Chapter 7
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The directions we got weren’t great. They were obviously tailored to people who had lived here before, the other people in the camp probably thought that we lived in this neighborhood. Luckily they were mostly tailored around landmarks and not street names and such. On multiple occasions we found ourselves lost or at least thought ourselves to be. Each house was the exact same as the last, the same stupid picket fence the same lack of creativity. It honestly felt suffocating. Each time we managed to find our way back however, be it by a stray marker or a house that had had a car run through it. As we moved further and further on, signs of battle began to make themselves apparent. The occasional splatter of blood or the marks of damage on the surroundings. 

Eventually we came across a body. He probably wasn’t from the camp because he wasn’t wearing any form of armor. Though it was different because where the goblins would usually cut, stab, or bludgeon their opponents, this body had just been ripped to ribbons. Blood and gore seemed to cover the floor for a good meter or so. I stooped low to take a closer look when I heard Dolus’ yell come from behind me. I twisted just in time to see him take his club and wack it against the side of a monster's head.  I stood up to rush and assist until I saw one of them  for me.  I tried to swing at the monster but missed. The beast bit at my arm, its teeth lodging themselves in the armor. I took out one of the blades with my other hand and brought it up to pierce the monster's neck. The monster did not die immediately, I repeatedly stabbed it before the monster went limp and dislodged itself from my arm. 

Dolus seemingly had a better time of it than I did, after successfully landing his first blow Dolus was now bludgeoning the monster. Honestly, looking at the monster's corpse for the few seconds before it vanished made me feel kinda bad for it. Not to worry, that feeling didn’t last long and I turned my attention back to the window.

 

Congratulations! You have defeated 1 ‘Lesser Gray Wolf’.

-60 EXP has been awarded to you.

-15 Gold has been awarded to you.

-No penalty will be awarded due to 

the separated nature of your battles.

A Lesser Gray Wolf? Doesn’t that just imply the existence of a Greater Gray Wolf. What the hell are we supposed to do against something like that?

“Ignus you good?” Dolus asked. “I thought I saw it latch into your arm.”

“It did.” I replied. “Don’t let that happen to you, it was so heavy and I could hardly move. Besides, the thing was a pain to take down with only one free hand.”

Dolus continued moving, I picked up my club and followed after him. It took a while but we eventually saw the bags. Dolus was about to go get them when I knocked him to the side. He was about to yell but I put my hand over his mouth. I grabbed onto him and pulled him behind one of the fences. I put my finger to my lips.

“What the hell man!” he whispered angrily.”

“Look” I said.

Dolus stuck his head round the corner before catching sight of what I had seen. On the lawn just next to the house were about six Gray Wolves. Fortunately there didn’t seem to be any Greater version of them. There were still too many for us to handle alone, one would be okay, two would be very difficult, but both of us taking on three at once was near impossible. I peeked my head out once more to get a look, I needed to come up with a plan. But as I did so one of the wolves growled. The others didn’t seem particularly concerned but this one was just making its way toward us. We only had a few moments to prepare, I told Dolus a rough plan I’d thought of and he seemed fine with it. 

As the wolf came past Dolus struck its head with the club, at  the same time I came from the side and plunged a blade into its throat. I left it there and jammed another two in. It was dead before it even got a chance to make a sound. I checked once more, the other wolves hadn’t noticed what had just happened. 

How are they so oblivious to what’s going on? Can’t they like, smell their dead friend or something. 

As soon as I said that they collectively got up and started toward us. Each of them growling.

I should not have thought that. I really shouldn’t have thought that.

I really didn't have a plan on how to deal with these monsters. All I could do was grab my club and ready the blades. We had barely a moment before they were upon us. I threw the first blow to one of the closer ones with my club, there was a thunk and it was knocked down. I couldn’t keep the advantage however as I was knocked down by one of the other wolves. It bit into my leg and it felt like it was about to rip off. I grabbed one of the blades from my belt. It sank itself deep into the wolf’ eye and the monster collapsed. After hobbling to my feet I set upon the wolf that had sunk its teeth into Dolus’ shoulder. By the time it went down the one I had hit with my club earlier got back up. The fur on its head was matted with blood. I picked my club up from the floor. The wolf lunged at me but I swung the club up just in time to catch its jaw. The wolf fell again. This time I wouldn’t make the same mistake and hammered repeatedly on the wolf’s  head until it was about as flat as a pancake. Around that time Dolus had finished up with the other two. I hobbled towards the bags and tried to lift them up but I couldn’t keep my balance.

“Ignus you’re in no shape to be carrying things. I’ll take the bags, you just focus on getting back and having them fix your leg.” Dolus said.

Even though I felt useless just hobbling along next to Dolus while he carried everything, it was relieving that he would help me out like this. He was really just too nice of a guy. We made our way back to the camp by which time it was nightfall. Honestly they seemed surprised that we had returned. One of the people from the camp sat me down and started treating my leg. Fifteen minutes and a couple wraps of a bandage later and I was resting inside one of the makeshift shelters that they had. There wasn’t enough for everyone to get their own so Dolus and I had to share. It felt very relieving to be out of all that gear and to be honest I could use the rest. I went to bed and asked for Dolus to wake me up before the countdown reached zero.

0