Prologue
113 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I slowly pack my things in neatly order while dazed. A shadow looms behind me yet I don't need to turn my head to know who it is. That hideous smell gave it all away. I can smell him from miles away, there's no escaping it. 

He coughs trying to get my attention but I didn't bother. Talking to him is a waste of time especially hear him ramble things that I don't need to hear. I mentally roll my eyes as I continue packing my things. Thanks to him I will sleep into the streets tonight. Fuck. It's not like I have a place to call home in the first place, but it's still disappointing to leave this place. I practically grew up in here, forced to serve and worship and was never been outside except the gardens. 

"Elene," He calls out to me without any sound of remorse, pity, or disappointment. He puts his hand on my shoulder that made me flinch in the sudden action. He never really dared to touch me so this really took me by surprise. "You still have time to confess your sins and repent. Just say so then I'll consider kicking you out. As far as I could remember you never took a single step outside, it will be difficult for you to leave or to survive."

I scoff not trying to hide my true feelings. "I didn't do anything wrong so there's nothing to confess nor repent. I only did what's right and that's what I do. After all aren't I a follower to our God? I simply did my job."

I can feel his hold tightens as if he was trying to compose himself from anger. 

"What you did is wrong, Elene. Even in the eyes of God. You must confess and ask for forgiveness! Don't you dare taint the name of our God to save yourself from trouble, your ignorance will be the death of you someday."

I slap his hands away and turn myself to face him. I can feel my face heats in anger. He looks right back at me, still trying to process what happened. He can't even accept a slap in the hand, how dare he lecture about my ignorance when I was merely doing my job? 

"You little devil! You dare hit a priest inside the God's kingdom?!" He screams as in mere seconds my hair is on a tight grip. "Your entire existence is a blasphemy! You hear me? A blasphemy!"

The wooden floor thuds as numerous footsteps approaches my room. I rack my brain into something that will save me from this situation and I glance at him, smiling sweetly. If I'm going down, I'll drag him down with me. 

I quickly bit my thumb and let out a pained cry, changing my expression into terror. The priest looks at me in surprise but still doesn't let go of me though the grip slightly weakens. 

"P-please! H-help... " I sobbed, rubbing my bruised thumb into my skirt. Thankfully it won't be noticeable since it's already dark. He quickly lets go of me in realization but I quickly grab his belt and it falls down into the floor. "S-someone please help me!"

What kind of belt is that? Seems poorly made. 

A nun came into my room panting, and others follow after. I hug myself in defense, crying and sobbing, and the nun quickly walks to my side. She looks at the belt on the floor back to the priest trying make sense of what's happening. The others seems to clearly understand what's happening since they start whispering to each other. 

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Did he...?"

"Just like what they say, seize the chance when it's still there."

The nun looks sharply at them, and it does the trick since they immediately shut up. She steps between me and the priest while clenching her hand. 

Oh yeah. I know her. She's always beside the priest at all time. She probably knows what he always do because it doesn't look like this surprise her. Makes it better for me, I guess. 

"Leave us." She commands. The orders quickly left though I doubt they'll be listening once the door is closed. She turns to me with the look of pity. Heh, I usually don't like to be pitied but this does amuse me. I should try to audition for a role, maybe it'll work better for me. "Are you okay, Elene?" She takes a look at me again, noticing me shake in fear. But not really. I'm trying my best not to laugh. "Why don't you sit and calm down? Trust me, he won't try to do anything to you. I'll make sure of that."

I slowly nodded, as soon as she finds me comfortable she turns back to look at the priest in anger. It seems to worsen when she saw him looking at me, with her back turned I gave him a smirk, quietly celebrating my victory. It seems I got a reaction out of him when he starts to walks towards me, clasping his hands around my neck with the crazed look on his eyes. The nun gasps and quickly tries to get him off of me, when she wasn't able to she started to scream for help.

"YOU LITTLE DEVIL! I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL MAKE SURE YOU GET BACK FROM WHICH DEPTHS IN HELL YOU CAME FROM!" He screams, tightening his hold on my neck. I managed to choke out a small giggle which angers him more.

A loud bang can be heard behind him and in a moment he was pulled away from me, restraining his arms with ropes and was quickly taken away from my room. I lie still, staring at the wooden ceiling with my smile plastered on my face. The nun who stayed behind, sat beside me and we stayed silent for a few more minutes. I'm sure that she feels sympathetic even though I'm actually happy, but of course I won't say that aloud. 

"I'm sorry..." She says slowly, breaking the tense silence. I look at her and she looks right back. "I'm sure that you feel shaken right now and that's understandable. If I have the courage to report him to the High Priest then probably this won't happen to you. I'll make sure that he gets punished since I am a witness when he assaulted you but the only thing I can't do is to help you go back here." She sighs as she slowly massages her temple. "I-I should go and make sure everything is fine." She stands and walks towards my door. She abruptly stops and looks back at me again. "Y-you should take some rest, Elene. Be prepared tomorrow so that you can see that priest get his punishment." And just like that she left. 

What a crazy night. 

I glance at my bag still not quite finish with the packing, then towards my open window where I can see the moon shining below in our little town. I walk towards it and simply gazes somewhere interesting. It's not a surprise to see the town quiet at night but this is just too quiet. There's not a single silhouette that can be seen outside, most of the small stores are closed, and the residential area are too far from here. Probably one of the reason why I don't have new friends, or why I don't go out because there's really nothing interesting going on. 

Hm. Oh yeah. It's gonna change tomorrow! I look back at my bag and smiled. The nun already said that she cannot help me lift my banishment AND this is not the only place in the world. Maybe this is the sign I've been looking for. A change of pace. A new place. A new start. A new fun! 

With my face glowing in happiness I continue to pack again with my heart beating faster in excitement. So far this is the best day in my life. I've managed to get myself get out of trouble, managed to screw the priest over and ruined his reputation, and I will manage to find myself a new place in a new town! 

A thought made me stop from packing. 

I don't have money. 

2