History 2
113 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vlog #1

Dr. Ramirez appeared on the screen. He looked uncomfortable as if he wanted to be anywhere but there. Finally, he breathed out a sigh. "Hello, um, my name is Dr. Juan Ramirez, and I was 'strongly' advised to make a video blog of our endeavours."

He paused, looking off to one side, then whispered, "Like I don't have any better use of my time."

With a deep sigh, he continued, "Well, let's get this over with. I am a geneticist, and I oversee the resurrection project. My colleague Dr. Meadows, an engineer, would focus more on Cam's schematics. Master Warden Kelly, on the other hand, is corresponding with our leaders on how to proceed with our incredulous findings."

"Quite frankly, we have no time to wait for their decision, and we decided to proceed with or without their approval. Cam agreed and will provide any support he can muster, which I find quite substantial. He is willing to provide finances, supplies, and space to work. Why wouldn't he? We are doing exactly what he wants."

"Both projects are proceeding smoothly."

Vlog out.

Vlog #2.

"Hello, um, I have a lot of exciting updates to report. First, the embryos are developing well in their incubation tubes. Watching them is quite fascinating. At first, the base DNA sequence looked quite like our own but, at further observation, was far more advanced." He smiled in excitement. "What we will learn will revolutionize humanity itself."

"Dr. Meadows, on the other hand, is having a tough time reproducing the material needed to build the negative... hmm, I mean the ionized air purifier. Finally, Cam solved it by producing a sequencer that perfectly replicates the material. So now he and everyone in his department are clamouring to reverse engineer the machine."

His face went a little sour. "Since time is a factor, the government agreed to go ahead with the project, but not before sending government officials with Master Warden Kelly to 'observe.'" Dr. Ramirez sighed. "Hopefully, they won't interfere too much in our work."

Vlog out.

Vlog #3

Dr. Ramirez appeared on the screen. He looked a little older with a lot more lines on his face. "It's been a while since I recorded, and I've been quite busy. With the number of people coming in to work on the project, we built more infrastructure to support the increased numbers. From my perspective, more help is dearly needed."

"In any case, those willing to go out to help clean up operations and test the bio machinery. Cam even provided protective suits to the fieldworkers that were far superior to anything we ever created."

"Although having more people made Master Warden Kelly quite busy keeping unauthorized personnel out of the restricted zone...especially those government busybodies."

Vlog out.

Vlog #4.

Dr. Ramirez appeared, looking a little embarrassed. His clothing hadn't changed from the last video log. "I apologize; I forgot to talk about the resurrection project. Upon Cam's insistence, they remain in their incubation tubes despite showing signs of surviving independently. Their brain waves are functioning perfectly, and there are no apparent deformities. Quite frankly, they look like homo sapiens. I theorized that their evolution cycle is very similar to our own. Still, foreign elements in their DNA have also greatly influenced their development."

He rubbed his eyes underneath his glasses, looking back at the camera with an excited smile. "Watching them grow is eye-opening, and I look forward to learning from them further."

"In fact. I am working on something that might... Wait." He suddenly turned from the camera. "What is that?" A bright light, then static.

Vlog out.

Vlog #5.

Dr. Ramirez rushed on-screen, oozing with excitement. "I can't believe it. It's mind-boggling. That power surge we had resulted from our...um...guests? I find that word inaccurate because, in a sense, we are the guests intruding on their home, but this is our planet, so...." Someone coughed in the background.

He looked startled for a moment before he reddened in embarrassment. He fiddled with his glasses before he continued, "Oh yes, as I was saying. We had a power surge, and our 'guest' was the cause. At first, they had been developing like human beings. There were some differences, but nothing warranted any concern. But now, they have undergone substantial changes in their appearance. They still look human, mind you, but their hair pigments are highlighted with more... um... broader colours than the average human. Their eyes have slight tapetum lucidum." Another cough." um ...that means glowing eyes.

