Chapter 202: One Rainy Day
120 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crackle Crackle Drizzle Drizzle

The sun is nowhere to be seen, only dark and ominous clouds drifting slowly in the sky, quick flashes of blue and white streaming towards the ground, loud thunders following soon after. The day was gloomy,

The rain graced down the ground, the sound of trickles and drizzles to be heard. It was a heavy downpour, only a few people walking on the road. The sight was obscured by the mist brought by rain, not much visibility as the rain continued to pour.

A lone, big house, standing lonely in a grassy area, only a couple houses neighboring it and a single path leading towards it. The roofs, garden, windows, and balconies, all were wet and slippery. The mood only getting gloomier by the second.

In such a big house, a certain elf looked over the window, staring ever so curiously, hints of dejection to be seen. She continued to stare outside and the rain continued on pouring. All she could do was heave a sigh of resignation.

"Hmm... Looks like the rain won't be going anytime soon..." [Yuna]

Of course, that elf was none other than Yuna. It has been a couple days since they helped out Helen, and now, they are stuck in the house, unable to do anything. They were planning to go on a quest too. Such a shame that the weather has other plans.

Yuna sat back down the couch, a sulking expression painted on her face. The day she so looked forward to was now ruined, only boredom remaining in her heart. Her eyes drifted away towards the kitchen where another youth was, mixing and stirring a couple ingredients and tasting them soon after.

She wanted to hug him tightly but was also too lazy to move away from the couch. A certain emotion of laziness was sprouting in her heart as she continued looking at her beloved, heart torn apart by love and laziness. Laziness brought about by gloom and the heavy rain.

'Should I play some games? Maybe I should cook... No.., what if...' [Yuna]

Staring at the ceiling, Yuna thought of ways to relieve herself of boredom. Be it playing games or simply cuddling with the familiars, there were many she could think of. Yet no matter how much she thought of it, she barely had the energy to do them.

Well, she wasn't the only one. The familiars which would usually also be playing around were now resting on the floor and couches, huddling with one another, also not having enough energy to play around.

Ring Ring Ring

But just when all seemed hopeless over, the phone started ringing. High pitched bells and chimes drifted in the air, waking up the some sleeping furballs and drawing Yuna's attention, her eyes painted with laziness drifting towards it.

"Arcturus... The phone please..." [Yuna]

"Yes, Mistress." [Arcturus]

Well, even if it aroused Yuna's interest, she was still too lazy to move from the couch. Thankfully, the familiars were there to assist her. It wasn't long before Arcturus got the phone and handed it over to her.

"Hello... Yuna here..." [Yuna]

「Ah! Elder Sister Yuna! Good morning!」 [Eliza]

Even then... Even when it was raining so hard you'd just want to slack off, Eliza's energy was still through the roof. Yuna couldn't see her face, but judging from her voice alone, it was clear that she was smiling brightly from ear to ear, excitement flooding her heart.

"Mmn... Morning, Liz... How's your day going?" [Yuna]

「It's been going well! I just finished my morning studies and got a perfect score! Father said he'll buy me something as a reward!」 [Eliza]

"Fufu... That's good to hear." [Yuna]

Just like that, Yuna and Eliza chatted their time away. They talked about a lot of things from their daily lives all the way to some absurd experiences they wanted to share. Of course, goofy stories were also mixed in from time to time.

Unfortunately, Yuna could only hear Eliza's voice on the other side. School already started more than a week ago and Elise is now back at the Royal Capital to attend the Royal Academy, now as a year 3 student. She is back on her busy days.

Well, even if it's only Eliza, Yuna is already more than satisfied. Though she and Grey receive daily reports from Polaris, hearing her voice and experiences from her own mouth just hits differently. Yuna was satisfied.

"Oh, right. By the way, Liz, where's Fritz? Is he busy?" [Yuna]

「Father? Un, he's been busy nowadays. He always receives a lot of paperwork and couldn't even sleep properly. I'm worried.」 [Eliza]

"Hm? Did something happen?" [Yuna]

「I don't know. But from what I heard, he's been helping the nearby provinces that's why he's been busy. Father said it would continue for a few more days.」 [Eliza]

Territory management, it was something neither Grey nor Yuna had experience nor extensive knowledge about. The only thing they knew was that it was hard and very troublesome which would require a lot of time and effort.

It was fortunate that Grey and Yuna didn't receive any territories from the King. Not only will they become vassals, their time would also be cut down by a significant margin. It truly was the right decision to just settle down with money. A decision they will never regret.

Time passed once more and the call only became longer. Soon, Polaris and the other familiars joined their talks and things became much livelier. Though Eliza isn't really acquainted with Vega and Capella, they still managed to get along quite well.

