Log 10: The Farewell
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Log 10: 

Time: 11:02

Date: July 6th, 2190 I.C. 

Location: Royal Court

Upon finishing my conversation with the Emperor, which lasted longer than I thought because he went on a tangent about the good ol' days, I headed straight home. The Guild had already been informed of my leave, so I could get packing without much worry. 

However, my trip back was extremely awkward because Blank was hitching along with me. He didn’t even speak a single word. However, from this trip, I learned a few things about him. 

His combat ability was equivalent to a 7-Star Adventurer despite only being a 5-Star. Second, he’s a member of Parliament, which meant he was most likely a Noble, but I also couldn’t rule out the low possibility of him being a Commoner. Furthermore, he was a Uncials Expert, which was quite rare in Imperium City. Also, judging from his physique, he shouldn’t be much older than me, if not the same age and at most his mid-twenties. Plus, if the Emperor himself puts him in high regard, Blank be someone the Emperor must trust a lot, especially with my safety. 

If I put all these pieces together, I can deduce that Blank is probably someone I’m acquainted with. The question was, who? I had a ton of male acquaintances back in the Academy, but there was only a handful I was close with. It couldn’t be Alistar or the Duke, even though they’re both members of Parliament since they are heading out to deal with other Dungeons. Trevor faints at the sight of blood, plus his specialty is topography, not Uncials, so I can take him out of the picture. Then that would mean Blank was not a part of my main circle but someone else I’m close to. Argh, I don’t know! There are so many guys I know! I need more evidence…

As the grand doors of the Peralia palace opened up, I found myself looking at a different Hackney instead of the one the Duke escorted me in. It was still a sleek black, but it was much smaller in comparison and had the Imperium City Emblem plastered. Leaning against the passenger side of the Hackney was a driver wearing a blue messenger’s hat with the three shards of Imperium City embroidered on its front. 

“Ms. Rai,” The driver hollered. “It’s such a pleasure to see you again!” 

“And you are?” 

“My apologies. I guess you don’t remember me, Vaisite*.” 

*Vaisite: The equivalent of “Senior” or “Upperclassman” in Oriar. 

The driver took off his cap. His striking green hair and golden eyes were not something one could forget. 

“Thomas! It’s been a long time! I see you’ve accomplished your dream.” 

>>>

Thomas was my underclassman back at the Academy. He always wanted to become a Royal Court Driver, but the problem was that he had to take an Academic Exam. Though his scores were sufficient to get him through the Academy, he needed someone to tutor him so he could pass the exam because it was more difficult. I was a tutor at the Academy tutoring clinic during my last two years since I needed some extra cash to buy a new Gleafaver. On my first day on the job, I tutored Thomas, and he’s been a recurring student until I graduated. 

>>>

“It’s thanks to you, Vaisite.” He replied bashfully, “Without your teachings, I wouldn’t have passed.” 

“I’m glad to have helped you. So it seems like you’re the one escorting me back.” 

“That’s correct. But wow, who would’ve thought?!” 

“Right. Hey, by the way, how are things going with Lillie?” 

“She keeps friend-zoning me. Reality is harsh!” 

“Have patience, my friend. We are all young, so there’s no need to rush!” 

Thomas gives me a crestfallen look. I could tell he was hoping that one day Lillie would accept him for who he was. 

“Enough of that. Time is of the essence. I’ll take you back to Souk Agora. As for Mr. Blank,” Thomas tilted his head to see the masked figure behind me. “I believe Naruk Agora if I’m not mistaken?” 

Blank nodded, confirming Thomas’s question. 

Thomas smiled, popping open the trunk of the Hackney. 

“Perfect. Pack your things, and we'll be on our way." 

 >>>

The first few minutes of the ride back were just as awkward as the walk out of the Royal Court. However, I couldn't just sit still. If I was working with Blank, I might as well take this as an opportunity to know him better.  

"You were a member of Parliament. How come I never knew that?" 

He shrugged.

