Chapter 127: Gift Selection
264 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blue, pink, yellow, white, and many more. Fabrics and cloths of all color and texture filled each and every corner of the store. Even just when viewed from outside, one could already tell how beautiful it was, much less when one gets inside. It was a fantastics place for all textile needs.

In front of such an amazing store, two figures stood motionless as they stared at the establishment before them. Although their eyes were fixed on the store and its products, their minds were on another place.

They were none other than Grey and Yuna who are currently out shopping for what they will be gifting Kris and Aria on their wedding. Going out without much plans in mind, they were at a loss at what to do. Neither of them knew what to buy nor what to do. It was all brought by Grey's thoughtless suggestion.

They were also in their disguises once again. While it was fine to go about normally on the streets, it was different when it came to shopping. Every time they go inside stores, the employees would always become stiff and surprised hence countermeasures were taken.

"Grey... You just wanted a shopping date, didn't you?" [Yuna]

Yuna's questioning stare boring a hole in him, Grey's eyes immediately swam to another direction, scratching his cheeks a little out of guilt. He tried his best to hide it from Yuna, but with how much time they had spent wandering aimlessly, it was bound to be found out.

To start their shopping spree, they headed straight into the market to have a light breakfast. After that, they went around a few places and enjoyed themselves there. In other words, they have only been having fun and have yet to touch the main purpose of their shopping.

"It seems I have been found out, huh..." [Grey]

Grey could only give in to Yuna's stares. Now that he was busted, there wasn't much he could do about it. What was important was that the two of them had fun. It was a successful morning.

"Geez... You should have told me before if you wanted to have a date. It's not like I'm going to say 'no', anyways..." [Yuna]

Mumbled Yuna in a low voice as her cheeks started to burn bright red. She cannot deny that she had a lot of fun. Just spending time together with Grey was enough for her to be happy. If possible, she wanted to go on dates more often.

Of course, Grey felt the same as her. Seeing how cute and adorable his girlfriend was acting, he couldn't help himself but pat her head gently. It was something Yuna liked as well. Her cheeks became more flushed when Grey did so.

"Alight, alright, I'll tell you next time, but... For now, I guess we should head to the "Rabbit's Den" for now, huh?" [Grey]

"Hm? Why so?" [Yuna]

Grey's hand still on top of her head, Yuna tilted her head a little as she wondered about the former's suggestion. She looked so adorable that Grey thought his heart was going to explode because of cuteness overload.

"Well, we need some advice on what to buy for a wedding gift, don't we? I figured Mister Gerd and Missus Selia would know a thing or two." [Grey]

"Ah, I see! That does make sense." [Yuna]

"Right. And while we're at it... should we get ourselves an early lunch as well? I'm getting famished." [Grey]

"Un!" [Yuna]

Happy expressions on their faces and their hands link with one another, their feet finally moved after quite some time of standing still. Their destination was to the southern streets where the "Rabbit's Den" was located.

On the way, they stopped by a couple cafes and pastry shops, buying themselves some sweets and desserts for them to enjoy. They bought quite a lot for the journey ahead and for Gerd and family to taste as well.

Cling Cling Cling

Soft chimes resounded like music in the air as soon as Grey and Yuna opened the door to the inn. The first one to greet them was Helen's slightly surprised face which soon turned into a big smile.

"Hello~!" [Yuna]

"Yuna! Grey! What brings the two of you here?" [Helen]

"We're happy to see you as well, Helen. As for the reason... Is Mister Gerd and Missus Selia still working?" [Grey]

"Mom and Dad? Yeah, they're in the kitchen. Are you going to cook something delicious again?!" [Helen]

A bright expression bloomed on Helen's face with her eyes gleaming with sparkles. It has been ingrained in her subconscious that whenever Grey mentions something about the kitchen, she'll get to eat a delicious dish.

Grey could only laugh wryly at Helen's expression, feeling a little guilty over how he transformed a perfectly normal girl into a little glutton. He started to wonder whether it was some sort of curse. After all, Yuna and Eliza were also the same.

Unfortunately for the aforementioned excited girl, it wasn't the reason why Grey and Yuna visited the inn for the day. She couldn't just be any further from the truth.

"Sorry to burst your expectations, but no... Actually, we're here to look for advice. Though it seems we'll need to wait a little bit for that." [Grey]

"Aww... No food, huh..." [Helen]

The moment she heard the word "sorry", Helen's hopeful heart was immediately and mercilessly crushed. She was so distraught that she didn't even hear the latter parts of Grey's statement.

