Rippled Mirage: Chapter 39
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mysterious Location

Lilia was freaking out, and she didn't know what to do. She was trapped, and there was no way out. She wanted to save Stella, but Lilia didn't even know why Stella was taken, let alone where. It was frustrating.

I need to get out of here. I need to…

Then it hit her. It was gradual at first, but then the world became silent. All her senses were so dulled that it might as well be non-existent, and with how much that smelly concoction that Sonia made Lilia weak, this collar made it ten times worse. It was like being trapped in one of her Mimics, minus the telepathy. It was horrible. It felt like she wasn't herself anymore.

All that was bad, but the worst part was that disconnect, the emptiness. Where five others used to be, there was nothing. It was the first time in years that Lilia was alone, and despite all her complaining, she didn't like it, not one bit.

Lilia strained against her chains, trying to break free. Then she heard a slicing sound with her frailing around, and she stilled. She looked at her feet and found that one of Sonia's water strings had sliced through the bottom of her boot and some skin.

It was a good thing, too, because Lilia was inches away from losing her head.

She closed her eyes. Calm down. I need to calm down. I need to think of anything to get out of here. For Stella! Lilia's thoughts paused, hearing something odd. What's that?

Lilia's ears felt like they were plugged up with water. Then, a big popping sound came roaring back, hitting her like a battling ram at full speed. After that, another plowed into me, then another. It didn't take long for my fragile mental defences to be shredded instantly, and all Lilia could do was take it.

"Lilia!" Silva's voice rang through. Soon after, Sil and Va came kicking and screaming back and were absorbed into my body.

"Sil…Va," Lilia stuttered, but no one answered. However, one image after another was forced into her brain. They were their memories. Most were a blurred mess, and others…. Not only was Stella taken, but Rachel was kidnapped, Shadow with Andres chasing after them. Then it changed to Terran, standing against an army of Zombies. Next, it switched to Heather shooting at the Protector; the image changed to Heather falling. Finally, there was even a glimpse of Druid fighting through guards and Zombies alike.

Too much. It was overwhelming. Lilia's brain felt like it was about to burst. Seconds later, not only her brain but her scars were burning, spreading rapidly throughout her body. Lilia knew she'd die if she didn't do something soon, taking Druid and the others with her. Who will help Rachel and Stella, then?

With a last cry for help… I can't let it end like this!

"Listen." There were a lot of voices in that world. Lilia could pick up Silva's voice and even that fox's. Running out of obtains, all Lilia could do was comply. Lilia's world became still, and Lilia was just flooding into nothing. She couldn't think, couldn't do anything.

That was when she heard it.

"Nothing is working!"

"I'm so tired."

"I need to protect them!"

"I'll kill him! I'll kill him! I'll kill him!"

"They must not find out."

Five scenes were on display in front of Lilia. Her Links fought against overwhelming odds, and some were losing badly. It was so frustrating. Was this some kind of torture? They were fighting for their lives; all she could do was watch. It felt like a bad dream or something.

"You've got to be kidding me?" Lilia whispered.

"Lilia." Silva's pained voice spoke from behind her.

She whirled around to see them in their Griffon form, curling up in pain, shimmering in and out of existence.

"No! No! No! Don't go!" Lilia sobbed and rushed over and laid her head on Silva's fur, a futile hope that her touch might keep them from disappearing. "I don't know what to do."

"If we disappear…."

"I know!" Lilia whispered. She could feel how much power they were holding back. If they disappeared, she'd be flooded with too much power. Then she would die…along with her Links. "I can't let that happen."

"Maybe that will help!" Silva nodded at something right behind Lilia.

Lilia turned and couldn't help but jump with startlement to find those torturous five scenes that appeared right behind her. "This? No, this is just a figment of my…." Suddenly, she banged her fist into one of the scenes. When her hand felt no resistance, Lilia's eyes widened. "Crap!" Not just her submerged hand but her whole body fell through.

Tunnels

When Lilia opens her eyes, she finds herself in a different location. "The scene I just say… Isn't this Druid's area." Lilia shook her head. "No, this can't be real."

She slowly got to her feet just when a Zombie passed through her. She felt it, and it was like a jolt to her system. Lilia shuttered. "More real than I thought." As she looked around, she saw guards and zombies everywhere. She should be freaking out, but Lilia felt very detached as if she wasn't even there.

"Lilia?"

Lilia looked up to find Druid close. Druid looked like she had gone through the wringer. "Are you…" Lilia reached out. Her hand went through, like before, but some of Lilia's essence, her power, was left behind. "Huh?"

