Chapter 4: To Fight Or Fligh. . .Yeah, that’s not possible (2/2)
913 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

But how on earth could I fight that? I turned to the blood red wererabbit. The veins on the side of my head throbbed in pain. From how the rare WereRabbit was already crouching, I knew I had to come up with a plan in the next few seconds unless I wanted my head rolling around in those maws. How on earth did this world manage to fuck up adorable, little rabbits into man-eating monsters?! 

I knew things were going a little too well when I was hunting that slime. With my luck, the outer core should have exploded or at least disappeared before I was able to get my hands on the inner core. 

“Inner Core?” A light bulb appeared in my head. “That’s it!” With every strength I could muster, I trembled, got up on my feet and held the core inside my hands out to the monster who immediately switched its attention from me to the core. Damn. Was I really that forgettable to a monster? 

“You want this?” I shook the core around. The monster snarled back at me, most likely demanding that I drop it and fuck off in monster language. Sometimes, I wished I knew how to speak monster tongue since there most likely is one, in this fucked up world of magic and beasts.

“You reallllly want it?” I shook the core even more. I could see the muscles in the were-rabbit’s hind legs tensing, strengthening and preparing to jump me to get the core. I didn’t know whether my plan would work but if it did, I’d be getting two cores to help me in my rank ascension today. If it didn’t. . . .well, I won’t live to tell the tale. Eh, I’ve taken bigger gambles.

I played with the core in my hands, juggling it all around my body as if a clown trick. But, what the monster didn’t know was that I had easily and deceptively switched the core with a similarly-sized used up core I had taken from my [Inventory]. Fun fact about these cores was that, even after devouring a core, they still had that sparkling glow, a fake one of course since I had already eaten all the energy inside, I’m sure. It was like the world itself was calling me a loser when I had yet to learn about that little fun fact and always got so excited, thinking I was lucky enough to find a shiny core along the grass - only for it to be a trickery of the gods.

Well, this time, someone else is going to be in for the humiliation. 

“If you want it then,” I pulled my hand holding the fake core back in a throwing gesture and saw how wide and apprehensive the monster’s eyes became, as if telling me ‘Don’t do it.’ 

But I did it. “Go and get it!”

With a force unthinkable from someone of my stature, I threw the fake core like an olympic shot putter, throwing it right across the were-rabbit who had already turned its back to me, chasing quickly after the fake core. 

“Dumbass,” I mocked quietly. Quickly taking out the best makeshift spear in my inventory, I felt the weight of the weapon, taking note of the powerful slime digestive acid laced on the tip before taking aim at the wererabbit who was still unaware of the danger it was under. Now, I didn’t know how tough a seventh circle monster’s hide was, not to mention a rare mutation, even if it was technically still a rabbit which was why I hoped this good spear of mine would be dependable. 

Because if it didn’t, it wouldn’t have a beautiful tanned, white-haired girl as its wielder anymore.

The WereRabbit seemed to have caught up with the fake core and was sniffing about it, probably wondering where all the energy it had sensed had gone. I saw its little whiskers twitch in realization but it was already too late.

I prepared my throw by giving myself a little run-up to build up rhythm and momentum. “This is for my mom!” Then, landing on my back foot with a long straight arm, poisonous spear in line with my right eye, I rotated my body while giving a huge push forward enough for me to even stumble and hop a little in recoil and watched as my spear shot through the air like a bullet, stomach rolling about as I hoped that would do the trick. 

If it didn’t, I was in no position to move, much less run away from the fatigue.

The WereRabbit seemed to manage to turn it’s body to me, but unfortunately, it was already too late. Of course, even then I could see why the Blood WereRabbit was a seventh circle monster since it was able to react enough for it to twist it’s body, enough for it to dodge the strike to it’s head and instead, my spear only managed to hit it’s hind leg. There, I could see how strong the hide of a seventh circle monster was since I had thrown the spear hard enough to penetrate steel but all it did to the monster was pierce it a few simple inches deep when the spear should have impaled it and come out it’s other hind leg.

The WereRabbit hissed loudly in pain and glared at me with blood red eyes so full of anger, I think I might have wet myself. It seemed to have ignored the pain of my spear’s penetration and charged straight at me, which actually made me wet myself. 

I pumped my legs with every ounce of energy in my body but they wouldn’t move, dead tired from all the running and strenuous movements. So, all I did was close my eyes and accept my fate. . .but stopped when I heard a distinct thud against the grass, along with something very hairy touching the edges of my legs.