His face, concealed by his mask, made it difficult for me to read his emotions. 

"You never asked." 

He's got a point. I always assumed he was just some savage who became an Adventurer to satisfy his killer instincts, but with all this new information, it didn't seem like the case. 

"Why did you become an Adventurer in the first place? You're already a member of Parliament, so there's no need to do that kind of work." 

"To make an actual change." 

"Actual change?" 

"Modern Parliament makes it hard to accomplish anything will all the bureaucracy. The politicians all talk but nothing ever gets done even though it appears we are pumping out policies and reforms." Then he paused. It was the first time I've heard him say more than he's used to. I guess I just had to ask the right questions. "I became an Adventurer so I could make a visible change. Provide security to the people so their homes won't be destroyed by a monster invasion. People don't exactly favor Parliament members as much as the Monarch." 

"So that's why you always take on extermination Requests. How selfless of you." 

A smile formed on my face. People like Blank were one in a million.

"What about you, Ms. Rai? Why did you become a Receptionist?" 

I fold my legs together, thinking about how I should reply to his question. 

"It's a long story. Put it simply, I didn't want to work in the field anymore. I just...had enough of it. Seen too much of it over the years. Now the Emperor wants me to head back out, and I can't refuse." 

"Were you an Investigator before?" 

"No. I wasn't. I just happened to have the skill set to become one, but I never worked as one."

"If I may ask, how much field experience do you have?" 

"Ten years. Started when I was nine." As a reference, the average Imperium City Academy graduate like myself would have approximately five years by now, which was about the same as an average 4-Star Adventurer. "What about you, Blank?" 

"Fifteen. Started when I learned how to run." 

"How?!" 

"Parent threw me into monster-infested woods. Told me to survive for three days. You?" 

"Monster butchering. It was mostly boars, snakes, and other low-level monster corpses. Nothing compared to what you experienced."   

"Is that so?" 

I shrugged. 

"Yes, that's all there is to it." 

We kept talking for a bit, but it was mostly about how Parliament is in an uproar due to the Dungeon Outbreak. Another twenty Dungeons had formed when I was distracted talking with the Emperor. Nothing like this happened in Oriar's history and could be considered a black swan event. What made it all the more strange was the timing at which all these Dungeons were spawning. Throughout history, whenever there is a Dungeon Outbreak, all the Dungeons involved in the outbreak would appear at the same time. However, these dungeons were forming at all different times, plus it all seemed quite sporadic. Blank also caught onto this and wondered if there was some hidden correlation, but there was only one way we could tell. That would be to see the Dungeons ourselves. 

Soon, we arrived at one of Naruk Agora's cable car stations. Blank left the cabin, giving me a nod before turning away to handle the rest of his business for the day. Then, Trevor rushed me back to Souk Agora station before heading back to the Royal Court. We didn't talk much after Blank left since he was taking a call from his superior. He just dropped me off, and I was alone on my merry way home. 

>>>

A few minutes later, I push open the door to the cafe. The morning crowd that was there when I left was gone. Shelves and display cases were devoid of items. Behind the counter, my parents and employees were preparing tons of plain bread dough for the afternoon wave. People went crazy about stocking up on supplies. 

My parents glanced over at me as I shut the door behind me. 

"Ari," My father hollered. "What are you doing home so early?" 

I bit down on my lip, not wanting to break the bad news, but I had no choice. One way or another, my parents would find out. 

"I was summoned by Imperial Decree." 

Clatter. 

A metal bowl fell to the ground. 

The eggs my mom had just cracked into it spilled all over the tile floor. Their orange yolks shattered upon impact. 

"What?!" 

"They're sending me to investigate some of the Dungeons in the outbreak since they're short-handed. I'll be gone for a month if I make it out alive." 

My mom rushed over to me, hugging me tightly in her embrace. Her body smelled like flour and sugar. 

The case containing my expensive as heck Gleafaver dropped onto the ground as I hugged her back. 

