Chapter 19: Ring Language
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19: Ring Language

“Thanks Crag, not gonna argue, it is in really poor condition after all.”

“Sure, here you go, 4 empty silver and 9 brass. And I hope you have a good day.” Crag looked a little confused, but nothing that should worry me. I figured I could ask Bluebird if anything still seemed odd to me tomorrow.

Looking at the 13 coins in my hand, and pondering the annoyance of having had to juggle the coins and things at the bath I nodded at Crag and figured if I passed a store I might need to get a bag of my own. Or maybe Ann would have a suggestion.

‘Now, back to the Pillow and Pie!’ I thought as I left the Guildhall again.

This time I made it all the way back to the inn. During the walk I counted at least 5 people who had skin which seemed unusual, like my own. A couple in blue, one a vibrant red that seemed almost metallic and glossy and two shades of green. Almost half the people had hair that seemed wildly apart from the more common blond, black, and shades of brown. Most of the different ones were similar to the older lady at the bath, or Dominick or Bluebird - a single vivid shade, or blend, but a couple of these new ones were really unique. I really liked the hair that reminded me of sunlight glinting through the pine tree I woke under, though I had no idea how it was possible or if it meant anything.

Entering the Pillow and Pie I paused to see if Ann of the silver hair and blue skin would come out of the back. She did about 10 seconds later. “Oh, Monday. Are you done with your errand?”

I nodded, thinking about how to ask her for the help I wanted. “Are you having a good afternoon?”

Ann nodded back, her silver hair rippled and her voice tickling into my ears. “Tomorrow's bread dough is rising well, and the pie fillings for dinner are all ready.”

“I was hoping to help you out, and instead of some extra brass, I was wanting, er, I’d like some help finding… Well, what I’m wearing is all I have besides some money. Buckle’s stuff is his, and I want something to put my coins in, and, well, the things I should have?” I’m pretty sure there are things people are expected to own, the elusive place in my head that knew what words meant also seemed to indicate that much, however it wasn’t particularly forthcoming about what those might be.

Ann squinted at me a little, and I felt a bit self conscious, but she smiled pretty quickly. “Well, you don’t currently seem to need a hairbrush. I have a few things to pick up that I was hoping you could carry, and a few chores around here I was looking to have you help with. We can go do the shopping for you while we pick up the other things if that’s okay?”

Smiling back I responded, “That sounds good to me, how much money should I bring?”

Ann paused for a moment. “As long as you are not looking for anything super fancy, you could probably get everything you need for only a dollar or two. Probably not more than 10 dollars if you want good quality, of course there is always more you could get.” Turning away, her whisper voice was still clear as she walked to the door. “I’m going to grab a couple bags and let Ernie know that I’ll be out for a bit. Be just a moment.”

Only a few seconds passed to ponder things I should buy before Ann returned with several sacks in hand. “Before we go out you’ve asked me for help, so please forgive me if I offend with any of my questions.”

I shrugged and said, “Sure.” Even if she said what the old woman at the bath said, Ann’s voice would likely make it far more tolerable.

“Buckle made your clothes, I can tell, and he wouldn’t put a male in a skirt unless they asked. Couple that with your delicate facial features, I’m pretty sure but would like to confirm that you are female?” Seeing me nod in response, she continued. “I can’t quite tell your age, but have you menstruated, spotted or the like?”

Information trickled into my head as the meanings, relationship to gender, sexuality and procreation wandered about and kind of planted themselves in locations of my consciousness that had either been empty or ignored since I woke under that tree.

“Oh, not yet. But I’m in my puberty, so probably sometime? One second.” Then I whispered, “System Query: What is the female Giant Blooded experience of menstruation?”

 

Female Giant Blooded capable of conception will experience a consistent fertility cycle, no menstruation is experienced through discharge, however distinctive abdominal cramping may occur.

 

‘Eww and Yay?’ I thought. “Well, it looks like my race doesn’t need to worry about that so much, though once I can have babies I’m, er…”

Ann just waved her hand at my discomfort. “Don’t fret, some races are like that. Then we don’t need to worry about that part. Now, undergarments. Do you have any, or want them? You don’t look like you need support for your chest, yet. At least right now.”

The whispery voice niggled another spot inside my brain and I had a passing thought about how my grey skin would look if I were to blush. While I did rather like the feel of the air that could reach my hidden skin when the leather skirt swayed, I was thinking some covering might be well advised. “Yes, Ann, I’d like some. Maybe nothing here yet.” I said as I gestured in front of my chest.

“Okay, maybe something in a shorts style.” The whispering one had a glint like laughter in her eyes. ”Some soap, mouth care, pouch. Then maybe a pack or spare clothes, depending. If you are planning to travel, there might be some other things, but for now, let’s just start with that. Oh, are you interested in dating?”

“Huh?” I felt a bit blindsided by the question. “How does that matter for shopping?” I asked, a bit concerned about the answer.

“Oh, in God’s Bath and most of Cecal we use ring and circle languages to socially cue interest, what kind, and that sort of thing. Avoids many awkward social instances, if not all.” Ann held up her hands, on which there were three rings, one on each little finger done in a thin copper and a slightly thicker silver band on her left thumb. “Let’s go and we can keep talking while we shop.”

I offered to take the sacks as we left, my coins still clenched in my left hand as I took the bags into my right. “So how does this language work?”

Ann glanced over at me as we walked side by side in the general direction of the gate I’d used to come into town. “So you are interested?”

“The tickle in my ears when you talk to me is nice, and I like your smile. I’m not sure if that means I want to date. Mostly I think I should figure out what I’m going to do, but knowing the social cues sounds important.”

Ann looked up at my eyes for a moment and then glanced away. “Oh, thanks? Up front, you feel a bit young for me. I hope that isn't too abrupt." She paused and I let out a little uncomfortable smile and shook my head. "The basics are very simple, but it can be very nuanced. It lets people know what I am interested in and comfortable with. Right hand is physical interactions, the left hand is romantic interactions; the least to strongest are little fingers up to the thumbs. So the ring on my left little finger indicates that I am fine with casual physical contact like a handshake, or touching when exchanging objects, if it was on the next finger it might mean that I was okay with casual hugs.

“It isn’t cut and dry, but more of a guideline, I suppose. The more you experience it, the more you can understand, but knowing the basics is enough to help at interacting with people.” Ann paused in her talk as if waiting for questions.

I obliged as I’d remembered Bluebird and Buckle’s ring-less hands while Ann was talking. “So what about people with no rings? Or who can’t wear rings?”

“For the first, always ask for consent. Rings are implied consent, and situational, so you may see a traveler add or change their rings when going into town, and again when entering a bar or place of business. For the second, check their other jewelry or clothes for circles and symbols. Though they can have meaning, assume that more rings, or more ornate rings, means a stronger sentiment. Or that they are a showoff.” Ann glanced back up at my eyes with a grin. “And because you didn’t ask, the ring on my left little finger means I am fine with verbal flirting. But can you guess about the one on my thumb?”

Thinking about the silver ring for a few seconds I ventured, “Looking for a long term partner?”

 

1