friends
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Beginning only a year ago, your presence was initially soft.

Much like the winter's first snowfall, you drifted silently, fluttering in the background, so perfectly out of focus, until you built up with frost.

This added weight forced your flight to come to an abrupt end, entering my life and landing by chance on my skin.

My warmth melted you, nurtured you even. I took you in with open arms and practically wrapped you in fresh linen.

Nothing was overthought, only thoroughly enjoyed as the days passed by.

Yet, as we grew closer I felt my heart start to beat differently, and addressing you as only a friend out loud burned as if it was a lie.

No, I shouldn't feel this way.

No, it's wrong.

Stuck in my overly-affectionate ways, I'm probably a brother at best.

Your heart was taken by one so lucky, I longed in my nightmares to be in her place as my last request.

I picked up the pieces and mended it for you when she tore you in two, claiming that you treated her as nothing more than a casual acquaintance.

My mind aches to see the comparison of your words toward her versus me, a desperate need to sprint through a maze that doesn't seem to have an end.

You once felt like a big brother, someone whom I knew would protect me and I would fight to keep safe just the same.

Now, even the littlest things you say creep into my mind, the words rolling off of your sharp tongue on a subconscious mission to infect.

I'll never tell you; out of fear of rejection and cowardice I'll run from these feelings.

I'll pretend they're not there, as if I'm not in desperate need of your healing.

We'll go on like this until you get sick of me and leave me behind to pursue your hopes and dreams, innocently crushing me with every step you take away.

In every tale involving two birds of a feather, one of them breaks free sooner or later. Whether it's because they wanted to or they were driven by fear remains unknown.

Your intentions are pure, I know that for a fact. For that reason I'll continue to surround you with the affection you deserve but haven't been given.

Only friends- nothing more, nothing less.

My true feelings will remain locked up, this withering heart bleeding for you silently in its bone prison.

2