Log 4: The Gleafaver
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Log 4: 

Date: July 5th, 2190 I.C. 

Time: 21: 24

Location: Brew It Rai Cafe/Rai Family Residence 

After Trevor left the cafe, we closed up for the night. Our cafe closes at 21:00 every day unless it’s a holiday and on the weekends, it’s 22:00. As I flick the light switch off, I watch as a few vendors were also packing up for the day. Their colorful tents and Ether cooktops fold away into their compact Hackneys. The lights that had blinded the streets earlier faded away one by one. Only a few stands that were opening till midnight remained. The crowd of people that were there earlier departed from the vicinity on the cable cars making their last rounds for the night. 

I turned my back towards the window before walking over to a wooden door adjacent to the register counter. I twist the tarnished metal knob to the right revealing a long wooden staircase. A light filtered from far above. I marched up the stairs towards the light, my boots squeaking against the polished wood while my hands brushed against the wooden railing nailed into the side of the wall. 

As I emerged at the top, the first thing that greater me was an open squared space. An L-shaped couch situated in the far left corner of the space in front of a stone chimney that has been a part of the space for ages. Mounted above the chimney was a 56-inch Telecaster. A green Ether stone embedded on the bottom part of its frame could be activated with a remote controller sitting on the wooden coffee table sandwiched in the space between the couch and the chimney. 

Off to the bottom right corner obscured by a similar staircase that ascended to the third floor of this cottage-style building was a round glass dining table with four of the same light wooden chairs from the cafe downstairs. Four rattan placemats decorated the pristine table top. To my left, a long kitchen extended from nearly one end of the room to the other. The marble countertop and hanging glass light fixtures gave the kitchen a modern and refined feel. It was even equipped with the latest Ether appliances from a five-burner stovetop cum grill and oven, a reheater-vent combination on top of the stove, a double-door two-temperature cooler, and a dishwasher that blended seamlessly into the cabinetry. There were also some other miscellaneous appliances scattered across the countertop which weren’t exactly necessary but just nice to have. 

In the small area between the kitchen and the staircase that descend to the cafe, was a hallway with a few doors. The one closest to the kitchen was the pantry. The one next to it was a storage closet and the door at the end was the guest bedroom while the bathroom for it was constructed underneath the space between the staircase. If you ask me, it’s kind of a poor design but we’ve had no issues with it. 

This was my home. 

>>>

Like many Commoner owned businesses, we lived and worked in the same place. The first floor was designated for the shop while the second and third floors were our residence. Of course, the door accessing those other floors were closed off to customers for good reasons. 

When we first moved into the cottage, it was pretty dilapidated from age. We couldn’t afford to remodel it at the time since the business hadn’t quite taken off yet. Once it did, we made a substantial profit and fixed it up a couple of years ago. Though a bit pricey, this place was our home and we should make it look like one. 

>>>

I take off my shoes and put them on the shoe rack in the closet, donning myself a pair of gray slippers while hanging my bag on the coat hanger lining the wall next to the closet. 

I wander over to the dinner table, the smell of cream pasta wafted through my nose. My parents sitting at their respective spots with plates of creamy alfredo. As I took my own seat, there was one left empty. My brother’s seat. 

“So Arian, how was work today?” My dad asked, anticipating my response. 

“Same as always,” I reply, giving him the same answer as I did with Trevor. “Everything is smooth sailing until Blank comes in to ruin it. It’s like he knows my work schedule no matter how much I adjust it.” 

My mom laughs. 

“Sweetie, you’re always going to have clients like that. Remember the saying, the customer comes first.” 

I roll my eyes. I long groan escapes my mouth

“I get that but it’s infuriating. He’s basically Trevor but ten times harder to deal with, not as sociable, and probably has bipolar.” 

My dad takes a swig of water from his cup. 

“You know Arian, not everyone is as conversational as you think. You’re always gonna have people like Blank which is unavoidable, unfortunately. All we can do is remain calm and do our best to serve the customer.” 

I sighed, knowing there wasn’t much of a solution. Blank was just doing his job while I was doing mine. 

“I guess so. Anyhow, how’s my brother doing up in Lengeheim?” 

“Mason said he’s doing well, he called in while you were at work due to the time difference up in Lengeheim,” Mom responded popping a mouthful of lettuce in her mouth. “After settling that contract, the Lengeheim Duchy offered to give them a tour around for the rest of the week. They’re currently going skiing down the Lengeheim Mountain Range.” 

Man, I’m jealous. 

“Lucky," I grumbled shoving a mouthful of pasta into my face. "I mean who wouldn’t want a free vacation.” 

