CHAPTER 79: WAR PREPERATIONS!
444 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A WEEK LATER. GIGGIDON EMPIRE - IMPERIAL PALACE - THRONE HALL

Assembled in the throne hall were the Counts, Marquesses, and Viscounts—mid-ranking nobles integral to the empire’s governing body, known as the Lower Council. Historically, this governing body held little significance, as decisions about the empire were primarily made by the High Council, comprising the emperor, Chamberlain, the four dukes, and the Tower Master. However, due to recent events, the High Council is currently unavailable.

“Vice-Captain, are you certain that this information is correct?”

Empress Selene asked with a curious and concerned expression while staring down at Sir Kane from the throne.

“Yes, Your Majesty. It is information we received from our spies in the Thorka empire who risked their lives to get us the information. Additionally, we cross-checked the information with our informant within the Thorka Empire to ensure there were no gaps in our knowledge. As we speak, the Thorka Empire has initiated the mobilization of their army and is expected to reach our southern border in seven days. With an army of nine hundred thousand knights, led by Archduke Lelouch.”

Kane reported. Standing before the empress at the audience chamber.

‘What?! How is it possible for Thorka to possess that many troops in their army?’ a nobleman in the audience chamber said with a surprised tone.

‘Last year they barely had over five hundred thousand,’ another nobleman added.

‘What is there to panic about? We still possess more numbers than they do.’

‘The Marquess is right. Just because they have a sudden increase in the number of knights should not be a reason for concern.’

‘But have you all forgotten? They have an Aura master, and it’s the

‘Dark Knight of Death.’And From the rumors going around, we might not even have an Aura master.’

‘Hey, Viscount Lorins, please be careful with your words. Indulging in rumors is not something someone of your position should do.’

‘Hah, rumor? Even rumors are based on some truth. And seeing how the one sitting on the throne is not the emperor, I am starting to think the rumors are true. I mean, think about it—such a significant incident happened at the border that is about to bring about a war between us and the Thorka Empire, and still, there is no sight of the emperor.’

‘If what Viscount Lorins said is true, doesn’t that mean the empire might be in danger? Without an Aura master, we would be no match for the Thorka Empire, even with more knights.’

“QUIET!!” Sir Lancelot, head of the empress's guard, yelled in a commanding tone. Bringing the entire hall to silence, while standing guard in front of the steps leading to the throne.

“I'm aware that there are concerns circulating regarding the absence of His Majesty and the Lord Chamberlain …”

Empress Selene stated, her expression hesitant as she took a momentary pause.

"... But, I regret to inform you that the rumors are true. His Majesty, the Emperor, Lord Chamberlain, and the Magic Tower Master were ambushed by unknown powerful enemies who severely injured Lord Chamberlain and used some unknown sorcery to put His Majesty in a coma. However, there's no cause for alarm; our top medical mages and doctors are attending to them, and recovery is only a matter of time .”

Empress Selene revealed with a reassuring tone and expression.

‘What?! So the rumors were true?’

‘How many enemies attacked his majesty.’

‘What does this mean for the empire? Without an Aura master, how do we stop the Thorka empire’s Aura master?’

“Vice-Captain!”

The empress exclaimed in a commanding voice, bringing an immediate hush to the entire hall.

“Yes, your majesty”

Sir Kane, answered.

“In the event of war, does the Imperial Army possess the capability to overcome the forces of Thorka's Empire, including its Aura master? ”

Empress Selene asked with a serious tone and expression.

“...Yes your majesty.”

Sir Kane affirmed with confidence and determination, his tone and expression unwavering.

"...In that case, the 'Crown' will fully support the Imperial Army with all its power,"

Empress Selene declared, reassured by Sir Kane's commitment.

"Heed my command!"

The Empress declared, dramatically stretching forth her hand to issue an order.

"We heed!"

All the nobles and knights responded simultaneously, bowing their heads in unison.

"The budget assigned to the Imperial Army shall see a thirty percent increase. Additionally, all noble houses are required to contribute thirty percent of their fiefdoms' resources and military forces to support the Imperial Army in safeguarding the empire. Furthermore, I am issuing a knight summoning order,"

Empress Selene declared with a commanding tone, exuding the elegance and grace befitting an empress.

"As you command, Your Majesty,"

All the nobles replied respectfully to the Empress's orders, though some harbored discontent beneath their courteous demeanor.

