CHAPTER 81: GERALD’S DEPARTURE
608 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ONE WEEK AGO,
CENTRAL TERRITORY OF THE GIGGADON EMPIRE - PENDULUM CITY - WESTERN DISTRICT - A CERTAIN QUAINT COTTAGE.

*RUSTLE*
*RUSTLE*
The sounds of clothes rustling could be heard as Gerald gathered his garments and other necessities into his burlap sack. 
 
"I can't believe a knight summoning order was issued, calling all knights, affiliated or not, to join the imperial army. In the great Giggadon Empire, there are two types of knights: the certified knights who passed the imperial knight order barracks requirements, becoming grandmasters in their three years as trainee knights, and the Vagabond knights, who could not meet the requirements of becoming 'Grandmaster' within their three years as trainees..."

Gerald thought to himself as he finished stuffing his bag with the things he needed. Then he closed it by tying the mouth of the bag with a rope.

*RUSTLE*
*SWISH*

"...and I am one of those knights who became a grandmaster after my three years as a trainee. Though it was a feat to be celebrated, by then it was too late, and I was already out of the barracks, only to become a Vagabond knight—or, as the nobles refer to us, 'mercenaries'... OOF."
Gerald thought to himself before grunting as he carried his heavy burlap sack and hung it on one shoulder. Then he walked towards the doorway.

*SWISH*
*THUD*

"The reason we are called mercenaries is because that's exactly what we are. Armed men who would do any petty, odd, or even disgraceful work in exchange for financial compensation. Unlike certified knights who are paid monthly by the empire and the nobles they serve, we mercenaries only get paid after completing the work request we get from the mercenary guild or from a private contract. And the money we gain from the work we do is barely enough to feed us and the people we care most about... family."

Gerald explained as he opened the door and walked out of his room into the common area, where he saw his pregnant wife standing beside his 8-year-old twin son and daughter.

*CREAK*
*SWOOSH*

"Daddy, do you really have to leave? Lyra doesn't want Daddy to leave,"

 Lyra said with a wobbly voice, a hint of desperation making it shaky, like a leaf caught in a breeze. Her eyes, big and round, welled up with tears that threatened to spill over. She stared at her father with an earnestness only a child could muster, as if the strength of her gaze alone could work magic. 

"Keug!... my heart. How can I make my little princess wear such a sad expression?"

 Gerald said in his mind, feeling a tug at his heart. He clutched his chest momentarily as he quickly dropped his bag on the ground and hurried to Lyra. Kneeling as he got close, he held her close. 

*THUD*
*SWOOSH*

"Daddy is also sad to leave, but this is something Daddy has to do," 
Gerald said, his thumb delicately wiping away the tears streaming down Lyra's cheeks. The tender gesture carried the weight of unspoken reassurance as if his touch aimed to console not just the visible tears but also the hidden ache within their hearts. 

"When Daddy returns, you, your brother, the coming baby, and your mother will be able to eat as much meat as you want, wear clothes you like… just know everything will be better once I return-"

"LIAR!!..."
 Raul yelled, interrupting Gerald. His expression angry as he stared at his father.

"...I HEARD FROM THE GROWN-UPS IN THE TAVERN THAT MERCENARIES WOULD BE SENT TO THE FRONTLINES OF THE BATTLEFIELD AND USED AS CANNON FODDER BY THE NOBLES! THEY SAID THE ONLY FATE MERCENARIES THAT JOIN THE IMPERIAL ARMY HAVE IS TO DIE ON THE FRONTLINES! SO WHY WOULD YOU LIE TO LYRA AND SAY YOU WOULD RETURN?!! CAN YOU PROMISE THAT YOU WILL RETURN?!" Raul asked, his voice loud and charged with anger. His eyes bore into his father with an intense, accusatory glare, demanding answers and assurances.

"..."
 Hearing Raul's words, Gerald could only offer a silent response, his gaze holding a weighty solemnity. A stillness settled in the air, his inability to answer his son's question speaking louder than any words he could muster. 

"Heh... I knew it, you are just a big, stupid liar! I HATE YOU!" 
"Raul! Don't speak to your father like that," Amira reprimanded upon hearing Raul's words. However, Raul paid no heed, hastily made his way to the front door, swung it open, and bolted out of the house, his sister running after him. 

*PITTER-PATTER*
*SWOOSH*
*BAM*

"Sigh…"

Gerald sighed loudly as he stood up, wearing an unhappy expression as he stared at the open front entrance where Raul and Lyra had just run out. He watched the old wooden door creak loudly as it closed slowly. 

"Even the door leading into my house is old and detached. Raul, how can I let you, your mother, sister, and the coming baby continue to live in this type of environment? Sooner or later, something bad might happen… and by then, it would be too late for any regrets. I know you might not understand my decision right now, but I believe you will understand in the future," 
Gerald thought in his mind, with a serious and worrying expression, while clenching his fist tightly. 

"..."
Observing Gerald's troubled expression, Amira's eyes softened. She followed his gaze down to his tightly clenched fist, a silent acknowledgment of the turmoil within him. Without uttering a word, she moved closer, walking beside him. In a gesture of understanding and support, she gently took his hand into hers, a silent reassurance woven into the touch. 

