The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 17
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Headmistress is very Grey.

Headmistress's Office

"What is wrong with you!?" shouted Headmistress Weatherly. "You're lucky that you came back alive." After arriving at Compound 8, the Lumeye was rushed into Headmistress Weatherly's office. Statson and Rachel waited outside.

The six stood at attention, army style, back straight and hands linked behind their backs. Other than that, they all looked like a mess. Even the neat and proper Bryson looked like death warmed over. While Headmistress Weatherly's appearance was so pristine and tidy, it was hard not to be intimidated.

It wasn't an act; the woman was ruthless, always looking for an angle, which made her unpredictable and very scary. If she zeroed in on someone, look out!

"First, Lilia, you separated from your partner: that is a big no-no! Always work in pairs no matter the situation." Headmistress Weatherly was in her face, but Lilia tried to keep facing forward. She winced. Her ears were ringing. "Your idea to be the bait was an inspired one but unnecessary, and it had too many risks. You should have returned to the compound even if there was a hint of something going wrong." Headmistress Weatherly poked her manicured blood-red nail pointedly into Lilia's chest. Lilia winced silently. "You have good instincts, so use them. What good are you if you are dead, hmm?"

Lilia knew the Headmistress would only accept one answer. "Yes, Ma'am." But she gritted her teeth, not because of the lecture but because of Bryson. He was purposely triggering her telepathy with a smirking message.

"You deserve more than this, you bitch." Bryson's taunting voice echoed in Lilia's head. "You're the one responsible for almost getting Druid killed. I promised I would pay you back ten-fold for what you did."

Lilia rolled her eyes and didn't even bother responding. The guy's a tool.

Her attention turned back to the Headmistress. "This will not go unpunished," she promised. Lilia paled.

The last time she was punished, she peeled potatoes and washed dishes like no tomorrow, and her sister was beside her. Whenever Lilia was punished, Stella was as well. So, she had not only Headmistress Weatherly's wrath to endure but Stella's.

Headmistress Weatherly stalked toward her next prey. This time, it was Bryson's turn.

"I know what you are thinking, Bryson." She shook her head and clicked her tongue. "You are still petty enough to relish every time I lecture Lilia. You are not in any position to criticize her. But, for having a brilliant mind, you certainly don't use it when your heart gets in the way." She gave Druid a pointed look, who had the guile to wave. "Leading you into doing the most idiotic of things."

"Ma'am, I…" Bryson started, but she held out her hand in silence.

"I put you two together not only because you look good together, and that's great for my image…  um, I mean the Compound's image," the Headmistress coughed out. "But I needed you to keep Druid in line when she has one of her episodes. Not to follow her around like a lost puppy." Headmistress Weatherly waved her hand to the door, where Rachel and Statson were waiting in the lobby. "You're the reason why I have two WMP inspectors who are waiting outside my door."

Even though Lilia liked to see Bryson squirm, she spoke up for him anyway. "Ma'am, ignoring Druid's visions has proven disastrous."

"Yes," Headmistress Weatherly gave Lilia a hard stare before continuing to speak with Bryson, "I know that. I will consider that when deciding on your punishment. However, the fundamental fact is that when you have a mission, you must concentrate on it. Not on irrelevant details. I have half a mind to separate you," She paused, letting the words sink in, knowing that threat would make Bryson think. "This is just a warning, but if this happens again...." The Headmistress just stared, leaving it to the imagination, before shifting her gaze. "Let's move on, shall we?"

Headmistress Weatherly picked up the folder on her desk and sat in the corner, tapping the folder against her palm. "Well, the mission wasn't a total failure. Shadow managed to acquire a lot of information to comb through. Although Major Hetton is dead, his contacts are not so that opportunities will arise. What worries me the most is Major Hetton's unknown backer. He supported the Major financially. So far, this person has covered his tracks well. Our main priority is to identify him as quickly as possible."

"Other than Shadow. Heather and Terran did especially well," she added like it was an afterthought. "They actually followed orders and stepped up when the need arose. Good work."