She whispered into my ear, "I don't know what Tobias is thinking but come home in one piece. You're strong, Arian. Mom and Dad have passed down everything we know to you. Use it well. Survive." 

My eyes grew watery, but I couldn't cry. 

Farewells were common in any field-related profession.

It was painful. 

It tugged at my heartstrings. 

I gave her a warm but sad smile. 

"I will." 

Then, my dad walked over, embracing my mother and me in his arms. 

"Our baby girl will be okay. Be optimistic, Sheila. She's one of the best Supporters Imperium City has. Let's place our trust in her." 

"Okay," My mom clutched onto my jacket even harder. "When are you leaving?" 

"Tomorrow at six. First thing in the morning. I'm taking the Warp Sation to Jannad." 

"Such a shame," my dad glanced at me. "Mason's Warp has been delayed, so he won't be home till tomorrow." 

I sighed. 

"I'll miss him. A shame that I can't bid him farewell in person. I'll give him a call later. But I gotta get packing." 

"Alright." My dad agreed, moving his arms away so mom and I could move. "We'll let you get to that. Stay safe, kiddo." 

"You always know I will." 

>>>

It didn't take me too long to pack what I needed for the excursion. Perhaps because everything I needed was already neatly organized in my bedroom and downstairs storage closet. A compact tent, sleeping bag, a month's worth of freeze-dried rations, extra clothes, my other Gleafaver, the list went on. Before I knew it, it was almost five. 

I press the button on the Ether box, its large body, which I had to put in the hallway, compressing down to the size of my palm. I tossed the box in my backpack but didn't compress the new Gleafaver I received from the Emperor. Compressing weapons all the time could make them brittle. Unfortunately, there is no way to completely eliminate this side effect, and if I was going to use this as my main weapon, I had to keep it in its best condition, and I say that as I dropped it on the ground not too long ago. 

Suddenly, my Laisier rings. It was my brother, Mason Rai. 

Pressing the flashing green answer button on the screen, I'm met with a loud greeting in his obnoxious voice.  

"Yo, dinggus!" 

Yup. That was my brother, alright. 

"Hey, Mason." 

"Woah, you're calling me by my first name?! Thought you'd call me 'man-child' like you usually do? Must be doing some really serious stuff to be addressing me 'normally'." 

"Don't play dumb," I spat. "You already know what's going on." 

"Jokes aside, are you okay? I mean, going back out into the field and all after what happened?" 

This time his voice was filled with genuine concern. As much of an idiot my brother acts with me, he still cares. 

"I'm fine. What's passed has passed. What about you? How's it at the Warp Station?" 

"Absolute mayhem. A lot of people here are from the neighboring Duchies or Imperium City. Now with the Dungeon Outbreak fiasco, they're all trying to get back. Because of that, some Portals have broken down, and I'm stranded in Lengeheim till tomorrow." 

I snickered, trying to lighten the mood.

"I know. The parental units informed me. You okay?" 

"Yeah, we booked a night at a local hostel. Lucked out since everyone else had the same thoughts. I'm currently sitting in the hostel, but at least they have amazing signal here. Kinda crowded, though. Oh- I gotta go. I'm about to check-in. Listen, as Mom and Dad told you, you're gonna be okay. You remember all those tricks I taught you when were younger?" 

I nodded. 

"Of course." 

"Use them to escape. There is no shame in running away from something you can't handle at the moment. What makes you the asshole is if you let someone be the scapegoat. At that point, you have no pride as an Adventurer. Save your butt when necessary but don't try to abandon anyone. You hear me, dinggus?" 

"Loud and clear." 

"Perfect!" Mason laughed. "Go, young one! Make sure those monsters don't take you before I do." 

"I will, jerko!" I retorted, hanging up on him, slumping my back against the bedframe. 

I was going to miss my exchanges with him. 

