The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 19
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That woman is terrifying." She was glad that she was only grazed by Headmistress Weatherly, but Statson received a dozen bullets to the chest, and he was lucky to get out of there alive.

That woman was like a hound who kept digging and digging until she found the pile of bones. Then, she started again at a different location, repeating the process.

"Can sniff out a lawyer type a mile away," Statson huffed. His feathers were certainly ruffled. "Never liked them, snakes the lot of them."

"Yeah," Rachel swallowed. She had difficulty putting her thoughts into words but knew she needed to clarify things with Statson. Rachel breathed in and spoke, "You know, I…."

"Now, Girly," Statson interrupted, staring at her right in the eyes. "I don't know your deal, and I don't rightly care. I might be asking a lot from you, but from how things are going, I need to know that you have my back if things get dicey."

Rachel squared her shoulders. Even with her issues, the answer was immediate. "Yes, Sergeant."

"Good." Statson nodded. You may be green, but you have a good head on your shoulders…plus, I highly doubt we have a place to return to."

"Are you going to accept her offer?" she asked Statson.

"We don't have much choice, do we?" he answered angrily, but his voice had an undertone of defeat. He took off his hat and dusted off the imaginary dust.

"That woman knew too much." Rachel clenched her fist. She knew the real reason I was here. She kept focusing on Statson because she knew I was no challenge. I was where I wanted to be.

"Yeah, she's a sneaky bitch, that one." Statson agreed, nodding his head. Rachel almost smiled at Statson's remark.            

Even though she found herself here, it was like a dream. It didn't seem real. There were still things that baffled her, and she still had many unanswered questions, like Lilia being a Lumeye. How had that happened?

Talking to Lilia was no help at all. When living with the Spencer family, Lilia seemed withdrawn, and who wouldn't be after what had happened to her? But she still could smile. The current Lilia... Rachel didn't know what to think.

Lilia said Stella was here, but what about the girls' mother, Melanie?

A woman with a mousey appearance appeared out of nowhere, startling her and forcing Rachel to step back. "Whoa? Where did you come from?"

The woman smiled. "I get that a lot. My name is Miss Andres, Headmistress Weatherly's assistant."

Rachel glanced at Statson, waiting for the lecture on situational awareness, but it didn't come. Instead, he looked just as startled, and his blue eyes turned to wariness. Someone who even got the drop on Statson must be very dangerous.

He reached for his non-existent weapon and cursed. Andres's eyes followed his every movement.

"If you wish for a weapon. I am more than happy to provide you with one." Andres' voice was professional, but there was steel in her eyes.

Those Lumeye and this woman? What is Headmistress Weatherly preparing for?

Statson responded gruffly, "What do you want, anyhow?"

"Since the Headmistress dismissed your guards, it would be impolite to leave you without a guide, especially since the young woman needs medical treatment." Then paused briefly before adding, "She should be here momentarily."

"Who?" Rachel asked.

Suddenly, a blur of movement slammed into her. Instinctively, Rachel braced herself. They were then relaxed, realizing that the person was too small to be a threat. A child?

"I believe no introductions are necessary." Andres winked before disappearing into nothingness.

Rachel smiled at the brown-haired little girl settling in her arms, looking up at her through her oversized frames. The girl was older was older, but she was definitely Stella.

"I missed you so much."

Rachel bends over to return the hug. "I missed you too, Stella."

She got lost in the moment until she heard the Sergeant clearing his throat.

They both looked up.

"And who is this?" He looked calmer but was still hot under the collar, though his eyes had questions. Questions that needed answers.

"This is Stella, the youngest daughter I used to stay with while I had a…falling out with my family." Addressing Stella. "This is Sergeant Statson, my superior."

"Hello, Sergeant," Stella greeted.

Statson's stern gaze turned to jelly. "Just Statson, kiddo and you have a sister, right?"

Stella nodded. "Lillie!"

"Hmm, Lazybones, huh," he stated thoughtfully.

