Chapter 30: Goodnight
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
There we are, 10 more chapters posted. Weekly updates on RR if you are interested. Thanks for reading.

 

Chapter 30: Goodnight

Skimming through the propaganda about the System, and the related heroics that were the ‘only reasons’ Cecal had survived, I eventually got to sections that seemed of interest. A direct historical text from centuries ago, though it seemed a little at odds with some of the history section Bluebird had written.

The System was an initiative intended to address post cataclysm concerns and globally adapt humans to interface with the Mana energy in a non-disastrous fashion. A handful of scientists who were involved in the initial energy project reached out to individuals outside the project in an effort to resolve the catastrophe despite sanctions in place to reduce information distribution.

The new Inorganic Sentience was a joint birthing from the New Energy project AIs and several AI and IS prototypes from other sectors. Only the most advanced AI and morally mature beings were involved. The agreed upon primary directives were the goal of preserving the Earth, resident sentient peoples, and a healthy biosphere to support them.

Adaptation to the new Mana energies was the initial primary focus. As the IS was able to manage Mana in various ways to support its own functions, considered likely due to the vast processing power and solidity of its composition, attempts to connect to humans working on the project were initiated. Dozens of those involved in the System Project were initiated by the summer of the first year after the hammering.

System Initiates, the System IS, AI admins, OS Admins, and Projectors quickly realized that high Mana saturation was so dangerous that the Curtains needed to be raised. Though it took months, it was accomplished and bought significant time for adaptation efforts to occur in a more measured and less explosive fashion.

A bit of a repeat, but the next area dove into some more immediately interesting information.

As for the System, it started as an artificial filter for minds to adapt to the presence and utilization of Mana as a distinct energy. The System acts as a symbiotic relationship between the System user and Mana, a filter. Growth of individuals refines something which the System terms Experience. This is gained by the user, and when expended to purchase or advance things within the System, the System collects the Experience and benefits from doing so.

Blah blah blah, backstory backstory backstory.

The System UI, or Status, is a simple method to convey information from the System to the System user. With certain purchases or advancements it can be customized to meet the user’s needs more effectively. For example, the initial section with personal information is not often used, and some will hide it unless required. Improved UI control is available in the System Store for a small amount of Experience.

‘Ugh! Stupid store lockout.’ I thought, not for the first time

Statistics, numerical representations of qualities that the System can measure about the user. Not all measurable statistics are displayed or can be enhanced with Experience. Many traits will unlock the locked statistics.

Skills, a numerical indication of the improved chance of success when using the skill, has a chance to unlock and increase when performing related actions continuously and skillfully. Generally discussed as levels, some with shorthand refer to tiers to sound impressive, though traits may reference tiers rather than levels.. New tiers are reached every 100 levels, and the highest recorded tier attained in Cecal was in the 3rd tier, a 256 skill level in fishing. Skills do not, however, provide knowledge. For example, a person with tier 2 in Throwing has never thrown an axe; they are likely to hit their target, but having the blade hit correctly for optimal damage is unlikely. A skilled cook provided with unknown ingredients may make something tasty, but may not truly capitalize on the unique characteristics provided by those ingredients.

Traits, both Boons and Banes, stand apart from statistics and skills. Sometimes they are new abilities or aspects that unlock statistics, or even an unusual skill. Most Boons are purchased in the System store or received as rewards, while Banes are applied through misbehavior, poor habits or offending powerful beings. Many boons only become available for purchase when the System user has accomplished something of distinction. A very few traits are automatically applied without purchase when there has been a related achievement.

All in all, the information felt underwhelming to read, for the most part it followed the conclusions I’d already made. A couple points did stand out: knowledge is needed to capitalize on skills effectively, some Boons can be gained without purchase.

Those automatically granted boons were something I felt I needed to ask about when I talked with Bluebird in the morning, seeing as I can’t buy anything at the moment.

