Prologue: In a world of Magic and Metal
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the distant past, there lived a mighty technological world. At its height it had explored the world beyond its planet. One day, a portal appeared and tore apart what they had known about the world.

Now, the mighty technological world of the past has taken a more vibrant and fantastical turn.

...

Warmth. A feeling I haven't felt in a long time. Where am I? Oh. 

I woke up like any other day. I walk lazily over to my bathroom. Blond hair and green eyes, a sight that I have not gotten used to. As I washed my face I recalled everything that I could remember. 

I was a boring art designer working in an average game designing company. I had just finished modeling another boss for our newest game when I felt a sudden pull in my soul. I tried to ignore it but it kept worsening all the way from work to home. 

When I tried to ask the internet for help a black dot suddenly appeared in my peripheral vision. Before I could react further, It suddenly expanded in my vision and the everything went dark. 

At that moment I suddenly recalled everything in my life. A revolving lantern so it would seem. I saw faces I barely recalled in my memory. Mom, Dad and a few others but they felt blurry to me. Was this it, all I could recall in my life? Just a bunch of fuzzy silhouettes? Then, everything went black.

After that I felt nothing. No pain or emotions. That was until I felt a light that flashed in the horizon. 

When I tried going closer to the light I felt the light flicker. As I came closer to the light, I could slowly feel sensations flowing through me. When I finally came close enough, I saw that the light was a small orb that I felt a connection with. 

The moment I made contact a blinding flash of light burst into my field of view.

When I opened my eyes I noticed a great fire consuming the room around me. I jolted up and ran out of my room to see two men floating in the air. One wore a red robe and wove weapons made of flames. The other had a black suit and various black ornament and a black great sword that hovered next to him. 

Then, the man in red flicked his right arm as his various flame weapons launched toward the man in black. In that same instant the ornaments around the man in black morphed into armor which protected him from the flame weapons as grabbed the black sword. 

As I saw the fight, unfamiliar memories flew into my mind. terms I had only known in fiction suddenly appeared in my mind. Magic, sages and beasts that looked familiar with very striking differences as well as the life of a kid named Al.

As I finally sorted out the information, the fight between the two mages had finished. A red robe filled with minor cuts and minimal bleeding versus heavily broken armor with some heavy blood loss could easily reveal who the winner of the confrontation was. As the man in the red robe aimed his various red weapons at the prone figure, he suddenly turns and fires a beam behind him. Sudden ripples in space revealed another man cloaked in black wounded from the attack and quickly fleeing.

When the red robed figure turned back around to face the enemy he had wounded he saw that he had left while he had his back turned. Scowling, he rose up into the sky and flashed of like a red bolt of lightning.

After that I looked around the destroyed surroundings that now seemed more familiar in memory as a sudden blow of dizziness caused me to collapse on the floor. When I finally reawakened, I noticed myself in a hospital room with various familiar and unfamiliar medical devices. 

A nurse then came in and told me about some tragic news. In the fight between mages, my family had died leaving me an orphan with a livable fortune. Although I had not met these parents, I felt a twinge of sadness and guilt. Afterward they told me that since my home had been destroyed by a malicious mage, I was given some compensation in the form of two gold. 

The gold here was worth a hundred silver with each silver equaling 100 coppers. A single gold coin would be enough to feed a family of four for a few months and some splurging here or there. Three coppers could get you an alright meal and tens of copper a night could get a decent two bedroom apartment in some places.

I came back to the house and had someone called to help fix the house as I went through my memories again.

I came to a world of magic and technology known as Forice. In this world there are various jobs that sort of resemble an rpg class system. There are mages with magic, warriors with unreasonable strength, priests with abilities given to them from the gods and even some powerful robots and mechs built by legendary mechanics. 

As I saw through all this I took an interest in mages. It seemed that the original host of the body had also taken an interest based on the various books about magic and mages in his room.

Afterwards I took to mainly studying about mages and learned that most people here choose their careers in high school. It was then I learned that I would be going to high school once I had everything in my current life settled.

Now after a month of getting my life together, I happened to be on time for high school. My body's parents had already enrolled me in a high school and done all the paperwork beforehand. I requested and received my school ID before admissions for convenience.

About this new world, I learned that I am living in a cluster of islands known as the Wharf cluster which named after Isaac Wharf the one who had discovered and explored these islands. Most of the wizard knowledge in these islands was information from him.

It was currently in the Age of Agnis 1723. The Age of Agnis is known as the age of and reign of the black dragon king Agnis, who currently is seated at the top of the world's council. Apparently every 2000 years at the latest, the top of the world council chooses the next head of the council. 

Although this world has both technology and magic, the world remains in semi feudal order. Although there is technology and information exchange, the royalty and nobles still hold a sizable amount of strength and influence over the common folk.

Now, I finally am ready to go forth to high school and to my new life in this magical other world.

1