CHAPTER 75: RAINBRIDGE ESTATE BALL
951 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

INNER CAPITAL WESTERN WING – RAINBRIDGE ESTATE

 

*CLIP-CLOP*

*CREAKING* (sound of carriage)

 

The loud sounds of horses’ hooves, striking a cobblestone path and carriage creaking wheels, resounded in the air as multiple horse-driven carriages, drove towards a grand building in the distance. And in one of those carriages, two sisters are in an anxious state, as it is their first time attending a high society party.

 

“… it's been almost thirty minutes since we entered the Estate, and we still haven’t arrived at the ballroom yet…”

Lily said in an anxious tone as she opens the blinds and gazed out the carriage window. What she saw left her in awe—an expansive landscape adorned with grand buildings and structures.

 

“Wow... This is a duke's estate... it's so huge! It must be larger than two districts in the outer capital... I wonder just how much larger their estate in the Western territory is. if the one in the capital is already this massive!”

Lily said with an excited tone and expression as she imagines its size in her mind. (Ps: A district in the outer capital, is as large as a town.)

 

While Lily was lost in her thoughts, envisioning the size of the estate. Cyra, was staring into the distance with a vacant expression, lost in her own thoughts.

 

“It's been ten days since I pledged my loyalty to Her Highness Helena, and during this time, many lords and ladies have come to visit, bringing gifts and smiles. But, I know that these gestures are not expressions of support for Her Highness but rather demonstrations of allegiance to the empress. Well… I can’t blame them for their ignorance. Since they do not know Her Highness’ true power. Nevertheless, as a devoted servant and follower, it is my duty to gather loyalists and supporters ready to assist Her Highness upon her ascension to the throne… And with my ability, I can gather future talents that Her Highness can use… This is the reason I accepted the invitation to this party, where young lords and ladies from houses across the Imperial capital, Eastern, Western, Northern, and Southern territories are gathering. I just pray to the Goddess I meet the right person on the first try, since I can only use my ability once.”

Cyra said in her mind, with a determined expression.

 

*********************************************************************************

SIX MINUTES LATER- ARRIVAL AREA OUTSIDE THE BALLROOM.

 

The carriage came to a stop, and the coachman, attired in a well-fitted dark coat and a distinguished brown top hat, descended from the driver's seat.

 

*CRUNCH*

 

His brown leather boots crunched on the gravel-covered ground as he made his way to the carriage door with brisk, purposeful steps. With light, deliberate taps, he then knocked on the door.

 

*KNOCK*

*KNOCK*

 

“Miladies, we have arrived at our destination.”

The coachman announced in a respectful tone as he grasped the carriage's door with its finely detailed silver handle and swung it open.

*CLICK*

*CREAK*

 

 Revealing a warmly lit wine-colored interior with two beautiful young ladies seated on luxurious seats. They were adorned in exquisite pink dresses, a combination of lace and delicate embroidery.

 

“...”

However, upon opening the door, the Coachman could not help but stare in a daze, enchanted by their beauty.

 

“Ahem!... Sir Robert?... are you okay?”

Cyra asked, her expression filled with concern as she observed Sir Robert’s distant expression.

 

“Oh no! My apologies, miladies! Please forgive my disrespectful manners.”

Robert said, snapping out of his trance upon hearing Cyra's words. He quickly bowed his head in apology.

 

“Please raise your head, Sir Robert, you have done nothing wrong.”

Cyra reassured him with a gentle and kind smile.

 

“??”

Hearing the Lady’s words, Robert raises his head to look at her face with a surprised expression.

 

"How can a noble be so kind to forgive a servant's mistake so easily?... I've spent many years infiltrating noble houses and disguising myself as a servant. I've witnessed how nobles treat servants, as if they were nothing more than slaves or tools to be discarded at whim, simply because they were commoners... But this noble lady... instead, of becoming angry at my actions, she smiled... I think I understand why the Guild master asked me to protect her."

 Robert thought to himself with a slight smirk. (Note: The Guild master doesn't know anything about this 'reason').

 

“Thank you, milady… if I may.”

Robert said, extending his hand to assist the ladies down from the carriage. Lady Cyra was the first to take his hand and stepped down, followed by her sister, Lady Lily.

 

*THUD*

*THUD*

 

“Thank you, Sir Robert.”

Cyra and Lily expressed their gratitude simultaneously, both wearing smiles. After they had disembarked from the carriage.

 

“It is my pleasure to be of help. I hope you enjoy your wonderful night miladies.”

Robert said in a graceful manner, tipping his hat. He then climbed back into the driver's seat and guided the horses forward, pulling the carriage deeper into the estate's grounds.

 

As the carriage departed, Cyra and Lily directed their attention to the grand building before them.

 

“Wow...! So this is what the Duke’s Ballroom looks like... It’s almost as grand as the Imperial Palace’s.”

Lily exclaimed in an excited tone, gazing at the building with a sense of awe.