"Impressive. By implementing the knight summoning order, Her Majesty effectively thwarted the nobles' attempts to send only their weakest knights as part of the mandatory military force. No knight would willingly forego such a rare opportunity to amass wealth and, perhaps, even earn a noble title.

Moreover, with the summoning order allowing independent knights to join the Imperial Army temporarily during wartime, no noble would dare hinder a knight from enlisting. I initially believed that in the absence of His Majesty and the chamberlain, Captain Izaak would have to play a pivotal role in preventing the empire from descending into chaos. That's why I attempted to dissuade him from leaving the capital. However, it appears the captain was already aware of the Empress's leadership capabilities. Yet, even if she proves to be a competent leader, she is, after all, still a woman...”

Sir Kane pondered quietly to himself.

"You may all leave,"

Empress Selene commanded, dismissing all the noblemen.

"Except for you, Vice-Captain Kane,"

Empress Selene added, halting Sir Kane as he was about to depart with the other noblemen.

**************************************

FEW MOMENTS LATER.

*RUSTLE*

*PITTER-PATTER*

As the final noble exited the Throne Hall, the resounding noise of the grand doors closing filled the air.

*CREAK*

*BANG*

"Vice-Captain, has there been any progress in your investigation into identifying those responsible for massacring the entire Snowmill city while posing as Giggadon Empire soldiers?"

Empress Selene inquired with a serious and inquisitive tone, her expression reflecting concern.

"Your Majesty, as Snowcity is within Thorka Empire's territory, our ability to conduct a thorough investigation has been limited. However, from the scant information we've gathered in the aftermath of the massacre, there were indications of the empire's distinctive sword and blade skills employed to eliminate the knights guarding the city. It appears the perpetrators intended to make it conspicuous, possibly to draw attention from the Thorka Empire, and-"

Kane reported with a hesitant tone and expression.

"...And what about the city lord and the commoners? Were they killed in the same manner?"

Empress Selene inquired, noting Kane's hesitant expression.

"No, Your Highness, they perished in a different manner. Even our spies found it challenging to articulate, so they resorted to using an image stone to capture what they witnessed,"

Kane explained as he summoned a hand-sized silver-colored crystal stone device from his storage ring.

"This is the image stone containing what was seen, and I advise you to brace yourself, Your Majesty,"

Kane warned in a respectful tone, as he extended his arm, presenting the stone in his palm.

Sir Lancelot stepped forward, taking the stone from Kane. As he turned around, ascending the throne steps, towards the empress.

*THUD*

*THUD*

"Your Majesty,"

Sir Lancelot said, presenting the stone to the empress, and then descended the steps to return to his post.

[The 'image stone' is a magical tool similar to the 'storage ring'; it does not require the user to provide mana for activation, as a mere thought is sufficient. When activated, a small floating screen emerges from the prism crystal, displaying the stored images.]

*VROOM*

“GASP!”

Empress Selene gasped in shock and terror at the images she saw on the screen.

“...Are you alright, Your Majesty?!”

Hearing the empress's gasp, Lancelot turned his gaze to her with a concerned expression and asked.

“I am fine, Sir Lancelot. I was just surprised, that's all,”

Empress Selene replied, her expression returning to normal.

"As you can see from the image stone, Your Highness, the lord and the people in the city did not die from an attack as the knights did. Instead, it appears they were subjected to experimentation, with some having their bodies deformed and transformed into something far from human. Others seemed to be attacked by some sort of beast that tore their bodies to shreds, rendering them unrecognizable. This is likely why the Thorka Empire believes we are responsible. The scene can be interpreted as the work of a mage, coupled with our knights' techniques, serving as proof. It seems to be a deliberate plan to frame the Giggadon Empire,"

Kane explained.

"Have these images been shown to the Tower Master? He could help identify the mage responsible and determine the type of magic used,"

Empress Selene inquired.

"A copy has been sent, but we haven't received a reply yet,"

Sir Kane replied.

"When you do receive a reply, please send someone to report the findings to me. Though they are not citizens of the Giggadon Empire, they are still human, and I'd like to ensure justice for them by capturing those responsible and punishing them for their heinous crimes,"

Empress Selene declared with a serious and determined expression.

"Yes, Your Majesty,"

Sir Kane affirmed, bowing his head.

 

Spoiler
[collapse]

CH 80

“-BZZT... I am KENNEDY CLAYLEDGE, and I would like to discuss the terms of your surrender-”

15