Chapter 14: Dominick
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14: Dominick

I declined a full bath at the time, wanting to settle a place to store Buckle’s packs and myself to sleep before I did so. Dominick however offered to help me clean up while Bluebird sorted out the taz corpse.

Rather than go elsewhere, the green haired healer grabbed a small wooden bucket and a short stack of cloth from beside the pool where Buckle was recovering, and then waved me closer to the stream as he walked with me. “Hi Monday March.” His chirpy voice was somehow high, yet warm. “I imagine that Buckle’s behavior might suggest he will be fine, so I’ll just confirm that. No signs of toxins nor infection. And minimal blood loss which is likely due to his abilities and your assistance. Hopefully he will not need my care beyond tomorrow, and should be right as rain in a couple days.”

Reaching the edge of the stream, Dominick gestured for me to squat down as he added some water to his bucket.

“I’ll just get your face and the bad bits. If you want to do it yourself, just say the word, but without a mirror…” he trailed off as he dipped a cloth into the bucket to wet it.

Happy to have the assistance, I squatted down, so he only had to reach up a little bit to wipe my face. From so close his green hair reminded me more of lush grass than hair like I had seen on Tom, Bluebird or Granny G.

“Dominick? Do you have any idea why no one mentioned the blood on me until Buckle saw me?” It had been bothering me since I’d heard it was even there. That it was on me was annoying, and a bit distressing as I felt a desire to remain clean, but the fact that no one had mentioned it of those I had spoken with or passed was troubling as well.

“Hmmm?” Dominick was lightly rubbing my face and I could see flecks of red and pink appear on the cloth between those cleaning passes. “Oh, well, I didn’t say anything before as you were at a distance and I was more concerned with Buckle’s condition. I imagine most folks couldn’t be sure if it might be something you like, or chose to do? You know, not everyone is the same, and some bloodlines influence our decisions, or reward specific behaviors. To say nothing of choices influenced if someone is a Syssy.”

I thought about it for a few moments as more red collected on the cloth in the healer’s hand. I heard a light grunt and glanced back to see Bluebird wrapping up the corpse of the taz in a green colored cloth, and trying to wipe slimy hairy bits from their hand onto the inside of the cloth.

“I guess that makes some sense, but if Tom or Bluebird had simply asked if I wanted to clean up before coming in the gate wouldn’t I have been able to avoid upsetting some village folk, unless I actually wanted to keep the blood on for some reason?”

Dominick looked to be thinking as he rinsed the now red, white and pink cloth in the bucket. Once it was barely pink he returned to wiping and rubbing a little more on my cheek. As he did so, he sighed. “Probably, and it would have been smart to do while you were still outside the walls. Monday, people can be wise, people can be kind, people can be good and dozens of other positive qualities, but there is nothing that says a person will have all the traits needed to make the best choice in all circumstances.”

“That makes sense, I suppose? Is it rude to just ask those questions though? The lady at the counter flat out asked me if I had a gender, and I’m pretty sure, but I’m not sure about Bluebird, and if it is okay to ask if I want to know. But Bluebird already said Granny G is rude, and I think I would rather not be rude to someone first. If you know what I mean.”

Dominick grinned as he scrubbed harder against my jawline, I imagine trying to get some dried blood loose. “Well, if you felt Gabby was being rude when asking you, maybe don’t follow her example? Or if you feel the need to know for some reason, just try not to be rude about it? As for asking after someone’s gender, some people could take it wrong I suppose, especially if they feel they are strongly exhibiting certain defining traits. While not intrinsically rude, some folks will… You know Monday? It will depend, and that sucks. Not everything has a simple answer.” He really did seem regretful as he told me this harsh truth.

Agreeing with Dominick in my head. ‘That sucks, but if something was bound to be complicated, it would be people.’ I thought. “Thanks anyway. Am I clean enough?”

Dominick grinned again, “Less likely to get odd looks, I expect.”

“Is Buckle really going to be fine?”

“Yeah, he probably would have been fine with just bandages, but he will heal up faster with him in the bath and a bit of Mana work.” Dominick backed up a little and put the dirty cloth in the bucket. “If you want to visit him again before Buckle comes for his packs, I’ll let Gabby know if it’s a good idea, but keep in mind that he needs to rest. Also, Buckle told you to go to the PnP, so let Ann know visiting tomorrow would be better than today. If she asks, that is.”

I nodded at the healer as I stood back up, feeling a little strange that he was about half my height. “Thanks Dominick, and thank you for taking care of Buckle.”

“Pfft. You’re welcome, but I am just doing what I do, and getting paid for it as well.” The green haired fellow seemed pleased anyhow.

Turning back to the bath and Bluebird, I saw they had made a bundle with some glossy green cloth bound in thin cords. The guild rep was currently using a cloth to try and wipe their hands clean. It interested me to see it, Bluebird felt so strong that the meticulous behavior seemed contrary, or overly meticulous.

“Pillow and Pie?” I asked as I walked over, picked up Buckle’s bag and bow in one hand, and the new green bundle in my other.

Bluebird blinked at me again. Looking down at the casually held green bundle. “That’s at least 40 kilos right there, how strong are you?”

“We can talk about it later, Pillow and Pie?” I just walked over to the door and waited for them.

Bluebird waved goodbye to Dominick and led me back through the building. I nodded at Gabby as we passed the counter, but didn’t say a word when Bluebird said goodbye to her, nor as I followed them through the streets. A few uncomfortable gazes were still present as we walked, but it was more rare, nor did I seem to be the subject of as much staring.

‘No face blood is an obvious improvement!’

A couple of turns and we approached a two story building with pink paint and blue trim decorating the outside. Above the door hung a cute sign, a drawn cushion and pastry with Pillow and Pie written under the appropriate images. Bluebird pulled the pink door open and waved me through. A light chime rang as the door was opened and it faded away as I walked inside.

I was impressed with the casual and comfortable style of the interior; smooth tables with comfortable looking chairs, paintings of natural scenes hanging on the walls, a fireplace with a crackling fire and carved stone figures of animals on the mantle, and a large leather couch and leather chairs placed so that the warmth of the fire could reach them. All in all it had a very homey feel to the space. A railed staircase ascended the far wall to the upper floor, and a wide doorway with a pair of swinging doors were the only other apparent exits from what I took to be a spacious lounge and dining area.

One of those swinging doors opened as a blue skinned woman with silvery hair looked over at me as she walked into the room. “Hiya, you're a bit late for lunch, but I can rustle you up a bite of something if that’s why you're here.” She smiled wide and I saw that her teeth were white, standing out strikingly against skin the color of the deep blue sky I’d seen between the trees of the forest canopy.

I looked back over my shoulder and saw that Bluebird had remained outside and closed the door behind me. Shrugging I looked back to the blue skinned woman in a knee length dress with a clean white apron. “Pardon me, I was sent here by Buckle, are you Ann?”

The smile didn’t grow, but her eyes widened and softened a tiny bit as she nodded at me. “Early this year, did he get you to haul for him? Will he be along later?” Her voice was very soft, but somehow seemed to worm directly to my ears

1