Chapter 5
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Name: Orden Ignus

Race: Human

Level: 2 (5/200)

Strength: F

Perception: F

Endurance: F

Intelligence: F

Agility: F

Magic: N/A

Points: 15

 

Points? Like as in experience points? I’m sure I had more than fifteen. In fact I needed 100 just to get here. I tapped on the word points and a new screen came up.

 

Points

Currency for in-system spending. 

Reward for leveling up. 

You can spend points in the Points Store

The points store is currently unavailable. 

Time until availability:

2 days 7 hours 54 minutes

 

A reward? It seems like this ‘system’ wants me to go about killing even more of these things. I wonder what this ‘points store’ will be like?

I dismissed the screens. There would be no point in wasting time wondering about something I had no control over. I needed to get to the station. After leaving the alley the entrance to the station quickly came into view. There didn’t appear to be anyone around the entrance but I didn’t expect for there to be. After hopping over the ticket scanners, which were no longer operational, I quickly descended the stairs. What I saw at the bottom shook me. 

Bodies strewn about the floor, cold blood pooled around them. They had been ripped open by something. Certainly not the goblins, there was no way they could have brought this level of destruction. There were signs of some defenses being organized, some sandbags, some fallen soldiers or police officers. By the looks of things these people had been trying to run away from something, they had been trying to run towards the stairs he had just come down. A low growl came from the darkness. I nearly tripped over one of the bodies as I took a step back. Whatever had done this to these people was about to do the same to me. I turned around and fled. Climbing the stairs as fast as my legs would carry me. There was a constant thundering behind me as I went up, far at first but steadily drawing closer. I couldn’t spare the time to turn around and look. After vaulting the ticket scanners I ran. At the last moment my foot caught the slightest crevice in the floor and I found myself lying face first on the road. Immediately I scrambled to my feet, not wanting to waste any lead I had. However looking back I saw nothing. There was no monster chasing me, or if it was then it had stopped. I wiped the blood from my freshly cut lip and stood there panting. 

 

“Psst! Over here.”

A voice called from one of the nearby buildings. I moved to it. In the doorway stood a guy about the same age as me gesturing to come inside. He had brown eyes and dark hair, not exactly a rarity though he did have a unique scar that ran from his ear to his jaw. 

“What the hell were you thinking? Going in like that is a death sentence. Did you not see the bodies?” he asked.

It was a shock speaking to a person amidst all this chaos although I was glad for the opportunity.

“Only once I was inside.” I managed to reply.

“Well then you must be blind, come inside, it’s dangerous out here. There are monsters roaming the streets.” He said, welcoming me in.

We were inside a decrepit out of the way phone repair store. It was small and the only light that came in was through the glass door. He pushed a shelf in front of the door, limiting the light even further.

“Well I suppose now is as good a time for introductions as ever. Hi my name is Dolus”

“Nice to meet you Dolus.” I replied “Do you know what that creature was?”

“Not a clue. All I know is that some weird system popped up in front of me this morning. I was attacked by a small monster which, by the looks of things, appeared everywhere. I watched a lot of people outside get killed by those monsters. I only survived mine because it tripped over something I was supposed to clean last night. Who would’ve thought that my laziness would save my life.” Dolus explained.

“That is surprising, but that’s not the sort of habit that’s good to have.”

Dolus shifted on his feet before peeking out of the barely exposed window. 

“Do you know if someone’s coming for us?” Dolus asked. “The military? Emergency response? Anyone?”

I stood up and went to the window next to him. We both looked out at the street. It was empty save for the abandoned vehicle or occasional body.

“When I was in the station I saw both police and military personnel lying dead. I don’t think anyone’s equipped to fight this… whatever this is. I think we’re alone.”

0