Chapter 11: Bluebird
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Another 10 chapters have accumulated on RR, so I'll be updating here to catch up. Hopefully a chapter every few hours until it is caught up here. If you want to see chapters as they publish on RR, take a look over there, same title, same author name.

Chapter 11: Bluebird

Tom the guard blinked and replied to my belief that we were in central California with a hint of resignation, “Yeah, we’re in an area that was once California… An odd thing to know for someone that doesn’t know where they came from. I’m going to ask if the local guild rep will talk with you. Are you fine to wait here?”

“I’m a bit thirsty, is the irrigation water safe? I can go get some and come back here if it isn’t too much trouble.”

“Monday March?” Tom waited a moment as if waiting for me to disagree or correct them. “Just wait here. Probably best you don’t drink the irrigation water as it already went through the Bath.” With his free hand, Tom grabbed one of the leather straps which I’d thought was his armor and lifted a waterskin from where it rested against his back, placing it on the ground between us. “It ain’t very cool, but it’s wet. Someone should be back to talk with you shortly. And Glinda is keeping an eye on you should something happen. I’m going to leave Buckle’s pack there so you can keep an eye on it.”

“Okay, if it’s possible, can you find out how Buckle is doing and let me know?”

“I’ll… send word back if, er, I’ll just make sure someone lets you know how he’s doing if there’s an update.” The guard said before turning back and walking towards the gate.

“Thank you, Tom” I had the impression that he heard me, but the guardsman didn’t make a gesture or any outside acknowledgement as he entered the town.

There was more thunking as the gate had opened for him, and again after it closed of course.

Reaching over and snagging the waterskin, I had a long drink before putting the stopper back into the neck. Then, at a loss for what to do while waiting I returned to looking at the magic blur and attempted to make more sense of it.

It only took a few seconds of inspecting that corner past the wall to detect the blur, and I quickly lost track of time as I attempted to make out the magic that might be there. Like the magic that had been surrounding the water ball Buckle had made appear in his hand, there was a distinct ripple in the blur, and hints of color which I didn’t recall from the ripple in Buckle’s hand.

Having lost track of time and entirely devoted to focusing on some faint wisps that I felt were visible in the correct area, I was startled to see someone moving in my direction even though I hadn’t heard the normal thunking of the gate.

A thin human of between 170 and 180cm approached, sun browned skin paired with androgynous features were set with unnaturally dark blue eyes didn’t feel too unusual for Monday. The blue spikey hair adorning the top of their head that matched the blue eyes was certainly attention grabbing, however. Dressed similarly to the guardsman, though with a sword and a pistol on their belt rather than holding a spear, they paused about 3 meters back from the still seated big grey me

A pleasant and melodic voice came from the blue haired person, “Monday March? I go by Bluebird and I am the Guild rep in God’s Bath. I was told that Buckle is stable, but still unconscious.”

I simply nodded at her name, and then said “Oh, that’s good. Thanks.” Responding to the update about Buckle.

“So… Tom said you woke up yesterday with no memories?” When Monday nodded, Bluebird continued. “Did you happen to see any odd things? Like floating text or…”

Nodding, I interrupted the azure haired guild rep. “Yes Bluebird, I’m a system user, or that is what Buckle called it.”

“Reroll?”

“I… think so, yes.”

“You haven’t taken a Class, have you?” Their voice seemed tense.

Puzzled for a moment, I questioned, “So I have a limited System Query ability, it warned me about taking most system offered classes. And the reasons seem perfectly justified to avoid it, but why is that you ask in such a nervous fashion?”

“They… can have negative consequences even for those around the class holder. I suggest you avoid taking any if the system offers. Or at least wait until you know more. In your status, what does the Age line say?”

Pondering for a moment, I replied but didn’t answer the question. “Bluebird, I’ve answered a couple questions, and that’s fine, but I really have no way of knowing if you or anyone has my best interest in mind, or maybe even what my best interests might be. Buckle helped me out and offered me a trade of food, clothes and a place to sleep for doing some work for him. That was a fair trade for me, and I’d like to make a fair trade with you as well.”