She simply returned to behind her desk with a little dejected expression. Well, it was one which didn't last long. She quickly cheered up when Grey offered her some of the cake they just bought. It was a strawberry shortcake.

While it was earlier than planned, Grey took out a couple more cakes from his "Inventory" and placed it on top of the reception desk. The three of them enjoyed a sweet snack time whilst chatting happily with one another.

Time passed and the customers started pouring in. Helen had to go assist her parents in the dining hall, leaving Grey and Yuna alone with each other. Soon after, the lunch rush subsided and everything went back to normal.

"I heard you needed something from us, Grey, Yuna." [Gerd]

Greeted Gerd as he removed the cloth covering his head. Behind him were Selia and Helen who were currently taking their rest, seating themselves along one of the tables, clearly a little exhausted from their recent activities.

"Yeah, well... It's more like we need advice." [Grey]

"Advice? For what? Did you two get in a fight again?" [Gerd]

"No! Not at all! Would we be heading here together if we were fighting?!" [Grey]

"Hahahaha, just kidding, kidding." [Gerd]

Despite being similarly tired like Selia and Helen, Gerd still managed to let off a hearty laugh. As for the two in the receiving end, they were a little embarrassed, remembering what their fight was about.

"Mister Gerd, that was mean..." [Yuna]

"Hahaha, sorry, sorry... Anyway, that advice you were talking about... Let's hear out the problem first. I'll do my best to answer it." [Gerd]

"Thank you, Mister Gerd." [Grey]

From start to beginning, Grey and Yuna explained their circumstances to Gerd. Soon after, Selia and Helen joined in and they also listened to what they had to say, nodding their heads in silence from time to time.

Even Helen, who has yet to attend any marriage ceremony was interested in the topic. She acted as if she was an expert regarding such things, relying on the knowledge she obtained from the plethora of romance novels she read whenever she was free.

"You're a smooth one, aren't you, Grey~? Luring Yuna to a shopping date without her knowing about it~. Such a bad boy~!" [Helen]

"Helen's that's... Well, I just thought it was nice to go on a date. And also... What's wrong with having a date with your girlfriend?" [Grey]

"Oh, nothing~ Nothing at all~!" [Helen]

Rather than giving them advice, Helen enjoyed teasing the two of them more. As for her parents, Gerd and Selia, they were thinking seriously about how to respond to Grey and Yuna's worries. Their years of marriage aren't for nothing, after all.

Even then, they weren't able to give an immediate answer. While they knew of Kris and Aria's names, they didn't know them personally, and so, they didn't know what kinds of things they would like. All that came to mind were general gifts one would see in all sorts of weddings.

There was also the fact that not only were the groom-to-be and bride-to-be, just like Grey and Yuna, they are also hailed as heroes of the kingdom. There was no way they could just half-ass their answers.

"Right, Grey, Yuna, before coming here... What kinds of things have you thought of giving them?" [Gerd]

"Umm... Furniture, appliances, and such, I guess... But I doubt Mister Kris and Miss Aria would have any troubles affording them." [Grey]

"For me, I thought of gifting them fabrics and a few accessories, but..." [Yuna]

"But you have the same problem as Grey." [Gerd]

"Un... I'm sure Mister Kris and Miss Aria could afford them. I wanted to give them something special if possible." [Yuna]

The hurdle only became higher after Grey and Yuna's statements. What they talked about were the general items people gifted people during weddings. Apart from it, there were paintings, luxury items, and food, but then again, they were things which would depend on the taste of the receivers.

There was one thing which came to Gerd's mind, but he wasn't sure if he should suggest such a thing. After all, the newlyweds might feel mixed emotions after receiving them. There was no way he could suggest aphrodisiacs and the like.

"Oh! I get it!" [Gerd]

A deep voice echoed across the inn, accompanied by a sudden clap. While it might cost a hefty sum to buy rare and top quality ones, with how wealthy Grey and Yuna were, Gerd was sure they could afford them.

"How about wine? I think they would appreciate a good brew." [Gerd]

Like thunder on a clear day, Gerd's suggestion resounded loud and clear inside Grey and Yuna's minds. Being reminded of the postscript Kris had written previously, it was the perfect gift they could give.

Neither of them may be knowledgeable about such things regarding alcohol, but they knew someone who would. It was only this time that they saw how important and valuable having connections were.

"Then since you're gifting them wine, how about some sweets too? I think they would like those chocolates you had us try a couple weeks ago?" [Selia]

"Ah! How about a music box?! I've read of it countless times. I think it'll work out perfectly." [Helen]

One after another, more and more ideas came to mind. Some were perfect, some were vague, and some were straight up absurd. The one who pitched in the most suggestions was Helen who was only relying on her romance novel knowledge.

