows of Fuji are dirty as shit, right?” Nanami smirked at her. Koemi laughed and ran her hand through her hair. “By the way, is pink your natural hair color?”

                “Obviously,” Koemi lifted her hair and let it fall on her shoulders dramatically. “My mom ate easter egg dye three times a day when she was pregnant with me and Voila! Pink hair.”

                “Amazing!”

                “Right? So what about you?” Koemi shifted a bit more so she was sitting cross-legged on the couch beside Nanami.

                “No, my mom was allergic to easter egg dye.”

                “Not that! Why don’t you go to college?”

                “At my age? Shit, I’m going to be 30 this year. Even if I wasn’t, I still don’t have the money for that sort of thing. It’s expensive!”

                “Well, if you had gone to college what did you want to do?” Koemi took a sip of her juice, forcing her eyes to stay on Nanami’s face and not drift downward as the older woman adjusted herself to sit cross-legged as well. Must. Not. Look. Down. Koemi repeated like a mantra.

                “If you laugh, I will harm you,” Nanami warned her sternly.

                “I’d never laugh!” Koemi held her hands up defensively.

                “I wanted to be a vet,” Nanami mumbled.

                “Why would I laugh at that?” Koemi cocked her head to the side.

                “Doesn’t every little girl want to be a vet? It’s so cliched.”

                “I wanted to be a unicorn,” Koemi shrugged. “I think a vet’s more realistic.” Nanami giggled.

                “A unicorn?”

                “You laughed at me!” Koemi fell backward, holding her glass with one hand, the other clutching at her heart in mock agony. “I have been mocked!” Nanami smacked her lightly on the knee.

                “It’s not like that! I’m just not sure how that would be an option. Even if it were, what would you even do as a unicorn?”

                “I have no idea…unicorn things? Even as a kid I had no skill in forward thinking. I figured I’d just turn into a unicorn and people would be all ‘Ooooh! Koemi’s a unicorn! How pretty!’. You know…then I’d do stuff and be praised all the time since I was a unicorn. I mean, honestly, if you’re a unicorn people have no choice but to praise you because you’re a mythical creature. It goes hand in hand.” Koemi pulled herself upright and took another drink of her juice.

                “How’d you do that?” Nanami demanded, scowling.

                “Eh? Do what?”

                “Pull yourself up without using your hands or legs?” Koemi glanced down, confused.

                “My stomach? I guess? I don’t know.”

                “You must have insane stomach muscles. I’d pull every muscle in my body if I tried. Can I touch it?”

                “Uh, sure,” Koemi replied. Nanami reached a hand out and pressed it against Koemi’s belly, moving it across the taut muscles beneath the dress. “Ahahahaha!” Koemi laughed.

                “Are you ticklish?” Nanami grinned at her deviously.

                “No!” Koemi protested weakly. Nanami’s hand moved to her side and Koemi jerked upright. “Ahahahaha!”

                “I’ll have to keep that in mind,” Nanami giggled. “I want your muscles.”

                “I don’t think they’d fit you,” Koemi shook her head, wiping a tear from her eyes.

                “Teach me your exercise ways, sensei!” Nanami pleaded.

                “Very well, my student. I shall guide you on the true path,” Koemi smiled. “I need to use the bathroom. I’ll be right back. Feel free to look around!”

                “Ok! Cool!” Nanami smiled.

 

                “Either you or someone else had better be dead, Koemi, I swear to fuck,” the voice on the other side of the phone growled. “Since you’re calling it’s not you, so who’s dead?”

                “I have a girl here,” Koemi whispered.

                “What? What are you even talking about?”

                “I don’t want to screw this up. You have to help me, Sachi!” Koemi pleaded, sitting on the toilet nervously.

                “Is this girl a real person? It’s not like that time with the blow-up doll is it?”

                “Of course, she’s real. Jesus, it was one time, and I was drunk. How do you even remember that shit?”

                “’I want to marry her, Sacchan! She’s the only one who will ever understand me! Her name is Aoi-chan bubble butt and we’re in love!’” Sachi mocked her. Sachi’s voice moved away from the phone for a second as she spoke to someone else. “Oh, it’s Koemi, she’s got another blow up doll situation. Ow! Why’d you hit me?”

                “Don’t let Sachi be mean to you, Koemi!” Akari called from the background.

                “Thanks, Akari. I told you already, it’s a real person, this time. I need your help. I’m in uncharted waters, here. What do I do?”

