Log 7: The Royal Court
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Log 7: 

Date: July 6th, 2190 I.C. 

Time: 09:23

Location: Royal Court

The Hackney sped down the road past the iron gates till the massive triangular arrangement of buildings that I’ve always looked at from the Outer Business District appeared before my very eyes. The faded two moons hovering high above the peaks across from the sun beaming down on them, giving the building a certain luster. I could crane my neck up, and I still wouldn’t be able to see the tips of those buildings that seemed to pierce the sky. It was surreal, but this was the Royal Court. 

>>>

The Royal Court was the home to Royals, former Royals, the Imperium City Army, and major government buildings. In the past, it used to be just a single marble palace but today, it’s expanded so much that it has essentially become its own District. 

You might also be wondering about what I mean by Former Royals.

Well, let me explain. 

Unlike traditional monarchies, Imperium City’s monarchy was a bit different. Instead of having a ruling family for pretty much eternity until some coup occurs, there is an election system where individuals are selected by Parlament to become Royals be it, Commoner or Noble, class does not matter. However, this only applies to the Emperor. Once the Emperor is elected, his entire lineage becomes Royals but only for a set period of time which is fifteen years, and cannot be re-elected afterward. Once this term is over, the current Emperor will abdicate his position. If he refuses, then Parliament will do the job, and a new Emperor is selected for another fifteen years. Of course, the former Emperor and his family would be allowed to live in the Royal Court as a sort of thank you for your service as Former Royals. But, in the first place, the path to becoming Emperor was no easy feat. 

One had to be a citizen of Oriar. Second, the individual must have served in the Royal Guard and achieved the rank of Commander or in Parliament for a minimum of 10 years. Finally, the individual had to be at least 30 years of age to qualify for election. However, if one was a direct family member of a Former Emperor hence a Former Royal, they would automatically be eligible to run for the Emperor's position but only when they turn 25. 

Then the election process is conducted over the course of a year once the selected candidates are chosen. Typically, there are anywhere around twenty to two hundred. Parliament conducts most of this process in secret to whittle down the number of candidates. However, insider information reveals that the selection is quite complex, but during the final two rounds of the election process, the people get a chance to vote on who they want for Emperor. Here’s the catch, we don’t get to see their faces or their real names. The only thing the public is given is a candidate number, their campaign, and their values. The reason is to protect the candidates from assassination attempts from rivals or their allies. Only those in Parliament know the true identities of the candidates and each member is conducted to a vow of secrecy that, if broken, would result in the member’s death. 

Once elections are over, the candidate inaugurated as the new Emperor is assigned a pseudonym to the public, which can be anything the Emperor likes as long as it’s not ridiculous. From there, the candidate and his family are registered as Royals and a long fifteen-year reign begins. However, unlike the Emperor, the other Royals that are a part of the Emperor’s lineage are revealed to the public. The reason for this is because they act as proxies for the Emperor to the public allowing Royalty to establish a closer connection with the people. Though in the Noble's eyes, the other Royals are merely tools they can manipulate to get their Emperor's favor. 

But wait! What if people attack the Emperor’s Family? Isn’t that concerning? 

Not really because intruders or potential assassins are always caught by the guards or decimated by the gate before they even make it to the Emperor. Plus it’s not like the Emperor and his family are weak either. Even if the assailant managed to touch the Royal Family, they would most likely end up dead in a fight because the Members of the Royal Family are trained till they can be on par with at least an 8-Star Adventurer which only less than half a percent of Adventurers can reach in their lifetime. So the chances of a Royal getting assassinated were next to none and it hasn’t happened in the last two centuries. 

As for me, I just happened to be acquainted with a few Royals myself. One of them happened to be the Emperor.  

>>> 

The Hackney drove past another iron gate into a circular courtyard. A marble fountain to my left surrounded by various exotic plants was carved into the shape of two figures, a man and a woman. The man was clad in armor, a helmet covering his face making it hard to make out his features. His great sword encrusted in gems planted into the platform below him an imposing aura. Standing next to was a much shorter female figure with flowing hair that seemed to be moving in the wind. She wore a long flowing dress covered in plates of armor. A crown embedded with a gem shaped around her forehead. In her armors hand, she wielded a long spear with a sharp diamond tip, the predecessor of the modern Gleafaver. A flag with the three shards of the Imperium City crest present was tied onto its body representing the three principles: Virtue, Determination, and Pride. These two were the famous Adventurers and also the founders of Imperium City, Kalios and Uruna. 

Majestic, I would say as I gazed up at the sculpture mounted atop the fountain. 

To my right stood the Imperial Palace, the first megastructure of its kind to be built in Imperium City but its measly twenty floors paled in size compared to the steel behemoths behind it. Constructed from a rare white stone know as Peralia that could only be found in the south of Oriar, the Palace had been the home to generations of Royal families for millennia. Its staggered towers and blue-tiled domed roofs made it stand out from the other buildings in the vicinity. Large glass windows decorated the sides, each with its own iron balcony attached to it. Vines of harmless plants coiled around the iron bars giving it a natural and majestic feel but the guards standing outside of the grand double doors in their silver armor kind of ruined it. Nevertheless, it was truly a place rich in history. 

