Rippled Mirage: Chapter 31
6 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ruined City

Terran was exhausted. He leaned against the doorway, watching Tessa sleep. Finally restful, she had no signs of pain. Tessa appeared to be doing a lot better. However, she had a long way to go, and Terran would be far happier to get out of there so she could be checked over by a professional.

Someone who wasn't a fourteen-year-old boy and had only the know-how of a field medic despite his healing ability. Sigh, quite frankly, he was lucky that it went well.

Terran felt someone staring at him. Looking up, he found Wallace sitting in the corner. His dark face was pale. There was a moment of silence before Wallace simply nodded. Then his attention turned back to Tessa as the incident had never happened.

Terran forced himself to move from the comfy wall and then walked out. A small smile formed on his lips. He whispered. "You're welcome."

Stretching his arms in exhaustion, he strolled to the back room and knocked. "Captain?" He called out. "I would like to report."

There was nothing but silence. Terran was about to call out again…. "Come in." Captain Bard's voice echoed. Terran opened the door and stepped inside to find himself what looked like a Coms system, similar to the one the Captain used not too long ago. The older man had his back to the door and had a set pressed to one ear. "Close the door behind you." He didn't bother turning his head.

Now more worried than ever, Terran quickly closed the door and stepped forward. "Captain, I want to report on something." It could be nothing, but Terran wanted to tell the Cap what he had discovered since things calmed down.

Captain Bard didn't turn his back. "Go ahead."

Terran swallowed. "It had an incision on the Zombie's neck, and underneath, it looked like something was implanted under the skin."

"Like a tracking chip." Bard supplied.

"Yes." Terran nodded. "But why would they do that? Wouldn't something like that be counterproductive, even here, radio waves…"

"Shh." Then Captain Terence leaned forward and pressed a button. Static filled the room, then…. "…Do you have those two kids secured?"

"… We're bringing them in now."

"Let's get back to base…."

"Aren't we supposed to wait for Conner to bring the Castie Heirness…"

"Time is running out. Between the Protector's attack and the Zombies… They're a lost cause."

"Ah damn…Boss won't like that….

The Captain removed his thumb from the button, and the voices stopped. Captain Bard slowly turned to face Terran. "They seem to have found a way. I don't know why they put tracking chips in Zombies, but I know one thing: the Nomads were right, and with Mr. Tanner's betrayal, this is most certainly a trap."

Terran nodded in agreement. "And the captured kids?"

"No doubt, Mr. Sinclair and Miss. Marrow," the Captain confirmed.

"What are we going to do?" Terran asked.

"Nothing." Captain Bard's gaze moved past Terran; his eyes were full of meaning. "We are in no position to help."

"Then…"

"Let's hope that Miss. Collins would get there on time." Captain Bard advised.

His eyes widened. Heather was supposed to go after Katy and Daniel. He completely forgot, but with what Heather just did … "Should I be relieved or…?"

"Both."

***

Meanwhile….

"Ah damn, the Boss won't like that." A guard groaned into the radio.

"Yeah, I wouldn't like…."

"Farris." Someone up ahead called out. "We have a live one up here."

"Hold on," Farris said into the walkie, looking behind him. There were Katy and Daniel with their hands tied and gagged, with a couple of guns pointing at their back. "Watch them!"

"Yes, Sir."

When he came closer, a girl was trapped underneath a pile of rubble. "She looks like one of the Compound students."

"Is she the Castie heiress?" he asked hopefully.

Farris moved to have a better look, but the girl's skin was tanned, and her hair had green streaks. "No, not Castie," he inspected the rest of her body. "She is not infected with Vine," he clicked his tongue with disappointment. "She would have been a perfect specimen. Too bad."

"Why."

"Are you going to dig her out? I'm not. We're sitting ducks out here." Farris asked sarcastically. "So it's a mercy just to shoot her now before the Zombies could get her."

"I thought the Boss said they're called the Ridden."

Farris rolled his eyes. "I don't care what…."

Suddenly, a loud sound echoed, and Farris suddenly had a big hole in his chest. Then he flopped over dead.

The person kneeling got up quickly, pointing his gun at the building above, but he was shot seconds later.

The others looked at each other before grabbing the only shields available, Katy and Daniel, and began to shoot randomly. But it was fruitless. A shot rang out, and the one on the left was dead before his knees hit the ground. The remaining man began to run, but he didn't get far.

Danial and Katy just stood there and didn't know how to react, but they quickly got to work when there were no more shots. Katy started searching the bodies as Daniel walked to see who was buried underneath the rubble. they

Suddenly, the rocks trembled and flew to the side, and Daniel couldn't help but stumble back.

 While the dust was clearing, the girl underneath got up and stretched. "Ah, my body aches." Then, staring down at Daniel, "I can't believe you got caught by these guys." When there was no answer again. "Hmm?" Then, realization dawned. "Oh, you can't speak." The girl sighed. She kneeled and worked on Daniel's restraints.

"Here." Katy came up with a knife and helped.