                “Why in the fuck are you asking me? Yuki’s better at that stuff than I’ll ever be. Call her.”

                “She’s not answering. I think she and Mari are… slippery.” Koemi whispered.

                “Ugh. Fucking gross. Why do you use that word? But it is Valentine’s Day. If you catch my drift. Valentine’s Day…” Sachi trailed off meaningfully.

                “I know! Look, how do I make her like me without coming across as creepy. Tell me that and I’ll leave you alone to do…whatever you do.”

                “How should I know? Ok…fine. I have a few minutes before Akari and I are going on the harbor tour. I’ll humor you. When’d you meet her?”

                “Today.”

                “Eeeh?”

                “I got a fever, and she was the waitress who took me to her apartment and nursed me back to health. All of which you’d know if you ever answered your phone or listened to the messages I left,” Koemi hissed.

                “Don’t get snippy with me, missy. I had shit to do,” Sachi snarled. “Anyway, so she’s a waitress you met today and now she’s in your apartment…do you need help? Are you being kidnapped? Say Squeeze Cheez if you are and I’ll send security. Probably.”

                “This is serious! I took her out to dinner, and we came back here and we’re having an amazing time. Well, I am, anyway. Fuck, what if she’s not having fun? Goddammit, now I’m scared. Anyway, though, I have no idea what to do now! Help me! Quick! She’s going to think I’m constipated or something I’ve been gone so long. I need advice, goddammit!”

                “Wait…are you on the toilet?” Sachi sniggered.

                “Just help me!”

                “Akari! Koemi’s calling me from the pot! What the fuck? Who does that? Ow! Why’d you hit me again?”

                “Hi, Koemi, this is Akari. What do you need help with?” Akari had obviously wrestled the phone away.

                “I have a girl that I like and she’s in my apartment and I don’t want to screw it up and need advice.”

                “I don’t think you need any advice,” Akari said in her soothing voice. “She’s there because she wants to be there. She is there willingly, right?”

                “What? Of course, she is!” Koemi stammered.

                “Ok, then. You’ve gotten this far. Act natural and let the rest of the night flow the way it should. You’re a lovely woman with brains, looks and charm. Be yourself and it’ll work out. I promise.”

                “Really?” Koemi smiled gratefully.

                “Really. Now go be you, tiger,” Akari replied.

                “Thanks, Akari.” Koemi felt her confidence grow and her smile with it. “Have a good night.”

                “Oh, I plan on it! You, too, Koemi.”

                “You shouldn’t lie to her, Akari,” Sachi teased from the background. “Ow! Shit!”

                “You’ve got this!” Akari enthused before hanging up. Koemi scowled. Damn Sachi. Jerk.

                “I’m sorry about that!” Koemi bowed slightly in apology as she re-emerged from the bathroom.

                “Oh, it’s ok!” Nanami smiled. “I was just enjoying the view. It’s incredible up here.” Koemi walked over to stand next to her.

                “It’s my favorite thing about this place,” Koemi nodded. “Well, that and the jacuzzi tub.”

                “You have a jacuzzi tub, too?” Nanami sighed. “I totally should have paid more attention in choir.” Nanami lowered her head and fidgeted with her glass for a moment, looking pensive.

                “Is everything ok?” Koemi asked. “Was it because I was gone so long? I’m so sorry about that. But I swear it’s not what you think!”

                “I’m not sure what to think,” Nanami finally said, her voice low and halting.

                “About what?”

                “This…you…us…everything,” Nanami shrugged. “If you were a guy, I know precisely what you’d be expecting right now. I mean, limo and fancy restaurant and the flowers you sent to my apartment before you picked me up and now this apartment and everything. It’d be pretty obvious what you’d be after.”

                “I see,” Koemi nodded. “Yeah, I can see that, I guess.”

                “But you’re not a guy,” Nanami glanced at her sharply. “You’re not are you?” Koemi choked on her juice for a moment before shaking her head.

                “Uh, no, I’m not a guy,” Koemi assured her. “At least not the last time I checked.”

                “I don’t want to sound ungrateful or anything, but what is happening here?”

                “I, honestly, don’t know,” Koemi admitted. She glanced over at Nanami’s face and found her looking back. Be myself. Be myself. Be myself. Koemi said over and over again. Ok. I can do that. I will do that! She steeled her courage and turned to face Nanami directly, steeling herself.