"What is the most fascinating is that each materializes an object from nothing. From accessories to weaponry. One even had a naturally forming tattoo."

"Cam said that everything was proceeding normally, and as soon as they stabilized, they would be ready to come out of their tubes." Then, the doctor pointed a finger into the air. "Reminder: next time, we must watch out for power spikes."

Dr. Ramirez leaned forward. "On a side note, sometimes I hear Cam reading to them at night, sometimes singing." He broke out into a sigh. "Ah, I miss my grandchildren."

Vlog out.

Vlog #6.

"Hello, my name is Dr. Ramirez. I was told I haven't introduced myself enough, but I find it redundant, so don't expect me to do it often." He sighed, a little impatient. "Now, let's get to it. Shall we?"

"Dr. Meadows is testing out a water infiltration unit. It has properties comparable to those of an air purifier. Still, it uses water-based plants that supply energy to the newly created bio-machine. It's similar to a potato battery but a hundred times more powerful. The tricky part was that it needed to clean the water while not harming aquatic lifeforms essential for environmental stability. So, it's a balancing act. He is also working on augmentation for our already underused clean energy sources to be distributed cheaply for everyone's use. Also, they're working on pollution-free automobiles and a biodegradable plastic alternative. Dr. Meadows's work is impressive as always."

He sighed again. "Apparently, after reviewing my video logs, I have forgotten to mention something. The purpose of the incubation tubes was not only to keep our guests safe from our foreign environment but also to help them grow safely. It also accelerates their growth substantially. They all appeared to be adolescents and stable enough to come out of their incubation tubes."

Someone said something off-camera. Dr. Ramirez turned away from the camera. "Oh, they are ready now?" He turned back to the camera. "I really must go. I have more important things to do."

Vlog out.

Vlog #7.

Dr. Ramirez appeared on screen; excitement vibrated off him. "After four years and eight months, twenty-four sentient lifeforms are finally surviving out of their incubation tubes. However, many more have not yet gone through the incubation process. Quite frankly, there is a need to accelerate the incubation period. Thus, we need more room. The commissioned Captain Kelly will pull a fit if my 'guest' mixes with the masses, saying, 'It's a security risk or such nonsense.'

"Fortunately, we have access to a lab with plenty of sealed-off sections just waiting to be explored. I and several others are also staying here, but it is only a temporary solution." Dr. Ramirez looked thoughtfully. "If we have the time, I want to study how the Lab functions."

He clamped his hands together. "Now, for the fun part. Do you know how homo-sapiens used the ecosystem around us to survive and adapt? On the other hand, I theorize that our' guests' seem to adapt by pulling a specific aspect from the ecosystem inside themselves. As such, their bodies had to adjust to accommodate this. Allowing them to access abilities far beyond what humanity is capable of." He smiled. "Yet."

"I have observed that each individual has abilities that fall within three categories." He held out one finger. "They can manipulate an element, and I am not talking about the elemental table. Such as fire, water, earth, and air. With two more obscure elements. Life (abilities that enhance physical abilities) and Spirit or if you want to be morbid, Death (Connection with the deceased)." He added another finger. "They have the ability to escape. It is usually related to what element each process." He added yet another finger. "And a psychic ability such as telepathy, or telekinesis." Dr. Ramirez dropped his hand. "These abilities can mix to produce interesting results."

"It was also observed that they need to absorb their specific element as a nutrient through the skin."

"As for the manifested object. Cam said that they are mediums to help control their abilities."

In all seriousness, he added, "I believe it is in our best interest to keep my discoveries about our guests on a need-to-know basis. Even from Captain Kelly. He is too much of a military man."

Vlog out.

Vlog #8.

"Finally. Finally! Our hard work is showing some effort. The government keeps its end of the bargain, ensuring that the inventions are distributed to the right places, and it suddenly shows. The echo system is beginning to show signs of improvement." He sighed. I fear that Earth has a long way to go. Hopefully, humanity will give it the chance to do so."