In the end, Grey and Yuna settled with a few things amongst the suggestions given. There was wine, chocolate, a music box, tea, a blender to be made by Grey, good fabrics, and one which Grey just thought up of. He was going to be busy making a couple magic tools.

The tool that Grey was thinking of was something which was quite common back on Earth. He wanted to give it to them so that they could commemorate the day of the wedding. Well, it was something he also wanted to make for him and Yuna to use. He felt very motivated.

"Are all of that alright? We could pitch in more ideas if you want." [Gerd]

"No, it's more than plenty. Thank you." [Grey]

"Don't mention it. Just drop by if you ever need something again." [Gerd]

"Yeah! Our doors are always welcome!" [Helen]

Warm smiles appeared here and there as everyone waved their hands goodbye. Now that they knew what they wanted to gift, Grey and Yuna once again headed straight to the shopping district, their hands linked with each other once again.

The first place Grey and Yuna went to was the clothing and fabric store they were staring at a couple hours ago. Just from the storefront, one could already tell they were only selling fabrics of high qualities.

Upon entering, they were greeted with colors with vibrance and saturation they never knew existed. Silk so smooth it flows like the wind and wool products which already looked fluffy from far away. Even the store curtains were of high quality.

Not only silk and wool, there was also cotton, linen, satin, chiffon, fur, and more. Some were plain, some embroidered and some were already turned into products. There were a lot of types to choose from.

Grey and Yuna's heads turned around left and right, up and down, and to anywhere their interests were drawn. They weren't experts in fabrics and such, but even they could tell that it was a good decision to enter. Every product they saw was beautiful in their own rights.

"Welcome to Farfelle's, how may I serve you?" [Employee]

Before they even noticed, Grey and Yuna were already in the middle of the store. They only snapped back to reality when an employee called out to them, a bright business smile forming on her scarlet lips.

"Ah, we'd like to buy some fabrics. Do you have something smooth to the touch, soft and comfortable, light, cool, and tough. Ah, it would be nice if it's easy to clean as well." [Grey]

To Grey's demands, the female employee was made to think for a bit. While there were a lot of fabrics which met the first four descriptions. For coolness, toughness, and ease of cleaning, it was a little tricky.

While silk can fulfill the easy requirements, it is very delicate. For ease of cleaning, there was linen and satin. For coolness, cotton. But for toughness, fabrics with such quality aren't usually smooth, soft, and light, such as denim Grey often wore back in his high school days.

Well, such standards only make sense when one talks about Earth's standards. In Merusia where magic exists, it was completely different. Even if Grey and Yuna fail to find one, they could just buy normal fabric and riddle it with enchantments.

"There are three fabrics which match the descriptions, but they are quite expensive. Would they be fine with you?" [Employee]

"Yeah, it's fine." [Grey]

"As you wish. Then, please follow me." [Employee]

Just like their shopping date back when they were shopping for furniture and such, the female employee led Grey and Yuna to the place where the said fabrics were located. It was along the right where various fabrics were stored in open cabinet-like shelves, rolled up neatly and tucked in inside.

After arriving, the employee searched for a certain item code amongst the ones printed over the shelves. She only stopped when she found a white fabric, taking out a little sample for Grey and Yuna to see.

"This is Rimmel Cotton. Its specialty is thermal regulation. No matter what the weather or how the temperature is, it maintains a constant temperature. It is very soft as well, perfect for summer clothing." [Employee]

Explained the female employee as she handed the cotton fabric for Grey and Yuna to touch. Just like the employee said, it was very cool to the touch and its softness was something which could be compared to the familiars' fluffiness when they are in their wolf pup forms.

"Now, here is silver spider silk. They are made of spider silk spun by Rheter spiders. It is known for its extreme durability and stretchability despite being smooth and soft. It can even endure knife cuts and fires." [Employee]

The second one was an absurd fabric. Being made by beasts, it was very resilient to physical and natural elements. Forget getting it ruined, making products with it using normal means was impossible. One needs magic tools just to trim and weave them.

If it was back on Earth, only a few synthetic kinds can rival it. It was the perfect fabric for secret protection. While it can't protect from impacts and such, no sharp objects can pierce it. Even bullets would only feel like a very heavy punch. It was like natural kevlar, only lighter.