I opened my eyes. An immediate smirk danced upon my lips. “Well, well, well.” I looked down at the oh so strong monster that seemed to have been paralyzed, its red body twitching like it had been electrocuted. “All hail green slimes and their poison.” An unbelievable need to gloat at it rose up my chest but I wanted to be the better man. . .or woman. I really needed to get used to that.

So I simply stabbed it through its eye, felt its thick skull and something akin to an organic brain that froze at my spear’s penetration. “Bitch.” The WereRabbit squealed like a pig before its body turned into dust, leaving behind an even shinier and fist-sized reddish inner core that smelt extremely great. It might as well be begging for me to devour it as I could literally see the juicy amount of energy inside the core. 

I took the slime core out of my inventory and compared it to the seventh circle core in my other hands, and woah, was the difference great which only made me more anxious to ascend to the seventh circle. If I was similar to a once in a century olympic genius at the eight circle, how strong would I be in the seventh? I expect nothing less than superhuman levels and since this was a rare inner core, otherwise known as a mutated core, there was also a chance, albeit a low one that I would be able to awaken the other core skill lying dormant within my body, within this female body that coincidentally had colorless eyes and white hair or maybe I’d just awaken an inner skill.

The first time I learnt about inner skills, the type of skills you could obtain through a rare awakening or rigorous effort of training, I had tried multiple times to at least obtain one skill- something battle-oriented from the daily life or death battles I was forced to participate in. Hell, I wouldn’t complain if I got something relating to cooking or even skinning since if you got an inner skill, it gave you two main benefits. 

  1. You immediately are able to perform the skill as if it is second nature and no mistakes will be made while performing the skill. 
  2. You are able to upgrade and level it if you wish to, at the price of inner cores. 

And these benefits came with a bonus that you would be able to see your progress under your status screen. Imagine if you got the cooking skill, for example. And say you don’t feel like cooking that evening. All you have to do to solve your little problem is to mentally tap on your cooking skill and your body will move and do the rest while your mind takes a break. Of course, you can cancel the skill anytime you want as well. 

The Core Skills, on the other hand, are skills that you will never be able to obtain through any amount of effort. It is impossible to copy or share a core skill as well. Of course, your core skill may be similar to another core skill; for example, two people may have the same core skills under the conceptual element of fire but the fire-related core skills will be completely different. In layman’s terms, core skills can share categories but ultimately, the base abilities are different. One more fun fact was that core skills are extremely rare and are usually something born with, at a chance of one in ten thousand people. 

My Core Skill, something I had been fortunate enough to get out of a lucky roll at the cost of two other busts - I still wonder what those two could have been - was my broken constitution that allows for the similarly broken core skill - [Question]. And yet, I knew I hadn’t received the complete arsenal of skills from my constitution - [Constitution Of The Origin] since there was a very noticeable [1/2] marked beside it. 

Now, anyone with a toddler’s IQ can tell that there was something fishy about it. Someone with a top gamer’s IQ like me knew that the 1 in [1/2] stood for my core skill - [Question].

Meaning, I still had one other skill left to receive. 

I had hoped that I would receive the other core skill when I awakened to the eight circle but was left disappointed when the only upgrade I got was an increase in bodily functions and reflexes. Now, I wasn’t completely certain I would awaken the second core skill when I upgraded to the seventh circle but my gut. . .and the shiny mutated inner core of the fallen WereRabbit told me this was it. 

I wonder what the other skill would be. The first skill - [Question] is already broken enough as it is, but that also meant that the second skill would be just as broken, and dare I say it, perhaps even more. If so, what could be more overpowered than the ability to have an upgraded version of g**gle in your mind pocket?

Shit. My stomach was starting to roll and flop around like a whale, my mind already in a roller-coaster from all the possible broken skills I could get. I checked my surroundings, three times more carefully this time and seeing how the nearest monster was a herbivorous one, not to mention around 500 meters away, I sat down, legs crossed in a meditative position. 

“Well, without further ado,” I kissed both of the inner cores and felt my heart drum from sensing the tumultuous sweet energies near it. “Let’s do this.”

A tongue of energy from the inner cores licked my skin, making me close my eyes and moan in appreciation. Seventh circle inner cores really were the shit. 

 


Read ahead on my patreon for just 3 dollars - - - - - - -> https://www.patreon.com/Norobo

My Discord------> https://discord.gg/3jQXJ8PgEq

 

28