The twins high-fived before returning to attention.

"Now go and get your wounds treated, and for God's sake, and change your clothes!" The Headmistress waved them away, reaching for the coffee on her desk. "Lilia, stay. Let's chat some more."

Lilia felt everyone leave while nervously waiting for Headmistress Weatherly's next move.

"Lillie, can we talk about the telepathy disconnection?" The Headmistress pressed.

Lilia swallowed. "I don't know what happened."

"Just stick to the bare minimum."

"Okay," Lilia continued. "I was knocked around all over the place during the explosion. After that, for some reason, I could barely send messages."

"But the rest still held the connection. Interesting." Headmistress Weathery mused as she eyed Lilia. "Although very dangerous, don't you agree? Lilia, you could have easily died down there."

Lilia remembered what happened when she was alone; it was a frightening experience. "Yes, Ma'am."

"You might not be so lucky next time," the Headmistress warned, picking up her tablet and making a note. "The telepathy connection requires further testing to prevent it from happening again."

"Yes, Ma'am." Lilia's stomach sank. She didn't like the sound of that.

"Let's move on, shall we?" The Headmistress placed the pictures that Lilia took on her desk. Lilia didn't want to look at them; it left her sick stomach. "Lilia, you've stumbled into the underbelly of the compound and had some interesting experiences. Thoughts?"

Lilia paused, saying, "It was a dumping ground for the trash, the bodies, the experiment…"

"The people at the party?"

"The way that the explosives were set up near the cliffside. And all the outside exits were either blocked or locked. So, yes, they were lured there to be disposed of," she confirmed.

She smiled, which chilled Lilia to the core.

"I might have a use for the Marshalls, after all."

***

After Headmistress Weatherly permitted her to leave, Lilia passed the two WMP police inspectors in the waiting room, with two guards on either side.

Lilia nodded towards Miss Andres, who was handling the front desk.

The sharp-eyed woman nodded in acknowledgment before turning back to her work. Every time they crossed paths, she set off Lilia's danger senses. The woman was a force to be reckoned with.

She barely glanced at the waiting Marshalls, especially not at Rachel. She was bringing back memories she'd rather not deal with, even if the memories were good ones.

Rachel stood up. The guards tensed, and Assistant Andres' eyes sprang up, ordering. "Miss Lui, please sit down."

Rachel put out her hands in submission. "I just want to talk to Lillie for a second. Please?" she pleaded.

Miss Andres considered it for a moment before agreeing. "Okay, but make it quick." She signalled for the guards to stand down. "Headmistress Weatherly doesn't like to wait."

"Lillie…" she began.

"I don't think it's a good time." Talking to Rachel was the last thing she wanted to do.

"Lillie, just listen to me, okay?" she breathed, her hazel eyes insistent. "I have a million questions. What happened when you disappeared? What happened earlier? I have been looking for you and your family for a long time." Lilia was unresponsive and felt Rachel's frustration, but she didn't know what to say. "Please give me something."

"Stella is here," Lilia offered before turning her back and walking away.

She didn't want to think how much seeing Rachel meant to her. How did it bring back memories she didn't want to consider, memories of her mother…Lilia breathed painfully. How much Rachel helped her when she most needed it after her breakdown. Lilia was glad that Rachel was safe, but she didn't know why Rachel was there.

She felt numb. It wasn't the time to think about the past; I had too much to handle, at least for right now. Rachel could wait.

First, she had to get treated. Then, she wanted to get some much-needed sleep. In the morning, she probably needed to return to class.

Lilia sighed again. How stressful and tiring. All she wanted to do was go to sleep.

Catching up to the others, she found Heather bouncing excitedly. She told anyone who could hear how she had gotten a part she needed to finish her experimental engine. Lilia smiled; this was all she needed: them and Stella. Anything more was just too much.

Lilia's thoughts were interrupted by a gloved hand shoving her against the wall. She resisted the urge to push back as she looked up to see Bryson's angry face.

It's not like I didn't see this coming.

2