"Finally, we have Samsara. This is a newly invented fabric from the west. While not as resistant nor thermally regulated as the other two, it offers a unique characteristic no other fabric does... It doesn't let liquids pass through nor stick with it. The same goes for small particles like dust and dirt. In other words... It's completely resistant to all kinds of filth!" [Employee]

"A-Amazing!" [Grey]

"Waah~! It's so soft as well!" [Yuna]

Grey and Yuna couldn't hide their surprise at the employee's words. Having such a fabric would save a lot of time in the long run. Even when they can use magic, it is still a hassle to clean. It was a product everyone would surely love.

Amongst the three fabrics presented, Grey and Yuna were torn apart with the Rimmel Cotton and Samsara. While the Silver Spider Silk was good, they have no need for such extreme resistance. It would only be troublesome to process.

"Alright, we'll take the Rimmel Cotton and the Samsara!" [Grey]

"Great choice, dear customer! That would be 1,900 kiels per square meter of Rimmel Cotton and 2,300 kiels for the Samsara." [Employee]

"Ah, yes... Then we'd likeー Eh?" [Grey]

It had a little delay, but when Grey realized how high the prices were, he was frozen in shock. It felt like his chest stopped. He already expected it, but they really were very expensive. Just a single square meter could almost devour a normal person's monthly salary.

Even back on Earth, Grey's most expensive clothing did not come close to a tenth of the amount. It was more and shocking, it was stupefying. Not only him, but Yuna felt the same as well.

"Is... there something wrong?" [Employee]

"A-Ah, not at all..." [Grey]

Said Grey as he hesitantly chose to purchase the fabrics. In the end, they settled on buying rolls rather than per meter as the former was cheaper. Even then, after buying two rolls each, they almost arrived at a total of 200 thousand kiels, more than a quarter of their house's worth, including the furnishing.

While Grey and Yuna still had billions in their pockets, spending an amount which could buy a pretty comfortable property was still shocking. It was their most expensive purchase, not to mention they were only 4 rolls of fabric.

"Here's your change. Please check if everything is alright." [Cashier]

"... Yes, it's perfect." [Grey]

Said Grey as he put the change and the fabrics inside his "Storage Ring". After all, it would only do no good walking around with such expensive items. They would only be targeted by ill-mannered people, not that it stands as a problem for them.

With his business finished, Grey's eyes wandered around the store in search of a certain someone. It was Yuna who had gone out of his sight again. He only found her when he looked at the far left side, looking curiously at some clothes.

"Aprons...?" [Grey]

"Ah, Grey...! Are you done with everything now?" [Yuna]

"Yeah... These aprons, do you want to gift it to them as well?" [Grey]

"Un. I was thinking it would be useful once they settle down." [Yuna]

Following Yuna's answer, Grey also looked at the aprons available. They were of pretty good quality and felt smooth as well. Just like Yuna said, they would be pretty useful for newlyweds who had just settled down.

"Ah! But I did find something which may be more appropriate. Come here, follow me!" [Yuna]

Without any warning, Yuna grabbed Grey's hand and they headed into a nearby aisle. The latter just went along with her without much resistance. Though the moment he saw what Yuna was talking about, he was a little surprised.

"Baby... clothes...?" [Grey]

"Un! Since Mister Kris and Miss Aria are going to marry, isn't the next step having a family? This would be perfect!" [Yuna]

Enthusiasm was present all over Yuna's face as she explained her train of thought. While she wasn't wrong, married couples wouldn't have a baby immediately after marriage. Even if Aria was pregnant, it would still take 9 months. It was too early for such gifts.

"No, Yuna, that'sー" [Grey]

"I wonder what Mister Kris and Miss Aria's first child will be? Will it be a boy or a girl?" [Yuna]

"Yuna, listー" [Grey]

"Ah! Maybe they'll have a twin girl and boy! Grey, what do you think?!" [Yuna]

Grey tried time and time again to bring Yuna back to reality, but the latter was already off to her own world. Grey couldn't even finish his words because of Yuna's endless rambling. Yuna only stopped when...

"Oh! What a young couple!"

"Are they newlyweds?"

"Oh my, they're looking at baby clothes. How cute~!"

... the voice of other customers reached her. Before they even noticed, they have already become the center of attention. After all, when such a beautiful and young couple are looking at baby clothes, it was only bound to cause misunderstandings.

Realizing the situation they were in, Yuna's face quickly turned bright red. She quickly placed back the bib she was holding on to where she got it and shied away behind Grey. As for Grey, he was the same case.

"Y-Yuna, I think we should head to another store already..." [Grey]

"U-Un... Agreed..." [Yuna]

Their faces flushed red, Grey and Yuna exited the store, all the while the ladies who were talking about them looked at them warmly. It took them quite some time to calm themselves down. It was another unforgettable and embarrassing memory.

CHAPTER 127

5