Blue eyes blinking the guild rep seemed taken aback. “And what would a fair trade mean to you, Monday?”

“I’m looking for what I expect is basic System information, some not-basic System information, entry into this town or another, food because Buckle was supposed to buy me some but he is indisposed, and enough general knowledge that I can sort of decide what I want to do with my life? I’m willing to answer questions that don’t seem to endanger me by sharing the information or do work seeing as I don’t currently have any money. Whatever passes for money in these parts.” Rubbing my hand over my bald head I was glad I didn't feel nearly as emotional as last night when talking with Buckle about things.

“How long have you been thinking about that… list?”

“Soon after I met Buckle, so yesterday I suppose.”

“You don’t sound like you were reborn yesterday.”

I simply shrugged in response.

“I can get you into town for a handful of basic questions if you are willing to hold a Truthstone while answering. Everything else should likely wait until after that. Does that sound fair?”

Trying to whisper as quietly as possible, I addressed the system. “System Query: Is using a Truthstone dangerous and how can I tell if something is a Truthstone?”

 

Two Queries consumed:

  • A basic Truthstone is not dangerous as one can always choose not to answer a question while holding one and it has no intrinsic impact on the holder
  • The most common Truthstone is made of magically imbued Lapis Lazuli and will have three concentric rings carved onto it

 

Realizing that I didn’t have much of a choice anyhow, and if the person meant me real harm there wasn’t overly much I could do but run back into woods that have now proven to have monsters, I simply nodded at Bluebird.

Pulling a leather thong from around their neck, Bluebird revealed a blue stone pendant that had three circles carved on the front. They held the stone between their palms for about 30 seconds and when they opened their hands, it was glowing with a yellow light brightly enough to be noticed in the sunlight from the clear sky above. “Hold out your hand, Monday and let the stone touch your skin while you answer my questions.”

Following Bluebird’s instructions I noticed that the stone seemed much cooler than expected after having been tucked under a leather jerkin.

The guild rep’s melodic voice started to ask questions, “What is something you believe to be true?”

“Water is wet.” I answered with no snark, but a puzzled expression that faded as the glow coming from the stone transitioned from yellow into a clear light blue that matched the color of the stone I was holding.

“What is something you believe to be false?”

“Fire is cold.” In response the blue glow faded and shifted into an angry crimson.

Nodding, the human continued, “Do you intend any trouble or damage to God’s Bath or its citizens?”

“No.” The angry red light returned to a light blue hue.

“Is there anything about you, or that you know of, which might cause trouble or damage to God’s Bath or its citizens?”

Thinking about myself and my status, in particular my lone bane I felt I had to hedge a little while remaining truthful. “Nothing about me should have any negative impact for at least a year and if I am gone at that time there would be no impact or repercussions.”

Furrowing their brows, this answer seemed to give Bluebird pause as they glared and the consistent blue light welling up from my palm. Slowly the light was fading back towards yellow when another question was uttered. “What injured Buckle?”

“I’m not sure, at least I am not sure of the name. It was short, under a meter tall, but it had long arms and legs with talons or claws on each. There was fur in browns and greens and covered everything pretty much. It didn’t have much of a neck, like the chest almost merged with the head. I didn’t see ears, but the eyes were mounted close to the mouth.” Thinking back while describing the thing, I gave an unconscious shiver as the light stopped reverting to yellow and once again became clear blue.

The blue eyes widened. “Sounds like a lesser Taz, how did you chase it off? Nasty things, those.”

Glancing down at the axe which lay beside her. “Think I killed it, but I’m not sure. The body was gone when I was leaving with Buckle.” The glow in my hand remained blue.

Running a hand through the short spiky blue hair, Bluebird groaned and responded with a particularly colorful expletive.

 

1