The Hackney pulls up to the curb, the doors of it aligning perfectly with the stone pathway. Alan stepped out of the Hackney first before walking over to my side and opening the door as if I were a Noble lady being escorted by her knight. But chivalry’s kinda dead and it’s really only used as a formality. Just the thought of that made me cringe slightly. I disembarked the Hackney, accepting Alan’s warm hand which was quite a stark contrast to his cold demeanor, and let my body follow his movements as he whisked my bottom off the exquisite seat of the Hackney. 

“Thank you.” I smiled, my feet making contact with the stone path while Alan closed the door behind me. 

But there was no response from Alan. I turn around to find the Duke slowly shutting the door of a Hackney as if he were moving in slow motion. His face had turned a bright red. His composure was seriously breaking to the point where his face was twitching. 

I let out a small laugh. 

Alan was also really bad at taking praises. Being the son of the former Duke of Lengeheim, receiving praise was such a rare occurrence that anytime he got one for a casual act, his face would flush red from pure joy and embarrassment even though he didn’t do much. He was still the same as always.

It made me a bit happy that he hadn’t changed even after graduation. 

But in the midst of my thoughts, I felt a chill run down my spine. My senses screamed that something was hot on my tail. I spin on my heel quickly, but before I can even complete my turn, I feel a rush of Ether brush past my face. A bright silver barrier Sigil with the three mountains of the Lengeheim Duchy pops up inches from my face, deflecting the object that made contact with it back the way it came till gravity pulled it down to the ground a few feet away, where I could take a better glimpse at what had hit the barrier. 

It was a throwing knife. Its edges were dulled down too meaning it was meant for training purposes. 

“Hey, look who it is?” A cocky voice came from the entrance of the Palace. “Never would’ve I thought I’d see you back here, Ari.” 

I could recognize that voice from one end of Oriar to the other. I glance up to find a dark-skinned figure with a head full of spiky white hair leaned up against a marble pillar, twirling another throwing knife in his hands. The silver blade gleamed in the sunlight as the figure balanced the tip of the dulled blade on his fingertip. His eyes a light green color, the same shade as a Jackmansi, reflected into the blade’s sleek body. His non-dominant hand shoved deep into the pocket of his casual green jacket over a v-neck black top paired together with his ripped jeans tucked into his brown combat boots. 

“Nice to see you too, Alice,” I smirk picking up the throwing knife that fell not too far in front of me, tossing it up in the air a few times before catching it by the handle perfectly each time. 

“You still have the guts to call me that name, Ari?”

>>>

Third Prince Alistar Lorain. If there was anything I’d say about him is that he’s a royal pain, quite literally too. However, he’s always been like that since we were kids. Before his father became the Emperor, he was always moving from town to town. However, he settled down in Eloimale for a few years to complete primary school and that’s how I got to know him. We were neighbors who lived a block away from each other at the time, and his father babysitted me on the weekends when my parents were busy. Over time, he essentially became my uncle or godfather however you want to put it. Upon graduating from primary school, we then went our separate ways until reuniting in Imperium City Academy five years ago when his father had just been inaugurated as the new Emperor. Yet even when his status changed, his personality remained the same and he became known to the public as the Mischievous Prince. 

>>>

“Why yes, I do, Your Highness.” I snarked back throwing the knife in his direction which he caught with ease. 

“Not bad,” He smirked looking at the knife I threw at his face casually. “Your aim has gotten much better. Have you been practicing?” 

I shrugged. 

“Maybe.” 

In truth though, I was. 

>>>

Alistar had always had a talent for wielding knives. If his father didn’t become the Emperor he would’ve perused the path of a contract Assassin for the Guild. But currently, he was a Prince and had to assist his father with menial tasks, mostly diplomacy. As much of a jerk as he can be normally, when it comes to negotiating he has a way with words that makes him an unmatched force. People who lose to him always think it’s because of his Royal education but it has nothing to do with it.

He was just that talented. 

These were two of the things I could never beat Alistar in no matter how hard I tried. The only person who’s ever been his match in either was Hailey Summers, the Vice Captain of Imperium City’s Royal Guard.

Even though I no longer work out in the field, I initially practiced knife throwing so I could at least get a tie against Alistar but with knives not being my forte, I can only dream of beating him. Instead, I just do it for stress relief and the Guild has a pretty good knife-throwing range. If I were to estimate my knife skills, it would be on par with a 4-Star Adventurer just barely passing according to Imperium City Academy’s Assassin graduation requirements. 

>>>

“Bull.” Alistar cackled. “You have been. I can tell. Anyhow, I heard my father summoned you.” 

“Yeah, it's been a while since I last saw the old man. Since graduation, I believe. How’s he been?” 

Alistar smiled. 

“Good, same as always. He’s still in a meeting with one of the Ministers. While you wait, do you mind a quick spar?” 

“Sure.” I laughed. “ I’ve been dying to wield a proper weapon again.” 

“Follow me. I'll take you to the Training Field, the midday shift should be done with practice. Alan, you should come too." 

"Understood, Your Highness." Alan bowed his head behind me as Alistar marched off in the distance to his own beat, folding his hands behind his head and whistling a made-up tune. 

"Welcome back, Ari." 

"It's my pleasure." 

So we meet Third Prince Alistar Lorain. It seems that Arian has a bit of history with him. I know there are a lot of male characters but there isn't a harem in this story, but there is only one male lead, Blank, which has been confirmed in the summary. Why does everyone think every story that has a shit ton of male or female characters is going to go the harem route. NO! This is not going the harem route, and it will not go the harem route! Who do you think Blank is? I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, and I'll see you all next time.

0