“It’s not exactly free you know.” My dad thrust his fork at me. “The Merchant Team worked hard for it. It took a month of negotiations. You know, they say the young Duke of Lengeheim is much harder to deal with than his father. After all, Lengeheim has some strict regulations when it comes to doing business in their territory. Just think of that trip as the hopes for successful cooperation.” 

“Let’s hope so.” 

>>>

Upon finishing supper, I ate half of the Jackmansi Danish my parents left aside. It was sweet but I think my parents also added a bit of citron juice to it to give it a slight sourness. I guess it was to adjust to the Imperium Cityfolk’s taste. Definitely a nice treat to have after a long day. 

I trudge up to my room on the third floor at the end of the corridor. It was a very plain square room without anything that stood out. A wooden shelf with some certificates and medals enclosed in glass boxes and frames was spread across the three different levels. A bed situated in one corner of the room away from the balcony door covered by a dark curtain right next to my desk. On top of my desk was my personal Tabloid with a keyboard attachment, a night lamp with a pencil jar built into it, a round analog alarm clock I purchased from an antique store, and a cylindrical Liaiser charger which I placed my Liaiser on to charge for the night. The blue Ether stone embedded into its body pulsed a soft blue hue. There were also drawers underneath the desk to file documents and other miscellaneous items. I also used it to store my old school books. Some of which I still use as references today. 

To the other side of the balcony door was my closet which stored my clothing, bedding, luggage, and some old practice weapons I kept around from my Academy days. Though, I suppose they don’t serve much use anymore since I’m working inside the city. Well, it never hurts to have a means of self-defense even in these somewhat peaceful times. 

I brush aside one rack of clothing to find a long object wrapped in a thick white cloth. Twine fastening it at various sections yet I could still see the gleaming silver body peaking out of the cloth.

A wave of nostalgia washed over my mind as I pulled out the object from the closet, untying the twine that fastened the cloth to it. 

Unveiling the object, I let out a small sigh. It was a silver weapon approximately 72 inches in length to suit my petite figure that resembled a spear but was a bit different. While it possessed the sharp tip and slightly flexible body that spears possessed, it also housed a silver Ether core the size of my fist. Towards the bottom of the spear at its hilt was a ring with a long wire spun around it. If one followed the wire’s trail for a bit they would come across a spool containing more wire. The end of the spool appearing to attach to some apparatus. 

This was a rather unorthodox weapon that I learned how to wield back in my Academy days, Gleafaver.

>>> 

The Gleafaver was a hybrid weapon that combined the aspects of a spear and staff. It was a hybrid weapon developed for Close Combat Magicians or other similar Positions on the frontlines during times of war. Typically, the Gleafaver would not be used on its own but instead attached to an Ether Generator through a wire to allow it to return to its owner without requiring a high level of Ether manipulation or to a weapons case, which included the same reel mechanism as the former but could store other weapons, for a convenient switch in battle.

Most wielders of the Gleafaver prefer the former as it’s more simple to use but I was one of the rare cases and had the latter. The reason for it being the Gleafaver on its own can be an inconvenience depending on the terrain, especially when one needed to fight in enclosed spaces, so I preferred to switch out my weapon to adapt to where I am. 

The weapons case I possessed was the basic set for Gleafaver welders but it could also be purchased for individuals trying to figure out what weapon they want to specialize in. My case, like many others, was divided into separate different-sized compartments and contained various weapons and attachments throwing knives, an archery set, a long-pointed needle sword for narrower spaces, extra spools of wire, and several Ether cores which I’ve never had to use. 

I used to use all of these in the past but, the Gleafaver was my specialty. Nowadays, I store it along with the weapons case separately in my closet. Though I could fit my Gleafaver into my compact weapons case using a Sigil, I don’t do so because continuously compressing the Gleafaver can cause damage to its body and eventually make it brittle since compression alters the physical structure of the weapon. Only if I have to switch out weapons or transport my Gleafaver will I compress it but I don’t think that will happen unless I move out of my parent's home. 

>>>

“I should really buy a case for it. Dust is gathering on it.” 

Picking up the Gleafaver, I twirl it around in my hands, the feeling of swinging the weapon around in various arced motions returning to me but not by much. If I injected Ether into it, I might end up destroying my room. Plus, It was getting late and I had work tomorrow so I wrapped up the Gleafaver and placed it back in its comfortable spot in my closet. I shut the door of the closet soundly and chuckled. 

It would be fun if I can use it again. 

Yet it wouldn’t be long until my wishes would be fulfilled but not in the way I’d anticipated it would go. 

What do you think about Imperium City Orders so far? Let me know in the comments below! For those who came from Heir de Winter, any feedback is much appreciated! In the meantime, stay tuned for the next chapter!

 

0