Chapter 1: Klay
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Klay stared at the hanged corpse of his friend as the strong winds that swept through Rocksted barony's grassy hills swung it against a crownless tree. He could smell the urine and excrement that leaked from the man in his final moments. The rosy tinge of scattered clouds that dominated the sky signalled the approach of dusk and brought with it a slight chill that pricked one's exposed skin.

 

"Denil, you ditz," he muttered, "why'd you have to go and kill a man."

 

"Can't really blame him, I'd say," said a young man of the same age who stood beside Klay.

 

"Come on, Ed," said Klay as he began to climb the tree, "can you really say it was worth it?"

 

"Nope, not worth it. But I understand why he did it."

 

"And would you have killed the merchant too?"

 

Perched on a large branch, Klay cut the rope from which his friend hung. The corpse fell with a thud.

 

"Not sure. I've never seen another man on top of my woman before."

 

"You don't have a woman."

 

"Exactly."

 

Klay grunted. "I guess I'm the stupid one for asking," he said.

 

They hauled their friend's remains to an open pit beside the tree and threw it down. A silent stare. A memory of a face and a passionate man. Those were all they could give Denil. Then they took their shovels and covered him with dirt six-feet deep. He was not the first friend they had to bury. Every monster wave, every call to battle, every time the baron needed meat shields, they lost one of their childhood friends—what was a clique of seven children who enjoyed herb gathering was down to two young men who were now masters at burying their friends.

 

"The lord baron would let us keep a bit more grain after all this work I reckon?" said Klay.

 

"I don't know about that, Klay," said Ed, "he's not really known for his generosity, is he?"

 

"Well, I can remember a few times when he let us keep more grain a bit more than usual."

 

"Let's hope it happens, my friend. Let's hope it happens."

 

Well, Klay definitely hoped so. He's been saving up to buy a good pair of swine just like what her dear Rose asked him to. They planned to breed and sell pigs—then maybe open a butcher shop in the future—probably get married sometime between the shop and the pigs.

Clothed in worn tunics and mud-splattered wool trousers, the two young men trudged back to the farmstead in the village. To their homes.

 

Klay was the younger of the two men by a few months but the gap looked more than that because he did not grow much facial hair. He had dark brown hair and brown eyes, a not so prominent hooked nose, and a stubble that never turned into a full beard. Tall for someone as malnourished as he was, he towered above his friend by about a full head.

 

Ed, on the other hand, was stockier compared to the usual peasants. He had a well-defined jawline with a complete bush of a beard. His green eyes were deep-set and his eyebrows would have given him a fearsome look if he didn't always wear a smile.

 

Dewdrops wet the hillside grasses and soaked their legs up to the knees. Darkness swallowed the land slowly like a snake savouring its prey as Klay saw the baron's [Soldiers] march out of their barracks. They made their way towards the edges of the wilderness and some took position on sentry towers inside and outside the village walls.

 

Howls of distant wolves caused the two peasants to hasten their pace. They glanced at each other and at the shadowy parts of the grassland and its edges, wary of the danger known to lurk in the darkness of the neighbouring forest.

 

"Remind me again why we didn't take him down sooner?" said Ed.

 

"Cuz the baron said so, Ed," said Klay, "If only we were born into a [Soldier]'s family, we wouldn't be this scared every time the sun sets. Then again you were actually born in a better—uh—" Klay glanced at Ed and stopped what he was saying. He continued, "Hmm...but I think they're just as scared Ed. Look at them."

 

"Those are greenhorns. The veterans like Welland over there—see, look at him—he's more alert than afraid."

 

"Yeah, I wish I knew how to use a sword like them. Even if I don't earn the class."

 

"I don't know about that, Klay. I think you're too dumb to handle a sword. You might cut yourself before your enemy even attacks!" Ed laughed.

 

"Heh! As if you're such a magus yourself! Remember how we first met? You couldn't even properly butcher the chicken for—"

 

"Stop! Don't remind me of that humiliation please. We're almost at the gate. Let's run for it!"

 

The guards recognized both men as they ran towards the gatehouse. They were not searched or stopped as they jogged past the guards.

 

"I don't want to do that again, ever," said Ed.

 

"That's not really for us to decide now, is it?" said Klay.

 

"Sod it man, I might buy a sword of my own and bring it next time at least."

 

"Yeah, that might be a good idea—except you really don't know how to use one."

 

"How can it be that hard to learn? You either stab or slash at whatever is trying to eat you. End of story."

 

"It's never that easy, Klay. Trust me."

"I guess you'd know huh? Well, let's go sit down somewhere, my feet are killing me."