He sat straighter in his chair. "I have good news. Thanks to our' guests,' who I believe are dubbed the Lumeye." He huffed a little. "Not my first choice, but it seemed to stick. Cam is mildly happy about the name."

A pause. "Oh yes, where was I? While analyzing Lumeye's DNA, I made a discovery. And that discovery led me to bioengineer a drug. If taken, it doubles the lifespan of an average human but has a side effect that reduces the birth rate by half. With our overcrowding issue, I don't think it is much of an issue. Plus, with this, I believe it is merely the beginning before we can cure major diseases like cancer and heart disease. The possibilities are endless."

"On a side note, I would like to announce that my granddaughter, Dr. Sara Ramirez, will be working here. At only eighteen, she has two doctorates and is working on a third. I am so proud of her."

Vlog out.

Vlog #9.

"Well, that was unpleasant," Dr. Ramirez said, staring at the ceiling for a minute before his tired eyes faced the screen. Several issues may upset further relations in the last few months."

"There was talk about my project with the Lumeye, which worries me. I have reported only the Lumeye's numbers throughout the years, nothing more, nothing less. I certainly have no intention of supplying anyone with information that might hurt them. I thought my drug would deter them for longer than it did, but...." He sighed, shaking his head. "Mental note; upgrade security."

"It was noted that some of the Lumeye naturally bonded with other Lumeye. As a result, they began to separate into smaller groups. This bonding appears different from the bonds that form among humans. It's almost instantaneous. So, it must be a by-product of their abilities. For now, it needs further study."

"Meanwhile, Ayden, a Lumeye male, tried to destroy one of the remaining undeveloped capsules. Sara moved to intercept him, but...." He rubbed his eyes behind his glasses. "I don't know what the boy was thinking. Thank God no one was seriously injured."

He sighed. "Maybe being cramped in one place is getting to us all. Maybe..." He had a thoughtful look. "Hopefully, they will be able to make their own choices.

"And Cam." Another sigh. "He is draining all his energy into the Lab and slowly fading away. I don't want to think about what will happen when he finally shuts down. We will lose our dearly needed protection, and most of all, I will be losing a friend."

Dr. Ramirez paused in resignation before continuing. "Captain Kelly wants to talk to me, and I know the warning he is about to give me. He is my friend but a military man through and through. His first loyalty will always be to the government. I fear that there is not much I can do,"

His gaze turned serious. "I made a promise to protect the Lumeye. I will do whatever I can to keep it."

Vlog out.

Vlog #10.

Dr. Ramirez looked beat up, with a wild look in his eyes. "Even with Captain Kelly's warning, I couldn't prepare for this. I tried to save as many as I could. Some escaped, including my granddaughter, but we were lured into a trap. The Lumeye have barely existed, and they have extraordinary abilities. Still, they barely know how to use them, let alone fight against trained soldiers."

He sighed, "I also didn't account for one thing. Dr. Meadows. He betrayed me. I worked with the man for fifty-two years, and he betrayed me! He found a way to jam Cam's interface. Somehow, he stole some of my research and manufactured a collar to stop the Lumeye's access to their abilities."

He covered his face with his hands. "I fear Meadows hadn't accounted for the glitch in the collar's makeup. The Lumeye needs to absorb their element. The collars prevent them from doing so. Testing shows that the collars would overload, or the Lumeye would slowly starve to death."

"Hell, I don't think he gives a damn, but if they find out about their mediums...." He left it unsaid, only shaking his head.

"The government is making a huge mistake. They don't understand how fragile the ecosystem still is. If these people think they can get anything useful out of the Lab.Then good luck trying." He laughed. Cam had prepared for this. He did warn us." Explosions were heard in the background... and the screaming.

There was banging at the door, which was ignored. Dr. Ramirez stared intently at the camera. His expression sombre. "That day, I made a promise I couldn't keep. I have failed you and this world, and I feel ashamed."

Vlog paused.

3