Rippled Mirage: Chapte 28
8 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Towa

Allowing her foresight to lead her the way, Druid finally caught up with Bryson and Statson, who were talking to someone. A woman who looked older than Druid, maybe mid-twenties or early thirties? She was pretty with light brown hair and bright eyes.

She must be their guide. Oh, no matter.

Druid was excited to be reunited with Bryson. She hugged him from behind, laying her face between his shoulder blades, ensuring she didn't touch his skin, and whispered sweetly into his ear, "Found you."

She felt the boy's back stiffen before he relaxed into Druid's embrace. "Druid," he breathed out.

Druid snaked around to get a better look at his face. "Worried?" tilting her head in bemusement.

 "No, no, I wasn't worried." Bryson denied it, avoiding eye contact. "Anyway, you're too reckless stepping out like that. You could have easily gotten hurt or captured." He went into lecture mode.

Druid bit her lip, trying not to smile. He's so cute when he's trying to act tough. "So you didn't miss me?" She teased.

Bryson looked like he was being insulted. "Of course, I do I…." He stopped talking as Druid burst out laughing. "What?"

 "Sorry, sorry." Her laughter turned into giggles as she stared into his ice-blue eyes. "I'm just relieved, that's all." Druid looked Bryson over. "But I'm surprised you went out looking like that." When he saw Bryson's confused face, Druid reached out to play with Bryson's hair. "Your hair's all over the place."

Bryson's eyes widened in horror as he pulled out a mirror. Where did he get hold of a mirror, of all things? Who knows? "Why didn't anyone tell me?" He fussed around with his hair in almost a panic.

He's so cute.

"Quit with the flirting already." Statson interrupted with a roll of his eyes. "Don't forget we're on the run?" He paused and glanced at the woman at his side. "And we're not alone."

Druid turned to the woman and replied brightly. "Hi, my name is Druid." She Waved. "And you are…." The woman gave Druid a slow, long look, accessing her and searching for something. Like she was trying to see through Druid's façade. Then, in an instant, that feeling was going. Druid tilted her head in thought. "Have we met before?"

"No." She answered abruptly. The woman turned to Statson. "Can we get moving already? I'm not getting paid for idling around."

"Okay." Statson sighed, addressing Druid. "This is Brit. She's going to be our guide."

"I don't trust her," Bryson stated, arms crossed. His hair looked much better."

I don't care. This is the only chance we have." Statson glanced at Druid and stepped closer to Bryson. "Unless you want to go through quarantine." He whispered so Brit wouldn't hear.

Bryson and Druid glanced at each other. Bryson could turn invisible, so going through quarantine might be an option. "No, you're right. The sensory alone would be a nightmare to fool." He added. "And I'm not leaving Druid behind."

"I thought so." Statson nodded, turning to Brit. "So, Brit, where are these tunnels at?"

Brit was tapping her feet impatiently. Then, when hearing her name, she moved to the aluminum-covered wall. "Just go through here." She opened it up, and beyond was a long, dank tunnel surrounded by building material and garbage. "This is the one that leads to the outside, but it's quite the trip. There are other options if you want a shorter route, but I won't take you. I'm not getting paid enough."

Statson bent down to get a better look. "You call that safe, and you're saying there's more like this? I am surprised this whole place hadn't caved in. And the City council hadn't done anything about the hole?"

"Why would the city council care what happens down here?" Brit laughed. "Besides, what the Council doesn't know can't hurt us."

"Yeah, Statson, you're not even a cop anymore, so quit with the interrogation," Druid teased Statson.

Druid felt Brit's lingering gaze once again.

"Yeah, yeah." Statson moved to lead the way. "So, let's get a move on already."

Brit gripped onto Statson's arm. "Wait! Make sure to follow me and do exactly as I tell you. We're still travelling underneath the Wasteland, and it's dangerous."

"Fine." Statson stepped aside, allowing Brit to lead.

"And keep these handy." Brit handed them breathing masks. "In some places, the air's a little thin. Okay, let's go." She stepped inside, and Statson followed.

Druid was about to follow, but Bryson stopped her. "I don't trust her." He whispered. "Do you see the way she was looking at you?"

"Of course, I have. I'm not blind." Druid's tone, for once, was grave. "But I see no other path but this one." Her tone became bright. "And I want to see where this leads. Who knows, we might be surprised." She giggled. "Exciting, isn't it?"

"That's not how I would phrase it," Bryson's tone was grim. "But I'll play along."

