Chapter 3
481 6 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1 year after I began mining. The path was about 7 km long, with a 30 degree tilt. Obviously I couldn't dig straight up, and as a result the path had to be much longer, but my determination did not waver. Meanwhile, Hermes was…

[You are an enemy of women! I hate you! *Slap*] 

"Hmm… This is rather peculiar. I have only chosen the most logical options, yet they always seem to get angry as a result. We were on a date and she said she was cold, so I told her to go back home, but then she wouldn't talk to me the next morning. Then when I asked her to explain herself, she slapped me. What did I do wrong, professor?"

"Well obviously the correct choice was to give her your coat… Why the hell are you still playing gal games?!" I screamed at the voice inside my head.

"I'd rather do something than being idle - was what you told me, yes?"

"By that I mean to be productive! Just do something that's beneficial! Do some calculations! Process the ores! Anything!"

"Negative. It would take too much power to execute such tasks, and I would like to be able to stay on."

"Urgh, fine. At least stop playing it in my head. Load the game on the terminal and let me work in peace."

"The terminal also draws a substantial amount of power, professor."

"God damn it. Do whatever you want." I growled and went back to mining.

-----

2 years after I began mining. Progress was great, though it was starting to get boring. There were no novels or games on the ship, besides the 30 or so gal game titles that Hermes kept playing on repeat in my head, which I was forced to watch. And the fact that he always picked the wrong options was pissing me off. At least it was somewhat fun to watch him fail.

5 years after I began mining. The path was already 42 km long and 20 in height. I accidentally drilled into an underground stream and was hit in the face with boiling water. Fortunately, my body could handle up to 1500 degree heat without melting, so I was only spooked shitless by the water jumpscare. Unfortunately, the stream carried dirt and debris all the way into the ship before I could plug it up, so I suddenly had to do chores. Meanwhile, Hermes was laughing his ass off with his annoying robot laugh, knowing that I couldn't make him work. I made a memo to nuke the ship once I get out.

7 years after I began mining. I started reading the science books and notes I've accumulated throughout the years - even though I already remembered them by heart. Partly because I was bored. Partly because I missed the thrill of discoveries and inventions. Partly because I was afraid of losing my mind.

9 years after I began mining. I started to play Hermes's collection of gal games with the intention of beating them easily, just to taunt him. The result?

[Final score: Enemy of women!]

"What? How? I did everything right! I made sure to pick every option you did not pick!" I screamed at the end screen projected inside my brain.

"As expected from a virgin." Hermes said mockingly.

"I could've dated anyone if I wanted to. Work just took a higher priority, okay!"

"So the interpretation is that you have no experience, correct?"

"I'm going back to work. Screw this." I crudely brushed Hermes off, having no possible rebuttal against him.

-----

10 years after I started mining.

"We have to stop playing games. You are using too much power by running them, professor." Hermes informed.

"By that you mean the A.I. and not the person, I assume?"

"The games are loaded in your memory, not mine."

"Yeah, and by you! Saying that's like you shooting my gun and then saying I was the shooter! Did your logic turn wack from playing gal games?" I shouted from anger.

"Be careful, professor. You use more power as your head's temperature rises."

"ARRRGGGGHHH Fuck you!!!"

-----

11 years after I began mining.

"Wanna play word chain?" Hermes asked me.

"Might as well. There's nothing to do. Paris."

"Simple"

"Edit"

"Driver"

"Regardless"

"Symptom"

"Maglev"

"Virgin"

"Fuck off."

"You lose, professor."

"FFFFUUU…!!!"

-----

14 years after I began mining.

"Hey Hermes, tell me a joke."

*Sigh* "I'm not Google translate, but very well. What do you call a fish without eye?"

"What?"

"A fsh."

"..."

"..."

"...Ftttt Hahahaha!!!" I bursted out laughing. "What the hell was that? It's so bad! Wahahaha!!!" I tried to talk, my face covered in tears from laughing so hard. It took me a while to recover from such a stupid joke. "Man, it's been so long since I last had that good of a laugh. Tell me another one."

"...I'm going in hibernation." Hermes said after a pause.

"Uh huh. And then?" 

"That's all."

"Huh? That's it? Where's the punchline?" I asked Hermes in confusion.

"There is no punchline. We're at 3 percent power, professor. The only way for you to keep mining is for me to stop almost all of my functions. And even then, it still wouldn't be enough. I'll ask you one last time, professor. Please hibernate with me. You won't be able to stand being alone." Hermes said, his monotonous voice somehow packed sincerity. 

"I… No, I won't give up. We're already halfway, and it will only get easier as I go up. I can't stop now." I said with commitment.

"Professor…"

"I'll be fine. No need to worry about me. I'm stronger than you think. You can go ahead and take a little nap. What do you know, you might be surprised at what you'll see when you wake up." I assured him, not realising my voice was slightly trembling.

"But…"

"Please, Hermes. Put some trust in me. I was the one who saved humanity - well kind of, remember?" I pleaded.

"...Fine. Good night, professor." Hermes said, his voice seemed even more flat than usual.

"Yeah, G'night. I'll show you the sunlight when you wake up." I said, trying to give him the brightest smile I could muster without letting the fact that the corner of my lips was shaking ruin it.

29