*GRAB*

"!!"
Surprised by the sudden warmth enveloping his hand, Gerald's attention snapped to his right side. There stood his wife, her presence offering a comforting solace that spoke louder than words. 
 
"Hehe, you didn't even notice that I was beside you until I touched your hand. You are always absentminded when you are worried…" 
Amira said, with a gentle smile. Pausing for a moment, she took Gerald's hand and placed it on her stomach.

"...Can you feel that?"
Amira asked, her eyes lighting up with joy as she directed Gerald's attention to the subtle movements beneath his hand on her stomach. 

"Heh... Hahaha, I can feel him moving in there! Hahaha," Gerald exclaimed with a happy smile, his expression lighting up as he sensed the baby's kick within Amira's belly. The shared joy between them created a heartwarming atmosphere, momentarily overshadowing the worries that had burdened Gerald's mind. 

"Hehehe, baby did you notice your daddy's hand is no longer ttensed."
Amira said with a smile, placing her hand over Gerald's.

"...Hehe, I thought I had gotten rid of this habit, but it seems… Sigh, I don't know what my life would be without you, my dear Amira?"

Gerald said in his mind as he stared at his wife with a loving gaze for a while. 

****************************************************
FEW SECOND LATER.

A few seconds passed by in silence as Gerald stared at Amira, reminiscing about his life with her and worrying about the future. However, his thoughts were interrupted by a loud knock on the front door. 

*KNOCK*
*KNOCK*
*KNOCK*

"HEY GERALD, you ready? The others are done packing and are waiting for us outside the city."
Gray called out with a voice audible through the front door. 

"Ah, it's seems it time for you to leave."
Amira said, looking into Gerald's eyes with a sad smile. before shifting her gaze down to his chest, a tender touch in her movements as she fastened Gerald's chest plate's belt.

*TIGHTEN*

"Yeah, it seems so…"
Gerald replied, the reluctance evident in his tone as his gaze lingered on Amira.

"...I will miss you, won't I?"
Amira asked, her voice carrying a tinge of sadness as she continued to tighten the chest plate belt.

*TIGHTEN*

"Hmm… yes you would."
Gerald replied.

"Hahaha… you won't be here when our daughter is born… I know you will be very sad, won't you?" Amira asked, with a shaky and sad voice. 

"...A girl...? I thought it would be a boy?" 
"Hmph, it's not a boy. I saw it in my dreams; she's a beautiful girl like her mother and sister,"
Amira huffed, her voice carrying a pouting tone that was laced with a mix of pride and tenderness. 

"I am sure she is"
Gerald replied, a smile on his face.

"..."
A heavy silence hung in the air as a few seconds passed. Amira said nothing, her gaze fixed on the ground. The only audible sounds were the teardrops hitting the ground. She placed her head on Gerald's chest, releasing the chest plate's belt as her hands fell to her side.

"..."
Noticing the silent sorrow enveloping Amira, Gerald chose to say nothing. Instead, he wrapped his arms around her, offering a comforting hug.

*SWOOSH*
*HUG*

"...Hng… Sob, Sob… Gerald, please don't leave… Hng, Sob, sob… I don't want to lose you,"
 Amira said, her tears flowing freely in Gerald's arms. Despite her efforts to hold back, the overwhelming emotions surged, fueled by the fear of losing her love, she could no longer contain the flood of tears.

"...I promise you, Amira, I will not die. I promise you to do everything in my power to return to you and our children... But you know why I must leave,"

Gerald said as he released her from his hug. Gently raising her face by her chin with his finger, he looked into her eyes. 

"...I love you, Amira,"

Gerald whispered, his breath mingling with hers as he drew her even closer. The room seemed to fade away, leaving only the two of them suspended in a moment of shared vulnerability. With a tenderness that belied the intensity of his emotions, he pressed his lips against hers in a passionate kiss. 

*KISS♥♥*

*************************************************
2 MINUTE LATER.

With his bag slung over his shoulder, Gerald opened the front door, revealing his friend Gray patiently waiting for him. 

*CREAK*
*SWOOSH*

"Finally, you're done. I was starting to think you decided not to go anymore,"

Gray said after seeing Gerald open the front door and walk out. 

"No... I am ready, let's go."
Gerald said, with a serious and determined expression.

"Ok. Let's go then,"
 Gray said with an understanding expression after seeing Gerald's demeanor. Then he picked up his bag, placed it over his shoulder, and started walking ahead. 

*SWOOSH*
*RUSTLE*
*THUD*

"It pains me to leave my family, but what use am I if I can't bet my life on securing a better future for them? Even if I am destined to die on the frontlines, it won't be until I've earned enough for my family to live without worry. I swear this," 
Gerald resolved in his mind. His gaze lingered on his house for a moment, a mixture of determination and sorrow playing on his face as he absorbed the sight. Then, with a deep breath, he turned away and began walking after Gray, leaving behind the warmth and familiarity of his home for the uncertainty of the journey ahead. 

14