>>>

I walked down to the bakery area, grabbing myself a failed pastry from the back. This time, I selected a deformed cookie that had merged with several others from the same batch. The supposedly circular pastry had clear signs that it was ripped off the baking sheet. I sat in an isolated corner of the bakery. The glass light hanging over my plate as I stare out on the bustling street. 

As I was about to take a bit of my cookie, a figure pulled out the seat across from me. I glance up, smiling at the figure like an idiot.

"Fancy seeing you here at this time. I thought you'd left?" 

With his immaculate strawberry blonde hair and Jackmansi green eye, Trevor grinned at me. 

"Not quite."

"Dungeon Outbreak halted stuff in Lengeheim?" 

 "Yeah. But I’ve got some bad news.” Trevor began with a crestfallen expression, his eyes averting away from my own. “Because of the Dungeon Outbreak, I’ve been assigned to help analyze the topography in a different part of Lengeheim. With Oriar's forces scattered around the continent, there's even less protection for non-combatants like myself. I'm afraid my chances of coming home alive have decreased exponentially."  

I hesitated for a moment before deciding to tell him. In the end, I decided to tell him since I might also not come back either. 

“Hey, Trev. I’m in a similar situation. I've been sent to investigate some Dungeon Veins. I don’t know if I’ll make it out alive either.” 

“When are you leaving?” 

“Tomorrow. I’m heading to Jannad.” 

"The Oasis City." 

I nodded. 

"Mmh. Also, I never exactly told you what I did prior to becoming a Receptionist, so I'll tell you now. While I did work in the Royal Court after graduation, I wasn't a part of the Royal Guard or Arcmagia Circle. I was a Specialist, an independent contractor hired by the Royal Court for my knowledge. More specifically, my knowledge of Veins." 

"Geez," Trevor scratched the back of his head. "I knew you were smart but not this smart. Imperium City Academy graduates are built differently. I figured you went down some Arcmagia route, but I'd never thought it would be in Vein studies. If I had gone to the Academy, I probably would've been at the bottom of the barrel." 

I rolled my eyes. 

"Don't beat yourself over that. Come on, at least you have a decent-paying job." 

"And I'm about to get killed doing my job. Well, it was bound to happen, but who am I to complain? The world's dangerous, and someone needs to take that risk, especially if it seems like it's gonna end." 

"Wow," I scoffed. "That's a depressing way to put it. Does your family know?" 

Suddenly, Trevor's face paled. 

"I don't have a family." 

"Shit, I'm sorry I asked." 

Trevor shook his head. 

"It's fine. I just never told you. Well, now you know." 

I didn't think happy-go-lucky Trevor was an orphan. It never even crossed my mind, but now it was clear why he never talked about his family. Perhaps I'm making a bold assumption; however, I had a gut feeling that there's something else going on. 

"That doesn't change anything. Just know that we care for you here at Do It Rai Cafe. You're basically family to us at this point." 

"Thank you," Trevor beamed. 

"Anyhow, when are you leaving?" 

"Tomorrow, as well. Won't be back for a month." 

"Ay same." I smiled, taking a big bit from my cookie. "In the meantime, let's be sure to stay alive. Care for the usual?" 

Trevor grinned, snapping his fingers together. 

"You know me well, Arian." 

"Gotcha'. It's on the house." 

"Even sweeter." 

SORRY FOR THE DELAYS EVERYONE. I GOT SICK, SO THAT'S WHY THE CHAPTER GOT DELAYED. So Arian is saying her farewells to everyone, which is sad as she leaves on her dangerous journey. We also learn a bit more about Trevor here, and it seems like he has quite a past of his own. Trevor and Arian only know the stuff between them in the past five years but nothing before then. If you are wondering how old the 'main' characters are, their ages range from 18-21. Arian is currently 19 going on 20. ALSO, THERE IS NO HAREM! THERE IS ONLY ONE LOVE INTEREST! MORE OF THE FEMALE CHARACTERS WILL APPEAR SOON! We'll now be leaving Imperium City, and I'll see y'all next chapter!

 

 

0