「Ah! It seems I'll have to go now, Elder Sister Yuna. Sebastian's calling.」 [Eliza]

"Fufufu. It's okay, we can talk again next time." [Yuna]

「Un! We'll talk lots and lots more!」 [Eliza]

Eliza said with such a big and excited voice, silence following afterwards. But Eliza didn't end the call, rather, she only stayed quiet. It wasn't the awkward nor eerie kind of silence, but just plain silence. It was clear that Eliza still wanted to say more.

"Hmm... Is something wrong, Liz?" [Yuna]

「No... Umm... There is but... I don't want to sound selfish...」 [Eliza]

There were traces of hesitation in her voice, clearly trying to restrain herself. Having known Eliza for several months already, Yuna could already take a guess about what she was thinking. Still, she wanted to hear it directly from her mouth,

"Fufufu! It's fine to be selfish. You're still a child, after all! Come now. Let this Elder Sister of yours hear your worries." [Yuna]

「Uh... Umm... When are you going to visit again...?」 [Eliza]

And Yuna was right. Be it her family or friends, Eliza has always been quick to miss those she cares about. Though she tries her best to keep strong, there are just times where she wants to feel the warmth of those she deemed precious to her.

It was only natural. After all, with both her mother and older sister away in the capital, and her father busy with work, a child like her would easily feel lonely. Especially when she's a noble whom not many people can approach so casually.

Though the servants always cheers her up, there's still a little bit of an invisible wall between her and them she has yet to completely break down. She couldn't confide with them like she does to her family and friends. She only wants to feel their warmth and comfort once again.

「A-Ah, sorry, Elder Sister Yuna! I-I'm really fine! There's nothing toー」 [Eliza]

"Okay. Would next week be fine with you? I promise we'll visit as soon as we can. I'll talk to Grey later." [Yuna]

Eliza couldn't even finish her words, when Yuna suddenly decides on the answer. Silence soon loomed over both sides of the phone as the former tried to process the latter's answer. The silence was broken as soon as she realized.

「R-Really?! You'll visit?!」 [Eliza]

"Un! Of course! Anything for our cute Liz!" [Yuna]

「Promise?!」 [Eliza]

"Un! Promise! Look forward to it, okay?" [Yuna]

It was as easy as that. Eliza's mood i proved by leaps and bounds as soon as she heard Yuna's answer. It was clear from her voice that she couldn't control her overflowing excitement, obviously smiling from ear to ear.

Eliza filled with happiness and Yuna smiling warmly, the call continued for a couple more seconds before it ended. The last thing Yuna heard was the excitement-filled voice of Eliza, a giggle resounding clearly in the air.

"Hnng... What should I do now?" [Yuna]

Asked Yuna as she stretched her hands and arms towards the ceiling. The boredom and laziness Yuna once felt was now gone after talking with Eliza, seemingly infected by the little girl's enthusiasm. She is now as energetic as usual.

Well, it's not like she had many choices to begin with. With the familiars resting and Gray cooking, there were only a handful of things she could do. And amongst them was making a "few" treats for herself to enjoy, happily heading towards the kitchen.

"Hmm~ Hmmn~ Mmn~ Hmm~!" [Yuna]

Humming to herself, Yuna opened the shelves and cabinets one by one and got a couple ingredients from them. She also went ahead to the refrigerator and freezer to get a couple fruits for herself. Soon, the color of rainbow filled the table as fruits and ingredients filled it to the brim.

Of course, what sweet treat would be complete without any sugar. That was the last one Yuna took, but rather than a smile, there was only shock on her face as she opened the cabinet for sugar.

"Eh?" [Yuna]

The cold wind blew and Yuna froze. There were no bags of sugar to be seen. In fact, the cabinet was very empty, just like a barren wasteland. A little touch of cobwebs and dead insects everything would have been perfect like those in cartoon shows.

"Grey, where's the sugar?" [Yuna]

"There's none. We're out of sugar." [Grey]

"Liar! I just saw you use some a few minutes ago!" [Yuna]

"That was the last bag and it will be used for our meals only. We won't be having any desserts until we can buy more." [Grey]

That was the last nail. After Grey said those words, all life and colors faded from Yuna's eyes and expression. She was in so much shock that she was frozen. It was as if her mind was sent to space, lost in oblivion.

"Grey... Just a cup please... I want to eat sweets..." [Yuna]

"No, and that's final. I won't change my mind even if you beg." [Grey]

"Uuu... Grey, you meanie..." [Yuna]

An iron wall has been erected. No matter how much Yuna tried to use her charms and innocent eyes, it was useless. Grey was resolute to not give Yuna the last bag. It was everything they got left, after all.

