The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 13
20 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Screaming and shouting filled the room as the party was disrupted by a loud bang, followed by aftershocks almost knocking Bryson off his feet. He was used to sliding on ice, so he studied himself quickly.

"Druid," He Called out to Her just as she was about to fall. "Are you alright?"

Druid nodded her head in confirmation, giving Bryson a grateful smile.

Meanwhile, Major Hatten argued loudly with one of his guards before addressing everyone. "Nothing to worry about; that was merely a trap malfunction. It's already taken care of." He picked up some wine and raised it. So, eat, drink, and dance! Have fun!" Everyone laughed and smiled at one another, reassured.

That idiot, Bryson cursed silently; when he realized he couldn't contact Lilia, he cursed again.

"Do you want me to go after her?" Shadow asked.

At least the connection still worked, Bryson thought before he replied, "No, proceed with the plan." He straightened his tie, and with gritted teeth, he added, "As painful it is to admit, Lilia can hold her own."

There was a pause before Shadow answered, "We agree to disagree…but fine." That 'fine' empathized that if Lilia wasn't 'fine,' then Bryson was the one Shadow would go after. That was why Bryson didn't like dealing with Shadow. He knew from first-hand experience that Shadow would follow through, no matter the cost.

Bryson's shoulder blade ached just thinking about it.

"Terran, be prepared with immediate medical care," Bryson ordered. "I have a feeling that we are going to need it."

"Roger," Terran replied with a sombre tone.

With that matter in hand… Bryson focused more on Major Hatten, who was now speaking with Druid.

His obviously fake and very wrinkled uniform was decorated with counterfeit medals. It was like a circus or a costume party where he portrayed himself as the Commander-in-Chief. Everyone else seemed to be lapping it up.

Why?

He researched Major Hatten's history. He was a car sales associate. When the war began, any able person was obliged to enlist. He hid behind one of his rich cousins, even leaving his wife behind.

Who knew how Major Hatten was put in charge of a Compound? He was the aptitude of scum, and now he had the nerve to flirt with Druid…

Bryson's brow twitched, but he could only sigh.

Usually, Bryson would be opposed to Druid consorting with such a man. But how she led that odious man in a merry dance was amusing. Besides, this was all according to plan.

As he took a sip from his drink. Bryson watched as Major Hatten tried to lead Druid toward the back doors. His attention was plain to see. She, however, was having none of that and gracefully danced away from his touch, followed by a teasing laugh indicating that there were no hard feelings.

Anger overtook the 'good' Major's expression, and Bryson lightly touched his shoulder, reminding him that Druid was not alone.

"Major sir, if you are going to take her to another room, then I must come along," Bryson stated firmly.

"What are you, her bodyguard?" the Major sneered back.

"Oh no, quite the contrary, the lady can more than take care of herself," he answered smoothly, trying to restrain himself from ripping apart the pompous scum's face. "We are still under-aged, and Headmistress Weatherly has ordered us not to leave each other's side. Besides, we aren't allowed to wander too far from our chaperone."

He nodded his head towards the bookish-looking man who had escorted them in.

"And, of course, your guests will miss your commanding presence," Bryson continued. He raised his voice higher, catching the notice of nearby party-goers. "We wouldn't want that, would we?" Bryson glared at the man, ensuring that the Major understood his threat.

The Major's face pinched in suppressed anger. But like any good salesperson, he smiled and said, "Thank you. It's refreshing to see the younger generation taking an interest in politics. But it is time for me to greet my other guests." He offered his hand.

Bryson took a second to take his gloves off before reaching for the hand offered. Then, he internally braced himself as Major Hatten's past invaded his mind.

When the sideshow finished, the Major was out of earshot.

Before putting his glove back on, Bryson wiped his hands with a handkerchief and folded it, placing it neatly where he found it.

"You didn't have to do that, you know," Druid whispered, taking his arm and leading him to the dance floor.

"What?" He widened his eyes in false innocence. "Touching him or taking your toy away?"

"Both," she said, gracefully guiding him to lead while throwing her moves in the mix. A smile broke out. It made him proud to see her in his arms when she was in her element and happiest.

"Please, I only play the role you set up for me."

"And you play it so well," she admitted with a smile. Bryson could practically hear men and some women panting, not realizing that she did so with practiced calculations with every move she made. "Besides, he was getting a bit too 'hands-on' for my taste," she said, showing a little bit of her vulnerability. Bryson liked to think that he was the only Druid who showed that side of her.

She, like him, had an aversion to touch. Druid, due to an incident that had happened in her past. And with a skin-to-skin touch, Bryson received a piece of his victim's memories. With his near-perfect memories, it felt like an invasion—another stain that he wished to forget but never could.

For example, when Bryson accidentally touched Druid and saw something that he shouldn't have,

***

The fire was everywhere, but with it came the smell of burnt flesh.

A young-looking Druid was covered in black soot.

She fell to her knees, screaming, as her world was ending around her.

All the while, the flames crept closer.

***

Druid's memories, like many others, were still fresh in his mind. But they were Druid's memories like everything else about her; they were vital to him. Something awful had happened to Druid, and everything in him wanted to help her. But even he knew that he couldn't fix everything. So, all Bryson could do was wait.

"Sorry that I put you through that. I only want to confirm what I fear is true," Bryson replied, gritting his teeth. It was hard to admit that Lilia was right about something.

"The whole party is a trap. Major Hatten's plan was to gather all his roadblocks in one place, plus a couple of riff-raff to keep the official off the scent. He is planning to kill us all," Bryson stated with a tired sigh. "On his puppet master's orders."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Druid sighed. "Does he know the puppet master's name, or at least what he looks like?"

"The Major never met him." Bryson knew how bad that was.

"Well, that's not suspicious." Druid sighed. "Headmistress Weatherly won't like this."

Before he could say anything else, he was interrupted...

"We have to hurry! This place is rigged to explode!" Lilia shouted out with panic.

Druid and Bryson glanced at each other with widened eyes.

"Major Hatten doesn't know anything about that," Bryson confirmed before everything went to hell.

***

Shadow hummed as he went from one document to the next before stopping and leaning back leisurely in a very comfortable chair. "Phantom." A shadow-like creature floated out of the darkness. "Take these files and the hard drive to the Headmistress." Shadow got up slowly and paused. "And take the chair too."

The Major doesn't deserve such a luxurious chair.

When the Phantom didn't move. "What's the problem? Oh." Shadow's eyes moved to the two dead bodies near the door.

He had interrupted them, trying to open the safe. Shadow almost allowed them to live, impressed with their excellent safe-cracking skills, but they attacked him.

He shook his head with pity. Shadow had no use for anything except for the files. What a waste. Or maybe not. "Yes, you can take them. Hopefully, they'll make better Phantoms." As the bodies were sucked into the shadows, the Phantom soon followed.

Shadow was about to leave himself when Lee's voice snapped sharply in his mind.

"We have to hurry! This place is rigged to explode!" Lee shouted out with panic.

He stopped but continued to step into the shadows. It was better to meet up with the twins than to find Lilia. Besides, Shadow felt a chilling grin forming on his lips. If she needed help, it would only confirm what needed to be done.

"Ha, like that would make any difference." No matter what, Shadow's plan must succeed.

2