The last few pages of the notebook seemed to mostly be about joining the System guild as an affiliate, rather than remaining unaffiliated. The benefits seemed largely about information up to a certain value being free depending on your value within the guild. There also seemed to be a connection with other organizations and referrals.

There was apparently a System user merchant category which would normally do business with one of the Cecal mercantile organizations, but might affiliate with the System in such a way that they became a participant in purchases and sales in channels leading beyond the Curtain. Adventuring System users might also work with non-System professionals in threat response and control.

Skimming through the last few paragraphs was like being slapped with more Guild propaganda. Every additional word made it more and more obvious that Bluebird, or whomever had written this, had really wanted me to establish a formalized contract while composing. Then again, it was so obvious I wasn’t certain they might not be trying to keep me out of it. Ah well, I’d have to decide when I get there.

Flipping the notebook closed I wished I’d purchased a pen or pencil so I could write down my own questions for tomorrow, then again, I still had questions to ask of System query. I wonder.

“System: can you display remaining questions after each use of System query?” I whispered.

 

Yes

 

“System: display remaining questions after each use of System query.”

 

Implemented.

 

“System Query: What are the commonly known Boons by Secal system users which are automatically granted”

 

No System queries remaining for the day. (Remaining System Queries for the day 0)

 

‘Huh, I did?’ I scrolled back through system comments from the day and confirmed I’d consumed all my queries ‘Guess I did.’

I was about to start exploring what other notification options I might be able to adjust without spending Experience when I heard a rather quiet footstep and click noise before the door to the hall opened slowly.

Glancing over at the door I saw it open just a sliver and I nodded to what I expected was Bernie’s eye peeking through, making a beckoning gesture. At the same time I attempted, and succeeded, in slipping away from Billie and off of the bed. There was a little sigh as I did so, but it sounded more cute than disgruntled to me.

Grabbing my pack and popping the notebook inside it, I noticed Bernie hadn’t entered but was waiting in the hall and holding the door open. After arriving near him he closed the door, presumably so we could talk without waking Billie.

Instead of saying anything, he just gestured for me to follow him as he went over to an empty wooden bit of the hallway and opened a concealed panel. Through the opening I could see the hallway where my room was.

“Neat, is this for cleaning and such?”

“Yup, thanks for watching after Billie.” Bernie’s voice was soft and even, a faint smell of onions and the kitchen still lingering on him.

“Just being a friend.” I said with a small smile before I walked over to the door marked with a 2 and placed my hand on the panel, hearing the click open.

I glanced back and sent a small wave at Bernie before I went into my room and closed the door.

I used the mouth slime, which was a bit odd, but fine. Wiped off my feet in the small room with a toilet and sink. A shower or bath did not appear to be included in this room, Ann hadn’t mentioned one either, so perhaps it’s ‘common knowledge’.

I sorted my coins in my pack, and realized I’d done pretty well, ‘I suppose? 131 dollars and 4 brass. Still owe Wanda another 20 dollars, but maybe more if she tried to upsell me? Still leaves me enough for 10 days at the Pillow and Pie and extra expenses.’ I thought.

The bed was soft, and while I hadn’t felt particularly tired, it had been a very long day and I could probably use the sleep.

Okay, plan for tomorrow:

  1. Breakfast
  2. Check with Ann about maybe an additional night
  3. Try to talk with Billie (and Bernie?)
  4. Visit Buckle (Do not let GG get under my skin, the cranky such and such - Does she sleep?)
  5. Go to Guild and ask additional questions to Bluebird (ask about axe as the Taz died, what traits and other options might help with Inverted Sobriety, legends and stories about how Syssies can make trouble for those nearby)
  6. Visit Millie Goode if there is time, maybe buy a knife, maybe for reading 'pony stories'
  7. Pick up new clothes & rings at Wanda’s (3 outfits, a hoodie, and 3 rings)
  8. Decide what I want to do with my life

 

0