Druid clapped her hands together. "Excellent." Grabbing onto Bryson's sleeve. "Let's hurry. They're leaving us behind."

She whispered a promise in her mind: Bryson, this time, I will not let you get hurt again, no matter the cost, even if you don't like it.

***

Wastelands

Four people were standing around the truck, relaxing. Then suddenly, one of them disappeared, and then another. Suddenly, the other two went on alert, but it was already too late.

Shadow was dragging the last one into his shadow world when a popping sound came to the left, and a body fell.

"Missed one." A soft voice reached Shadow's ears as Andres stepped into view, her gun smoking.

"So, we're not keeping any of them for questioning," Shadow asked as his shadows swallowed up the body.

Andres shook her head. "They're just grunts, so asking is a waste of time. Besides, they're more useful as breadcrumbs anyway." She gave Shadow a long look. "Should I ask what you will do with the bodies?"

Shadow paused, compilating, telling her the truth: He needed the bodies for his Phantoms and would make more. Would Andres be horrified? Probably not, and that wouldn't be interesting at all. Instead, he just smiled mysteriously. "Would you believe I'm trying to keep predators away?"

"No," Andres answered immediately. "Keep your secrets. I don't want to know."

"Good choice," Shadow phrased. Then suddenly, a small body dropped on his head before jumping to the ground. Her hair was standing on end. "Va, what's wrong?" She changed into her leopard form before bouncing off.

Andres and Shadow glanced at each other before following. It wasn't long before they discovered what Vas was so upset about.

In the clearing, a small waterfall flowed down the side of a cliff. There was something behind the rushing water. A cave? The problem was ….

"Shh." Andres moved for cover in the tall grass behind a looming tree, and Shadow kept with her. Both were low to the ground. Shadow watched as a group marched informally past. Shadow's senses were going crazy; there was something very wrong with them.

As soon as the coast was clear, Andres spoke in a hushed tone. "That smell. Are they…?"

Shadow agreed that the smell was undeniable but closed his eyes and reached out. As he felt something respond, he opened his eyes and breathed out. "They're definitely not alive," he said.

Andres had a thoughtful look. "Since they're dead, I don't suppose you can do anything about them. Right?"

Shadow shook his head. "I don't deal with Zombies, only Phantoms. At most, I could feed off them." His gaze swept the area, and he spotted several more groups littering the clearing. "And my stomach isn't that big."

Andres sighed. "I thought as much."

"But I don't think that's the issue here," Shadow added.

"Then what is?" Andres asked.

"The way they're just standing there, there's no doubt about it." Shadow's gaze turned cold.

"I don't like where this is heading."

"Neither do I," Shadow agreed. But I could only see one possibility." He paused with a swallow. Someone managed to find a way to control them or…."

"Or?"

"There might be another Death Elemental nearby." He delivered with a finishing blow.

Andres flopped her head down in defeat. "Great, just great!"

***

Deeper within the hideout. Rachel and Stella were pushed into a room, the door locked behind them.

Rachel turned around, fuming, and kicked at the door. "Hey, what the hell? Geeze," she said as she flopped around and slid down the door. "What do they want already?" When her venting met with silence, she looked up. "Stella?"

Stella was just standing there staring through the bars that separated from the next room. "Someone's in there."

"Stay back." Rachel got up quickly and pulled Stella back and behind her. "Who's there!"

At first, Rachel could only detect something metal scraping against the concrete floor before a woman with long gray hair appeared. She had a chain wrapped around her feet. "Don't worry, child, I mean no harm." The woman looked past Rachel. "Oh my."

Rachel was still wary. "Who are you!"

However, Rachel was ignored. "Are you… Melanie, is that you." The old woman leaned closer. "No, not Melanie, too young, but there is no denying the similar facial features." Her brow furrowed. "And I see some of 'him' as well, especially around the nose."

Stella rallied as realization dawned on her face. "Do you know my mother?" As she moved forward, Rachel stopped her.

"Stella…" Rachel's voice commanded. "Stay behind me."

The twelve-year-old looked up at Rachel. "Rachel, please, she knew my mother. I need to know."

The woman's face turned to sadness. "Oh, child, you shouldn't be here."

"Let me handle it." Rachel stepped closer, repeating, "Like I said, who are you." She spoke slowly.

The old woman finally took notice of Rachel. "Ah yes, introductions must be made." She straightened. "My name is Dr. Sara Ramirez, and I am… was your mother's mentor."

2