Chapter 2- Magic, Skills, and other Delusions, part 1
62 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There have been no other changes that I could tell. Even my moment of panic was starting to recede into the back of my mind. Yet my curiosity was left intact. I wanted to do something. I knew that much. It was why instead of a bundle of ripped clothing I chose to weave the bandage to hold myself together. That medkit I didn’t forget about doesn’t exist as far as I care. There is a nagging sensation that I notice only now. Not from melancholy or desperation. More of an… instinct? Yes! Instinct. That’s the feeling. I have no idea what it is that I must do but I know that I should. And, that staying here doesn’t accomplish that.

What do [zombie]’s even do? Shamble and eat. That has to be it. They, I mean we, barring exemptions are worse than idiots. We walk and hope for the best that food falls onto our laps. Maybe if I find food the feeling will stop? I might be able to focus enough afterward in order to use magic and get back home. It better be how it works. The whole mind and magic link people back on Earth obsessed about in fiction.

In truth, I just want to patch myself up with healing magic. Baby steps. With how my luck has been going I know my [HP- 5/10] having not increased after these past few days is going to make my life miserable. Shouldn’t I have received some sort of broken self-healing skill from sitting around and simply hoping to get better? I guess it would be too much of a cheat. Unless I die again, I am functionally immortal being undead. Right?

~~~

  “Well, if you don’t, you’ll end up hurting yourselves or other people by accident.” An old maid with the warmest of smiles said as she reassuringly tapped the shoulders of a skinny teenager. She turned around and began leading a group of maids, knights, and people dressed in half strange attire and half in the local fashion of this region.

The kid named Andrew looked backward toward three of his classmates, all with nervous looks on their faces. The image from a few days before remains vivid in their minds. Making them cautious of anything their benefactors would say. 

A flash of light had consumed him and what appeared to be half the classroom. In the next moment, they were surrounded by nobility in their most fabulous of attire, knights in glorious armor and corpses. Many hairy corpses scattered on the edges of a magical circle and hanging off cages from on top. Ears and claws could be seen on them.

Once the reverberations of the casting settled the attendants simply moved them aside to make way for the king and queen to greet the strangers. Pleasantries were made; lots of screaming. They were left alone in furnished abodes to make themselves acquainted with their new surroundings. To not exasperate them further.

Now, as two of the girls were clinging to one another and the others as stiff as a board, proper progress for integration was being forced on them.

“I ju-just don’t understand why you– “

“By the gods! You children still stuck on that?!” The maid exclaimed in annoyance. “Those beasts should be glad they were useful! Heard your world doesn’t have magic. So let me make this clear real quick. The low-born imbeciles fuck their goats and harlots bedding the bulls and those,” she spits, “abominations are created. A taint created when the world’s magic hits just right during a conception that would normally never be.

Best part is how the peasants still have the gall to complain about why we use force to educate them.”

“They’re the ones who allowed them to reproduce to the point of getting recognized by the system,” spoke a guard at the group’s rear.

“Even encouraged it. If the stories from the East are true,” Another maid sneered. She continued in a mocking tone, “Our dogs now have breasts. Even better!”

There was a round of chuckling from the natives escorting the group of other-worlders.

The heroes still couldn’t process what was happening to them and remained silent during the whole exchange. What could they do? They had asked themselves. They had been kidnapped and taken to a place with no foreseeable way home. The simple way the stars looked, the slight differences in the physical appearance of the humans of these lands, and even the taste of the air screamed at the heroes that this was another world.

With a continuous reminder that they were surrounded by trained fighters at all times. Equipped with weapons of war and armor to complement their positions of power. Whether it was intentional or not, the heroes had been in a constant state of anxiety just by being near them. Yet, slowly they adapted to their new circumstances by an unseen force pressing on their psyche. Calming them to the point where the most severely affected were no longer a blabbering mess.

Until today.

The group stopped in front of elaborately decorated double doors depicting waves being emitted from people, animals, plants, and so forth. A jewel of unknown origin rested in the center of the three-meter door. Surrounding it was a written language that expanded into a cobweb of intricacy without disrupting the artistic engravings. In a moment the jewel split and the doors opened without anyone making a gesture.

“Come in! Come in!” A voice from inside welcomed them. “Let’s make this quick and reduce the chance of another accident happening.”

