The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 10
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had to rewrite quite a bit for the next part. So I hope you enjoy it.

Wastelands

Lilia jumped from one tree to the next, grabbing a branch and swiftly reaching out to the next. She allowed the trees' whisperings to guide her as she felt the wind soar around her, whipping against her clothes.

All that, with her headband wrapped tightly around her eyes. Even so, Lilia could still vaguely see three sets of eyes glowing so bright in the Wasteland's looming darkness.

The Wasteland was singing as usual but still messing up her senses. So, narrowing her field of vision helped a great deal. Besides, it was hardly missed. Out of all her senses, she needed her eyesight the least.

Nevertheless, she had so much fun moving without restraint. Lilia couldn't help but show off a little.

And she wasn't the only one.

"Woo-hoo!" screamed a very high-pitched female into her head. "This is so much fun!" Heather laughed with glee. Her pouting from earlier was long forgotten.

Lilia winced as the noise bounced around in her head. Being telepathic had many benefits, but volume control needed work.

Heather, Lilia sighed, our more energetic member. She turned to face her three team members and planted her feet on a tree trunk. While swinging past.

"Can you tone it down? You're giving me a headache," Lilia asked with a wince.

"Sorry," Heather said with a sad look. It hadn't lasted a minute until that mischievous grin slipped back on her face. She twirled around, not even hiding that she didn't need her feet and hands to manoeuvre around the trees.

Lilia rolled her eyes. Heather's hyper-that-she-might-be-on-crack personality was a little too much sometimes. That was why it was good to have Terran's more solid, down-to-earth character balance out Heather's craziness.

"Heather, just a minute ago, you were sulking because Headmistress Weatherly wouldn't let you drive the jeep." Her more solid and dependable twin brother scowled softly. Now you're happy?" Terran hesitated. "It's hard to keep track."

Heather stuck her tongue at him. "Are you calling me crazy? Yes! Yes, I am, but I'm also adaptable, little brother. I am having fun, but I still think it isn't fair that Bryson and Druid get to ride in style. At the same time, we're risking our lives out here. They always get special treatment."

Heather wasn't exactly wrong.

Terran sighed with resignation, looking defeated.

Heather grinned triumphantly, twirled around them effortlessly and laughed all the way.

Heather knew how to push his buttons, but Terran shouldn't always give in to her, either.

Lilia groaned. Heather may have been somewhat correct, but that didn't justify her behaviour, mainly when they were on a mission and each had a role. If students other than Bryson and Druid were spotted near Outpost 23, the mission would be in jeopardy.

Lilia stepped in with a stern tone. "Heather! This no"

"Sorry."

Lilia's mood soured. All she wanted to do was go back to sleep.

Then Lilia felt eyes on her, and that could be only one person, but she didn't turn her head to acknowledge him. Her mind went back to before they left Compound 8.

...about Druid's warning.

***

Druid's Warning

Lilia was about to set off. However, Druid's telepathic message came through: "May I speak with you privately?"

Startled, Lilia looked back to see Druid staring right at her. She was twirling her beautiful red hair around her finger like she always did when worried about something.

Lilia didn't know how to respond. She was still mad at her, but Druid wouldn't call her out in such a way if it weren't necessary…

"Please!" Druid insisted.

"Um, I forgot to give Druid something," Lilia said aloud. Maybe it was good that Druid wanted to talk because she wanted to talk to her, too.

"Can't this wait?" Headmistress Weatherly responded, impatient.

"It will only take a minute."

"Fine," the Headmistress reluctantly agreed. "Don't take too long."

Lilia moved closer to Druid. "I wanted to apologize for what I said earlier. I'm still angry, but I shouldn't have said that. I know you have good reasons for whatever you do."

"Thank you, but never mind that," Druid waved her hand dismissively. "Something is going to happen," She replied while steering Lilia away from the impatient-looking Bryson and their escort.

"What's going to happen?" Lilia whispered.

Druid paused, then took a deep breath before looking directly into Lilia's eyes. "Soon, you must step back and let me take control. No matter what your instincts tell you, "She whispered. "If not, something bad will transpire." Again, she paused before continuing, "Darkness-overflowing-and-agonizing-screaming bad."

When Lilia thought of darkness, it reminded her of… "Shadow… is somehow involved?"

"Most likely," Druid agreed. "That's the only thing that makes sense." She paused, swallowing.

"And the WMP?" asked Lilia. She noticed how startled Druid was when the WMP was mentioned earlier.

So that was why.

Druid nodded. "I don't know how, but they are involved somehow." It seemed vague, but that was how Druid was sometimes. She kept her cards close to her chest until she was sure.

Lilia pushed the WMP matter aside and focused more on Shadow. His odd behaviour had not gone unnoticed, and his obsession with Lilia was getting out of hand. Unfortunately, it wasn't going to be easy. Shadow was a highly trained assassin, and his power level topped everyone else in the group.

Lilia wouldn't lie; that scared her… a lot.

Present

Lilia couldn't deny that Druid's vision worried her. But right now, she needed to focus on the mission. She couldn't let her growing fear of Shadow overshadow control her actions... for now, at least.

Lilia stilled. Wait. I heard something!

She signalled the others to stop.

There, in the darkness, was a stirring of life. Guards were patrolling the surrounding areas—two of them and...? Barking dogs.

The guards were still a little beyond the tree line. Close enough to the outpost to run if any danger arises.

Lilia wasn't worried about the guards. But the dogs had already picked up their scent.

Before the dogs knew what they were smelling, Lilia took hold of their minds and redirected them elsewhere.

Animals were so much easier to persuade with her abilities than humans.

She gave the signal to the others. Heather dragged her brother with her telekinesis, and they disappeared, flying higher into the trees. Lilia reached forward, but before she grabbed Shadow's hand.

"I'm happy the boss ordered us to guard the party after this rotation. It's eerie as fuck out here," one guard said.

The other guard responded, "I know, and the cold..."

Guard the party? Well, that's curious.

She felt Shadow's touch. "We need to go." He whispered.

Lilia reached out as she braced herself for the upcoming feeling of cold and emptiness as she disappeared into the grey.

2