The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 5
31 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Four Years Ago

Lilia gazed through a window and into the room beyond. Inside were machines hooked up to a tiny body. It was her sister, Stella, only eight years old. She pressed her hands up against the window frame. She wanted to go in so badly.

"Why can't I go in?"

The mean lady looked down at her with a stern look. "It's better for you and her that you would stay away…at least until you have more control."

Control? What does that even mean?

All she cared about was her sister. She looked so hurt, so helpless. Lilia wished that Mom was there. She would know what to do.

"I don't care! I still want to see her," Lilia's desperation grew.

The mean lady sighed. "Look, kid, you're lucky we didn't leave your sister behind; her medical care is costly. Her only worth is her connection to you."

Lilia saw red as her big sister's instincts to protect surfaced. "You wouldn't!"

"In a heartbeat. That's the world we live in, kid. Get used to it." Was the Mean Lady's cold response.

Lilia's fist tightened around the window frame. Then, a cracking and shattering sound resonance. It was startling enough to propel her back and onto the floor. People were scrambling everywhere, but Lilia could only stare at her hands in bewilderment.

"What?"

"You see, that's why you can't see your sister just yet," the mean lady scoffed, and Lilia could hear her heels clicking on the floor, moving down the hall. "Come on, keep up. I am a very busy woman."

Still shaken, Lilia scrambled to her feet. She grabbed the bag at her feet, containing everything she owned, including the precious flute her mother gave her. Lilia was surprised and delighted when she saw it…especially her flute.

How did the mean lady know to grab that?

Lilia followed the mean lady but kept her distance. She shouldn't forget what the mean lady threatened would do to Stella if she didn't behave; it didn't mean she had to like it.

Lilia was led by the mean lady and the white coats somewhere. She didn't know what would happen to her. Then they stopped, and the mean lady turned to her. "This will be your home until you get your powers under control, and If you are good, I will let you see your sister—under limited supervision, of course," she said sternly.

Before they walked through the doorframe, the mean lady stopped and looked down at her. No, not at her, but her arm. Lilia glanced down and saw a tattoo with an entwined cat and bird.

A tattoo? How did that get there? But she was so numb that it didn't even register.

"Give me a med kit." She ordered a white coat. When he returned, she grabbed the med kit and opened it. "Here." The mean lady grabbed her wrist.

Lilia tried to pull it away, but her grip was tight. "Ha, kid, stay still. This is for your own good." The mean lady wrapped gauze around her tattoo. "Better keep that from prying eyes. There was a man who started a war. He had a tattoo like yours. It would be best if you weren't painted with the same brush. Being a Lumeye is hard enough."

Lilia was confused. Was she trying to be nice?

The mean lady suddenly moved away and towards the door like nothing had happened.

She let herself be guided through the door. "Attention!" one of the white coats yelled out.

Five children stood at attention. Finally, the mean lady spoke up sternly. "This is your new teammate. She just went through manifestation, so she's feeling raw. I want you older kids to make sure she feels comfortable and, more importantly, that she knows the rules," the mean lady said in a stern voice.

"Yes, Headmistress!" they yelled in unison.

"Any questions?"

One of the older kids, a girl, stepped forward. "May I ask her name, Ma'am?"

"Oh, thank you for reminding me, Drucilla," said the mean lady, Headmistress Weatherly, who was slightly kinder but not by much. "Her name is Lilia Spencer, a Life Elemental. Treat her well." The mean lady turned with the white coat and left.

Lilia didn't know what else to do but stand there. She didn't know what the mean lady was talking about; 'Life Elemental,' what was that? Something different than her reading minds? Or was it the same?

Everything was so confusing.

"Confused, right?" the same girl who spoke before asked. She was close, which made Lilia step back. "Relax, I'm not going to hurt you. We are all the same."

"The same?" Lilia asked.

"You will find out soon enough," she said mysteriously. "Your sister will be fine."

"How…"

"Would I know?" the older girl finished Lilia's sentences. "Like how you can read minds." The older girl glanced at the others. "We all have our little quirks. Here, you will discover them and many more things. We are going to spend a long time together."