 

“…”

Meanwhile, Lady Cyra stared at the building with unwavering eyes, her expression filled with determination.

 

—-------------------------------------------------------------

BALLROOM ENTRANCE.

 

In front of the Ballroom entrance, four knights stood, with two positioned on each side of the entrance doors. Standing between them, at the center, was a figure dressed in a black butler suit with a silver brooch adorning his chest, and his emerald hair setting him apart.

 

“Good evening, ladies. May I have your invitation card?”

The butler asked with a respectful tone and professional smile, extending his gloved hand.

 

“Oh, here you go.”

Lily said, offering the invitation card with a polite smile.

 

“…”

After receiving the card, the butler's expression subtly changed as he read the names on it.

 

“... you are lady Cyra and lady Lily of house Branigan…”

He paused, his gaze turning slightly suspicious as he looked at the sisters.

“Is there something wrong?”

Lily asked, noticing the subtle change in the butler's expression.

 

“Ah, no. there is nothing wrong. I was just ensnared by the beauty that the ladies of House Branigan possess. Please excuse my manners. You may enter the ballroom.”

The butler replied, offering a polite smile as the knights opened the doors.

 

 *CLICK*

*CREAK*

 

“...”

However, Cyra didn't believe his polite facade, as she could discern the type of look he had in his eyes while gazing at her and her sister. Nevertheless, she chose to ignore it and walked past him with her sister into the Ballroom.

 

*STEP*

*STEP*

*CREAK*

*BANG*

 

After the ladies entered the Ballroom, the knights closed the doors, and the butler's expression swiftly transformed from a kind smile to one of disgust.

—----------------------------------------------------------------------

INSIDE THE BALLROOM.

 

*CHATTER*

 

Lively chatter resonated throughout the Ballroom as nobles exchanged pleasantries and indulged in gossip.

 

“Hehehe… that’s an interesting story. I too, would like a taste of a forest girl. If you don't mind, could you send some my way when the lockdown is lifted, so I and some friends, in the south can enjoy ourselves.”

 

"Ah, speaking of the lockdown, when do you think it will be lifted?... I mean, we've been confined in the capital for ten days... haven't the assassins been apprehended yet?"

 

"Assassins?... I heard it was a confrontation between His Majesty and an unknown expert... and it seems, His Majesty lost and was wounded by that expert."

 

“What?! Is that true!? Then isn’t—”

 

*CREAK*

 

A loud creaking sound resonated as the Ballroom entrance doors swung open, drawing the attention of some of the nobles who turned to see which noble it was that arrived.

 

"Wow, who are those stunning beauties?" one curious noble wondered aloud.

 

"Don't you know? they are the daughters of Viscount Branigan and a commoner."

Another replied, his tone carrying a hint of disdain.

 

"Disgusting. Why are such filth invited in here?"

A third noble chimed in with a haughty expression.

 

"I suppose if you cling onto the coattails of a halfling princess, you can ascend in the world,"

 Another noble sneered, inciting a few chuckles from his companions.

 

The nobles whispered loudly, their voices carrying a mixture of curiosity and disdain, as Cyra and Lily made their entrance into the Ballroom.

 

*STEP*

 

“???”

Hearing their hurtful words, the cheerful Lily's expression shifted from joy to gloom. Her confidence waned as she felt the piercing and disdainful gazes from the nobles in the hall.

 

*GRAB*

 

“Sister... maybe it wasn’t a good idea for us to come after all.”

Lily whispered, her fingers clutching her sister's sleeve as her eyes remained downcast.

 

“...”

Cyra turns her gaze to her sister and sees her state, then she grabs Lily’s hands, showing a reassuring smile.

 

*SWISH*

 

“Is that expression because of what they're saying? ... You and I have always known that the nobles would never accept us because of our commoner blood, but even so, we've never needed their acceptance in the first place. We've survived until now without a single helping hand from any of them... So let them keep saying whatever they like; it won't be long before they regret their words.”

Cyra whispers to Lily with a determined expression, with her head held high.

 

“…”

Lily couldn't help but be in awe of her sister's words and confident demeanor, but she could also sense her sister's anger by the tight grip on her hand.

 

*STEP*

*STEP*

 

 

The loud sound of footsteps reverberated through the hall as a dark blue-haired young man made his way toward Cyra and Lily. Each step he took resonated, capturing the attention of the nobles in the hall.

 

The nobles quickly erased their sneers and redirected their focus to the source of the footsteps, their expressions now filled with a mixture of fear and respect.

 

"My name is Phames Winterwin. May I have the honor of knowing your name, my lady?" Phames asked in a gentlemanly tone as he approached Cyra, took her hand, and gracefully kissed the back of her palm.

Hi guys, hope you are enjoying the story. I want to give a big shoutout to Timothy, Liam Curtis, Teresa, Miles Carlson, and RealCosis. for their amazing support on Patreon. Your ongoing encouragement is truly appreciated! If you would like to support, read ahead, or suggest character names check out my Patreon. patreon.com/Samjoe

22