It has been more than a month since Yuna's sugar ban was lifted, but since they've been in the Labyrinth most of the time, it is still in effect. It was also the reason why their sugar supply is always dwindling at a rapid rate. Grey is now seeing the consequences of his promises.

With Grey not budging, Yuna could only use the natural sweetness of the fruits to satisfy her cravings, cheering up quickly as soon as she took a bite of the strawberry. She was like a little chipmunk stuffing fruits in her mouth.

"Grey, try this strawberry! It's really sweet!" [Yuna]

"Really? I'll be having a taste then." [Grey]

"Un! It's really good! Here, ahh~!" [Yuna]

It was as if nothing even happened. Grey and Yuna quickly got back on friendly terms only after a couple moments, even flirting openly as Yuna spoofed Grey, and Grey doing the same soon afterwards. Just like a stupid couple.

It was hard to tell if their relationship is harmonious or they are just stupidly head over heels for one another. But Grey and Yuna rarely have any arguments, and even if they do, it is quickly resolved, not even a couple minutes later. Such a happy couple.

The clock continued ticking and so did the downpour. The cold winds wafted through the city, howling ever so gently and dancing ever so gracefully. There was also the occasional croaking of frogs and the drizzle of the rain, making a peaceful lullaby.

As such coldness continued, steaming heat came from the kitchen as Grey and Yuna cooked with each other, making plenty of dishes as usual. Be it grilled, fried, braised, or stewed, they made a plethora of stuff to fulfill their gluttonous desires.

"Oh, Grey? Are you cooking some lasagna again?" [Yuna]

"Yep, and I'm putting extra cream and cheese this time. Is there anything more you want? Any toppings or fillings?" [Grey]

"Ah! Then let's increase the number of layers! More and more!" [Yuna]

Of course, to make up for Yuna's lack of treats, Grey made sure to prioritize what she wanted and made sure to deliver. If one were to see how extreme and exaggerated the dishes they made, their eyes would surely pop out of their sockets.

Well, it wasn't in a bad way. One should think of it like those modifications one wants in their favorite dishes. It wasn't long before the course was complete, the table was filled to the brim with the most mouth-watering dishes one could think of. It was the very definition of heaven.

""Thank you for the meal!!""

And what else follows after cooking? Of course, it was time to eat! Without any wait, Grey and Yuna quickly took slices and servings of the dishes and placed them atop their plates, wolfing them down quickly afterwards.

"Mmn~!! Grey, this is the best!" [Yuna]

"Of course, we spent a lot of ingredients in it, after all. Here, try this one, too. I'm sure you'll like it." [Grey]

"Un! Sure!" [Yuna]

Well, rather than just eating, they were also flirting ever so confidently. There was the regular spoon feeding, the wiping of lips, and the teasing smiles. It was so sweet that if one were to eat with them, they would feel sick and awkward. It was as if they were the only ones in the world.

Everything would have been perfect if there were sweet desserts to go along with them, but all the refreshments they could afford to make were some fruit juices made of pure fruit extracts. Still, they were already satisfied.

"Ahh... That was delicious..." [Yuna]

With their lunch finished, Grey and Yuna were set to do their own tasks. It was Grey's turn with the dishes so she stayed in the kitchen and cleaned up after. As for Yuna, she is once again lazing around on the couch, a smile full of satisfaction painted over her face.

"Yuna, don't lay down just yet. We just finished eating." [Grey]

"Mou... Just this once please~!" [Yuna]

"Yuna... Really... What am I gonna do with you..." [Grey]

"Teehee!" [Yuna]

A naughty giggle dancing in the air, Yuna continued to laze and slack off atop the couch, now cuddling with the familiar. With the cold wind blowing, their warmth was perfect to make one feel comfortable.

It was all well and perfect up until she remembered an important note. It was her promise towards Eliza which she hasn't told Grey yet. She was so happy she almost forgot to tell him about it. It was almost silly.

"Ah, right, Grey." [Yuna]

"Hm? What's the matter?" [Grey]

"Actually... I made a promise with Liz just now. I said we'll visit her next week... Sorry, I just decided on my own." [Yuna]

Her voice was smaller than usual, shying away from Grey as the latter continued washing the dishes. There wasn't too much to think about. He simply raised his head, arriving at a clear answer soon afterwards.