~~~

After I stopped thinking about food, I realized I wasn’t in the same location. I was still in the foggy forest with the floor carpeted with tree roots. But now there were patches of grass with more than a handful of bushes around the area. The previous place was near barren minus the occasional moss.

The floor was relatively flat compared to where I had started from. I couldn’t see that area when I looked back the way I came. A rather visible trail of where I had been was there as if I was dragging my feet.

I clench my fists in anger. I know I shouldn’t be saying this now given everything that has happened. But this isn’t normal. It’s almost the same as when I was in a lull after dying. No! It was the same. The only times I started to act was when I had concentrated on something. Otherwise, I would stay there in one place, staring into nothing. Just like the other [zombie]s barely moving from their own spots. Unlike the [skeleton]s with the patrols who seemed to move with both purpose and direction.

Di- direction? I unclenched my hands and stared at them. I felt I had an epiphany.

I was on autopilot heading toward food.

That’s when my vision shifted and I could see something in the fog. It was as if staring at a vapor mirage on asphalt. A smell I could taste and feel. A trail of it headed in the direction of which the path I had made was leading at.

I know it was a bad idea to continue forward. The area I was in was a bit too high level for someone who just started out and is only [Lvl.1]. But still, if this world functioned with stats, then I couldn’t make excuses to hide, I needed to get stronger. Especially if my mind is going to go blank thinking about getting a meal. I need to use the time I’m coherent to push myself forward in survivability. Until I figure out how to counteract my braindead mind at the very least.

I would already be trying to gain a [stealth] skill if I had something to practice on. The dead quiet of the surrounding forest didn’t suggest that there was even animal life around. It wouldn’t hurt to hide away from the world and become invisible if that option ever came up. Having the broken [stealth] mechanics every single game has ever had with its sneak attack bonuses wouldn’t hurt either. Yep, definitely a goal I now have. I have convinced myself to cheese the system. If there was anyone around they would see an awkward smirk on my face.

But for the now? How can I do something that will help keep me alive? I mean undead. Everything so far has been around [Lvl.20] and I would assume that any prey would be the same. Following basic video game logic of course. Unless this world proves to me otherwise this is the logic I’ll stick with for now.

I take a brief look at my status again while making sure I don’t run into a tree as I give onlooking snails an ego boost with my blinding speed. Hmm. I don’t have a speed stat. Would it have been tied to [stamina]? That doesn’t make sense. Speed is from muscle propulsion or something and [strength] would… I have no idea what I’m talking about. I need to stop trying to overthink this and focus on short gains or I will get nowhere close to going back home. With the [undead] walking around I won’t put it past this world to also have [lich]s and other stuff. I’d rather spend an eternity in an isolated cabin with the internet than get curve-stomped by a [Lvl.100] rodent randomly passing by.

I could try focusing on [Strength] but what kept drawing my attention is the [skill points- 10] and it suggests there being a cash-in choice. I focused on it trying to figure out how I could do that and that is when a list pops into view. A very long list. As in, if this wasn’t a matter of me re-dying, I would easily skip even trying to read it. I mean it had mundane stuff like [climbing] and [digging] with close variations such as [terrain traversal] and [trench making] as I skimmed. RPG options of [dagger mastery], [accuracy], and [dodge] also appeared. Including other options I didn’t expect; them being [holy magic- NULL] or [mind magic- CORRUPTED].

That’s not subtle at all. But at least there is another stat with the “null” thing next to–

[Holy Magic- NULL

SP Cost- 1

A power weaved through faith. A mix of healing, shamanistic and orator classes bring together a potent elixir to the woes of the world. As a lesser version of [divine magic], it does not require a patron (of sufficient value) only a strong dedication to a core belief.

Compatibility: Unique, High

Warning!

Skill is marked as impossible to learn.]

…it.