 

They walked towards a cruck house beside an oak tree a good two hundred yards away from the gate. There, they sat down—catching their breath—on a rock beside Klay's abode. Bugs and frogs abound on the grassy ground and an entire field of corn lay in front of a long row of houses where the peasants who worked on the baron's field lived. Up on a hill to the east stood a small castle with a moat, an outer wall of its own, and an inner wall. In the middle was a three-story keep made of bricks.

 

The day's work at the fields was already finished. The wide expanse of farmland was void of people as candlelight filled the houses beside it. Silhouettes of bats and nocturnal birds flew back and forth against a backdrop of fading sunlight and two dominating moons. The clouds were sparse and stars shone with vigor as if they competed with the planet's companions—which made it easy to walk at night even without a torch in hand.

 

Both Klay and Ed sat in silence. The well in the middle of the field beckoned to their thirsty throats but their tired bodies kept them sitting on the rock to cool off. A cold breeze coming from a wall of mountains to the north mercifully touched the sweat-drenched men as they swatted mosquitoes that tried to suck blood from them as they rested.

 

A couple of patrolling [Soldiers] who were chatting leisurely to each other strolled on the path in front of them.

 

"... forward to that expedition myself," said one of the [Soldiers]—the first part inaudible, "We might gain a few levels if we get lucky. Imagine the shock on the Rogarians' faces when they realize we're all at least level 20 by the time we face them again on the battlefield next year."

 

"We might not have to face each other again on that annual farce if both barons are called to assist in that war in the north," said the other [Soldier].

 

"Half of us would die if that happens. I heard there were mo..." the [Soldiers] walked out of earshot.

 

"Hey Ed," said Klay, "Did you hear that?"

 

"Hear what?" said Ed.

 

"The war in the north. If the baron is to be summoned to assist there then we might get conscripted."

 

"Isn't that bad? We might die there! Why do you look so happy?"

 

"We can become [Soldiers] too if they conscript us, bird brain! That might be our chance to get out of this miserable peasant life."

 

"We would become [Soldiers] but we'd be sent to die there anyway. What's the point?"

 

"Come on, Ed. Why are you so sure that you're going to die? We can probably be appointed to the kitchen or the clean-up crew after a few days of training to become [Soldiers]."

 

"No Klay, they would rather lose new recruits than those who already have experience and higher levels in the class—we'd be fireball fodder."

 

Klay slapped his forehead. "The [Mages]! Oh I forgot about the [Mages].You're right, We're dead if we get conscripted."

 

"Let's just hope it never happens." Ed looked up at the sky.

 

Two full moons rose to replace the sun. Althea, azure and bright. Some people said that it was made of sapphire while some said it was made of a frozen sea. Ed just thought it was pretty. While the other moon, Ririka, was crimson. It was smaller than its sister and exuded a foreboding menace when it showed its full luminance to the world. Around the moons swirled a cloud of energy—and like a floating river, it connected the two satellites to planet Arnea.

 

Ed admired both celestial bodies and buried his fear of their possible conscription at the back of his mind. He thought of his mother, who taught him everything he knew about the moons, and of the days of his childhood—back when he was not yet a part of the peasantry. Back when he could eat meat every day if he wanted. Back when his father told him to practice the sword for it was—

"Hey Klay, will you be willing to risk it all though? If you have a chance to be something more than just ... you know ... something more than what we are—are you willing to risk your life?"

"Uhh ... maybe not really Ed—why? Unless they really start conscripting peasants to the military soon, I don't see any chance at all."

"You're right. What am I thinking? I'd rather be poor than dead."

"We can just take up some craft or start breeding animals."

Ed nodded and sighed.

"I just hope I can get my mother a bit more comfort in her old age."

 

"Alright, whatever it is you’re thinking Ed. Just don't get yourself killed."

"Don't worry about me, Klay."

Ed stood up and dusted himself off.

"I'll head home and get some early sleep."

"Suit yourself. I myself will visit Rose's and try to get a free dinner."

"See you tomorrow-I hope."

Klay watched his friend walk away and vanish into a darker portion of the village. Then he also stood up and walked further into the part where better lit houses beside the cornfield stood. Families were already inside their homes. They were either cooking or already eating dinner based on the smell of burnt charcoal and boiling gruel in the air. Klay felt a pang of sadness as he thought about his parents but pushed it away by reminding himself that he could build a family of his own with Rose soon. Hopeful and determined, he quickened his pace towards his lover's house.