"Hm? Isn't that alright? I also think it's fine to visit every once in a while. We could also buy that Kiria candy from before." [Grey]

"Really?! No takesy-backsies, okay?" [Yuna]

"Of course. What use is there lying to you?" [Grey]

There was no more need for negotiations. Grey simply accepted Yuna's proposition. Not only does he want to see Eliza and taste some Moterno treats again, he also has something to ask Fritz.

What does Grey want to ask? He simply wants to get some counseling regarding his idea to publicize cellphones, cameras, and the likes. He didn't want to make reckless decisions, after all. He doesn't want any disastrous outcomes.

The afternoon continued and even when several hours had already passed, the rain still continued falling, not looking any lighter than before. Rather, it seemed like it only came down harder, the symphony of the rain getting louder.

And what better way is there to spend the afternoon than playing games? Grey and Yuna spent their time playing various games, winning and losing almost evenly, and just spending their time having fun.

"Yaay~! I won again!" [Yuna]

"That makes it four to four, doesn't it? Only one more game left." [Grey]

"Hehe! And I'll win the next game! You can now call me a master!" [Yuna]

Full of confidence, Yuna puffed her chest proudly and made such a declaration. She was no longer the Yuna who always loses. She was now a master of many games, not losing out to Grey's skills.

With the game finished, as the loser, Grey once again shuffled the deck and cut the cards, looking like an experienced gambler and hands moving at inhumane speeds. But he couldn't even distribute the cards, when Yuna suddenly opened her mouth.

"Wait, Grey... Couldn't we just use gates to go to Moterno today?" [Yuna]

It was a very obvious question, yet one Grey failed to consider. He has been relaxed so much that he hasn't really thought of using it anytime soon. It was only when Yuna asked him that he remembered, feeling a little stumped as silence loomed over the room.

"Ah, well... Should we do that then?" [Grey]

"Un! Let's do that!" [Yuna]

Not dwelling on his embarrassment, Grey quickly stood up and opened up a gate before them. Its destination was none other than a forest nearby Moterno. It would just be plain stupid they suddenly popped up out of nowhere, after all.

"Then, I'll be going on first." [Grey]

Said Grey he entered the gate, making sure that there was no danger. Well, rather than danger from monsters, he was watching out for the off-chance that there will be people where they pop out. The gate wasn't transparent, after all.

Of course, as extra precaution, Yuna casted her "Nihility" on both Grey and the gate, covering many of the problems with ease. And so, Grey appeared on the other side of the gate, a green forest welcoming him warmly. There was just one slight problem….

Thunder Thunder Drizzle

it was that the Landevar territory was neighboring the Aldridge territory. Meaning, if it was raining in Galderia, there was a very good chance that it would also be raining near Moterno. Unfortunately for Grey, that good chance happened to happen at that moment.

As soon as Grey exited the gate, he was quickly drenched by the rain, thunder and gales resounding all over. It was a situation he could have avoided if he only used his "Eyes of Destiny". Such a shame he didn't.

『Grey, is everything fine over there?』 [Yuna]

What's worse, Yuna's question came ringing inside his head as soon as he was drenched. He just couldn't be bothered anymore, only enjoying the heavy downpour as he looked up to the sky littered with dark clouds.

『Grey...?』 [Yuna]

『Ah, no... Everything's alright.』 [Grey]

『Okay. I'm heading out then.』 [Yuna]

A mischievous smile showing on his face, Grey didn't even stop Yuna as she stepped foot inside the gate. As one would expect...

"I'm here!ー" [Yuna]

... Yuna got drenched as soon as she went out. The excitement on her face quickly faded as soon as she felt the cold from the rain. Now, there was only shock and confusion as she processed what just happened.

"Haha. Sorry, I just wanted to play a little prank on you." [Grey]

Well, with Grey confessing to his crimes, it wasn't hard figuring things out. Yuna then looked at Grey, not angry nor disappointed only, just puzzled. An expression which didn't last long as Grey leaned over to her, whispering softly to her ears.

"Well, even if you're drenched, my Yuna is still the cutest in the world." [Grey]

It was super effective. What took over was a flustered expression as her heart raced wildly. Even when the rain and wind was cold, she could only feel warmth, her face turning beet red in just a couple seconds.

"G-Grey! What are you saying?!" [Yuna]

"Well, it's just you're so cute, I couldn't help teasing you." [Grey]

"Grey!" [Yuna]

Voices of excitement and embarrassment echoed in the air along with the howling of the wind and crackling of thunder. Two people danced in the rain, completely drenched yet happy, smiles floating on their faces.

The rain soon ended and when Grey and Yuna returned to their senses, their outfits were already in a state which is in no way presentable, mud and rain water all over them. And so, they decided to delay the visit. Yet another memorable experience.

CHAPTER 202 END

4