"Sergeant?" He must have picked up her conversation with Lillie. Or maybe even before that, he's a very intuitive man.

"Did that dummy do something?" Stella questioned.

"No," Rachel denied. "We barely talked."

Lillia didn't want to talk.

"Hmm," Stella looked thoughtful.

"Alrighty, then?" His gaze still held hers before letting it go. It relieved her that he didn't want to pry even with all that information.

"Where's your mother?" She turned her attention towards the twelve-year-old, but she didn't want to know the answer when she saw the pained look in Stella's eye. Rachel had a dreadful feeling. "Is she still alive?

"Don't know," she said with such sorrow that it was almost palpable.

Rachel just stood there, and those same feelings had taken over her that day, four years ago. When all she could do was look at that damn red tape overtook her once again.

So, it was not over after all.

***

Eyes watched the humans, especially the female. His eyes were cold.

This human is my competition. Really?

This messed up human.

So full of contradiction.

So full of flaws.

No matter how little of a threat she was.

Her closeness to Lee was more than enough to sign her death warrant.

It tasted like cranberries.

Soon, she will be nothing but dust.

But first, it's time to teach the others a lesson.

***

Much later, Lilia finally found her room. She wanted to flump down on her bed and not get up. She would have stayed in bed for days if room inspections weren't a thing.

Damn inspections. It makes it hard to get a decent nap. Granted, Lilia’s version of a decent nap was sleeping through the day and missing school… missing everything, but still.

And then, right before she felt that sweet bliss… “Lillie! Stop!” Lilia stopped, turning to see her tormenter in front of her: her own sister, who happened to be her roommate.

“At least change your clothes and wash up. I just cleaned in here,” Stella scolded. Lilia’s eyes focused on the room. Stella's side was neat and tidy, with computer parts neatly categorized on the nearby table. On Lilia’s, it was less messy than usual. Oh, she could see her bed….

Sighing, I might as well. Lilia managed, dragging herself to the shower in the next room, but stopped.

“Did you meet up with Rachel?” Lilia asked, a little curious. She heard that Stella gave Rachel and the big guy a quick tour.

“Yes, she’s great.” Stella was beaming. “I’m, you know… glad that she’s still alive.”

“Yeah,” Lilia said absentmindedly.

“You know, it’s not going to kill you to be glad to see her.” Stella sat back down on her bed. “I know you miss her just as much as I do.”

Okay, it's time to change the subject.

“You know I got a new mimic today.” Lilia piped up.

Stella stared at her for a long time but sighed, giving Lilia a pass. “Really? Anything useful?”

“Could be, could be,” Lilia said. “It’s a nondescript male guard. But, with training, he could be a good fit.” Training her mimics was crucial because she couldn’t depend on her Lumeye abilities while in mimic form. So, keeping them in top shape was a matter of survival for her.

“Another guy?” Stella winced. “Are you okay with that?”

Lilia grimaced. “It won’t be a fun experience.” Unfortunately, however, she only had one male and two female mimics. If any of them had been helpful for the Outpost situation, Lilia would have gladly used one of them, but alas, that wasn’t the case. “But, even so, if I got him, why not use him?”

“If you say so,” Then a glint sparked in her eyes. “Can I watch and make measurements?” Stella sounded a little too eager.

“Well…”

“Come on, stop teasing; you know it's my job,” Stella fumed.

Stella was the main data analyst for Lilia and the other Lumeye, so yes. It was technically her job if Lilia had a new mimic to test. But it was hard not to tease when Stella sounded so excited. She was like this every time something new was discovered.

“Yeah! Yeah,” Lilia agreed, but she remembered something. The Headmistress is mad at me again, so we’ll probably get punished.” Lilia closed the door just in time as something slammed into it with a thud.

“You…” Stella fumed. “I’m going to kill you!”

Lilia opened the door and poked her head out. She might as well hammer the nail the rest of the way in. “Oh, I almost forgot. I also broke my headphones. Can you fix them for me?” Lilia closed the door again as her sister threw something bigger.

2