"Ah, thanks," Daniel replied gratefully when finally free. "The damn thing was on too tight," He Rubbed at the corners of his mouth with a wince.

"So, are we talking about what just happened?" Katy asked, eyeing Heather. "Like how you're not acting like usual, Heather."

"Hm, her," Heather mumbled.

"Or how your eyes are glowing," Danial added. "Wait, what do you mean her?"

"I'm a Lumeye, that's all." Heather sighed. "Can we talk about this later?" She held up her arm, and her sniper rifle flew back into her hands. "I don't like how open this area is."

Katy's expression was thoughtful. Her gaze moved between the girl who had just become a stranger and the sniper rifle. "You're right. We'll talk about this later." She reluctantly agreed. Since you appear to be alone, where did the others go?"

"Something about a base within the city," Heather answered.

"Then we need this," she said as she grabbed the walkie from Farris's body. And we should salvage what we can from the other bodies," she said, Giving Daniel a nudge.

Daniel looked like he had just woken up from a dream. "Oh, that's right, food and weapons."

"But…fine, but make it quick; we don't have much time." Heather was only half paying attention because of something off in the distance. "The Zombies are replenishing faster than I thought. No wonder…" She lightly kicked the body at her feet. "They're most likely coming from the same place."

***

Tunnel Base

As Stella's screams turned into sobs.

Rachel couldn't tear her eyes away. There were five people strapped down and hooked up, and a container was placed in the middle of the room with what looked like lightning trapped inside, pumping something into the five people. However, what was the most horrifying was that there was matted blood everywhere, signs that they had struggled for a long time, their bodies were twitching in pain, and the stark terror and hopelessness written on each of their faces.

All but one that was. Completely riddled with Vine, there was nothing about him that was human. He kept banging until he shattered his prison and went after the scientists. Rachel closed her eyes as screams filled the room, the sound of bullets and nothing.

"Why," Rachel whispered.

"Why not." A male voice came from behind them. Rachel turned to find someone not so unexpected.

"Rylan, it's been a long time." Rachel tried to keep her voice calm and looked behind them. "Randel, I guess that our engagement is over."

Randell kept silent and turned his eyes away. Rachel wasn't surprised; he had always been a coward, especially when his older brother was involved.

However, it was not like she wasn't hurt either. Their engagement was arranged, and there was never love, but there was respect. Rachel even thought of him as a friend but guessed she was wrong.

Why was I sad?

"You don't seem surprised." Rylan comments.

"To be honest, not really," Rachel stated. It was either you or my family." She wouldn't put it past the Lui family, especially her grandparents, to kidnap her and bring her back into the family fold—for appearance's sake, at least, but it was a relief they hadn't. "Why?"

"Your family was getting a little high-handed lately. They've been making decisions in the Police department without my consent." The Lui's had much influence in the Police department. He continued, "So I thought an example was in order."

"Why me? I'm just a bastard in their eyes." Rachel wanted to stop talking; talking to a lunatic like Rylan wouldn't do her any good, but it was either that or screaming. Rachel didn't like where this conversation was going.

He smiled. "Exactly. I needed something to make them notice, but not big enough to damage them. I still need them."

And he doesn't need me. Rachel thought, her throat going dry.

"I'm grateful that you will be honoured to be part of the advancement of humanity. Think about it: all the benefits of the Vine survivors without the destruction." He snapped his fingers. The two guards from earlier dragged Dr. Ramerez in. "All this wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for her. The creator of Artificial Atmospheric Ripples."

Rachel whipped her head back at the lightning. "Those are Ripples?" Rachel cried out in shock. "You are creating those things, advancing humanity? Do we see the same thing here?"

Rylan waved his hand dismissively. "That's only a setback. And even setbacks have their uses."

Rachel could only think of one reason. "You're making an army."

"And you're going to be part of it. Be grateful."

Dr. Rameriz spat out. "Monster."

Rylan rounded on her, "Who's the Monster? I saved you from execution, and this is how you repay me?"

"I would rather be dead," Dr. Ramerez glared.

"Not before I'm finished with you." When the older woman didn't respond. "Grab Miss. Lui!"

In reassurance, Rachel squeezed Stella's shoulders and pushed her toward the computer terminal before she was dragged into the experiment room. Stella cried out, "Don't take her." Rachel began to struggle like mad, hitting, biting, and kicking. The harder for them, the better for her. She even got a piece of Rylan. Anger filled his face.

"I need more help!" A guard cried out.

Suddenly, more surrounded her—even Rylan. And I thought that was beneath him.

As soon as they strapped Rachel into the machine, only Stella, Dr. Ramerez, and Randell were left inside.

Rylan looked gleeful. "I'm going to enjoy this." He shoved a Scientist aside, pressed some buttons, and turned on the machine. Rachel kept smiling, her eyes never straying from Stella's face, as the doors slammed shut and locked. Meanwhile, Dr. Ramerez came up behind Randell and knocked him unconscious.

Thinking mentally to Va. Come quick.

2