"Lilia, I thought…I couldn't feel you, I thought.." Druid was grateful but confused. It looked like she still couldn't see me. "This's nuts. I can hear you, but where are you."

"I don't understand…." But then, suddenly, Lilia felt something coming. "Watch it!" She tried to push Druid but just went through her instead. "Well, this sucks."

It was a good thing Druid didn't need Lilia's help as she shot some fire at a gray-haired woman, and as the woman flicked the flame away, Druid teleported away.

Lilia's perspective shifted, and she was right beside Druid again. "Okay, that's weird." She shuttered. Lilia wasn't used to her new state. Her head was confused, and this buzzing sound was slowly getting louder. Lilia wasn't sure if she didn't imagine the whole thing.

One thing was for sure. Druid was way too Druid-like to be a fake. And if that was the case, she didn't know what to think. Maybe this was another form of torture.

"I can't shake her. Every time I try, her wind power just sweeps my flames away like nothing, and if she gets close, she uses those doublegangers. Also, my foresight isn't working properly." Druid was worn out. No wonder. Druid's ability to see a few seconds into the future was something she depended on, especially in a fight. To lose that suddenly, she must be losing her mind. "And I lost sight of everyone."

"Wind, huh," I mumbled thoughtfully. "Why not use that to your advantage?"

"You mean, use the air like fuel?" Druid shook her head. "My flame isn't strong enough."

Lillia stared at her hands; realization dawned. "Maybe not torture, after all."

"What are you…? Just a minute…." Suddenly, there was shouting. A guard just as he was about to shoot Druid in the back, her whip was already entangled around his throat. Then, the gray-haired woman appeared out of nowhere. Druid kicked the soldier into the woman, and she disappeared. Druid ran, sliding through the fighting zombies and guards and finding cover on the other side.

Lilia shifted again, but this time, it was different. This time, she felt herself distorting and split into two. One was beside Bryson, whispering in his ear before snapping back to Druid.

Okay, I officially don't like this out-of-body experience. And that buzzing sound—is it ever going to go away?

"Lilia, are you still there?"

"Yes, I'm here. So I may be able to give you a power boost." When Druid was about to respond. "No more questions. Just let me do this, okay?"

Druid finally nodded but with a pained look. "Even with the boost, I don't know if I could beat her." Lilia understood. She knew first-hand that dealing with Sonia wasn't just about the power difference. It was about the experience. In comparison, she felt like a toddler.

But right now, that didn't matter.

Lilia reached out to her other self, who was still with Bryson and smiled. "You don't have to. All you'll have to do is buy some time."

***

Druid was now walking in the open, and flames followed every step. "I've got to say this can be addictive," she said as fire crawled up her body and lit up the edges of her hair. I don't like what this might cost you."

"Shh, you're supposed to be bait, remember?"

"Lilia…"

"This will help me, believe me," Hopefully. Lilia was still winging it, but at least she wasn't just watching anymore. "I see here."

"Okay, time to be bait." Druid walked confidently forward, allowing the gray-haired clones to surround her. Talan, her name is Talan, her other self whispered.

"Are you done hiding?" One of the Talons stepped forward. "Ah, too bad."

Druid didn't say anything. She only smiled gleefully as she gathered her flames and toasted all the clones around her. Then, she aimed her flames at Talan, clashing with her wind.

"You bitch." Talan gritted her teeth as more clones appeared and tried to hold onto Druid, and like before, she burned them away.

Druid pushed with more fire, her feet hovering above the ground. Lilia kept feeding her power, but there was only so much Druid could take. Lilia could already feel the strain.

"Druid," Lilia warned.

"I know," Druid stated, "How long?"

"He's almost ready, but Druid, you need to hold her there," Lilia stated as she stared in Bryson's direction. "Druid, you might…."

"I know." Her voice came out in a scream.

That was when the ground rumbled, screaming and running feet soon followed. "Brace yourself."

The water smashed through the side and came borrowing toward them. However, Druid didn't hesitate and pushed further even when the water slammed into her.

Druid felt like she was churning around in a funnel….until a hand came out of nowhere, gripping Druid and pulling her out.

Statson held her as she coughed out some water. "No, no," Druid mumbled, trying to escape his hold.

"Easy now, Fire Princess, you're safe," Statson consoled.

"Where is she?"

 "Who."

"Lilia." Druid looked up just as Bryson jumped out of the water. "Where is she?"

Bryson's only response was... "I don't know."

2