He stopped in front of a cruck house that was twice as big as his. There were chickens inside wooden enclosures beside it and an orange cat greeted him with a loud meow in front of the door. He knocked twice. After a moment, the door opened and he was greeted with the not too ecstatic face of Rose's father.

"Klay," the old man said, "we weren't expecting you tonight."

"Oh! I was just wondering if I could talk to Rose for a bit?"

"You mean you want to eat for free again."

"Well—I admit I was looking forward to that too but no, the real reason is I just really wanted to see your daughter."

The old man sighed and called his daugher—but he still didn't let Klay come in.

Klay peaked through the door and looked at the candlelit dining room and saw Rose approach. He didn't like the guilty look on her face.

"Hey Klay, maybe we can talk tomorrow? At the fields? We are expecting a visitor tonight and he might not be happy to see you here."

"Visitor? Who?

"I'll explain tomorrow but right now isn't really—"

Klay felt someone tap his right shoulder. He looked back and saw a man in a castle guard's uniform. The man was almost as tall as he was and had broader shoulders. And the look on his eyes clearly stated that Klay was beneath him and should stand aside. Greyson, he was one of the younger [Soldiers] under the baron's employ. Klay had seen this particular guy patrolling outside the walls while farmers like him gathered fruits and wood from the edges of the forest. He didn't want to move aside. Did this [Soldier] not know that Rose was already spoken for? Klay glanced questioningly at his beloved—and saw her guilty face.

So this was it. The promises and dreams meant nothing in the end.

Klay took a quick bow towards Rose and her father and promptly walked away. He deliberately ignored the smug grin on the [Soldier]'s face as he left.

 

His fantasies are over then. Klay has been half expecting it ever since he saw Rose glance at the [Soldiers] patrolling the farms last harvest season. But since he didn't see any signs of Rose's change of heart for over a year, he thought he was just worrying for nothing—or perhaps he just ignored the signs to live in the dream as long as he could.

 

Well he won't be letting Ed have an early rest tonight—he needs to complain to someone or he might kill the [Soldier] or die trying. That would be a more stupid death than Denil's. So he made his way to a darker part of the village inside the walls, a place where fewer houses were erected because it was farther from the cornfields and nearer to where the baron kept his own swine pens attended by hog raisers under his employ. The smell of animal piss and manure were so strong that Klay had to stop breathing for a moment as he jogged past the animal enclosures. He breathed a relieved sigh as he reached an old oak tree that stood near a white cruckhouse. With a smile, he began walking towards the house but stopped when he saw Ed.

 

Klay's friend was lying on the ground in front of his house as two [Soldiers] pointed their spears at him and a third one leaned on his chest with an armored knee. A knight wearing a brigandine with the Rocksted's hammer sigil sat on a horse and looked down on Ed. Then two more [Soldiers] came out of the house carrying a bound and unconscious woman that Klay recognized as Ed's mother.

 

What was happening? Did Ed do something to incite the baron's ire? Klay's mind whireled with questions and fearful thoughts. He wanted to help his friend. But he knew that they would just both die if he tried to fight against the [Soldiers], and that was not even counting the [Knight]. So Klay hid behind the tree and watched. Near enough to hear them talking, he decided to pay attention to what the [Knight] was telling Ed.

 

"Baron Rocksted has lost his patience with your mother's incessant pleas and uncooperative behaviour. Bring your father's treasures to the keep tomorrow or your mother will hang on a tree by sundown."

 

The [Knight] then left with two of the [Soldiers]. One of them carried Ed's mother like a sack of corn on his left shoulder. The other [Soldiers] allowed Ed to stand up and prodded him towards the house. At first, Ed took a few slow steps towards the door. Then he bolted towards his house and slammed the door shut. The [Soldiers] pounded at the door and they took turns trying to destroy it. But before they could completely destroy the door, an intense flash of light came from inside the house. The [Soldiers] paused for second—then the taller of the two raised his spear and Klay witnessed a skill activate as the spear glowed and the air around its tip rippled. The [Soldier] struck the door a final time and obliterated it, sending debris flying all over. Then they entered the house and Klay heard Ed bellow a shout of defiance.

 

They might kill him—or if not—they would cripple him and show him the overwhelming difference between a peasant and a [Soldier]. Klay knew he shouldn't try to be a hero. What could he do to help? Don't try to be a hero. The true heroes already left Arnea tens of thousands of years ago and only fools think they could fight back against the mighty wall that is the military.

 

Then why did I pick up this discarded spade? Klay thought about it but he still kept walking towards his friend's house. Dying as a fool was better than living like a leashed dog with regrets all his life.

 

0