Lilia was still confused, but the older girl was nice, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

The older girl continued talking. "Now it's time for introductions. My name is Druid. The uptight boy over there is Bryson. The black-haired boy is Sean."

"Shadow." The black-haired boy interrupted.

"Shadow," Druid corrects herself. They gave Lilia a look that clearly said, 'Boys.' "The twins are Heather and Terran." Both looked similar, with their deep brown eyes and shaggy brown hair with green streaks. Although the boy had something shaved on his head, numbers?

The female twin, Heather, was it? Almost pounced on her in excitement. "Ha, what's your medium? Terran and I hadn't manifested one yet, so I am curious. Can you please tell me? Is it in that bag you're holding? Can I see it?"

Lilia had to step back. She was baffled and had difficulty following what the younger girl was saying. Medium? Something special? Her flute? Her hands tightened around her bag.

Heather grabbed the bag but was stopped by her brother. "You know that a person's medium is private. Stop being so nosy." He turned to Lilia apologetically, whereas his sister was pouting. "Sorry for all the trouble."

Lilia gave him a strained smile. This was all too overwhelming, and she had trouble following what was happening.

Then she felt it, and she bent over with the pressure. What was it? It was like breathing with three extra sets of lungs. It hurt. Lilia struggled to get enough air. Then, the breathing became synced, becoming more manageable.

What was that? Lilia's exhausted face looked up in bafflement. She was shocked to see everyone, except for Heather and Terran, had the same pained look as she did.

Druid was the first to look up, strain showing on her face. "That never gets any easier. The Link feels more complete, but the twins haven't manifested yet, so it still has a way to go."

"Link?" Lilia asked.

"The Link defines us as Lumeye," Druid explained. Come on, let's get you settled." Druid led her further into the room.

***

Lilia was permitted to go outside by the mean lady. She said this place was very private, so not many had access.

So now she was alone.

Lilia was grateful. She had a massive headache, too many new people, and new thoughts, and she needed the space and a breath of fresh air.

However, what met her eyes wasn't the plastic bubble she grew up seeing but open dark skies with never-ending trees and mist rolling over the treetops. It looked so surreal.

She was outside the city! something she thought she would never see in her lifetime. Lilia could hear something strange, and then her eyes widened in wonder. The trees were singing such beautiful sounds. It brought tears to her eyes.

Lilia wanted to play, a feeling she hadn't had in a while. Her fingers moved by themselves as they unzipped her case and pulled out her flute. Finally, she brushed against the wooden texture, closing her eyes, trying to dry up her tears.

Lilia tightened her grip on her flute and brought it to her lips, and a sweet but mournful sound resounded. Lilia poured her very being into every note.

She thought of Stella, who was still with her but broken. And even though she wasn't human, Lilia was still alive. Then what about her mother? Maybe there was a chance that she was as well. Then there was Rachel…

But more than anything else, everything inside her screamed that she wanted to be free.

Free of this pain.

Free of this place.

Free of everything.

Her right arm began to tingle where her tattoo was, forcing her to stop playing. The tattoo was glowing through the bandages, and she felt like it was trying to escape her skin.

IT HURTS! She had to tear apart her gaze just to relieve the pressure.

Then, all she could do was watch with widened eyes. Simultaneously, the tattooed cat and the bird pushed out and dropped onto the floor. They got bigger and took shape. They became real.

Lilia felt weakened but more in control. More balanced.

"Don't worry, child," a female voice purred in her head. "We are yours to command." The leopard female bowed down. "I am Va. He is Sil."

"What are your orders?" The hawk, no, a falcon. His voice sounded deep.

Her voice was barely a whisper, "Be free."

They both bowed before heading toward the Wastelands beyond the wall. Then, in one voice, they said, "When you need us, just call. We are still yours, after all."

And they disappeared.

Her tattoos tingled a little bit, then dulled in colour.

***

A grey-eyed boy watched while the new girl came back from the roof. His eyes widened in confirmation. This girl is the one, the one I was waiting for. She arrived just like that no-face man said she would.

He never let his gaze fall away from Lillia.

He thought with cold certainty. It's finally time.

 

2