 “I don’t expect anything,” Koemi said. “I didn’t do any of this because I wanted something from you. At first, I just wanted to thank you. I mean, yeah, you’re gorgeous, but I had no hidden agenda.”

“And now?” Nanami prompted.

“Well, tonight has been so much fun. I mean, you are amazing, and you made me feel amazing being with you. I don’t expect anything from you, like I said. You don’t owe me anything. I did it because I wanted to and if you want to leave right now or whenever, I don’t blame you!”

“Do you want me to leave?” Nanami asked.

“No!” Koemi grabbed her hand out of reflex. “I really, really don’t want you to go!”

“Then what do you want?” Koemi swallowed nervously.

“I want to kiss you,” the words were out before Koemi could stop them and she felt her face flush in embarrassment. She winced and closed her eyes, waiting for the inevitable tongue-lashing. Maybe she’d get slapped. Or go to the press. No, she didn’t seem the type to do that, but a slap wasn’t out of the question. When Nanami neither said anything nor hit her, Koemi opened her eyes nervously.

“Welcome back,” Nanami grinned.

“Th-thank you,” Koemi mumbled.

“I’ve never kissed a girl before,” Nanami finally said.

“M-Me either,” Koemi admitted. “Not a real one, anyway.”

“I’ve also never thought about a girl in a way that would make me want to kiss them,” Nanami continued, thankfully ignoring what Koemi had said. Still, though, the way the conversation was going did not bode well. “But I’ve never met someone like you before. I…I wouldn’t mind kissing you. Just to try it out, you understand.”

“Really?” Koemi asked, trying to figure out if she was kidding or not. Nanami nodded. Her heart felt like it was going to burst from her chest as she drew closer to Nanami. Please don’t let me miss her lips and kiss her nose or something, Koemi silently prayed to whatever god had jurisdiction over this sort of thing.

Koemi gently placed her hands gently on Nanami’s shoulders, sliding them around to gently cradle the back of her head as she moved closer. Koemi let her gaze drift between Nanami’s lips and slightly lidded eyes before closing the last few millimeters and pressing her lips against Nanami’s gently.

A shock like a spark coursed through her body as she felt Nanami’s soft lips against hers and her eyes closed in rapture. It was like every nerve in her body was hypersensitive. She felt the warm air from the heater blowing on the skin of her arms, the soft weight of Nanami’s thick black hair against her hands, the gentle pressure of their breasts pressing together, the feel of Nanami’s dress swirling against her leg. The kiss lengthened and deepened, until their lips parted slightly, and their tongues slipped about each other, causing whole new sparks to course down her body and settle in her belly in a knot of excitement, nervousness, and desire. 

                The kiss seemed to both last forever and not nearly long enough as their lips finally parted, leaving both of them panting slightly. Koemi let her head drift forward slightly, her eyes staying closed, her arms around over Nanami’s shoulders still. Nanami bent her own head forward until their foreheads touched, her arms wrapping around Koemi’s waist and clasping behind her.

                “Wow,” Nanami whispered. “That was…not at all what I expected it to be.”

                “In a good way?” Koemi’s heartbeat thudded in her ears.

                “I think so, yeah. Good enough to make me want to try it again, definitely.”

                “I’d like that, too,” Koemi mumbled, before Nanami’s lips pressed against hers again, their tongues brushing over each other’s, exploringly. Once again, the kiss lengthened and deepened until they were both breathless.

                Koemi felt Nanami’s hands tighten against her back and pull her closer. Koemi’s hands slid through Nanami’s hair gently, brushing over the nape of her neck. The knot in her belly seemed to grow warmer and hotter, like her insides were on fire. Everywhere Nanami touched left traces of heat that spread outward like a brush fire through her skin. Finally, the kiss ended reluctantly and the clung to each other, the heat from Nanami’s body encasing her in its warmth.

                “Yes,” Nanami finally breathed. “I definitely like it. A lot.”

                “I do, too,” Koemi whispered. “But what happens now?”

                “Well, it’s still Valentine’s Day so we can figure it out together, I think.”

                “I…I don’t really want a one-night kind of thing,” Koemi muttered. “I don’t think my heart could handle it.”

                “Huh, that’s probably the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me,” Nanami’s smile was warm and gentle and Koemi felt she could easily get lost in it. “In that case I better get busy, then.”

                “Get busy?” Koemi cocked her head to the side quizzically.

                “Yeah, I have to figure out what I’m going to do for you on White Day.”

               

               

             

3