The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 23
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Knarly Tree

Lilia was trying to sleep when she heard footsteps approaching.

What is this? No one would come this way unless it were lunchtime or a special event, which was why this tree was one of her favourite sleeping spots. Lilia opened her cyan eyes, but what met her gaze made her wish she didn't bother.

Coming toward Lilia was five, no six, Red Sashes, dragging along a Blue Sash girl. They had that smirk that said, it's time to show the newbie why it is better to be a red sash.

Lilia couldn't help but roll her eyes. This scene happened more than Lilia cared to admit.

"Ha, Blue Sash, get up," sneered one of the Red Sashes.

At that point, Lilia only wanted to get up and leave. In situations like these, Lilia usually just ignored them. Either one of two things would have happened. Either they were satisfied with just throwing a couple of insults her way, or it would get physical. She'd let it happen. Yes, Lilia could beat their asses, but she couldn't afford the attention that would bring.

Now, things were different. They brought someone with them, and the kid looked scared.

She stretched lazily, then pulled her headphones off. She didn't want Stella to yell at her for breaking yet another set of headphones.

"Ha, guys, what this about," Lilia asked casually.

Lilia looked over the Red Sashes and sighed again. They were all Vine survivors, stronger and faster than the average human. So, it would be more challenging not to kill them.

"Let's show the newbie how this place works." Another Red Sash clenched his fist and moved toward Lilia with purpose.

"Wow, No insults today. Must have a busy day planned." Lilia moved into a fighting stance.

"Shut up you!" He charged in.

Lilia ducked as his fist missed her face and slammed into the tree. Ow, that looked painful—poor tree.

He screamed out in pain. "You little…" That was when the others stepped in.

One kicked from her left, while another punched from her right. Lilia saw each coming and moved out of their way. They crashed into each other, arms and legs tangled.

Others took their place.

Lilia continued avoiding their pouches and kicks while utilizing their momentum against them. All with minimal contact. She wasn't fighting with her usual direct yet instinctive style because she didn't want to hurt anyone. Instead, Lilia decided to use Druid's fighting style.

However, Lilia's chunky movements weren't as graceful in comparison.

On the other hand, these Red Sashes were fighting like thugs. They were only throwing their weight around and nothing else.

Lilia clicked her teeth. For active Red Squad members, that wasn't good. Captain Bard, their training officer, would probably kick their asses sooner or later… if they didn't end up dead.

However, for Lilia, it was disappointing. If she was going to fight, at least make it more interesting. I even gave them a handicap.

Then she felt eyes watching her. Turning, Lilia found Stella and that man, Statson. Was it? They were both standing next to the Blue Sash girl. Statson didn't step forward to help, but Lilia didn't mind; she didn't need his help with these idiots. Someone tried to take advantage of the distraction striking at her head, but she quickly kicked him away. The fight soon ended as all the Red Sashes fell at her feet, exhausted.

"See, little girl, how she uses her strength against them without getting exhausted? They pretty much defeated themselves. These tactics work best when fighting against bigger opponents or small groups—the kind that underestimated their opponents. So, you better observe and use this as a building block for your training," Statson advised, crouching down to speak eye to eye with the blue sash girl.

The girl watched with wide eyes, taking his advice to heart. "Yes, Sir."

"Sergeant, not Sir." Statson stepped up and yelled at the Red Sashes. "Get going, or I'll have to tell your commanding officer of your shenanigans. Now get."

The Red Sashes scrambled away, and the Blue Sash girl did the same, but not before bowing and saying thanks.

"Thank you, Sir," Lilia responded, kind of impressed with Statson.

"Sergeant, not Sir," Statson stated, his tone changed from a gentle one to a growl. "You didn't need any help, but you're certainly going to need help from me as soon as I get through with you."

Not knowing what was going on, Lilia glanced at Stella for help.

Stella mouthed, your new team leader.

Light bulbs flashed. That note! She knew she should have shown up to that meeting. Lilia gulped, seeing how furious the cowboy hat guy was, and his thoughts weren't making her feel any better.

"I'm going to stuff this brat into a sack and throw it into the garbage." And it got worse from there.

All Lilia could do was stand at attention.

"I am Sergeant Statson, your team leader. After I get through with you, you will never miss another training session again," he barked at her. "Now, where the hell is that Shadow boy?"

She put her feelers out and got nothing. Well, that is odd. Come to think of it. Lilia hadn't noticed him in a while. The last time she had seen him was last night. Shadow usually doesn't disappear for this long. This isn't good.

"He is not here, Sir." Lilia had a bad feeling.

"Sergeant, not Sir. Then where the hell is he?"

"This is not good, not good," whispered Stella. She has been around long enough to know what Shadow was capable of.

"I think we may be in trouble."

***

Training Arena

Druid was running around the training gym and having a good old time. She wasn't even breathing heavily. That wasn't surprising to Rachel; the girl could dance.

Then suddenly, without warning, Druid stumbled and fell flat on her face.

Rachel rushed over. "Are you all right?"

Druid got up slowly, and there was panic in her eyes. "No, Bryson. No!" she whispered in a panic. "Get out, please get out!"

"What are you saying?" Rachel asked, her eyebrows furrowing together. It felt like Druid was seeing something she didn't want to see.

"It's too late, too late!" she sobbed. Sparks were steaming off of her.

Rachel stepped back. "Hey." Rachel didn't know much about Lumeye's abilities, but it looked like Druid was trying to teleport but failing.

Rachel watched on helplessly as Druid kept on repeating. "It's too late!"

***

Library

 

Bryson was alone and surrounded by books and wouldn't have it any other way. Books were the centre of knowledge. Everything started and ended with a book. History, Science, Fantasy, Fiction—it didn't matter. Every book had a basis of truth; thus, there was something to learn from it, especially books predating the war. Ever since the Wasteland's existence, much knowledge has been lost. So, every book found was a treasure.

Books were Bryson's haven, his place to read uninterrupted by the human masses. So even though he was superior in every way to all that human garbage, he couldn't fault them for creating books.

Also, Bryson needed this time to himself. He was still seething about what had occurred with Headmistress Weatherly and… Lilia, that bitch. That lazy, good-for-nothing girl. He was so much better than her in every way.

Bryson breathed in the sweet smell of knowledge and instantly calmed down. It was best to leave those thoughts at the library's entrance.

Bryson removed his gloves so he could feel the book directly. He closed his eyes.

One of the things he liked about his ability was that he could feel the author's presence etched in every word. Their experiences, impressions, struggles, and much more. It was exhilarating to know so much.

And with his near-perfect memory, he would never forget any of it.

Bryson was so absorbed in the written word that he heard something odd. Bewildered, he called out, "Who's there?"

"Bryson, huh? I would never have guessed that anything about you was redeemable." A chuckle. "Besides, Druid, of course. Do wonders never cease?" A voice whispered in his ear.

Startled, Bryson instead got up on his feet. "You." Turning to find no one there. Bryson's instincts were screaming at him to get away; Bryson ignored them. Instincts should always take a back burner to reason.

Bryson would realize later that ignoring his instincts was a big mistake.

His hand grasped the hilt at his side. He asked, "Why are you here?"

"It is of no importance. I just decided that you would be first." Then Shadow walked out of the darkness, and Bryson knew that Shadow was serious. So, Bryson grasped his hilt with one hand, channelling his ice to form a blade, and with the other, he created a shield. He knew that further hesitation would be his downfall.

It might already be too late.

2