“The hell does it mean that it’s good for me and I can’t learn it?!” I yelled and grabbed my head in frustration. Am I stuck having broken options? To hell with it! Why is [climbing] 90 points?! Where is basic running?! I can’t go anywhere like this!

I grab a rock in my rage and hurl it at the closest walking corpse. Once it hits between the eyes, I get another surprise pop-up.

[Skill: Precision, has been learned

Int: +1

Dex: +1]

If I can just learn stuff naturally then…

I start to run as hard as I could. My newfound movement from the [Dexterity] stat makes it feel like something is pulling on me rather than being in a thick soup. I actually feel something in my muscles instead. This slowing effect was coming from inside of me. I outstretched my arms in front of me, clawing and grasping, trying to swim through this existential muck. I push whatever I could through [strength] to force something, anything, to happen. A way to escape. A means to find and stay safe.

~~~

“Well, that’s the beauty of it! We don’t know!” Came from a middle-aged man with strands of white hair. “Your classmate Sarah, I believe it was her name, simply cast an explosive on her own face. No constructs or catalysts! Just like a master mage with years of intimate knowledge of his craft.” The old man was visibly shaking in excitement at this point.

In the same room, attendants were going back and forth behind him building what looked to be an altar in the center. All the furnishings were placed next to the wall shelves crammed with books to make room.

“Is she okay?” asked a girl from the heroes’ group, meekly.

“Nearly the entire church descended on her to offer aid,” a voice came from a backroom doorway on the other side of the room. It was a tall woman whose presence dwarfed even the escorting knights imposing auras. She wore a leather robe that accentuated her figure and flowed behind her as she moved with purpose. “We can’t allow the populace to see a hurt hero. What would the world say if you got damaged in our care? Especially being as low level as you are.”

“Morticia, a pleasant surprise!” said the old man. “Here I thought you fully melted into the shadows. I haven’t seen you in months.”

“It is my job not to be seen Bernard,” she says matter-of-factly.

“Has your paperwork at least seen the light of day?”

Morticia winced at the accusation. “I have assistants for that,” she mumbled.

“Will you two stop that!” reprimanded the maid. “You have four more groups after this one. Don’t forget his Majesty and the Pope need this done as well. Now behave properly for your position.”

“Ah, yes yes,” Bernard responded with a slight look of embarrassment. “Are you done?” He then asked his group of rushing assistants.

“We still need two more formulas, sir.”

“So, we have time.” Bernard begins to stroke his stubbled chin. “Where to begin. Where to begin.” He looks at the heroes now seated around one of the desks with even more books strewn about. His face contorts in thought for a brief moment before deciding to continue, “You are freaks of nature– “

A sharp snap reverberates around the room as the head maid’s hand hits the wizard in the back of the head. She proceeds to glare at him, “position,” comes out of her clenched teeth.

“Magic,” he says slowly, “requires these language squiggles. Runes you could say. Or script, maybe. I mean. Conventionally they still don’t make much sense in the grander scheme of things.”

“And, that is why I am here.” Morticia shoos Bernard away and toward what his assistants have been making. She takes a seat with the heroes with the maid taking a position behind her. “That would be the reason why he never took a teaching position. Please don’t think poorly of him. I assure you that he is quite capable.”

She takes in the view of the heroes before she continues. Andrew the frail kid with his glasses. A surprise for the veteran spymaster was that he was the one who came out to be the leader of the group. Another not present would have been her first choice. Here he is trying to stare her down. Was it his upbringing that makes him defend his comrades? Or was it his possible [hero] class?

The two girls clinging to one another, Daphne and Mia. Morticia already hated Daphne. As the reports showed, she had the same appearance and mannerisms as Bernard’s wife. With her long black hair and gentle demeanor, it kept reminding her of the bitch who still wouldn’t agree to let her become his second wife. Morticia had to remind herself that she wasn’t the same person. That it was good for the world to have someone like Daphne that genuinely felt concerned for others. Besides Andrew, she was the only other one to have spoken so far. A testament to her resilience given their circumstances.

Mia is of an ethnicity she had never seen before. Morticia had no idea what to think of her. Mia had been one of the few to still not recover from their shock and barely said a word the past few days. But the way she continued to cling to her friend suggested that she wasn’t going to get any information from her for a while.

The last one was a young man that would have put some of the junior knight recruits to shame. With his bulky exterior and toned body. He was one of the few people that reached her own height. Enriko? Enrike? Enrique? A foreign name that sounded similar to one from the far away continents Morticia didn’t have any operations in. He was the one who was curiously scared stiff.

“You are far more special than we initially thought. We decided to give you time alone if you wished it to get your bearings together. Not only the court but the pope himself did not expect for your bodies to adapt at such a pace.”

“I’m sorry ma’am but, how does this help with our friend?”

I’ll rip his fucking eyes out. Ma’am?! I’m not that old.

“The name is Morticia. As I said earlier, all the best healers came to her aid. She won’t even have scars.”

There was a smile from her lips before a pair of books were brought and placed in front of her. She grabbed the thinnest of the two, at most fifty pages in it, “this is a basic guide to [fire magic]. Before you interrupt, know that this explanation is heavily simplified as to why we brought you to get your potential measured.”

“This,” she continued as the larger book was raised, “is a decent enough rundown of [advanced fire magic] for someone who has been out of practice.”

The heroes looked at the book that was as thick as a fist and wondered what this had to do with anything. They had been told that one of their classmates had been self-hurt and wanted to see her. There was a brief mention as to a danger they could do to themselves and had wondered if they were being placed on suicide watch. But this. Meeting in an obviously important room, with people that could afford to behave nonchalant in front of important guests, while those of lower standing were watching, had caught them off-guard. The impromptu lesson was never mentioned. Right before they were going to begin to question if they were tricked, Morticia pointed at a spot behind them.

“And, as you have been told. Your friend blew off her own face.” The heroes winced as that was said. “Third shelf from the bottom. All of that is for an evolved form of [advanced fire magic]. [explosion magic].”

Morticia stopped to let the ramification of what she just said to sink in. Heroes were favored by the all-encompassing system. Whatever mechanisms that made them the chosen ones also gifted them a chance to go beyond the mundane. Past the limitations that even the nobility held with their cumulative knowledge in advancement. Obtaining significantly more powerful skills than a fresh beginner would receive in their chosen craft. Prodigies is what came to her mind. Bernard came up at this moment and notified her that the ritual area was ready.

“It wasn’t even a spell. A simple channeling of raw power through the natural affinities that her body had. Because of the way the magic manifested, without it being a spell or skill, it was not given the system bonuses. The damage she unintentionally caused herself was not as serious as it could have been. We need your details in order so we can avoid further accidents.” Morticia got up and headed towards a pedestal the apprentices have gathered around.

“No training at all,” said Bernard. “Like a human with a mana core.”

There was a visible pause in the room after he said that.

“It bad?” Came a gruff voice. The spymaster Morticia looked back and saw it was the large kid that had spoken.

“I- Is it bad?” he repeated with concern in his voice.

“Oh, no. No. Simply an impossibility.” Morticia tried to reassure him.

Bernard spoke up, “Now come along our glorious heroes. The full status appraisal ritual is complete. Won’t take more than a minute to jot things down.”

“Status?” asked Andrew. “Do you mean the boxes with names and numbers next to them?” His eyes glaze over for a moment before he says, “Class, [hero]. Skills, [radiant dismissal]. Those things?”

 Bernard looked as if he was going to pass out. “Direct access to the system,” he whispered to Morticia. “Could you imagine it? The natural knowledge of magic handed to them with the ease of use of a mana core?”

~~~

[Skill- Powered Rush acquired]

[Skill- Overflow acquired]

[Special actions completed,

Warning:

Unable to compensate. Prerequisite missing. Rectifying…]

[Please evolve to administer mana core.]

Didn't notice that formatting doesn't carry over that well the first time. I'll edit the first chapter. Do tell me if the status location is easier to read on mobile this way or the other in the poll!

Left Align or Central for Status Screen? Get weird and go right?
  • Left Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middle Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Right Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 2
3